Bedards analysis of Kelly and Sanders

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Bedards analysis of Kelly and Sanders

Compared Kelly to a gwarren type signing. Said he doesn't play the run as well as love , but offers more of a pass rush than deaderick...not an every down player at this point in his career...situational pass rusher from the interior...its what the pats need, but don't break the news to russ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Has anyone even given thought to the idea that they are going to play Sanders in the slot and Amendola at the X receiver position? Just a thought. Edelman can play the slot as can Donald Jones. A lot of potential slot receivers...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Plus Hern and Vereen...lots of slots

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nice to know Bedard basically said all the things I've been saying about Kelley since the signing. Nice conformation.

As for Sanders I think we all knew this. He's a #2/3 WR who can play outside and provides nice versatility but does what BB likes the most (blocking), it's one reason I took a couple of players off WR draft board (like Davis) because the Pats highly value blocking ability with their WRs. I thought Sanders was smarter then what Bedard says though. I think the bigger thing is he's physical at the line and can beat press coverage. Aside from the minor ding ups Sanders has been healthy which should be a huge plus given the current core.

The one thing I'm wondering about is that BB is again filling the team with #2-4 type WRs. I'm hoping he can find a true Z flanker and I know that the TE are most likely going to be the main targets but throwing a bunch of cheaper #3 Wr's on the field and moving them around doesn't always work. With any luck they find a Z flanker in the draft who comes in and wins the job immediately. Then we'd have something special between the 3 TE's, Amendola (if he can stay healthy), and Sanders as more of a platoon x WR with Amendola

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

Bedard is 100% right that Kelly is over the hill but can still add things to the pass-rush that our existing DT's can't. Perhaps Armstead the unknown will be even better, but for now, in that sense, he is a great addition b/c he is cheap and in the 1-2 downs per 3 he plays he will improve what Love or Deaderick give there if the QB is dropping back.

Bedard seems to downplay the toughness and multi-talented skills Sanders would bring. Clearly his wonderlic from 3 years ago is less significant than his being used all over the field and trusted with major responsibility in Pitt. He is right however that the guy is on the short side and not a red zone threat. But we saw what Brady was able to do with Patten and Lloyd and Sanders is more athletic, faster, etc. then both of them. He could really shine here.

Rusty's paranoia when it comes to media 'hate' is pretty amusing and obviously tiresome... but he is spot on that we'd have 4 WR's able to play slot and then also contribute all over the field in Amendola, Sanders, Edelman and even Jones. If Wes was back he could really only play the slot, and his chemistry with Brady and precise route-running can only take the team so far as he and his QB aged and remained predictable.

With Sanders and Amedola on board the offense should be just as good or better than with Wes and Lloyd... the only issue is the health of the guys we have now, not the talent. Both are have rep's for not being able to stay on the field. But the Pats got 5 years younger with both guys as well. Can't discount that.

Disagree on Kelly.  Seymour mailed it in and Kelly was the better player. Many analysts agree.

I remember Bedard saying how great Seymour was in 2010, but he was lazy and only looking at past laurels.

Sorry, but it's not some "100%" fact like you just tried to spin off.  Seymour was paid 14 million per and Kelly outperformed him. Kelly was there before King Richard. I would venure to guess that Kelly will be rejuvenated under BB and a sniff for a ring.

Pretty simple.

Agree that coming to the pats should reinvigorate him as now he has a chance for a ring. As long as we use him correctly, we should reap the benefit. The challenge I think we still have after the Kelly acquisition, is that we don't have a dominant 3 down lineman like Vince. Love better against the run, deaderick decent in pass rush, same with Kelly, but I don't yet see a dominant force like Vince..

Sections
Shortcuts