BB Raving About McCourty

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: BB Raving About McCourty

I agree , moving Devin back to safety has been brilliant and has allowed us to play more agressive. Just have to try to keep guys healthy so he doesnt have to go back to CB. Oh and let me know when BB goes on record about  a player and it not praise. Let me go find the thread where he praised arrington. Maybe it will boost his confidence...lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Belichick: McCourty 'total team-first player' December, 24, 2012 Dec 24 1:41 PM ET By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com The Patriots were without starting cornerback Alfonzo Dennard in Week 16, and virtually without fellow starter Aqib Talib, who played just eight snaps while dealing with a hip issue that had limited him in practice all week.

But fortunately for the team, defensive captain Devin McCourty was ready to step back into his natural position at cornerback and transition from safety, where he has been playing since Week 7 as a result to injuries to both Patrick Chung and Steve Gregory.

On Monday, head coach Bill Belichick and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia lauded McCourty for his versatility.

"Devin gives us a lot of flexibility; he's such a versatile guy," Belichick said. "He's an excellent tackler, which makes him a candidate to play inside at safety. Of course, you know about his speed and toughness, good ball skills, and the fact that he can go outside and play competitively in this game, where we needed him, or come inside when we needed him in there at safety and give some stability back there.

"He's so unselfish. He’s well prepared. He's got a good set of skills for either position really, corner or safety," Belichick continued. "He's a total team-first player and I think that’s reflected in the fact that his teammates selected him as a captain in his second year on the team. That’s pretty unusual. That's the way he is; he's very unselfish and does what he needs to do or where he's needed and he does it well. He’s come through for us defensively and in the kicking game in a variety of roles."

Added Patricia, "Certainly Devin being an extremely strong player in our defense is a key cog for us [who] can do that and has that ability. When you’re a player that does that, it’s a very unselfish thing that you’re doing, obviously for the betterment of the team."

"Devin, obviously as a leader and a captain of our defense of our team, understands that and just wants to do whatever he can to help us win and certainly for him to be able to do that and continue to kind of be a multi-faceted player for us is very beneficial for us and a credit to his work and his preparation every week," Patricia said.

I tend to be skeptical when BB compliments a player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Seriously. Belichick loves that he can play multiple positions. Nevermind, that has been bad at corner for a season and a half now. They are better team with him at safety... because they are a worse team with him at CB!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

he has been playing very well at safety

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He played well at corner yesterday, Blackmon is going to be a force in the NFL for a long time, especially if they pair him with a solid QB.  Pressure from the Patriot front was suffering yesterday from the loss of Spikes bringing pressure up the middle.  Granted we'd be better off with a healthy Talib and Dennard at corner but only because McCourty was back there erasing mistakes and picking off passes...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree , moving Devin back to safety has been brilliant and has allowed us to play more agressive. Just have to try to keep guys healthy so he doesnt have to go back to CB. Oh and let me know when BB goes on record about  a player and it not praise. Let me go find the thread where he praised arrington. Maybe it will boost his confidence...lol

brilliant?

i usually am in a greement with you.

devcin, like mayo are players bb has overrted.

devin should have been moved to safety long ago as a last ditch effort to not have wasted the pick and hurt the team once, and hurt the team continually as long as bb kept him at corner.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Seriously. Belichick loves that he can play multiple positions. Nevermind, that has been bad at corner for a season and a half now. They are better team with him at safety... because they are a worse team with him at CB!

Have posted similar comments repeatedly for over a year since he originally played safety. Then Bing ... as soon as he plays one series at CB... TD jags.

he's wasted at CB.  His skills should be applied to entire field at safety. He looks frustrated at CB... Back turned chasing competently but not able to make the play...  Instincts at safety play in big time  ... Playing just far off enough to sucker the throw from QB then pick it off.  He's got it . 

Hopefully that was a stopgap emergency stint at CB... right bb...? Put your best player, captain , at SAFETY.    jags game brought back some bad memories...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's very good safety, funny thing is in McCourtys rookie year my brother was saying that they should move him to safety. I thought that he was nuts because Devin was having such a good year.. The secondary is much better now when they have everyone playing. Its not the same without Dennard and Talib. Call me crazy but I'm more worried about the offense in the playoffs. They still struggle against defenses that apply pressure, Brady takes a lot of hits and has thrown a few picks lately. Gronk coming back will be a huge lift, they are not the same without him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Devin is the smartest play in the secondary. 

That's saying a lot with Gregory, Chung and Talib back there. Talib and Gregory are seasoned veterans and Chung has been playing in this system for 5 years, but McCourty is still a lot more knowledgable than all of them. 

BB loves him because of that, Devin and Jerod's football acumen are comparable to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed to BB. That's how highly he thinks of them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

It seems like BB has always also said great things about Ravens S Ed Reed.  Both are fairly similar in size (McCourty being 1 inch shorter, 10lbs less).  I wonder if he stays at Safety and learns the position more if he will have a similar career.  I know that's alot to ask for, but you never know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

It seems like BB has always also said great things about Ravens S Ed Reed.  Both are fairly similar in size (McCourty being 1 inch shorter, 10lbs less).  I wonder if he stays at Safety and learns the position more if he will have a similar career.  I know that's alot to ask for, but you never know.

10 pounds in the offseason shouldn't be too hard. It's all about how his body responds to that much weight. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

exactly.

and good posts great contrutions by all. what this board should be not childish attacks.

Sections
Shortcuts