Bedard on Hern

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bedard on Hern

this weeks MMQB;

Most of that comment came from my lingering feelings of guilt about the entire Aaron Hernandez episode, when I was covering the Patriots for the Boston Globe. When I started covering the team in the middle of Hernandez’s rookie season, I was blown away by his talent and wondered why he lasted until the fourth round of the 2010 draft. It couldn’t have just been about the reported marijuana use while he was at Florida. So I called around the league and heard about the concerns some teams had about his associates from his hometown, and that there were possible gang ties. I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors. So I never wrote anything, and then the unthinkable happened.

To this day I think about ways I could have dug harder and published a story that, at least, might have woken Hernandez up (and woken us all up to Hernandez) before he allegedly broke bad. My hope, because Jackson is still young and very talented, is that he learns from his experience with the Eagles, grows from it and realizes his vast potential. But maybe I’m just being idealistic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Bedard on Hern

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

Most of that comment came from my lingering feelings of guilt about the entire Aaron Hernandez episode, when I was covering the Patriots for the Boston Globe. When I started covering the team in the middle of Hernandez’s rookie season, I was blown away by his talent and wondered why he lasted until the fourth round of the 2010 draft. It couldn’t have just been about the reported marijuana use while he was at Florida. So I called around the league and heard about the concerns some teams had about his associates from his hometown, and that there were possible gang ties. I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors. So I never wrote anything, and then the unthinkable happened.

To this day I think about ways I could have dug harder and published a story that, at least, might have woken Hernandez up (and woken us all up to Hernandez) before he allegedly broke bad. My hope, because Jackson is still young and very talented, is that he learns from his experience with the Eagles, grows from it and realizes his vast potential. But maybe I’m just being idealistic.

[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't think the guy should be so hard on himself, after all it's the NFL teams that know these players...their faults and what they have in their closets. In the case with Hern, the league knew about him and the patriots knew about him, but even still they couldn't of known he would do what he did. There are lots of bad dudes in the NFL, it's just most are not as dumb and evil as Hern.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

Wow ounds like this guy has an axe to grind with someone on the pats. Is he actually saying with his magic pencil he could have wrote an article that would have turned Hernandez around?   Let me use that magic pencil for my billing   Why would he bring this up now?  Sounds like a slow news day to me. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

Wow ounds like this guy has an axe to grind with someone on the pats. Is he actually saying with his magic pencil he could have wrote an article that would have turned Hernandez around?   Let me use that magic pencil for my billing   Why would he bring this up now?  Sounds like a slow news day to me. 

[/QUOTE]

the context was in response to some one asking about the DJackson gang related comments...

I simply found it interesting that there was really strong rumor on Hern and gangs, to the point where Bedard did some digging.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the context was in response to some one asking about the DJackson gang related comments...

I simply found it interesting that there was really strong rumor on Hern and gangs, to the point where Bedard did some digging.

[/QUOTE]

I thought that the NFL is going to work with the authoritaties on researching tattoos to see if their gang related now. To me tht tells me that they ( NFL teams ) may not have known these ties as well as everyone thinks they may have. 

I guess now their going to have to do extensive back ground checks and be invasive tailing these kids in college just to be sure. But when the race baiters like sharpton and Jackson (well not sharpton the mob informant) get wind of that. The ACLU as well there will be law suits and all kind of issues. 

Knowing what to dig on after you have the end of the story is a lot easier then what to dig on before you know the results. Hernandez didnt appear to be any problems, heck they gave the guy a big contract, then this happened. I personally feel this at this point of the game is axe grinding.  Just my opinion. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought that the NFL is going to work with the authoritaties on researching tattoos to see if their gang related now. To me tht tells me that they ( NFL teams ) may not have known these ties as well as everyone thinks they may have. 

I guess now their going to have to do extensive back ground checks and be invasive tailing these kids in college just to be sure. But when the race baiters like sharpton and Jackson (well not sharpton the mob informant) get wind of that. The ACLU as well there will be law suits and all kind of issues. 

