Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham"

This is from ESPN.com:

Bill Belichick dared the New York Giants to throw to Mario Manningham and paid the price.

Before the Giants final game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLVI, the New England Patriots coach told his team not to get beat by receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks.

"This is still a Cruz and Nicks game," Belichick was heard saying in audio recorded for NFL Films. "I know we're right on them. It's tight but those are still the guys. Make them go to Manningham, make them go to (Bear) Pascoe. Let's make sure we get Cruz and Nicks."

The Giants started the drive at their own 12-yard line with 3:46 left in the game and trailing 17-15. On the first play, Giants quarterback Eli Manning dropped a perfect pass down the sidelines to Manningham who somehow made the catch and got two feet down for a 38-yard gain.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was also miked for NFL Films and after watching the replay of the grab, he said "He caught it."

The Patriots challenged whether Manningham was in bounds. They lost, the Giants were in business and went on to score the go-ahead touchdown. The Patriots actually allowed Ahmad Bradshaw to waltz into the end zone with about a minute left so they would get the ball back.

Before the score, Patriots Jerod Mayo and Vince Wilfork are overheard telling players in the huddle: "We gotta let them score, got to let them score."

The Patriots had been forced to give up the ball after receiver Wes Welker failed to make a tough catch that would have given the Pats a key first down as they tried to eat up the clock.

Referee John Parry, talking to another official, was caught on tape saying of the Welker play: "That was the game."

Among other interesting audio released by the league, Giants players were trying to figure out the health of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. He had suffered a high ankle sprain in the AFC title game and didn't appear to be at full speed in the Super Bowl.

In the third quarter, Giants linebacker Michael Boley says: "Hey, 87's a (expletive) decoy, he's a decoy. ... He's about to be outta here."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham"

It hurts to listen to all that. I caught it on Showtime last night.

It was the game plan all along though and worked up until the end.

Even matty P can be seen on the sidelines talking about 88 and 80.

The thing is, you cant double everyone and its almost like Eli was in our D.huddle.

he looked right, looked right and than threw up his patented prayer to the left sidelines and laid it in perfectly like he has been doing all year( i hate to say it, but true)

The perfect defense was called still and was just beat by a perfect play.  Dam that perfection keeps getting in the way!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Nicks did make a couple catches on the last drive, although on 1 he probably messed up by going out of bounds and for the game had 10 for over 100 yards, so I don't know that they really took Nicks away.

What they did do a great job of was not giving up RAC yards and keeping everything in front of them.  Even the big Manningham play, that is just a great play, nothing you can really do.

Pascoe, Ballard and Hynoski combined for something like 75 yards, which shows that Eli was doing a pretty good Brady impersonation, and taking the check down yards when nothing else was there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Obviously, the strategy was not correct since it did not work. The Giants took the "bait", threw four straight passes to Manningham, completed three of them and went from their own 12 yard-line to the Patriots 32 yard-line.

After that, they also failed to stop Nicks. The next two passes went to him. One for 14 yards that really put them into easily field goal range. The second one was for the first down that led to the Patriots conceding the TD. Nicks caught the ball and pushed McCourty 3 yards for the first down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So who failed? B.B.'s gameplan or the players exection?

I say McCourty is trade bait. Moore showed me More than him...lol

I show Molden the Door. I keep Arrington as the slot. and I pray Ras I stays healthy.

You pick up a decent veteran Cb to steady the group and a Real SS, you are business.

Landry is coming off an injury just like Rodney...same injury to the groin. he can heal up and come here and start new.

There is a reason this Giants team we couldnt beat in 3 tries lost twice to the Redskins...Oh, im sorry a few reasons. Orakpo, Kerrigan, Hall, Landry, etc.

We need RUSHERS!  and we Need a Safety that will scare people.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I wonder if Tom Coughlin said "make them go to Ocho, cause he ain't sh**!"  When teams give their star QB weapons to work with, their unstoppable.  It would be nice if the Patriots thought the same way.  But that's wishful thinking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The strategy was fine given the talent we have in the secondary.  We tried to shut down the two most dangerous receivers and took our chances on the third.  It almost worked, but Eli and Manningham came up big. 

