Bedard Now Anti-BB (Officially)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: Bedard Now Anti-BB (Officially)

gasper's column is what happens when a beat writer switches to being a columnist.  he needs to generate controversy and the best way is to take on the most successful franchise of the decade.

The Pats are a victim of their own success; they have raised the bar so high that when you don't make the playoffs it icauses people to look for bridges

heard a Titans' player talk about the upcoming game as a playoff game; that is when you know you are down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

For all the complaining about the dead money for the most part most of the NFL teams are doing Okay with the cap space, some not so good. The Patriots are 12th being under. According to ESPN's Rich Cimini teams can carry over their unused cap space into next year. I did read reports on Monday that there are 3 teams over the cap by $700,000, Houston, Detriot, and the Giants. So all the complaining from Bedard about how the BB manages the money to me is unfounded. Does BB and his staff make mistakes? Of course they do but they make fewer than most. The Colts are even with the Patriots in the cap space race but who has the better team right now and the Patriots never experienced a season like the Colts did last year under BB.  

This from ProFootballTalk:

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2012, 12:03 AM EDT

[Editor's note:  The current team-by-team cap report as of September 3 appears below.  It remains based on the top 51 cap numbers for all players under contract.  The calculation converts to entire 53-man roster plus all players on injured reserve and other reserve lists at the launch of the regular season.]

Jaguars:  $28.7 million.

Chiefs:  $26.6 million.

Eagles:  $20.2 million.

Titans:  $17.0 million.

Bengals:  $15.2 million.

Buccaneers:  $14.9 million.

Browns:  $13.3 million.

Seahawks:  $13.2 million.

Packers:  $11.6 million.

Broncos:  $11.1 million.

Colts:  $10.1 million.

Patriots:  $10.0 million.

Cardinals:  $10.0 million.

Panthers:  $9.2 million.

Vikings:  $8.9 million.

Saints:  $8.2 million.

Jets:  $8.1 million.

Bills:  $7.9 million.

Redskins:  $7.5 million.

Bears:  $6.3 million.

Raiders:  $6.0 million.

Cowboys:  $5.3 million.

Ravens:  $5.3 million.

Steelers:  $4.5 million.

Chargers:  $4.1 million.

Dolphins:  $4.0 million.

Rams:  $4.0 million.

Giants:  $3.6 million.

49ers:  $3.5 million.

Falcons:  $3.4 million.

Lions:  $2.3 million.

Texans:  $2.3 million.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Excellent post G047.  The best part about the pukes like Felger is the come off with confidence in what they say, so anyone who isn't really understanding the facts, can easily be led down that path.

Like Mt Hurl. Or Babe Parilli. Or RKarp. Line em right up. We all know who they are here.  They took the bait.  They spent the last 3 years here bashing BB and wildly deflecting away from the struggles of a finesse offense in the postseason to protect Brady and stay in line with what the media does for security.

They have been had by a bald dwarf named Tony Mazz who only knows baseball, and a pretty boy Wisconsin transplant goober named Mike Felger.  These two were on the Jets bandwagon the last 2 years!

bawahahhh

They had Jon Kraft on their show in like October last year mocking Bob Kraft and BB's approach and Jom Kraft totally slapped them only to be cut off by Felger. Then the Jets collapsed, missed the playoffs, etc, and now just who did the Jets sign?  LaROn Landry and Yeremiah Bell, both old cast offs who can't cover.

They have little to no quality development in their pipelines, especially on offense and the Jets are screwed for years to come. And they know it.

Mt Hurl wants to talk about me having no credibliity, yet he is in agreement with Tony Mazz and Felger.  bawhahaha! I couldn't have been more correct defending BB's approach the last 2-3 years and being mocked by arrogant pink hat fans here.

Cannot be made up. Impossible. 

[/QUOTE]

Slow down Rusty...
    You are continuously missing the point that I have made many, many times on this forum.

If BB is going to get all the accolades, which I am the very first in line to say he deserves as both a coach, and GM, he also is not immune to some of us fans (or columnists such as Bedard) speculating on some of his misses.

