Bedard Now Anti-BB (Officially)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Bedard Now Anti-BB (Officially)

@ digger0862

Catching up to having a good defense as opposed to a bad one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Babe.. you're right, they caught up.. and possible in a big way, right? 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babe.. you're right, they caught up.. and possible in a big way, right? 

[/QUOTE]

Hope so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Babe,

Well we will have to wait and see.  I'd hope you agree that Bedard is way off with his criticisim as he is premature in scolding a team that just got back to the SB, and now reloaded their D with young talent.  Bedard went from objective to sounding like he had a personal thing aginst BB IMO. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Russ

Even if he had a point you could go through 31 other teams and do the same.  That's my problem with it.

Don't call out a team like NE, especially after they reached the SB.... Bedard is crazy for thinking otherwise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Babe,

Well we will have to wait and see.  I'd hope you agree that Bedard is way off with his criticisim as he is premature in scolding a team that just got back to the SB, and now reloaded their D with young talent.  Bedard went from objective to sounding like he had a personal thing aginst BB IMO. 

[/QUOTE]

I think his points about too many high draft picks missed on D over some years and Brady BB and the division being the remedy for those misses were quite realistic. But some of his nit picking on small time matters undermined an otherwise sound analysis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

It's a QB league... always has been.  Have a solid D and a solid QB and any given Sunday magic can happen.  So it's obvious to say having TB and BB mask the problems.  They pretty much missed everywhere for 2 years (06, 07).  But now you look at the last 3 years and you could argue it has been some of the best drafting ever to date. 

I used the word 'spin' earlier, and that's what I feel Bedard did. 

There is plenty to feel good about. 

I think we can all agree that the team that just went to the SB is now better.... agreed?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Not to mention Bedard did say it is clear BB makes all the decisions in the front office, or it becomes too late and the Pats get sloppy making personnel decisions like Hoyer... wrong.

Just to name a few:
    Reference -  B. Lloyd, Salas - Mcdaniels I'm sure voted heavily in these decisions.

Haynesworth(Floyd Reese had some input I'd assume, even though it was a gamble).

I'm sure BB has final say... as he should.  He earned that righ.  We all know he does what's best for the Patriots regardless though. (Seymore, Milloy, Samuels)  No one is safe if you don't jump on board, or your time is up.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I'd say look for McDaniels to push BB in drafting a WR in the second round of the 2013 draft as well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Seems like Reiss agrees with us as well.

A few quick-hit thoughts on today's roster moves -- the signing of fullback/running back Lex Hilliard and release of center/guard Matt Tennant:

1. Sure seems like the Patriots, with coordinator Josh McDaniels taking over for Bill O'Brien, are exploring every possible avenue to have a fullback-type presence on the roster after not having one for most of 2011. They signed free agents Spencer Larsen and Tony Fiammetta in the offseason, but neither stuck. They also added fullback James Develin to the practice squad on Sunday. Hilliard could fill that type of role while also factoring on special teams.

Looks like McDaniels' has his hand in the RB group as well. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I'd say look for McDaniels to push BB in drafting a WR in the second round of the 2013 draft as well...

Perhaps but as the Patriots have found out drafting WRs in the draft is a crap shoot. As we've mentioned in the past the Patriots offensive scheme is complicated and as the Patriots also found out even seasoned free agents that were good receivers on other teams don't always work out on this team. Stallworth, Gaffney, and Branch were all WRs that got it. So either the Patriots saw a decline in their skills or the scheme is about to change using multiple TEs causing matchup problems for defenses. I'm looking forward to watching this unfold on Sunday!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

I would draft 1 possibly mid rd every year and one late until you get what you want.  At this point, though, with Gronk and Hernandez locked up, Lloyd cheap, it gives BB incredible leverage for luring FAs in here or going for one in the draft every year until he hits.

The contracts are on the books, the pieces can be formed around those two TEs.

I also felt another recent column by Gasper, I think was off. It was the one about how BB has changed and is locking players down earlier. It hasn't changed. The market has changed.

BB will never wait to sign a slam dunk great young player who has proven himself. Ever.  I and others came on here last spring and said BB would sign Hernandez before he extended Welker. Why? Age.

Very simple.  It makes more sense to cut Hernandez off at the pass in the market than Welker.

These media people who cover this club either don't get it or are purposely dumb to try to smear BB.

I think some of them get it but I also think they love to create controversy. The Boston market for media is one of the best in the nation. The have 4 interesting Pro sport teams to cover. Most of the beat writers also have shows on the networks. They need as much material as possible to write about or talk about. BB doesn't give them what they want and I do think they get frustrated with him and the tight lipped approach the whole team is under. So then they start reaching for stories. The accusations of the Patriots filming of the Rams walk through during the 01 Super Bowl is a great example of that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I agree,, GO47. I think the release of the veteran WRs is quite possibly tied to a new offense that will be unleashed after it was hidden in preseason.

WRs may not be as vital, but TEs, maybe hybrid TE/FBs will be, etc. 

McDaniels may just feel he can get more from a more TE based offense with more running and Brady under Center.

Otherwise, why is Shiancoe so protected over Gaffney who worked out for Miami? Or a cheap Branch. It makes no sense. BB has Gronk, Hernandez, Fells.  He has a 4th TE in Shiancoe and is no working out Winslow. The Winslow thing might be nothing more than a tire kicking event, but if you're working out TEs, an incredibly deep spot on the roster, then wouldn't that tell us they're going have 3 TEs on the field a bit more?

I can see Lloyd and Hernandez wide, Gronk and Fells on the inside and Ridley as a lone setback.

Hernandez moves like a WR, but also has some size which might give CBs problems.  Fells can catch.  Most NFL defenses can't cover all of that with size and the athleticism.

You start a lot of shifting and moving these guys around in different spots on the fied and that could be more devastating than the 2007 offense.

To me the key last year was when they split Gronk out it gave TB a read as to what the defenses were doing allowing TB to go with the mismatch the defense gave them. I expect a lot more of this if they do go with the multiple TE sets.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Agree.  The thing is, if you can not just show someone setting up somewhere else, but use it?  That's the key. Show is one thing, but actually execute the play with the player in a completely unique spot, that's the key.  They showed all kinds of crap last year and they never played to it.  Ridley lined up as a WR in the SB for example but if you never target that, what is the point of it?

I expect a lot of motion, all receivers lined up in different spots. Maybe not right away, but as the season goes. 

Maybe some Vereen worked in at times as a receiver as well. 

Very true!  ...and they never ran screens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I'm so excited for the screen to be back....