BB hires son Steven as coaching assistant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

BB hires son Steven as coaching assistant

Found this tidbit at the bottom of Shalise's column today;

New England also hired Joe Judge as a special teams assistant; Judge was most recently on Nick Saban's staff at Alabama as football analyst; and Steve Belichick, son of head coach Bill Belichick, was hired as a coaching assistant.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/patriots_offici_3.html

I think its a blessing that BB gets to work so closely with his son and is able to mentor him in the family business. This is probably how BB got his start from his dad. Another "genius" in the making?! Two Belichiks are better than one!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: BB hires son Steven as coaching assistant

best coach in the modern era. bb and kraft hoping the fb I.Q. is in the genes. 
    the other teams in the league hoping not.

bb started watching film as a child though .... and loved it because he got to be near his dad. i dont know if steve had that experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Time will tell. But BB is a coaching genius, so it's asking a lot for Stephen to be even close to that level. One can only hope that he does have potential, and that if he doesn't then that he won't be elevated to any significant position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Stephen's been on the sidelines for quite some time.  Not at all surprised at this move.  Don't know if Stephen will rise to his Dad's level of genius (pretty tough act to follow) but it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not a shocker. Wasn't BB an assistant to his dad?

A lot of coaching families hire their kids as assistances because they are typically close to the team starting at a very young age and know the system very well. I hope this kid has his fathers and grandfathers genes just waiting to come out. You never know it might go BB - /> McDaniels -> Steve. 3 generations of coaches already established in the organization, wouldn't that be something.

BTW we've all seen clips of BB on the sidelines grilling his kid during camps. This kid is bright and knows his stuff but, knowledge won't get you far without the right attitude. Though, being BB's kid will give him some respect in any locker room

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to BB hires son Steven as coaching assistant:
    [QUOTE]Found this tidbit at the bottom of Shalise's column today; New England also hired Joe Judge as a special teams assistant; Judge was most recently on Nick Saban's staff at Alabama as football analyst; and Steve Belichick, son of head coach Bill Belichick, was hired as a coaching assistant. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/patriots_offici_3.html I think its a blessing that BB gets to work so closely with his son and is able to mentor him in the family business. This is probably how BB got his start from his dad. Another "genius" in the making?! Two Belichiks are better than one!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]its great nepotism. the kid's qualified and will outwork them all. he knows what he's getting into. its a multigenerational thing. also have grown to like the chris simms hire. like how he's planning for the pats' future. assuming we have no clots-like disasters or saints issues, this is a succession plan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Lets hope BB stays coaching here long enough that his son can take over in the distant future!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Nice.

I half jokingly said a few months ago he may be the future head coach when I was looking at the reality of BB's age, and the fact he's been on his hip for a few years now. He follows him during practices, goes over film with him, I've even seen a few clips where he will quiz him.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I'd be more likely to want his kid to get a shot than some ego-driven guy from a college program, or a coordinator from another team.

Hopefully I don't find out for about another 7 years or so, BB is 60 right now. 60! How many 60 year old coaches do well in modern NFL? How many 65 year olds? I imagine his time will be up soon, maybe he goes into the exec suites, I don't know. But knowing Belichick, it wouldn't surprise me if he's had plans in motion for a few years already.

3rd generation football lifers, that's a good start. Steve laid the foundation, Bill built upon that, seems fitting that a 'Steve' would then take the reigns back.

In about 20 years, little Bundchen-Brady ought to be ready to tear the NFL apart too!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

its good to be the king!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I was real happy that BB felt he could hire Steve. Can't go wrong in that family tree, and BB deserves the reward of seeing his son succeed with us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

personally i am going to wait before hailing steve belichick the heir to the legends which are bill belichick and steve belichick his father

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Best of all, BB has found someone who will not be hired away by rivals for a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Not really a big news item.BB will send him off to coaching finishing school at Alabama or Iowa if he needs any specific training.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I dislike nepotism. I could see if the kid had gone off somewhere and coached like say Holy Cross and got them a championship, but just to be handed a job like that without merit is bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

In response to "Re: BB hires son Steven as coaching assistant": [QUOTE]I dislike nepotism. I could see if the kid had gone off somewhere and coached like say Holy Cross and got them a championship, but just to be handed a job like that without merit is bad. Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE] I agree with half of what you wrote. Even if Steven had been a successful college coach, I don't like father and son's working together in the Pro's. Every father and son(s) coaching relationship on the same team has been unsuccessful. i.e. Marty Schottenheimer, Don Shula, Buddy Ryan and Bum Phillips. These are the head coaches who hired their son(s) and the the son(s) were not successful. Steven is better off going to another team and getting experience.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

C'mon disbelievers! The kid's a coaching assistant. He gets Bill coffee and learn's proper coaching methods for a few years. Let's not hang our SB predictions on this move. It's ok!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

A little insight on Steve.  Seems the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.  :-)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4722160/francis-belichick-continue-friendship