BB literally putting on a clinic.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: BB literally putting on a clinic.

I find it odd that he is inviting Tampa Bay this year with playing the Buc's in season and in preseason. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I find it odd that he is inviting Tampa Bay this year with playing the Buc's in season and in preseason. 

When you add in the frequent dealing the teams have done (Winslow, Talib, now Blount) it's wierd. 

Not to mention BB just hired Schiano's entire college defense. Perhaps Schiano helped him dearly with a development plan for those kids?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to neinmd's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/05/buccaneers_schi_1.html

This is a really interesting piece on Extra Points. It's quite a gesture by BB to Schiano. It also gives draftniks and fans a window into BBs connection with Rutgers, and how much stock he puts into trusted opinions from coaches. 

Still, it is amazing that in what is still a business that coaches would help each other like this out of cameraderie. It's also a testament to BB's professionalism that other coaches would come seek his guidance with these "front office" and "coaches office" logistics.

I would also like to add that if you have a system that you are WAY down the learning curve on, it is smart to prosletyze it across the industry.  The higher its adoption rate, the greater your chances of building your cycles of learning advantage.

Please explain why this could be so in this case.

I think, real simplistically, it's like this. 

You, and two other guys play Texas Holdem as a poker team, splitting your winnings. You go to a bar where everyone has a team tournament, but they play 5 card. 

If you export your game, you ensure your advantage in every contest in perpetuity given that you are "way down the curve" as Neimd says. Even as your opponents become more comfortable with holdem, your experience continues to stack on theirs. You never have to worry about competing with them at 5 card.

Second, you make it easier to fill holes in your team should anyone leave, or should you isolate a weak link, etc, because now ... everyone knows how to play holdem at least at a basic level.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

ZB, thanks for the link and for the thread.  It truly is a tribute to the organizational talents of BB regardless of the capacity in which he is operating.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/05/buccaneers_schi_1.html

This is a really interesting piece on Extra Points. It's quite a gesture by BB to Schiano. It also gives draftniks and fans a window into BBs connection with Rutgers, and how much stock he puts into trusted opinions from coaches. 

Still, it is amazing that in what is still a business that coaches would help each other like this out of cameraderie. It's also a testament to BB's professionalism that other coaches would come seek his guidance with these "front office" and "coaches office" logistics.

I would also like to add that if you have a system that you are WAY down the learning curve on, it is smart to prosletyze it across the industry.  The higher its adoption rate, the greater your chances of building your cycles of learning advantage.

You, and two other guys play Texas Holdem as a poker team, splitting your winnings. You go to a bar where everyone has a team tournament, but they play 5 card. 

If you export your game, you ensure your advantage in every contest in perpetuity given that you are "way down the curve" as Neimd says. Even as your opponents become more comfortable with holdem, your experience continues to stack on theirs. You never have to worry about competing with them at 5 card.

Second, you make it easier to fill holes in your team should anyone leave, or should you isolate a weak link, etc, because now ... everyone knows how to play holdem at least at a basic level.

Only problem I see with this theory is......

What if your system is far superior to the other guys? Sure, you are more advanced in the system but you just improved him, and other factors he may have going for him that are superior to yours (such as a better defense for example) may vault him ahead of you. Any way you slice it, you made him better and that can't help you in a competition with other factors in play.

I think the theory is viable in a void. But the NFL isn't a void.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

What if your system is far superior to the other guys? Sure, you are more advanced in the system but you just improved him, and other factors he may have going for him that are superior to yours (such as a better defense for example) may vault him ahead of you. Any way you slice it, you made him better and that can't help you in a competition with other factors in play.

My guess is that it's viable outside a void. 

By student of leadership, I took it that Neimd meant himself. I would be willing to bet (though he could just be some guy, lol) this is what he has experience in, and that this idea, of scaffolding an industry based on your managment model, is possibly tried and true. 

Or it could just be from Niemd. Haha. 

At any rate .... it's the most plausible answer I've read. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Belichick seems to appreciate everything he's learned from the coaches who went before him and who helped him make his way in his career.  I think it's important for him to help others to show his appreciation and gratitude to those who helped him.  Belichick really has a strong sense of the history of the game and the legacies those before him created.  I think as he gets older, he sees himself as having a duty, almost, to lay the foundations for others to carry the game forward when he's gone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

By student of leadership, I took it that Neimd meant himself. I would be willing to bet (though he could just be some guy, lol) this is what he has experience in, and that this idea, of scaffolding an industry based on your managment model, is possibly tried and true. 