We need a better secondary.  All season, they've been unable to stop good passing teams.  Belichick's strategy is dictated in large part by the strengths and weaknesses of the talent he has. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham":
    [QUOTE]It did work. Obviously, you can't shut the door against a good offense, but limiting damage all game means ti worked. Absolutely. GREAT gameplan, good execution. Nicks and Manningham had no TDs, Cruz had that 1 which unfortunately happened due to a dumb too many men penalty and the gameplan would have been framed at Patriots Place without a Brady INT or a Welker drop.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Even more infuriating than that was the fact that they had the perfect defense called to stop that Cruz score.  Mayo could have pulled a James Harrison and had a pick 6 because it was pretty clear Eli did not see him, but he blew right past Cruz.  No idea what happened there, but I yelled some unspeakable stuff at the TV.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Every game you try to focus on the opponents main weapons and take them out of the game.  In order it was Nicks, Cruz and Manningham.  BB was correct on making them go to Manningham.  The players just didn't execute.  Not sure what the fuss is all about his comment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]The strategy was fine given the talent we have in the secondary.  We tried to shut down the two most dangerous receivers and took our chances on the third.  It almost worked, but Eli and Manningham came up big.  We need a better secondary.  All season, they've been unable to stop good passing teams.  Belichick's strategy is dictated in large part by the strengths and weaknesses of the talent he has. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

The sad part is that I had hope that they would be able to run it this post-season because they lucked out and drew two really bad passing teams in a row, and then one good passing team in the Giants. 

But I mean .... when even the refs know that a defense can't hold the Giants from moving the ball, and say it, you have issues. 

HEre is hoping Ras-I doesn't turn out to be Wheatley II, the glass cornerback. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]SF's D in the NFC title game? 316 yards to Manning, 38 minutes in TOP. Yep. They were WORSE than our D and didn't have to deal with Alex Smith being a moron. And thye used Frank Gore correctly, as a lead back.  The only reason they lost was two bad fumbles by their KR guy. I'd say NE holding Manning tro 296 yards and the 37 minutes off of a Brady INT, ,a bad Welker drop and a gift Safety is pretty darn impressive by NE's D. It's not "sad" at all. Heck of a job executing a gameplan and defending na offense that the media was calling LETHAL all week long. Enough with this phony, disingenuous behavior as you try to protect Tom Brady's accountabilty as the lead champion of this offense and its strategy. It's sickening to watch. You guys are like Josef Goebbels spawns.  Sick.

Manning had to throw the ball almost 60 times against SF to get his 316 yards in an OT game.  He was sacked 6 times.  They averaged a little over 4 yards per drop back.  Other than the one big play to Vernon Davis SF's O did NOTHING.  Outside of that one play to Davis they barely gained more than 200 yards.  They went 3 and out on almost 50% of their drives.  The Giants ran 90 plays.  San Fran's defense was ridiculous.  The Pat's D didn't suck in the SB by any means, but comparing their performance to SF is absurd as is comparing NE's performance on O to SF's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham" : The sad part is that I had hope that they would be able to run it this post-season because they lucked out and drew two really bad passing teams in a row, and then one good passing team in the Giants.  But I mean .... when even the refs know that a defense can't hold the Giants from moving the ball, and say it, you have issues.  HEre is hoping Ras-I doesn't turn out to be Wheatley II, the glass cornerback. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I think with a healthy Gronk they might have been able to win Sunday. All season, they've won because the offense was strong enough to overcome the failings of the defense.  The problem, though, is that on offense they rely too heavily on the three main receivers. Take anyone of those three out and the offense is a lot easier to stop. That's what happened Sunday . . . the offense just didn't have quite enough to sustain enough drives.  And while the defense did reasonably well at limiting points given up (I had expected them to give up more), they could not prevent the Giants from completely dominating time of possession and scorinig when they needed to.