Last time I checked, the success of the season around here depended on who won the SB, and it has been quite a few years since the Pats have. The regular season wins have been a lot of fun at the stadium (not so much when the Jets and Ravens bounced the Pats in the playoffs), but the teams weaknesses have been exposed in the playoffs/SB..

My comments on the team are not related to if the team wins 9 games or 13 games, but if they win the SB or not...My comments on the team regarding percieved holes, are merely me speculating on a public forum on what I think some misses were, and what I would have done differently. (example, this team will win between 9-13 games regardless if R Gallery was on the team or not, but this team will not win the SB with this OL)

I go back as a fan of the Pats to the AFL days. My professional career has put me around the team for over 25 years. So you do not continue to put words in my mouth;

BB is the best coach I have seen in my lifetime
    BB has managed the salary cap better than anyone else in the NFL
    While I do not agree with all moves the Pats have made over the years, this forum allows us the opportunity to voice our opinions. You are free to agree or disagree, but dont put words in my mouth that were not said 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

A reporters job is to be provocative and take a critical viewpoint ... Cheerleaders with a typewriter are boring... 

Your  unconditional bb love is curious ... The guy is not perfect.  Benching Welker for the start of that jets playoff game was the DUMBEST coaching move since wade Phillips benched flutie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Coolade

A reporters job is to be provocative and take a critical viewpoint ... Cheerleaders with a typewriter are boring...  

Your  unconditional bb love is curious ... The guy is not perfect.  Benching Welker for the start of that jets playoff game was the DUMBEST coaching move since wade Phillips benched flutie.

BB benching Welker had no barring on the outcome of that game.  Brady marched down the field and threw a pick on a over throw to Benny. 

However, no one is saying BB has made the right call everytime, but I would easily say he has been the best and most consistent of anyone regardless.  We all make mistakes as we are all human, but I like my odds with BB at the helm. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Felger and Mazz actually made some valid nuanced points about lack of depth at certain positions and issues/questions about the offensive line, but what does it matter when one poster with a bullhorn dominates this forum with a close-minded agenda. I for one am thrilled that it looks like we finally drafted some defensive players who are likely to start on this year's team. Our defense's inability to get off the field and make clinching plays was one major - but far from the only reason - why we lost the last two Super Bowls. Anyone who reduces the last two Super Bowl losses to just one reason - whether it's blame the offense, blame the defense, or blame the QB - is an idiot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This is the first year I've read much of Bedard so I'm waiting to see if there's anything there.  He spent much time this training camp criticizing McCourty and Cunningham who both made the roster.  Thus far his observations seemed as though they could have been written last winter about what he expected to see.  His observations on 1 on 1  matchups did not reflect the players who made the roster.

I'm waiting to see if there is anything to what he said when the season starts.  Reissis still the go to guy.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I see this matter as one needed to look for all the negatives even if its not there to have some sort of attention towards them. We can find thousands of positive articles, but you'll probably find millions of negative ones just to attract people's attention. That's how a debate starts, some go way beyond stupidity and say whatever comes to their mind first even though the facts says otherwise. In this case Bedard had to rely on the negatives, to get a reaction from people that he probably would of not gotten if he chose to write about what a masterful job BB is doing rebuilding on the fly without missing a beat. And by you creating this thread he has accomplished what he wanted, you cannot have a better example of going way beyond irrational comments than Skip Bayless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Leo,

I still watch first take just about every mornin'... I mean what else is on the tube while I drink my coffee?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bedard implying that BB doesn't surround himself with smart people and take their opinions seriously is a joke.  He's brought along Caserio, brought in Reese and brought along Patricia, Johnson, amongst other coaches.
    =========================

I tend to agree with Bedard on this comment Russ. Caserio may be a bright guy but you wouldn't know it because he walks and talks just like a BB puppet. Reese doesn't seem to get involved in football decisons in NE - he mainly advises on contracts and cap managment.

