[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

this weeks MMQB;

Most of that comment came from my lingering feelings of guilt about the entire Aaron Hernandez episode, when I was covering the Patriots for the Boston Globe. When I started covering the team in the middle of Hernandez’s rookie season, I was blown away by his talent and wondered why he lasted until the fourth round of the 2010 draft. It couldn’t have just been about the reported marijuana use while he was at Florida. So I called around the league and heard about the concerns some teams had about his associates from his hometown, and that there were possible gang ties. I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors. So I never wrote anything, and then the unthinkable happened.

To this day I think about ways I could have dug harder and published a story that, at least, might have woken Hernandez up (and woken us all up to Hernandez) before he allegedly broke bad. My hope, because Jackson is still young and very talented, is that he learns from his experience with the Eagles, grows from it and realizes his vast potential. But maybe I’m just being idealistic.

[/QUOTE]

Wow ounds like this guy has an axe to grind with someone on the pats. Is he actually saying with his magic pencil he could have wrote an article that would have turned Hernandez around?   Let me use that magic pencil for my billing   Why would he bring this up now?  Sounds like a slow news day to me. 

[/QUOTE]

the context was in response to some one asking about the DJackson gang related comments...

I simply found it interesting that there was really strong rumor on Hern and gangs, to the point where Bedard did some digging.

[/QUOTE]

There wasn't strong rumors, there were just possible gang ties. He didn't do any digging, that is why he wrote this article wishing he had.

[/QUOTE]

another person that cannot read...

what bedard wrote;

So I called around the league and heard about the concerns some teams had about his associates from his hometown, and that there were possible gang ties. I tried to get something concrete on it, but I couldn’t get any traction with the story (Instagram photos would have been nice). There were no facts, just strong rumors. So I never wrote anything, and then the unthinkable happened.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Bedard on Hern

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Another day, another rkarp smear campaign. Yeah we get it bud, you think Kraft and BB knew Hern was a murderer.

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

TC, either you are a dope, or can't read. Which is it?

I clearly stated the comments were NOT meant in the context of murder (although there were many red flags while Hern was in college that he would murder)

Most likely you do not live here, as you have no regard for our community and safety. You also most likely are not a business owner, as you would not want a menace to sopciety on your payroll. YOu are also most likely 2 faced, and similar to the Pats ownership (Kraft), you say one thing about the Patriot Way, deep caring for the community, blah, blah, blah, but then put wins before all of that

Lastly, I did not write the article, Bedard did. I simply found it interesting. There are rumors of Jackson having gang affiliation, so the Eagles cut him. There were rumors of Hern having gang affiliation, so the Pats draft him, and then extend him for $45M...

[/QUOTE]

And there it is, rkarp in a nut shell. Patriot hater through and through. Hey, I hope you can sleep at night with Desean Jackson only a few states away!?!?

[/QUOTE]

1) why do you find this surprising? I wrote this same tone the day Hern was arrested, and have periodically posted much the same

2) Patriot hater? Hardly. Not a fan of 2 faced people, true. Kraft speaking about the teams place in our community, but doing the opposite...your right, I think he deserves the criticism.

you never answered...do you live here and do you own a business?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Another day, another rkarp smear campaign. Yeah we get it bud, you think Kraft and BB knew Hern was a murderer.

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

I clearly stated the comments were NOT meant in the context of murder (although there were many red flags while Hern was in college that he would murder)

Most likely you do not live here, as you have no regard for our community and safety. You also most likely are not a business owner, as you would not want a menace to sopciety on your payroll. YOu are also most likely 2 faced, and similar to the Pats ownership (Kraft), you say one thing about the Patriot Way, deep caring for the community, blah, blah, blah, but then put wins before all of that

Lastly, I did not write the article, Bedard did. I simply found it interesting. There are rumors of Jackson having gang affiliation, so the Eagles cut him. There were rumors of Hern having gang affiliation, so the Pats draft him, and then extend him for $45M...

[/QUOTE]

And there it is, rkarp in a nut shell. Patriot hater through and through. Hey, I hope you can sleep at night with Desean Jackson only a few states away!?!?