I think you pretty much summed it up. The key is to get everyone to play on your turf, by your rules, and with your processes. Then you let cycles of learning take over. If it's taken you 5 years, say, to understand the exceptions to the rules by which you run your organization, even if it takes the new guy half the time to get there, you have another 2.5 years of further learning. Another advantage is that you can bring in players that have some familiarity with your system and processes, and they will add value to your overall work product faster than a more talented guy out of a "foreign" system. I know it sounds like a lot of theory but I think BB lives it. So do other great leaders.

Having said that, in no way did I mean to diminish the strength of BB's relationships in the football industry and his allegiance to them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Another advantage is that you can bring in players that have some familiarity with your system and processes, and they will add value to your overall work product faster than a more talented guy out of a "foreign" system.

So, by the same token, the person you show your system can now utilize players from your system more efficiently. No seeing a big advantage from that aspect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think you pretty much summed it up. The key is to get everyone to play on your turf, by your rules, and with your processes.

This does not negate the fact that if your system is better and you are sharing it with them you have improved your competitor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's plausible and perhaps probable...at least between 2 teams whose coaches have mutual respect for one another, are not in the same division and can share ideas openly and freely without worry.

for the system to be adopted and built upon , doesn't it require adoption by more than 1 team? Wouldn't you want to invite more teams in, share your knowledge amongst them and then reap the benefits of the system at work? 

i think the explanation is a p.ausible one, but I don't think bb is intent on creating a consistent management practice across the entire nfl...just amongst a close knit of folks he wants to work with that can implement, test and optimize kind of like a small think tank...

what I struggle with is if this is by design or just an outcome of a tight friendship where 2 coaches talk and share good practices?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In an era of free agency and salary caps, the only enduring competitive advantage for a team is its management and its learning curve. Bill is brilliant at both. He has a strategic vision and stays true to it but he also has the ability to create processes and structure that allow him to step-and-repeat his way to consistent success while the world around him changes and evolves. You have to be a student of leadership to truly appreciate what he has built. I would also like to add that if you have a system that you are WAY down the learning curve on, it is smart to prosletyze it across the industry. The higher its adoption rate, the greater your chances of building your cycles of learning advantage. I am not saying that this is why BB is opening his inner sanctum to the Bucs, but it does not hurt him or the Patriots. This guy is very special leader and we as fans, and the Krafts as stockholders, are very fortunate to have him guiding the Patriots.

Nice post, ZB!

Thanks for the great post...

a few questions /comments...

1. Do you think bb's system is way down the learning curve? I think the reasoning would be justified if his system was immature, and he wanted to share as you suggest to bulid a cycle of learning.. But, if he has a system that is superior, what can he learn from others who implement it that may be way down the learning curve to start ? Don't they have to at least reach a certain level of maturity and experience in said system before bb sees any benefit?

2. is this more about learning and reaping the benefits of a system at work, or, more about creating or instilling bb's management practices elsewhere so that he can better recruit talent who are more prepared in the patriots way to reduce their learning curve? If you read what the newly acquired Rutgers kids said, they all mention how familiar the pats system is to them. This reduces their learning curve after being acquired, and, if they are successful in college playing in a similar system with a similar language, it would stand to reason they have a higher probability of success upon entering Foxborough...it maximuzes the probability they succeed as part of the pats organization...

3. Personally, I think this is more about personnel than systems. My point 2 above. It's no coincidence bb has shared himself and his system more with college coaches than pros. Schiano as we know was a college coach first. I think bb's true motivation is to create a patriots farm system in the college rank. By sharing his practices with college coaches and watching potential draft picks play within his system. By doing this, he should be ble to get a very good glimpse into if the player can play within his system, the projection he has to make is significantly lessened, increasing his probability of success with any one player. This would also seem to be supported by the fact he drafts in droves from the colleges , often taking more than 1 at a time and over time Where he has shared his system. 

