Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules!

Bears refuse to bend to new kickoff rule, told by league to stop mid-game

The Chicago Bears were one of six NFL teams that reportedly voted against the new rule moving kickoffs to the 35-yard line of the team doing the kicking. The rule, which moves the ball up from the 30-yard line and should cause more touchbacks and fewer exciting returns, was implemented by the league's Competition Committee at the owners meetings in March as a move to improve player safety. The thought was that those exciting returns also involve too many high-speed collisions, but the Bears weren't buying it.

In their Saturday preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills at Chicago's Soldier Field, the Bearswww.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82174860/article/citing-need-to-judge-players-bears-ignore-new-kickoff-rule?module=HP11_headline_stack" target="_blank"> refused to accept the new rule, and instead lined their first two kickoffs up at their 30, as had been in the past. Apparently, the officials on site didn't catch it, because no penalties were called and it took a call from Vice President of Officiating Carl Johnson(notes) to "put a stop to it," according to the Twitter account of Johnson's predecessor, current Fox Sports analyst Mike Pereira.

Bears head coach Lovie Smith, who's had return teams among the league's best for a number of years, seemed unaffected by the violations and any potential fallout. In other words, www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/7057734-606/demoted-knox-makes-big-impact.html" target="_blank">it wasn't a mistake.

"[Bears kicker] Robbie Gould(notes) … we can put it on the 35 and he can kick it out each time,'' Smith said. ''We're not really getting a good evaluation of what we can do coverage-wise on some of our players. That's what we were trying to do with it.''

Last year, www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats" target="_blank">according to Football Outsiders' metrics, the Bears ranked first in average starting drive position — their average drive began just after their own 33-yard line

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules!

If the continue to do this does the league fine them?IMO I think this new rule does take away from the game,What do you all think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

It's not a big deal. It's the preseason so they're showing their opposition to a stupid rule change. Come regular season they're not going to take a penalty to make a point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules!:
     If the continue to do this does the league fine them?IMO I think this new rule does take away from the game,What do you all think?
    Posted by lippa

I've said repeatedly that they shouldn't alter the rules of the game in the name of safety until every player in the league is REQUIRED to wear a mouthpiece and a safer helmet (most players are in fact using late 1990's-early-2000's helmets and the proof is here: http://www.eng.vt.edu/news/virginia-tech-announces-football-helmet-ratings-reducing-concussion-risk )

It waters down the game.  People fell in love with football precisely BECAUSE it was violent.  Instead, we're watching a shift towards flag football and professional passing skele.  Despite the fact that I dislike both teams, I LOVE watching Steelers-Ravens.  Absolutely brutal.  If both teams were playing in throwbacks, you'd never guess it's the politically correct year of 2011

Instead, we don't want them hitting too hard or in the wrong places because injuries might hurt kids' feelings or upset women, when safer equipment might let the game stay true to its ROOTS and little Johnny can take his trophy collection for being a wonderful bubble boy and cram 'em.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Kick offs are one of the most violent collisions in the game, and most of the collisions happen away from the actual play/ball carrier. It's essentially a high speed crash where both players are collapsing in on each other with maximum force. I completely understand the reasoning for the rule change, though I hate that it does water down the game I at least understand the reasoning behind it. Also given that the owners are being sued by former players about safety conditions when they were playing can you blame the owners for making an immediate impact change that at the minimum shows they are putting an effort into making the game safer for the players (even if it's a greedy reason so they won't be sued).

Either way the rules are the rules and if the Bears want to put up a big stink about it then penalize them for it. They've been warned so next violation take a 5th round pick away from them. Then every time there after that they violate the rule take a lower pick away until they stop (ie a 4th then a 3rd, so on and so on)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

" Come regular season they're not going to take a penalty to make a point. "

Probably a 5 yard penalty, which puts them at the 30 yard line for the kickoff.  They won't kick form the 30 because they;re not going ot take a 5 yard penlty to get them to kick off from the 30?

I'll say they won't do it, not because of the penalty, but becaus ethey;re handing 5 yards on every kickoff to the opponent, which is forgiveable in pre-season, not when money is on the line.                   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Kick offs are one of the most violent collisions in the game, and most of the collisions happen away from the actual play/ball carrier. It's essentially a high speed crash where both players are collapsing in on each other with maximum force. I completely understand the reasoning for the rule change, though I hate that it does water down the game I at least understand the reasoning behind it. Also given that the owners are being sued by former players about safety conditions when they were playing can you blame the owners for making an immediate impact change that at the minimum shows they are putting an effort into making the game safer for the players (even if it's a greedy reason so they won't be sued). Either way the rules are the rules and if the Bears want to put up a big stink about it then penalize them for it. They've been warned so next violation take a 5th round pick away from them. Then every time there after that they violate the rule take a lower pick away until they stop (ie a 4th then a 3rd, so on and so on)
    Posted by PatsEng

If violent collisions and being sued is such a big deal, they should make players use the safest equipment on the market

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

This rule is terrible. The touchback percentage increase has been crazy in the preseason. I mean field position isn't important in football or anything. Lets just eliminate the kick return advantages teams may have.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Stupidest rule I've ever heard of!! 5 yards is NOT going to make them run slower, and hit eachother lighter. All this does is take away from a very exciting part of the game. Whoever came up with this nonsense needs a dope slap!! This if football, it's violent....stop trying to pussify the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

" Come regular season they're not going to take a penalty to make a point. " Probably a 5 yard penalty, which puts them at the 30 yard line for the kickoff.  They won't kick form the 30 because they;re not going ot take a 5 yard penlty to get them to kick off from the 30? I'll say they won't do it, not because of the penalty, but becaus ethey;re handing 5 yards on every kickoff to the opponent, which is forgiveable in pre-season, not when money is on the line.                   
    Posted by pauldeba

I don't know what the penalty is but 5 yards and kick again can't be it otherwise everyone would just do it. Then again it's a dumb rule so why not associate a dumb penalty with it.