[/QUOTE]

1) why do you find this surprising? I wrote this same tone the day Hern was arrested, and have periodically posted much the same

2) Patriot hater? Hardly. Not a fan of 2 faced people, true. Kraft speaking about the teams place in our community, but doing the opposite...your right, I think he deserves the criticism.

[/QUOTE]

You hve been a Kraft hater and a Pats hater ever since you got to this board. You also see things differently than a lot of people. I read Bedards statements and to me it says there were no facts and the rumors were not strong enough to write about. Now you may have a different opinion but these days sports "journalists" don't need facts and any rumor is very reportable yet Bedard didn't think he had enough "hard rumor" to write about.

Tell me how is Kraft two faced? If you are talking the Hern situation then obviously, after reading what Bedard said, you are wrong. There was nothing there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's a couple of ways that you can read the Bedard piece and a couple of things that you can take away from it. 

I think the 'I could have turned the guy around' thing is silly, quite frankly.  If Hern is/was a hardcore gang banger no piece in the media is going to have any effect on him, IMO.

All the 'digging' that he did produced nothing concrete.  OK, got it. 

Background checks aren't perfect.  Holy jumped up sheep sh_it!!!!  Really?  Anyone who hires can tell you that.

Jackson's going to do what Jackson's going to do.  See my first point.

Context notwithstanding, I found the piece a bit self-serving.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on this.  Who is Bedard supposed to be then -- Mother Theresa?  There are many youth/social workers out there banging their heads on their desks because they think they're getting through to these kids, and then a kid turns around and ruins his life with one stupid act of violence or with drugs.  One of my best mates from childhood was a youth worker for a decade, and some of his clients came from the toughest areas of Glasgow.  He tells me constantly that for every kid that sees the light there are 25 who don't until it's too late.   

The most Bedard could've done is dug up a bit more dirt, and then maybe Hernandez would've been a 6th rounder rather than a 4th rounder.  The guy would've had his shot to play in the NFL because he is talented.  Teams will always take a chance on talent.  That playing in the NFL, having a newborn child and huge contract from the Pats couldn't save Hernandez from himself tells you all you need to know about the guy.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I have sooo moved on from Hernandez. Most likely, most other Patriots' fans have as well. It's time for the local media to do so, too.

In truth, no one is to blame for Hernandez, but Hernandez. If the admiration of tons of Pats fans, and the huge financial commitment made to AH by Mr. Kraft couldn't turn AH round, what makes Bedard think that an article written by him, would? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

So Bedard is saying he would have said more if he could have found something.  But he didn't.

he comes across a little like Nancy Grace on this.  "I love my job because I get to make a difference". (But doesn't)

Every team that passed on Hern in the draft passed on him at a higher price than the Pats paid.   As he fell in the draft he became more attractive.

Teams that say they wouldn't have taken a chance on him no matter how low he fell are......well how would we know if that's true.

I can't think of a team or coach who hasen't had some issues with players.  Any of them who want to act sanctimonious are being hypocritical IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Karp

Mostly you post good information on this board but your assessment of Kraft's actions makes no sense. Why would Kraft and BB offer AH a large contract if they knew about his continued gang involvement and drug taking? Why would any NFL team or anyone who is smart and reasonable do that? AH had simply fooled a lot of people and perhaps the Pats are only guilty of "hoping for the best"with him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have sooo moved on from Hernandez. Most likely, most other Patriots' fans have as well. It's time for the local media to do so, too.

In truth, no one is to blame for Hernandez, but Hernandez. If the admiration of tons of Pats fans, and the huge financial commitment made to AH by Mr. Kraft couldn't turn AH round, what makes Bedard think that an article written by him, would? 

[/QUOTE]

Celebrity court cases are always news.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karp

Mostly you post good information on this board but your assessment of Kraft's actions makes no sense. Why would Kraft and BB offer AH a large contract if they knew about his continued gang involvement and drug taking? Why would any NFL team or anyone who is smart and reasonable do that? AH had simply fooled a lot of people and perhaps the Pats are only guilty of "hoping for the best"with him. 

[/QUOTE]

I know it makes no sense, right?

Why would, according to Bedard, many teams having heard strong rumors about Hern and gang ties take him off the draft board, yet the Pats didnt hear these rumors?

Why would team mates complain to BB about Herns associates and drug use, yet BB awarded Hern an extension to his contract for $45M?

