BDC Ads..something strange is going on here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

BDC Ads..something strange is going on here

Okay. Something very strange has been occurring with me here at BDC over the past 2 weeks. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now, not so sure. I thought I would reach out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing this weirdness.

let me explain...

when I visit BDC, I get customized ads based on my previous web history. If I visited LL Bean or Amazon or another website without buying something, or abandoned my shopping cart, I see adds here from the sites I visited. I get that because of cookies and everything else. 

However, what is really weird is I am now getting customized ads for a medical center here in houston with a very specific message for a very specific treatment. At no time have I typed in, searched or visited any web pages regarding this treatment. I have however, via my credit card, purchased medicine via an in store pharmacy, never online. I have never transacted with any company online about this and yet, I get very specific pop ups very unique to me and my situation.

this is beyond weird, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? It's like someone is sharing my credit card purchases with various entities and they are targeting me online.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: BDC Ads..something strange is going on here

It's common, if you clear your browser history or if what you've searched for recently isn't an advertisement they have available it defaults to who ever pays them the most to make it default for the given area which you are. I get stuff like that all the time when I clear my web history and it's annoying so usually I just do a couple google searches to get rid of the default ad stuff when I enter sites.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Gotta have something to do with Obama

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gotta have something to do with Obama

[/QUOTE]

Yup, the NSA doing research for Obamacares death squads by drones. I'd be very careful...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's common, if you clear your browser history or if what you've searched for recently isn't an advertisement they have available it defaults to who ever pays them the most to make it default for the given area which you are. I get stuff like that all the time when I clear my web history and it's annoying so usually I just do a couple google searches to get rid of the default ad stuff when I enter sites.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that. 

Read below...I am getting customized ads for specific medical treatment for a hospital where I live and I have NEVER done anything online in this regard. How do they know I have what I have and how do they match me with a hospital where I live? That is technically impossible unless my medical/credit card history is being shared without my permission.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Okay. Something very strange has been occurring with me here at BDC over the past 2 weeks. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now, not so sure. I thought I would reach out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing this weirdness.

let me explain...

when I visit BDC, I get customized ads based on my previous web history. If I visited LL Bean or Amazon or another website without buying something, or abandoned my shopping cart, I see adds here from the sites I visited. I get that because of cookies and everything else. 

However, what is really weird is I am now getting customized ads for a medical center here in houston with a very specific message for a very specific treatment. At no time have I typed in, searched or visited any web pages regarding this treatment. I have however, via my credit card, purchased medicine via an in store pharmacy, never online. I have never transacted with any company online about this and yet, I get very specific pop ups very unique to me and my situation.

this is beyond weird, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? It's like someone is sharing my credit card purchases with various entities and they are targeting me online.

[/QUOTE]

Big brother, always watching!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

wow,,...I just hate ads in general. They slow up everything. People usually know what they want to buy but yea that sounds creepy. I try not to do much with my debit card and I dont own any credit cards, never have.  These days you have to be very careful. The Target scams with all the c.c's that people got hold of and charged up overseas. The Conference Center that robbed a bunch of folks of their C.C. info last year. You just never know...shop carefully my friend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand that. 

Read below...I am getting customized ads for specific medical treatment for a hospital where I live and I have NEVER done anything online in this regard. How do they know I have what I have and how do they match me with a hospital where I live? That is technically impossible unless my medical/credit card history is being shared without my permission.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know it was for something you had done previously. Now that's weird. But then again everyone sells info about you to everyone else, so I guess it's not the surprising

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

That is very strange Patslifer.   If you didn't do searches or look at anything on the web concerning the medical treatment or the medication that you mention then it has to be coincidence.  Or it could be that those two things are searched for by others who have some of the similar browsing history that you do.  Like maybe you have searched things that have a connection to those two things, if that makes sense. 

If you use google then you might want to go in and change some things on your google dashboard.  There is a ad opt out setting I believe.  I did this long ago and has worked for me,  just search Opt out of google tracking.

Another thing you might want to use to prevent those annoying ads popping up on your screen is if you are using firefox then get the adblock plus.

EDIT:  Check these two articles out

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57368016-285/how-to-prevent-google-from-tracking-you/

http://dottech.org/17516/block-ads-in-firefox-internet-explorer-chrome-and-opera-how-to/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That is very strange Patslifer.   If you didn't do searches or look at anything on the web concerning the medical treatment or the medication that you mention then it has to be coincidence.  Or it could be that those two things are searched for by others who have some of the similar browsing history that you do.  Like maybe you have searched things that have a connection to those two things, if that makes sense. 

If you use google then you might want to go in and change some things on your google dashboard.  There is a ad opt out setting I believe.  I did this long ago and has worked for me,  just search Opt out of google tracking.

Another thing you might want to use to prevent those annoying ads popping up on your screen is if you are using firefox then get the adblock plus.