Knowing what to dig on after you have the end of the story is a lot easier then what to dig on before you know the results. Hernandez didnt appear to be any problems, heck they gave the guy a big contract, then this happened. I personally feel this at this point of the game is axe grinding.  Just my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I find it informative that after the digging he did, he didn't find enough to write about. Sounds like the folks that think the Pats should have known were wrong. Unless, of course, you consider rumors to be fact.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I find it informative that after the digging he did, he didn't find enough to write about. Sounds like the folks that think the Pats should have known were wrong. Unless, of course, you consider rumors to be fact.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty fair observation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

These rumors became public once the guy started having state police rummaging through his property for all the world to see...I think they (the Pats) simply decided to dismiss them once he signed the big contract and just hoped that would pull him in the right direction...in fact, it might have been the precise catalyst he needed to start the REAL bad behavior with his "love" pad, his dope dealing and arms trafficing (all alleged, of course)...who really knows...just a sad and twisted story for everyone involved....

Hopefull, if Jackson is involved even tangentially with gangs members, he figures out what to do after AH....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, it's Bedard. He has a huge opinion of himself and is a fat load hack who never played sports. Think CHB, Mazz, Felger, Borges, but less inflammatory. He was very sneaky here. It didn't take long for BB to slap and for Bedard to go on the attack in a very slippery way here.  

I remember him saying Vollmer wasn't that good, then PFF had him ranked as a top 3 RT in the entire league at season's end.

LMAO

Anyway, this is more of the same. The arrogance of him thinking he could have channeled Scoop Brady and broken some story....It's just the height of arrogance.

Teams knew of Hernandez's immaturity and environment.   Many players come from backgrounds like that.

To pretend anyone could have foreseen or known Hernandez would be capable of channeling Tony Montana on a fresh 8 ball, is just preposterous.  

The culture in the NFL or NBA is nothing new. Not to make it a racial thing, but you sort of have to in order to discuss it.

Bedard needs to get over himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THAT is the only thing I got out of it.  It make the BB bashers look like looney birds, which they are.

"BB should have known!"

"BB must resign!"

"BB had a crystal ball!  Why didn't he use it?"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There's a couple of ways that you can read the Bedard piece and a couple of things that you can take away from it. 

I think the 'I could have turned the guy around' thing is silly, quite frankly.  If Hern is/was a hardcore gang banger no piece in the media is going to have any effect on him, IMO.

All the 'digging' that he did produced nothing concrete.  OK, got it. 

Background checks aren't perfect.  Holy jumped up sheep sh_it!!!!  Really?  Anyone who hires can tell you that.

Jackson's going to do what Jackson's going to do.  See my first point.

Context notwithstanding, I found the piece a bit self-serving.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

There's a couple of ways that you can read the Bedard piece and a couple of things that you can take away from it. 

I think the 'I could have turned the guy around' thing is silly, quite frankly.  If Hern is/was a hardcore gang banger no piece in the media is going to have any effect on him, IMO.

Background checks aren't perfect.  Holy jumped up sheep sh_it!!!!  Really?  Anyone who hires can tell you that.

Much more than that. The trouble with the media these days is that most of them have gone from simply reporting the news to somehow thinking they are the news.

Where's ol' Walter when you need him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I always thought by the end of Bedard's tenure covering the Patriots that his head had become too big!!! Liked him at the beginning but found him irritating when he'd look down on us fans like he knows everything when he's give an answer. I was really happy when Ben Volin took over for Bedard as he seems much more level headed. This article that was posted pretty much sums up how Bedard thinks he is THE story when he'd write an article.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, it's Bedard  Rusty Trombone. He has a huge opinion of himself and is a fat load hack who never played sports. Think CHB, Mazz, Felger, Borges, but less inflammatory. He was very sneaky here. It didn't take long for BB rkarp to slap and for Bedard Rusty Trombone to go on the attack in a very slippery way here.  