Regarding Patricia and Pepper J - yes they are both good coaches but they dont stand up to BB like Charlie or Romeo did when they were here. Even Mangini would shout back at BB when he disagreed with a decision. The Patriots have lacked strong personalities at the assistant coach level and I believe BB even admitted this after the PAT's lost to the Giants the first time around when he was asked if he thinks his coaches should be more vocal in questioning his deciosn when they disagree.

IS BB the best coach on the planet? I think he is but that doesn't mean he can't be questioned when we disagree with a decision. If we can't question him - why have a forum? Why have sportswriters? Why have opinion articles and editorials?

I am glad to see that McDaniels has influenced BB enough to have major input on personnel decisions. I believe that you have to empower your coordiators with this type of influence if they are capable coaches which McDaniels clearly is.

I personally like reading both Bedard and Borges. Yup - the may heve their own agenda and some of it may be occasionally unfair or bias but they are both smart, well connected writers and reading them adds perspective - even if you disagree with their opinons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Coolade

BB benching Welker had no barring on the outcome of that game.  Brady marched down the field and threw a pick on a over throw to Benny. 

However, no one is saying BB has made the right call everytime, but I would easily say he has been the best and most consistent of anyone regardless.  We all make mistakes as we are all human, but I like my odds with BB at the helm. 

[/QUOTE]

The Welker benching helped the jets....

There is no way he can say the usual "we're going to do what's best for our football team"... Or "we're going to put our players in the best position to be successful ..."

It goes against all the repeated cliches not to mention common sense...

That said, I'm glad he's the coach of this team mainly because he is willing to try unconventional things and he keeps the team focused on playing hard nosed football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

What Bedard does not see clearly is that DEPTH has been a huge goal every year for BB. Yes there have been some draft misses and some FA misses. But to "exlain" the records this team has every year and that they came soooo close in the last SB and in 2007 SB... is to miss why teams win in this league. Eli is not better or as good as Brady or Rodgers or Brees or his own brother (or his father in my opinion) or Rothlesberger. I would take Ryan and Rivers first as well. But in any case his 2 SB wins do not make him elite any more than BB not getting either SB means he has screwed up on the roster OVERALL.

The workd OVERALL is key. Yes he has missed on some picks and some FAs.. So has EVERY GM in this league.. EVERY LAST ONE. But BB has put together better teams each year including the last 5.

SO yes there have been mistakes. OK. Well, John Unitas was not perfect. Vince Lombardi was not perfect. BB is not perfect. So what.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Bedard probably can write like that because he is looking at things objectively (without an agenda). For instance if four years ago you jumped on the impending doom of a potential lockout and what it may do to a team's salary cap structure, you may as a person not be able to look at things objectively. I mean, yeah you may carry on for years like a fool because the lockout and "salary cap hell' hurt no one (even the 30 million over the cap steelers kept all their players), but you're really not going to look at things objectively...which is what Bedard gets paid to do.

Hey, could you run a quick spell check over this^ 

agree about objectively
    i just happen to read the article then come here to see what posters said.
    i only got this far so far,
    but what i want to say is most of what bedard said (most of the major points) i have said over the past 3 years (a few times on this board).
    why, because i saw it, observed it, and surmised it.
    has nothing to do with liking or not liking. 
    one can be objective or not objective regarding something personal (your team, your coach, your sister, your mother, your wife, your girlfriend, your best friend).

if your best friend is an alcoholic (cannot control drinking addiction) you can observe and admit that, you can ignore it, or you can attempt to discredit anyone else who observes it. a person who has worked through their stuff and is more secure with themself (as opposed to needing to protect the image of themselves) has a better shot at being able to see, acknowledge and admit what is when it concerns a matter close to home (close to them).  someone who has not, may have an overpowering sense of needing to defend because they are defending an extension of themselves (ie unconsciously it reflects on them as a person), and it may be nearly impossible for them to accept or handle.

long and short, observations and opinons can be open to consideration or attacked in a reactive  fashion (and compulsion).

i think bedard has some good (and neutral) observations in his article.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

for the record, i am a bb supporter.
    i think he is likely the best coach in teh nfl.
    and if he wins a 2 0r 3 more superbowls, may go down as being considered one of the best ever (which i would thoroughly enjoy).

ditto on brady