I think the invitation of Tampa to Foxborough is the next natural extension of the system as more of bb's college coaches go to the pros. He can develop not a farm system, but a trading system. I am interested to see what he does with chip Kelly. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

why help another team?

why woudl bb draft all these rutgers players shciano woudlnt draft.

bb's college coaches opinons have gone as much poorly as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

An aspect of this whole discussion that I think has been touched on in several posts but, in my judgment, bears repeating is the human element as it relates to who is actually making the system work.  Simply because another organization gets a good look at how the model organization is structured and how it operates doesn't necessarily equate to equivalent success.  I've seen this borne out in other industries and disciplines.  How BB structures and runs an organization clearly works and one of the more important reasons that it does is BB himself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

I think it would be a mistake to think of BB's gesture as just a faor to Schiano.  It's true BB has something to offer that Schiano was interested, but BB respects Schiano, and I'm sure he expexts to learn something in return.  He might be hoping to fine-tune is operation by hearing how others run theirs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to geek's comment:

I think it would be a mistake to think of BB's gesture as just a faor to Schiano.  It's true BB has something to offer that Schiano was interested, but BB respects Schiano, and I'm sure he expexts to learn something in return.  He might be hoping to fine-tune is operation by hearing how others run theirs.

To teach is to learn, to learn is to teach

To help is to be helped, to be helped is to help.

There are many valid ways one can understand this discussion. From a psychological perspective, Eric Erikson's theory of generativity (giving one's wisdom and knowledge to future generations) is a capstone point. Clearly, there are deep benefits to the giver as the previous discussions continue to point out. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"He will look to slide his agenda in at every turn."

Which is probably the thing that binds the two of you (Rusty and Babe) so closely and drives the rest of us nuts. 

The only reason you didn't have to "slide" your agenda in is because your agenda is already furthered by ZBellino's post. No offense to ZBellino who is one of our all-time best posters and was just sharing useful info.

Of course the problem with agendas is that you only intake new information that confirms your agenda. Making the idea of discussion a fraud. Welcome to propoganda posing as discussion. I've got both of your agendas memorized by now. I could actually take over for either of your handles if you decide to leave...

You sidetracked this thread as much as Babe did in the end, congrats. 

As for BB, this is the kind of stuff that continues to set him apart as a coach and I love that he feels no need to get credit publicly for the things he does...

Pffft. Don't lump me in with this wacko. If you cannot see the difference then you no longer are deserving of the respect I held for you.

Babe, if it makes you feel any better I think you are one of the better posters on here and in no way should ever be lumped in with rusty. You tell it like it is and people have a problem with that. Rusty on the other hand tells it like it isn't and never admits how wrong he is. I've seen you admit when you were wrong (like most of us do), and in my opinion that makes you a much better poster than our village idiot.

As for the sharing of information, I don't think it's a big deal. These coaches are always in their own little community...coaches like to help each other. No one really knows what they are "sharing"...I imagine it's things like practice scheduling...when to let off on the players...when to put your finger down...how to manage injuries...manage the practice squad, etc. I'm certain actual playbook stuff is off limits.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Good thread, but can some of you please leave your animosity at the door?  You dislike eachother, we get it. 

I am willing to bet that BB and his staff get something out of this as well.  Not everyone on BB's staff is BB in terms of experience and NFL tenure.  I am sure Schiano's staff can offer something of value to the younger guys on BB's staff who have never been coordinators or head coaches either.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In an era of free agency and salary caps, the only enduring competitive advantage for a team is its management and its learning curve. Bill is brilliant at both. He has a strategic vision and stays true to it but he also has the ability to create processes and structure that allow him to step-and-repeat his way to consistent success while the world around him changes and evolves. You have to be a student of leadership to truly appreciate what he has built. I would also like to add that if you have a system that you are WAY down the learning curve on, it is smart to prosletyze it across the industry. The higher its adoption rate, the greater your chances of building your cycles of learning advantage. I am not saying that this is why BB is opening his inner sanctum to the Bucs, but it does not hurt him or the Patriots. This guy is very special leader and we as fans, and the Krafts as stockholders, are very fortunate to have him guiding the Patriots.

Nice post, ZB!

Thanks for the great post...

a few questions /comments...

1. Do you think bb's system is way down the learning curve? I think the reasoning would be justified if his system was immature, and he wanted to share as you suggest to bulid a cycle of learning.. But, if he has a system that is superior, what can he learn from others who implement it that may be way down the learning curve to start ? Don't they have to at least reach a certain level of maturity and experience in said system before bb sees any benefit?