EDIT:  Check these two articles out

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57368016-285/how-to-prevent-google-from-tracking-you/

http://dottech.org/17516/block-ads-in-firefox-internet-explorer-chrome-and-opera-how-to/

[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion, thanks. I will chalk it up to coincidence at this point until they start addressing me by name.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Im fairly certain that you have the MyInfotopia plug-in installed by an outside source on your computer. It's malware.

Go here to get rid of it ..... it's self explanatory ...I would describe it for you but I Don't know what browser your using ... just do that

http://blog.teesupport.com/best-way-to-uninstall-myinfotopia-plug-in-and-stop-myinfotopia-ads/   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im fairly certain that you have the MyInfotopia plug-in installed by an outside source on your computer. It's malware.

Go here to get rid of it ..... it's self explanatory ...I would describe it for you but I Don't know what browser your using ... just do that

http://blog.teesupport.com/best-way-to-uninstall-myinfotopia-plug-in-and-stop-myinfotopia-ads/   

[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion palookaski.  But I think he would know if his computer was infected by this malware.  MyInfotopia usually changes your web browser default home page and when you open your browsers a bunch of pop up ads will show up on your screen.   Has this happened Patslifer?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

That's right TBF12, you can get rid of the main default page but the ads will still appear on some of your web pages.

Need to use the sequence for your browser to eliminate it altogether.

It is unwanted malware installed by a third party.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoratLikePats. Show BoratLikePats's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big brother, always watching!

[/QUOTE]

Is true.  Not to trust.

KGB was like this but not any big brother.   Was angry goat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

If you right click anywhere on the page and then click on View Page Source, then scroll down to around line 1130, you start to see the Google ad references. Not sure if they are linked to myinfotopia or some other service BDC or the NYT uses...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you right click anywhere on the page and then click on View Page Source, then scroll down to around line 1130, you start to see the Google ad references. Not sure if they are linked to myinfotopia or some other service BDC or the NYT uses...

[/QUOTE]

Not if you have adblock plus!  Smile

I don't see ads anywhere!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

wow,,...I just hate ads in general. They slow up everything. People usually know what they want to buy but yea that sounds creepy. I try not to do much with my debit card and I dont own any credit cards, never have.  These days you have to be very careful. The Target scams with all the c.c's that people got hold of and charged up overseas. The Conference Center that robbed a bunch of folks of their C.C. info last year. You just never know...shop carefully my friend.

[/QUOTE]

+++

USE CASH! Cash is king!

And that new bitcoin or whatever...you can load multiple CC info onto a single, digital card simply using the software...are people really this stupid? They are willingly spreading their information to more places, and less secure ones. With all the techno-crooks out there...I see no good that can come of that. I imagine some bad guy, somewhere, already knows how to clone those cards. And how does the store verify the signature on the back of the card? So if I get a bitcoin, can I just load all my stolen CC info to it? THat would be far easier than carrying multiple cards in different names.

Just keep making it easier for people to steal from you. Oh, and people PAY for this privilege! Pay money to have access to your money...interesting concept. People are so stupid. A PERSON can sometimes be smart...people? People are fking hopeless.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion palookaski.  But I think he would know if his computer was infected by this malware.  MyInfotopia usually changes your web browser default home page and when you open your browsers a bunch of pop up ads will show up on your screen.   Has this happened Patslifer?

[/QUOTE]

No malware installed. I have it cleaned frequently.

what is happening is they are tracking my in store purchases using my CC, then marketing to me online based on my offline spending behavior. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+++

USE CASH! Cash is king!

And that new bitcoin or whatever...you can load multiple CC info onto a single, digital card simply using the software...are people really this stupid? They are willingly spreading their information to more places, and less secure ones. With all the techno-crooks out there...I see no good that can come of that. I imagine some bad guy, somewhere, already knows how to clone those cards. And how does the store verify the signature on the back of the card? So if I get a bitcoin, can I just load all my stolen CC info to it? THat would be far easier than carrying multiple cards in different names.

Just keep making it easier for people to steal from you. Oh, and people PAY for this privilege! Pay money to have access to your money...interesting concept. People are so stupid. A PERSON can sometimes be smart...people? People are fking hopeless.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I don't like bitCoin. I think it can be hacked and is a scam. It hasn't been doing so well lately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Not sure if this is connected but this morning I saw Obama walking in your backyard. Someone with a Boston.com cap was taking notes while he was talking and Curt Schilling was there also speaking into a walkie talkie.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

In all seriousness the Boston.com ads I see on top of my browser have a creepy high level of personalization. That's how things are though. We already know the NSA is digging into our phone calls and be careful buying new TVs, some of them are coming with chips that monitor behavior inside your house...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

No malware installed. I have it cleaned frequently.

what is happening is they are tracking my in store purchases using my CC, then marketing to me online based on my offline spending behavior. 

[/QUOTE]

What browser are you using?