BB's mistake on Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

BB's mistake on Defense

If any of you saw the green bay game, where you amazed at how Dom Capers called the Defensive plays?  I think BB should have demoted Dean Pees and promoted Dom to the D coordinator.

I know it's water under the bridge, but he reminded me of the Romeo Crennel era....

Since 2006, I've been contending that we have very good talent at D but that Pees stinks.  Last night, Dom Capers proved that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: BB's mistake on Defense

I can't say I disagree with you. I wish the Patriots will call some more exotic blitzes, I'm tired of the bend but not break defense. We run a potent offense, we should be taking more risks and blitzing more. We can make up points in a hurry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

I totally agree, I started a thread last week to Dump Pees. We had the perfect Chance to promote Capers. He is a proven winner in this league for years. Others jumped down my throat saying BB makes all the defensive decisions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

"Others jumped down my throat saying BB makes all the defensive decisions. "

I've read that a lot, especially several times from Mike Reiss saying that the Defense belongs to Belichick.  Fair enough from a schematic and game planning point of view.  But not from a call-by-call basis once the game starts.

Otherwise, how would you explain the major success we had during the Romeo Crennel era and now... and no, it's not just about better players back then.... we have good players now, just bad Defensive calls. 

I'm hoping Dean or BB will make our D much more aggressive!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1435025. Show user_1435025's posts

I agree that Pee's is vanilla however, the Pats secondary last year was not good enough to play man to man.  At the beginning of last year, they tried some blitzing, however they got burned because of there inability to cover man to man. This year I am hoping we will see some more blitzing because I believe the secondary is much better than last year and I believe the pats are going to surprise alot of teams with this secondary.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Patriots dont have as good of a secondary to sit back anymore in coverage. They need to blitz the quarterback more often. They now have personal to do exactly this with the speed of Banta-Cain, Burgess, Green, Meriweather, and Mayo. BB is a master of filling the Gaps, but we all know that pressure on the QBs will help our defensive weakness in the secondary. The QBs dont have the time to check down or the time to make accurate decisions with the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adaly99. Show adaly99's posts

If I recall by the end of last season they were bringing more crafty blitzes that reminded me of the earlier part of the decade.  I think you have to grow and develop the concept of team defense, and if you don't have people all on the same page then blitzing just to blitz isn't a great plan.

I think as the season stretches on and this unit develops we'll see a more aggressive type of defense.  It's all about development.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

" agree that Pee's is vanilla however, the Pats secondary last year was not good enough to play man to man.  At the beginning of last year, they tried some blitzing, however they got burned because of there inability to cover man to man"

The only reason our secondary was exposed was due to the lack of pressure up front.  Again, you can argue personnel, but I'm sticking to my guns that the type of pressure called by Pees was horrible and that was vanilla.... easily picked up by blocking schemes.
    The only "exotic" blitze that I remember last year was when he had Meriweather blitze during the seattle game.  That came right after BB and Pees were talking on the sideline.... makes you wonder who called that?

If we drop more in coverage to help, that gives QBs all day to find someone open and look like an elite QB.... including the likes of Feeley and the backup Ravens QB from 2007.

It's all about pressure upfront.... but more importantly how you deliver this pressure.
    That's what impressed my about Dom Capers yesterday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 671Chay. Show 671Chay's posts

you havent seen the Pats play on good (or better ) teams like the Bears/Packers this year and yet you are already doubting the defense.  Why dont we wait and see how they (defense) play buffalo and give our assessment?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

In Response to Re: BB's mistake on Defense:
    you havent seen the Pats play on good (or better ) teams like the Bears/Packers this year and yet you are already doubting the defense.  Why dont we wait and see how they (defense) play buffalo and give our assessment?
    Posted by 671Chay

671... I've seen enough of what Pees has to offer over the last few seasons.  My point is that with the talent we have on D, Dom Capers would have made this defense suffocating.....much better than what Pees can do or has done.  how many more season do we need to waste before we give our assessments?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mitchfla. Show mitchfla's posts

In Response to Re: BB's mistake on Defense:
    "Others jumped down my throat saying BB makes all the defensive decisions. " I've read that a lot, especially several times from Mike Reiss saying that the Defense belongs to Belichick.  Fair enough from a schematic and game planning point of view.  But not from a call-by-call basis once the game starts. Otherwise, how would you explain the major success we had during the Romeo Crennel era and now... and no, it's not just about better players back then.... we have good players now, just bad Defensive calls.  I'm hoping Dean or BB will make our D much more aggressive!
    Posted by LifeTimePat

Sections
Shortcuts