Oh well, maybe next year we have a stronger defense and one or two more weapons on offense.  There are a lot of holes to fill, though.  Will be interesting to see what Belichick can come up with in free agency and the draft.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham" : of course no one will remember this but you can find the thread I am sure. There was discussion about the three Giants WR's and the idea was Manningham was some sort of "weak link" or not in the class up the other 2. I said (paraphrasing) that if you underestimated Manningham and didnt think of the Jints WR's as a three man group it may cost you. Well?
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

You are correct. A fairweather troll is a fairweather troll. No denying it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously, the strategy was not correct since it did not work. The Giants took the "bait", threw four straight passes to Manningham, completed three of them and went from their own 12 yard-line to the Patriots 32 yard-line. After that, they also failed to stop Nicks. The next two passes went to him. One for 14 yards that really put them into easily field goal range. The second one was for the first down that led to the Patriots conceding the TD. Nicks caught the ball and pushed McCourty 3 yards for the first down.
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

So the correct strategy would have been??  If it is so obvious, then please provide us with the strategy that would have been correct and taken Cruz, Nicks and Mannigham out of the game. 

Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham" : So the correct strategy would have been??  If it is so obvious, then please provide us with the strategy that would have been correct and taken Cruz, Nicks and Mannigham out of the game.  Thanks.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

I guess they could have bribed that sniper . . . 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick:"Make them go to Manningham" : I guess they could have bribed that sniper . . . 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Yep, probably the correct one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]SF's D in the NFC title game? 316 yards to Manning, 38 minutes in TOP. Yep. They were WORSE than our D and didn't have to deal with Alex Smith being a moron. And thye used Frank Gore correctly, as a lead back.  The only reason they lost was two bad fumbles by their KR guy. I'd say NE holding Manning tro 296 yards and the 37 minutes off of a Brady INT, ,a bad Welker drop and a gift Safety is pretty darn impressive by NE's D. It's not "sad" at all. Heck of a job executing a gameplan and defending na offense that the media was calling LETHAL all week long. Enough with this phony, disingenuous behavior as you try to protect Tom Brady's accountabilty as the lead champion of this offense and its strategy. It's sickening to watch. You guys are like Josef Goebbels spawns.  Sick.

You are still missing the point of how the Giants attacked the SF defense. True Manning had more actually passing yards (316 vs 296), but the 49ers also had 6 sacks for -49 yards vs 3 for -14 so the the net passing yards by San Fran was actually 15 yards fewer on 15 more attempts. That is 7.1 yards per pass attempt vs the Pats and 4.6 vs the 49ers. Not to mention he completed 75% of his passes vs the Patriots and only 55% vs the 49ers. There is a reason why his passer rating was 21 points higher in the Super Bowl. He had a much better game versus the Patriots defense.

Your TOP is wrong the Giants only had the ball for 35:44 in regulation.

It took the Giants 14 possessions and 90 plays to earn 352 total yards. That is a paltry 3.9 yards per offensive snap and 25 yards per possession. In the Super Bowl they earned 396 yards on 8 possessions and 71 plays. That is 5.5 yards per play and almost 50 yards per possession.

In the NFC Championship the Giants offense scored two FGs and two TDs on those 14 possessions. In the Super Bowl it took them 8 possession to create the exact same output.

I keep telling you that the Giants used their offense to shorten the game (there were 18 possession vs the NFL average of 23 per game). They knew the lower the score the better chance they had to win and it was the Patriots defense that let them control the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good post FrnkBnhm, but when arguing with Rusty, it's wise to keep this in mind:

Egomania is an obsessive preoccupation with one's self and applies to someone who follows their own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation. Someone suffering from this extreme egocentric focus is an egomaniac. The condition is psychologically abnormal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I have already moved on to next year.  The Super Bowl HASN'T EVEN BEEN PLAYED YET.  

25. This post has been removed.