If Bedard heard rumors and did digging, but could come up with only "strong rumors", did the Pats investigative team do any digging? What did they come up with?

I said it the week Hern was arrested. Either the Pats investigative team 100% dropped the ball on this guy and his activities, or they presented the evidence of "strong rumors" to the Pats management and Pats management didnt listen.

Kraft can claim "we didnt know". Why didnt they know, and why did other teams know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I get it. You aren't a Patriot hater you just think Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick are 2 faced. Check.

Hey do you think your Jets did any digging on Vick before they signed him? I heard a "strong rumor" he used to electrocute dogs and stuff. 

I wonder what % of NFL or athletes from other sports (the majority of which came from inner cities) knew or know someone in a gang? I'm willing to bet a whole bunch of them.

We're just lucky they haven't killed us all by now.

I live in MA and own my own business. I'm not mad at Bob Kraft for signing football players to help the team I grew up rooting for to win games. I don't lose sleep at night knowing Desean Jackson might know someone in a gang, just like I won't about the rest of these athletes who make millions of dollars. I worry about the guy who's just trying to make some money to feed his daughter and that I might have to put a slug in his chest for breaking into my window to steal my tv..

It's a nice agenda you have but it's transparent and boring. If you think so little of Kraft and BB you should post on "gang green" that's your team anyway bub.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yawwwwwnnnnnnn

Sounds great.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I get it. You aren't a Patriot hater you just think Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick are 2 faced. Check.

Hey do you think your Jets did any digging on Vick before they signed him? I heard a "strong rumor" he used to electrocute dogs and stuff. 

I wonder what % of NFL or athletes from other sports (the majority of which came from inner cities) knew or know someone in a gang? I'm willing to bet a whole bunch of them.

We're just lucky they haven't killed us all by now.

I live in MA and own my own business. I'm not mad at Bob Kraft for signing football players to help the team I grew up rooting for to win games. I don't lose sleep at night knowing Desean Jackson might know someone in a gang, just like I won't about the rest of these athletes who make millions of dollars. I worry about the guy who's just trying to make some money to feed his daughter and that I might have to put a slug in his chest for breaking into my window to steal my tv..

It's a nice agenda you have but it's transparent and boring. If you think so little of Kraft and BB you should post on "gang green" that's your team anyway bub.

[/QUOTE]

well I live in Attleboro, not too far from where Hern did. There are so many young kids in the neighborhood that always were riding bikes past his house. Thankfully no one got hurt or worse as an innocent bystander.

I dont own a business anymore. But when I did, I certainly did not want employees with drug issues on board. Nor did I want employees fearful of any other employees or the people they were hanging out with...

Try taking the rose colored glasses off TC. Your becoming known as son of Rusty on this forum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Either the Pats investigative team 100% dropped the ball on this guy and his activities, or they presented the evidence of "strong rumors" to the Pats management and Pats management didnt listen.

Kraft can claim "we didnt know". Why didnt they know, and why did other teams know?

[/QUOTE]

Other teams passed on him because of who they thought he was.  They did their research and decided to stay the heck away from the guy.  Then the Pats drafted him.  Then he was arrested for murder.  Then the Pats say, "Oh, wow.  We didn't know."

Either way, they look like fools. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Russell and TC (son of Russ) can jump on me all day for being critical of the situation..but shouldnt we hold the Pats to similar standards that most of us hold onto ourselves?

AFter drafting Hern;

-he has been around and/or involved in multiple shootings, death resulting

-many of his friends/family have been killed

-he had a 2nd residence where known drug activity took place according to many residents in the development, and Hern was seen at the 2nd residence often

-his team mates complained to BB about his activities and who he was associated with

-he made a threat to injure team mate WW

Pats didnt know any of this? They certainly should have done due dilligence before giving him a contract ($45m, not his rookie contract)

My first concern with criminal activity is the community. TC can down play the danger, but he is a dope.

