Bedard depth chart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Bedard depth chart

If Bedard is the best writer we've got, than we're in trouble...

First make up your mind Bedard, we're a 3/4 or a 4/3, if we're a 4/3 like you've suggested than Wilfork isn't a nose tackle, he is just a defensive tackle.  If Deaderick is a nose tackle (he's not close to a nose), Love is a starter and DT is only the 5th "need" than you don't know what you're talking about and haven't been watching the past 5 years of Patriot football. 

Let's just admit that this team won't win a ring being an "offense first" team, Parcell's was correct when he told BB to get back to his defensive roots.  If we really want to improve this defense, switch this depth chart back to a 3/4 and use the 2/4/5 in nickel situations only... which makes DT priority 1-A along with SS and getting a corner.

Kafka won't be on this team when the season starts. 

Flex tightend isn't a position, you have tightends and fullbacks in our system, call the fullback an H-back if you like, but at the end of the day they are fullbacks.  Our best fullback after Hernandez is Huey, he should be a priority signing IMO, he was crucial in our improved run game this year and can be had at a very reasonable price. If we have Huey than we don't need Aaron to play FB, decreasing his chances of being hurt.  Hernandez plays all three positions well and is in a class by himself.

If X receiver is the guy who plays out on an island by himself than that has to be priority #1, Lloyd if he is kept can be moved inside to play the Z, but if we really believe receiver is priority #1 (which I don't necessarily agree with) than go big (talent) or go home. 

IMO Lloyd with another year in our system will be much more comfortable and improved.  We could come back with the same exact set of receivers that we had this year and would be fine, we'd still be the #1 offense in the league, would that win us a ring at the expense of defense, I'd say no.

Defense still wins championships.  It's an offense first regualr season and an old school defensive grind in the playoffs.  Get beef, get a DT in the draft or free agency and load up at SS and CB.  Everything else is an after thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Just read that the Pouha cut dont help the jets as much as thought. he still counts 2.5 mil in dead money

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We need a defense that can take the ball away, score and generally intimidate the opposing team, that's the only way we'll match the ravens and 49ers... we're short in the toughness dept. 

Our offense was on it's way to becoming tough last year when our tightend corps got the injury bug, but with Ballard back and hopefully Huey we'll be that much tougher on offense, defensively we haven't added any beef or toughness.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

We need a defense that can take the ball away, score and generally intimidate the opposing team, that's the only way we'll match the ravens and 49ers... we're short in the toughness dept. 

Our offense was on it's way to becoming tough last year when our tightend corps got the injury bug, but with Ballard back and hopefully Huey we'll be that much tougher on offense, defensively we haven't added any beef or toughness.

the Ravens are in salary cap hell. they are done. warnings were posted 3 years ago. didn't you get the memo?

seriously, I agree with you. the Pats were hurt in the running game with Gronks injury as much as the passing game. the Pats will always pass to set up the run, and they were starting to impose their will in the running game until injuries derailed them...

I dont agree with a "defense that can take the ball away"...turnovers are 80% an offensive mistake. the opposing offense gives the ball away, the defense doesnt take it away,  80% of the time

a defense that plays Nink, Jones, Lovie, Deadrick, Cunningham and undersized S's McCourty and Gregory will be pushed around and off the ball. This is a draft deep with interior DL...the Pats MUST draft interior DL first and foremost...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Spikes,  love and deaderick are alll huge.  Francis is also big for a de.  Pats have one of the biggest fronts in the afc.

We have one DT over 320, that's Wilfork and that's all.  Love and the rest play a lot smaller than their size would belie, Deaderick barely can maintain 300 pounds never mind exceed it.  I suggest you look at the combined weight of the Ravens defensive line, they have 4 guys over 330 pounds.  Moreover what they and other teams have that we don't is talent, strength and the depth to play a 3/4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I dont agree with a "defense that can take the ball away"...turnovers are 80% an offensive mistake. the opposing offense gives the ball away, the defense doesnt take it away,  80% of the time

a defense that plays Nink, Jones, Lovie, Deadrick, Cunningham and undersized S's McCourty and Gregory will be pushed around and off the ball. This is a draft deep with interior DL...the Pats MUST draft interior DL first and foremost...

