BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions?

From Haynesworth:
    "“It was a great place. Coach [Bill] Belichick is a great guy [with] a good system. But I just wanted to play more,’’ Haynesworth said. “I wanted to practice more, get more reps. The more reps, the more plays I get, the better I’ll get. I just wasn’t getting a lot of reps, so they made the decision to let me go.’’"

BB has acquired (and released) several big name veterans - some have worked out well, others, not so well.

Two that come to mind are Adalius Thomas and Albert Haynesworth. Both were believed to have the tools to make an immediate impact (relatively speaking). Neither, for whatever reason, met BB's or fan expectations.

The most public explanation is that the player didn't fit BB's system. Both players appeared to have a pretty good history of being impact players on former teams. So, is their poor performance with the Patriots due to their poor fit with BB's system or is it because BB failed to take advantage of their talent?

The reason why I'm asking is that sometimes "impact" players are allowed to do what they do best - and "systems" are modified slightly around their special talents. Revis, Palomalu, Suh....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions?

Haynesworth clearly gave up on the field on a number of plays. I don't think he gave it his all or deserved to be used every play.

AT on the other hand when he first came here showed great promise then his playing time gradually demised and his play followed suit. Not sure if his play started to decline because he wasn't being used right or he got less playing time because his play was declining. That's a hard one to call.

But it's an interesting subject considering the amount of vets on the D side that have come in recently who were productive before coming to the Pats and then just fizzled out while here. Maybe, we should stop signing older players if this is a sign of aging vets or maybe this system needs to be dumb down and simplified if no one can get it to BB's liking. Either way this D has been on a steady decline since 05' and something needs to be adjusted to start heading back in the right direction

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Given his performance (or lack of it), I think that's a weak argument in Hayneswoth's case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions?:
    [QUOTE]Given his performance (or lack of it), I think that's a weak argument in Hayneswoth's case.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. Haynesworth was a "late" acquisition. Add on top of that a shortened pre-season, Haynesworth being out of shape, and injuries - was he really afforded a real chance to learn the system and given enough time to get back into game shape?  I think, at times, he was performing BETTER than Ocho (which obviously isn't hard to do...lol). So, why keep Ocho and not keep Haynesworth?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I thought you mean like Shawn Ellis, Carter, Warren and Anderson. 

Haynes like everyone else needed to prove he should be on the field. He took longer to prove he should be there, and then in short order proved he doesn't belong on the field on any team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I thought you mean like Shawn Ellis, Carter, Warren and Anderson.  Haynes like everyone else needed to prove he should be on the field. He took longer to prove he should be there, and then in short order proved he doesn't belong on the field on any team. 
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

No sure if the folks you mentioned were "marquee" players. Besides, Ellis hasn't exactly panned out. Anderson doing better than expected. None of those folks are impact players/game changers.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Mixed bag...really depends on how the player responds to BB's idea of a responsive professional. (we could have a whole other discussion about last years draft picks)

Carter has worked out great. Welker worked out pretty well too (ok ancient history now but I thought I would mention it).

Haynesworth was bargain basement..a letdown considering his potential..but then image how the Skins feel.

AT - fairly big money , losts of promise coming at just he time the PAts needed to get propped up in the LB dept..BIG DISAPOINTMENT, but least he got reps and filled a hole more or less.

OCHO is the next big test..he is definately on the fence will play out no doubt in the next few weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think we look at players on other teams and decide they are a great fit for the Patriots.  The trouble is that most of the players we are looking at are not able to work in the system that BB runs.  BB runs a read and react defense.  Wilfork could easily be a sack machine if he was on a different team that allowed for an attacking defense.  When he first came to the team he was more of the attacking kind of player.  The problem with that was that he would be taken out of plays becouse he overpersued.  He learned to be a read and react player.  Clay Mathews looks great becouse of the system he is in.  If he was in NE, he would be considered undisciplined.  It is all about the system.  Bringing in older players is not a bad thing.  Roman Phifer was a good example of this.  Washington helped them win a superbowl.  Junior was another example in 2007 of a veteran brought in to help.  Not all veterans work out. Not all free agents work out.  Not all draft picks work out.  It is not a perfect system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I'd believe one single word this useless fat tub of goo says. This guy was out on the town every night; to me stuffing your face in public is not a way to fight for playing time. Bill doesn't just cut guys with that type of skill level unless they are major league turds - and that guy may be the biggest the NFL has seen in a long long time. He wanted to play and practice more? LMAO!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions? : I'm not so sure about that. Haynesworth was a "late" acquisition. Add on top of that a shortened pre-season, Haynesworth being out of shape, and injuries - was he really afforded a real chance to learn the system and given enough time to get back into game shape?  I think, at times, he was performing BETTER than Ocho (which obviously isn't hard to do...lol). So, why keep Ocho and not keep Haynesworth?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Fat Albert has been out of football shape for 3 years now. Paying attention to what was going on in Washington should have been BB's first clue. Tigers don't change their stripes.

Playing better than Ochostinko isn't really a reason to keep anyone on the team. What excatly is the explanation for BB's fascination with a 33 year old receiver who can't learn the playbook?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions!

BB Changed his defence from 3-4 to 4-3 after acquiring Al. He was 3-4 guru and changed it for players talents! It didn't work out. Al was out of shape, injured knee and back. When he was in the game, played very good snaps and then gassed out. If he was in shape, BB would have loved to keep him in the game for three downs. See Vince, he is playing all three downs now! May be he in not interested to revive his career?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

not enough snaps??......the ones he was in on he took off......how much rest did this guy need?? just saying all the right things to the media.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by mighty2012[/QUOTE]
     lmao...seriously, I rarely even read your stuff unless you post under my threads.

Mighty rose colored glass wearing koolaid drinking bb brown noser stalking me again. Wassamatta? can't keep your own promise last week to put me on ignore??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions!

In Response to Re: BB Under Utilizing Acquisitions!:
    [QUOTE]BB Changed his defence from 3-4 to 4-3 after acquiring Al. He was 3-4 guru and changed it for players talents! It didn't work out. Al was out of shape, injured knee and back. When he was in the game, played very good snaps and then gassed out. If he was in shape, BB would have loved to keep him in the game for three downs. See Vince, he is playing all three downs now! May be he in not interested to revive his career?
    Posted by Bradythebest[/QUOTE]

But isn't BB ultimately responsible that he has the right person for the scheme?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]dont believe Big Als B.s., this is on B.B. but onlu because he knows Shanahan and surely got a report on him before he got him and Al hasnt been good in 3 years. As far as Adalius, thats a fleece job. Didnt Ray Lewis say he was a system player? He had no nice words for his former teamate and Ray usually doesnt do that. The fact that noone can even tell you now where Adalius is tell me B,B. made a mistake breaking the bank. Could we have worse luck. Colvin with the hip and then A.D. A.D. never showed an ability to dominate at linebacker and we only got him because "oooooh, he can play everywhere, even safety"  NOT!! He had one good play while he was here in the S.D. game in 07 and sadly he played great in the SB when they unleashed him at OLB, but every other game he was mis used inside and innefective compared to what he did outside in SB 42 B.B. needs to stop falling in love w/players at the pro bowl, matter of fact he needs to stop coaching the pro bowk period. how does he do that? By not losing in the playoffs.
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

But isn't it BBs job to know the difference between a scout report on AT vs. a fleece job?

Sections
Shortcuts