I remember him saying Vollmer Tommy Kelly wasn't that good injured, then PFF BB had him ranked as a top 3 RT in the entire league at season's end on the IR the next day.

LMAO

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty fair observation.

[/QUOTE]

My feelings as well. Not much there to report. The guy was a model citizen in his 1st 2 years, and was a great asset on the field. He was rewarded with a big contract, and then killed a guy. 

Bedard could have "woken" him??? Sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Bedard's article was just one long piece of hindsight. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Bedard reaction is typical of those who are close to traumatic situations and feel resultant guilt and helplessness for not preventing violence along with a feeling of omnipotence that his efforts alone could have been enough to save AH.

We all know that him writing an article exposing AH's gang connections (if they could have been proven) would not have been enough to change the course he set himself on. Only AH could do that by getting help and seeking the healing he needs. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is the part that I found interesting;

It couldn’t have just been about the reported marijuana use while he was at Florida. So I called around the league and heard about the concerns some teams had about his associates from his hometown, and that there were possible gang ties. I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors.

-prior to Hern being drafted, there were "strong rumors" regarding Hern and his potential gang ties

-these rumors, not the marijuana were what caused Hern to drop in the draft

-if "some teams" were concerned about these rumors, were the Pats even aware of these rumors? did they care? did they further investigate?

again, this was the year that Hern was drafted, not signed to his big contract...

-during his tenure with the Pats, we further learned of team mates approaching BB complaining about who Hern was hanging out with, that he had a 2nd residence in a nearby town with drug dealing taking place. This is taking place right under BB's nose. Yet the Pats decided to give Hern a major contract.

The more we see what is reported, the more is screams out loud how didnt the Pats know? IMO, the answer is just as loud, they did know, they decided to look the other way (the reference being they did not know Hern would murder, but that he was involved with gang members, drugs and other criminal activity)    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Another day, another rkarp smear campaign. Yeah we get it bud, you think Kraft and BB knew Hern was a murderer.

Sounds great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This is the part I almost found interesting but then remembered...I don't.

"I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Another day, another rkarp smear campaign. Yeah we get it bud, you think Kraft and BB knew Hern was a murderer.

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

TC, either you are a dope, or can't read. Which is it?

I clearly stated the comments were NOT meant in the context of murder (although there were many red flags while Hern was in college that he would murder)

Most likely you do not live here, as you have no regard for our community and safety. You also most likely are not a business owner, as you would not want a menace to sopciety on your payroll. YOu are also most likely 2 faced, and similar to the Pats ownership (Kraft), you say one thing about the Patriot Way, deep caring for the community, blah, blah, blah, but then put wins before all of that

Lastly, I did not write the article, Bedard did. I simply found it interesting. There are rumors of Jackson having gang affiliation, so the Eagles cut him. There were rumors of Hern having gang affiliation, so the Pats draft him, and then extend him for $45M...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

TC, either you are a dope, or can't read. Which is it?

I clearly stated the comments were NOT meant in the context of murder (although there were many red flags while Hern was in college that he would murder)

Most likely you do not live here, as you have no regard for our community and safety. You also most likely are not a business owner, as you would not want a menace to sopciety on your payroll. YOu are also most likely 2 faced, and similar to the Pats ownership (Kraft), you say one thing about the Patriot Way, deep caring for the community, blah, blah, blah, but then put wins before all of that

Lastly, I did not write the article, Bedard did. I simply found it interesting. There are rumors of Jackson having gang affiliation, so the Eagles cut him. There were rumors of Hern having gang affiliation, so the Pats draft him, and then extend him for $45M...

[/QUOTE]

And there it is, rkarp in a nut shell. Patriot hater through and through. Hey, I hope you can sleep at night with Desean Jackson only a few states away!?!?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There wasn't strong rumors, there were just possible gang ties. He didn't do any digging, that is why he wrote this article wishing he had.

Sections
Shortcuts