I'd say if they're going to do that why not just get rid of the kickoff altogether and just start at the 20 but there's important commercial time to sell in between the return and 1st down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

" Come regular season they're not going to take a penalty to make a point. " Probably a 5 yard penalty, which puts them at the 30 yard line for the kickoff.  They won't kick form the 30 because they;re not going ot take a 5 yard penlty to get them to kick off from the 30? I'll say they won't do it, not because of the penalty, but becaus ethey;re handing 5 yards on every kickoff to the opponent, which is forgiveable in pre-season, not when money is on the line.                   
    Posted by pauldeba

Not if it is called an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty.  Then it is 15 yards and they will have to kick off from their own 20.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I've always liked Lovie Smith, more so now...  yeah it's a good thing they moved the ball up 5 yards, now the would be tacklers will gently place the return man on the ground.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm not in favor of taking the ball out of play in order to avoid collisions, and I would certainly agree that if certain safety equipment is "optional," then you're locking the barn after the horses are gone.

Can't return kicks.
    Can't touch the quarterback.
    Must allow receivers to catch the ball.

What's next?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules! : Not if it is called an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty.  Then it is 15 yards and they will have to kick off from their own 20.
    Posted by sheldong

They probably have no penalty associated with trying to kick off from the wrong yard line because they figure the refs will catch it before the kick. But since they've been kicking off from the same place for decades someone during the course of the season is going to place the ball at the wrong place out of habit. Out of the entire officiating crew at least one guy should notice before the ref signals to kick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules! : I don't know what the penalty is but 5 yards and kick again can't be it otherwise everyone would just do it. Then again it's a dumb rule so why not associate a dumb penalty with it. I'd say if they're going to do that why not just get rid of the kickoff altogether and just start at the 20 but there's important commercial time to sell in between the return and 1st down.
    Posted by Evil2012

Actually what Lovie Smith was doing was dumb because all it did was hurt his team and is why he will surely not do it in the regular season.  His team was kicking off from the 30 yard line, meaning he was giving the opponent a chance at a kickoff return.  You better believe the opponent was kicking off from the 35 to keep the ball away from Hester.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules! : If violent collisions and being sued is such a big deal, they should make players use the safest equipment on the market
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I agree with that. I think they should use the safest equipment they can as well as look at plays that can be slightly altered to prevent necks from breaking too. The difference is that they can't just suddenly add new equipment (except for requiring mouth pieces which they should). It needs time to be tested thoroughly to make sure it doesn't make the problem worse. I think working with the military to develop new head gear and padding is a major step in the right direction, but they should also look outside the military like the MIT developed helmet. Moving up the kick off though has an immediate impact on safety. Fact is when they moved the kick off from the 35yrd line to the 30yrd line, sure it was more exciting and more returns but the side effect was more injures and severity of injures. Now moving it back might make the kickoff less exciting but it should also reduce injures

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

How can it be a penalty - there is no offsides

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I do believe that these guys did sign up to play a vilolent game that they get paid millions of dollars to play, right?? So if they are not going to go crazy out there and tackle, cause someone might get hurt, with a concussion, teeth might fall out, break a leg or get a toe turf, then maybe we should just play flag football. No one gets hurt, no one needs equipment. Just 2 flags. LET'S PLAY FOOTBALL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I've always liked Lovie Smith, more so now...  yeah it's a good thing they moved the ball up 5 yards, now the would be tacklers will gently place the return man on the ground.
    Posted by wozzy

I agree...  Any time, no matter how small or metaphorical, you're in esscence, telling Heir Goodell to shove his extreme reshaping, reforming, and remapping of NFL Football, Up where the sun don't shine...you've just increased your status, in mine, and in more & more NFL Fans' estimations, each & every time.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Apparently, the reason the Bears wanted to kick from the 30 was to evaluate their special teams. Their line of thinking was that you can't really judge your special team coverage unit if your kicker is just drilling those touchbacks. I see where they're coming from, but at the same time, you're kicking from the 35 and getting those touchbacks so why not practice that way. 

But from this you can see that 5 yards really makes a big difference. Big returns on special teams can be one of the more exciting plays in pro football. The NFL really shouldn't be messing with it. I hope they see what it does to the game and change it back next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

it isn't football any more.....it's moneyball

if you want football, play in your backyard

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Sad thing is, it probably wont ever get changed back.  The players that are doing the make shift Wedge and or slamming into the wedge dont exactly love their job. Its the Devin Hesters of the world, the coaches, and the Fans that want the kick offs.

Completely stupid rule...  Its amazing how people survived before all these safety rules.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Bears refuse to obey new kickoff rules! : I've said repeatedly that they shouldn't alter the rules of the game in the name of safety until every player in the league is REQUIRED to wear a mouthpiece and a safer helmet (most players are in fact using late 1990's-early-2000's helmets and the proof is here: http://www.eng.vt.edu/news/virginia-tech-announces-football-helmet-ratings-reducing-concussion-risk ) .......
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Agree 100%!  With all of the talk about player safety; from the leaugue and the players, it's baffling how players aren't required to wear the safest gear.

Sections
Shortcuts