I think at this point the Pats have processes that are quite mature. Part of the maturity of a process comes from the efficiency with which your organization deploys, executes and communicates. Another part is the degree to which the organization is aware of process exceptions in specific instances and circumstances. By both those measures, you would have to say BB runs a mature organization that's quite a ways down its learning curve. Nevertheless, a good organization never stops learning and adapting. BB pays attention to what other teams do and how they are changing their game planning, game-by-game. He is watching, learning and adapting. My point is that if you can disseminate your general processes and keep some specific elements to yourself, then you end up with an advantage. As ZB points out, this is not limited to the football business, in the technology world open source strategies have done exactly this.

2. is this more about learning and reaping the benefits of a system at work, or, more about creating or instilling bb's management practices elsewhere so that he can better recruit talent who are more prepared in the patriots way to reduce their learning curve? If you read what the newly acquired Rutgers kids said, they all mention how familiar the pats system is to them. This reduces their learning curve after being acquired, and, if they are successful in college playing in a similar system with a similar language, it would stand to reason they have a higher probability of success upon entering Foxborough...it maximuzes the probability they succeed as part of the pats organization...

I think it's both. There is a reason BB recruits the way he does, both at a draft stage and in free agency. He is looking for the right components for HIS system, not the best players available. He will take a less talented CB if he can fit his system. Now the fact is that individual performances can sometimes overcome team advantages (David can slay Goliath occasionally) but the odds are that it will take an exceptional performance and those are rare. Maybe less rare in one-game winner-takes-all scenarios but rare nevertheless. So learning organizations play these odds for a more consistent performance.

3. Personally, I think this is more about personnel than systems. My point 2 above. It's no coincidence bb has shared himself and his system more with college coaches than pros. Schiano as we know was a college coach first. I think bb's true motivation is to create a patriots farm system in the college rank. By sharing his practices with college coaches and watching potential draft picks play within his system. By doing this, he should be ble to get a very good glimpse into if the player can play within his system, the projection he has to make is significantly lessened, increasing his probability of success with any one player. This would also seem to be supported by the fact he drafts in droves from the colleges , often taking more than 1 at a time and over time Where he has shared his system.

I won't argue that point. I think there is merit in both aspects. But if your objective is to get better personnel matches over time, then consider the systems competitive advantage a bonus.

I think the invitation of Tampa to Foxborough is the next natural extension of the system as more of bb's college coaches go to the pros. He can develop not a farm system, but a trading system. I am interested to see what he does with chip Kelly. 

Thanks for a thoughtful post and comments. ZB got us all thinking about an aspect of BB's "method for madness" that was worth discussing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

Geez, some people here are really reading way to much into this. Couldn't it be that he is simply doing what coaches like Ted Marchibroda, Ray Perkins, Red Miller, Tommy Hudspeth, his dad and many others did for him. Can't it be as simple as he is just paying it forward???

I agree. I think this is getting over-analyzed. BB is just doing a solid for a friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Babe, if it makes you feel any better I think you are one of the better posters on here and in no way should ever be lumped in with rusty. You tell it like it is and people have a problem with that. Rusty on the other hand tells it like it isn't and never admits how wrong he is. I've seen you admit when you were wrong (like most of us do), and in my opinion that makes you a much better poster than our village idiot.

As for the sharing of information, I don't think it's a big deal. These coaches are always in their own little community...coaches like to help each other. No one really knows what they are "sharing"...I imagine it's things like practice scheduling...when to let off on the players...when to put your finger down...how to manage injuries...manage the practice squad, etc. I'm certain actual playbook stuff is off limits.  

Appreciate the testimonial MT. The feeling is mutual.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

When you add in the frequent dealing the teams have done (Winslow, Talib, now Blount) it's wierd. 

Not to mention BB just hired Schiano's entire college defense. Perhaps Schiano helped him dearly with a development plan for those kids?

Could it be....

I'll draft a few of your kids and you give me a couple of sweet deals in trade?

Frankly, I a bit surprised some haven't made a stink about these dealings. After all, BB does have a reputation, deserved or not.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think it's great.  We are talking logistics here not X's and O's.  It shows BB has a great respect for the game and the fraternity of coaches.  

Sections
Shortcuts