Of less concern, the team is at a financial disadvantage for 2 years with dead money issues

Of even less concern, IMO Kraft comes across as either out of touch or negligent.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Karp

Hern admitted himself that once he got the big contract "he changed". I take that to mean he became more entitled, easier enraged and vengeful. I think it is reasonable to conclude he was ok during his initial contract but lost it as soon as the 2nd contract was being negotiated in Summer 2012. It is at this point that all the major problems begin. (Let's fact it, the confrontation with Welker is not unusual event among competitive teamates looking to 1 up each other. This happens in all sports throughout all levels.)

Perhaps Kraft and BB really took him at his word when he donated 50K to the Myra Kraft foundation and thought they had impacted his life for the good?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Karp

Hern admitted himself that once he got the big contract "he changed". I take that to mean he became more entitled, easier enraged and vengeful. I think it is reasonable to conclude he was ok during his initial contract but lost it as soon as the 2nd contract was being negotiated in Summer 2012. It is at this point that all the major problems begin. (Let's fact it, the confrontation with Welker is not unusual event among competitive teamates looking to 1 up each other. This happens in all sports throughout all levels.)

Perhaps Kraft and BB really took him at his word when he donated 50K to the Myra Kraft foundation and thought they had impacted his life for the good?

[/QUOTE]

he is being investigated on a 2nd murder that took place prior to 2012

he had the 2nd residence prior to 2012

he was implicated, but not charged of shooting another person when a student at UF

changed since 2012? you can believe that if you wish.

look, believe what you want. we are over and done with Hern. but lets make our feelings known when the PAts entertain the notion of players like Britt or Jackson. I am not saying either of these players are guilty, or not deserving to play for the Pats. But I am saying we need to demand that the Pats do their due dilligence on any player. I for one feel they dropped the ball with Hern. I would like to hear how they wont drop the ball on the next guy. the Pats can talk all they want about their role in the community, or having higher standards. but I dont want them to ignore red flags because a guy runs a 4.3

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Karp

I agree the Pats dropped the ball and could have done better investigating AH. We all learn by experience. The NFL as a whole will hopefully change as a result of the situation.

By the way, the pair of murders happened during the contract negotiations circa July 2012 and as I understand it AH got the apartment around the time he bought his house in Nov 2012. As I said, the $$$ was a catalyst in activating his entitlement

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from minnypat. Show minnypat's posts

I want Whitey, AH and Jared Remy in a cell together. Now THAT would be a great reality show.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

If you look at the statements made by Kraft, and even BB as GM, not as coach, you see they place "business concerns" first, ALWAYS...they have NEVER waivered from this fact...so what appears to be a two faced comment is, in fact, a two faced comment...it's suppossed to be...he'll never not give himself an out to cover protecting the business...

Always remember that the Kraft family, and their #1 hands on managers on a daily basis, BB and Kraft's son Jonathan, have as their primary concern making sure that Billion and a half dolllar business stays healthy, NO MATTER WHAT.....it's NOT just the team, it's all that land, the real estate and the Mall...they own it all...it's their  biggest single holding...they are business people first and fans second, regardless of what other nice statements they make to the public...

If you forget this, and forget they are just as liable to talk out of the side of their mouths as any politician , you will be left disappointed...it's unfortunate, but it's true...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you look at the statements made by Kraft, and even BB as GM, not as coach, you see they place "business concerns" first, ALWAYS...they have NEVER waivered from this fact...so what appears to be a two faced comment is, in fact, a two faced comment...it's suppossed to be...he'll never not give himself an out to cover protecting the business...

Always remember that the Kraft family, and their #1 hands on managers on a daily basis, BB and Kraft's son Jonathan, have as their primary concern making sure that Billion and a half dolllar business stays healthy, NO MATTER WHAT.....it's NOT just the team, it's all that land, the real estate and the Mall...they own it all...it's their  biggest single holding...they are business people first and fans second, regardless of what other nice statements they make to the public...

If you forget this, and forget they are just as liable to talk out of the side of their mouths as any politician , you will be left disappointed...it's unfortunate, but it's true...

[/QUOTE]

thats fair Mel, and I understand the business angle. the team needs to win. but football is a white collar fan base laying out $1000 bucks a Sunday for 4 tickets and parking. Yes, wins are paramount to this fan base, but supporting a team either via the season ticket holders or more importantly the corporate sponsers, leave no room for the team making pr blunders. the league/business 100% understands and supports this (which is why Goodell was brought in to clean up the criminal elemant)