I should have been more specific, we need a defense that can get more three and outs, that can make more stops on third downs and generally cause more havoc.  Agree that we're undersized.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Spikes,  love and deaderick are alll huge.  Francis is also big for a de.  Pats have one of the biggest fronts in the afc.

We have one DT over 320, that's Wilfork and that's all.  Love and the rest play a lot smaller than their size would belie, Deaderick barely can maintain 300 pounds never mind exceed it.  I suggest you look at the combined weight of the Ravens defensive line, they have 4 guys over 330 pounds.  Moreover what they and other teams have that we don't is talent, strength and the depth to play a 3/4.

There have been a few big games where VW started well only to disappear late in the second half.  My theory is that he's doing so much work early, he runs out of gas late. Especially against good teams with bigger OLs. I really think that is where an improvement can have the biggest impact.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

If Bedard is the best writer we've got, than we're in trouble...

First make up your mind Bedard, we're a 3/4 or a 4/3, if we're a 4/3 like you've suggested than Wilfork isn't a nose tackle, he is just a defensive tackle.  If Deaderick is a nose tackle (he's not close to a nose), Love is a starter and DT is only the 5th "need" than you don't know what you're talking about and haven't been watching the past 5 years of Patriot football. 

Let's just admit that this team won't win a ring being an "offense first" team, Parcell's was correct when he told BB to get back to his defensive roots.  If we really want to improve this defense, switch this depth chart back to a 3/4 and use the 2/4/5 in nickel situations only... which makes DT priority 1-A along with SS and getting a corner.

Kafka won't be on this team when the season starts. 

Flex tightend isn't a position, you have tightends and fullbacks in our system, call the fullback an H-back if you like, but at the end of the day they are fullbacks.  Our best fullback after Hernandez is Huey, he should be a priority signing IMO, he was crucial in our improved run game this year and can be had at a very reasonable price. If we have Huey than we don't need Aaron to play FB, decreasing his chances of being hurt.  Hernandez plays all three positions well and is in a class by himself.

If X receiver is the guy who plays out on an island by himself than that has to be priority #1, Lloyd if he is kept can be moved inside to play the Z, but if we really believe receiver is priority #1 (which I don't necessarily agree with) than go big (talent) or go home. 

IMO Lloyd with another year in our system will be much more comfortable and improved.  We could come back with the same exact set of receivers that we had this year and would be fine, we'd still be the #1 offense in the league, would that win us a ring at the expense of defense, I'd say no.

Defense still wins championships.  It's an offense first regualr season and an old school defensive grind in the playoffs.  Get beef, get a DT in the draft or free agency and load up at SS and CB.  Everything else is an after thought.

Wozzy, you finally nailed it!  Why you have sided with Rusty for years and went along with him and his run game wins championships is beyond me. Welcome to the light side aka the right side!  lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 9.10.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 9.10.38 AM.png

have the link tfb?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

exaclty on de. add a big outside wr and maybe a lil o line help and we should be good (provided we still hve demps for sepcial teams or pickup a player for that).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Wozzy, you finally nailed it!  Why you have sided with Rusty for years and went along with him and his run game wins championships is beyond me. Welcome to the light side aka the right side!  lol

Rusty went along with me, not the opposite, running game was part of the equation and we have that now.  Today we tendered Michael Huey a contract which is a big part of that running game, fullback, a big signing IMO if nobody counters.

We always had a decent enough defense to win, we didn't have a tough enough offense at the time.  Now we have a tougher offense and the rebuilding of the defense is nearly complete, maybe we'll have a combination of everything it takes to win it all.

Sections
Shortcuts