Belated, but Preseason Game 1 +/-

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Belated, but Preseason Game 1 +/-

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/08/preseason-game-1-thoughts.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/08/preseason-game-1-thoughts.html

Watched the game about 3 times now, thoughts ^ and +/- players below

My Positive Players:

• Jimmy Garoppolo

• Josh Boyce

• Brain Tyms

• Malcom Butler

• Tavon Wilson

• Patrick Chung

My Negative Players:

• Ryan Mallet

• Nate Solder and the OLine

• The Front 7 - James Anderson, Steve Beauharnis, and Darius Fleming particularly

• Logan Ryan

I still back my thread that claims mallet is gone as well. I believe Garoppolo will show enough to make BB save a roster spot for extra DB, DT, or OL and cut Mallet. At this point, I have a blind faith in Jimmy G. if Brady went down he could do as well as Mallet. He made some beautiful throws Thursday night, throws that are impressive no matter what the situation is. I can still see Mallet gone for depth at another spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Belated, but Preseason Game 1 +/-

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Negative Players:

• Ryan Mallet
      • Nate Solder and the OLine
      • The Front 7 - James Anderson, Steve Beauharnis, and Darius Fleming particularly
      • Logan Ryan

I still back my thread that claims mallet is gone as well. I believe Garoppolo will show enough to make BB save a roster spot for extra DB, DT, or OL and cut Mallet. At this point, I have a blind faith in Jimmy G. if Brady went down he could do as well as Mallet. He made some beautiful throws Thursday night, throws that are impressive no matter what the situation is. I can still see Mallet gone for depth at another spot.

[/QUOTE]

So, then do you cut Mallett to keep a guy like Hartsock/Maneri, or Tyms, or other depth guy? A guy that will almost never even be active on game day, and that is basically available on the street at any time the need arises?  I don't think you do that. Put another way, if Mallett is cut, he's getting picked up right away.

Hartsock, Tyms, guys like that, maybe if someone gets hurt. But, they're JAGs that are of the quality available any time you need them. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I bet bb plays mallett with the 1s and it is possible he is dealt for a late rounder.

[/QUOTE]

I would agree with the first part. The #1's get 1 quarter, except Brady. He gets 1-2 series esp if it is postive results. Mallett gets the balance of the half 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I bet bb plays mallett with the 1s and it is possible he is dealt for a late rounder.

[/QUOTE]

I can see this happening as well.

I would take a 7th for Mallet now. I think teams like KC, ARI and STL should jump on it for just a 7th

Garappolo played more than Mallet at practice today too.. I know Mallet wasn't at the last few practices but still all camp Mallet has had significantly more reps than Jimmy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So, then do you cut Mallett to keep a guy like Hartsock/Maneri, or Tyms, or other depth guy? A guy that will almost never even be active on game day, and that is basically available on the street at any time the need arises?  I don't think you do that. Put another way, if Mallett is cut, he's getting picked up right away.

Hartsock, Tyms, guys like that, maybe if someone gets hurt. But, they're JAGs that are of the quality available any time you need them. 

[/QUOTE]

I think we're all making the assumption that Brady will play all year, in which case, neither Mallett or Jimmy G will see any play time - and one of who may be inactive on game day anyway.

IMO, it all depends on where BB wants his "insurance". Is Jimmy G good enough to make Mallett expendable? Would it be more helpful to the team to have depth elsewhere; even if the player is a JAG? I think it's the latter - and that the team can use an extra - someone who can help the pass rush, TE spot, or OL/DL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the plan all along has been to keep three quarterbacks.  They may deviate from the plan if Garoppolo convinces them he's ready to be the back up, but I don't believe getting anything for Mallet has ever been a big part of the plan.  If they felt Garoppolo were ready and decided to drop Mallet, would they try to get something for Mallet? Sure. But getting something for Mallet hasn't been and won't be their primary objective.

Sections
Shortcuts