Belichick is failing this team...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Belichick is failing this team...

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : 2008 roster had the following "non-2011" pats: Warren, Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Harrison, Sanders, Hobbs, O'neal, Merriweather.  5 of those guys (and add Wilfork) were all a part of the great Pats defense of the 00's.  Only Wilfork remains, and the new guys got nothing on the old guys.  At the time, the young guys like Merriweather and Mayo could play well with the vets.  When they became the vets, they didn't (don't) have what it takes to be the leaders.  Finally, without Brady they wouldn't be as bad as the current colts.  At least you have an offensive line. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You don't belong here.  Stop commenting.  You have nothing to say, go to a site and talk about your own team.  YOU DON'T BELONG HERE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : What on earth are you talking about??  This offense is LOADED!  Loaded! It's arguably Brady's best O Line in his career, his best RB crop, at least since the DIllon days when they had Dillon, Faulk and Larry Centers, and their TEs are tremendous! BRanch is still incredibly effective. Brady has more to work with now than he did in 2004.   How is Givens better than Hernandez and how is Fauria better than Gronk? You're an excuse machine.  Not trying to get into an arugment here, but it's true. We score MORE when playaction and the plays associated with those plays can be used.  And then, of course, that includes the running game. Faulk ran 6 times, BJGE, what twice?  LMAO How on earth do you expect to win when the other GOOD/GREAT D is sitting back knowing you want to throw?  Why is BRady in a shotgun so much when Pitt is showing man coverage? The shotgun spread only works against bad or mediocre Ds or Ds that play zone. That's it.  Forcing balls when you can see a team clearly playing well is just absolutely assinine!  The only reason why Brady would shred Pitt in the past is because they'd play zone.  You could call plays that had people running routes into pockets, and then Brady is hitting it with ease. That's why it worked. But, talent wise?  What is the problem? Where is Ridley? This isn't 2009 when we had Sam Aiken as the #3 and Maroney as the lead back. Wake up!
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    Okay, the offense is loaded. You said Mankins is vastly overrated, your starting center is on IR, your right tackle is a rookie splitting time with a right tackle that has been injured all year. You start a running back that just came back from major knee surgery. Your left tackle has over 10 years in the league and your right guard was playing for another team last season. 
    Stop defending this lousy defense, no offense can score if they don't have the ball.  What game were you watching yesterday?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to hear how great he is (was) either. This defense is HORRIBLE. Period! No debate here. I don't want to hear how the players we have now on defense are anything but average. That includes Mayo, Spikes, Chung, Arrington (and whatever other collectivve group is playing DB this week) Brace (who???) Deaderick (who???), Idehigbo..total garbage and BB is to blame 100%. Add to that the fact that he gives Brady no deep threat other than Ochostinko, refuses to get him a real running attack and makes moronic decisions (cutting Bodden on a Friday) then replaces him with NOBODY! Poor coaching, poor prep with two weeks to prepare and then when you MAY have hafls a chance at winning the game, calls for a stupid onside kick with almost 2 and a half minutes on the clock with 3 time outs and the 2 min warning. Why?? Because BB didn't even trust the crappy defense that he himself has built! ENOUGH!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

You hate him, that is your thing, and anytime you can get that in, you do.  Just be honest, if the guy took golden dumps you would be mad they weren't platinum.  You are just a sour jerk with an ax to grind.  Getting tired of pretending you are an actual fan of the Patriots.  I think maybe one of the Sullivans is your boyfriend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]  You might not want to hear it, but if you put any other coach in that same position, the results would be the same.  
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for someone . . .  anyone . . .  to tell me who they would rather have than Belichick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

So Bill plays now? 

The coaching isn't the issue. Its the level of talent and lack of execution of the players on defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : I don't want to nitpick, but I think the offense, led by him, is put into negative situations unnecessarily in certain games. Yesterday was a myriad of reasons for the loss, but to pretend it's exclusively a defensive issue is embarrassing when you see this pattenr of the failed McDaniels Spread. Again, the second LebEau had them in man coverage, you change your entire approach. And that's BB, O'Brien, both or Brady.  We'll never know if Brady is controlling O'Brien's calls, if O'Brien is inimidated by Brady feeling forced to keep feeking him shotgun plays, etc. But, to ignore this elephant in the room, is ridiculous at this point. It's underachieving.  We have the best QB in the conference, the  best coach in the league and yesterday was an overall team failure.  Signaling ONLY the defense is a joke. I knew this would happen after the Buff loss and this one. It's the same people, too. They see Brady on the jersey and absolve him from any accountability.
    Okay, so your game plan would be run the ball. Even though, arguably, you have the greatest QB in the History of the Game, you would run the ball. Even though, they tried to run the ball and got nothing, you would run the ball. That's your game plan, really?
    My previous post alluded to the receiving corps that BB has assembled along with this porous, ineffective defense that I have cited since week 1, where it became obvious to anybody with even the slightest bit of football IQ would have realized that this was going to be a bad year defensively.  You can't win Super Bowls by letting your talent walk and trying to substitute has beens and cast offs.  Wake Up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I definitely would not say that this offensive is loaded with talent. Welker is a top 5 WR in this league. There are two good TEs (Gronk is on the cusp of being one of the best - in my mind he just needs to keep doing what he has been doing for a longer period). Tom Brady is of course Tom Brady. 
    After that no one on the offense is really a stand out. Branch is old and looks to be past his prime. For the most part he plays the same role as Welker at this point in his career. The rest of the receivers would have trouble getting the third WR spot on any team in the NFL. 
    The RB situation to me is a mess. If any of those guys were good enough they would be in there more consistently. Obviously, the team has doubt with all of them if they feel the need to rotate touches this much (four different leaders in carries and yards through seven games).
    The offensive line to me is inconsistent. Light and Waters have a lot of miles on their tires at this point. Yesterday with Pittsburgh playing tight man they really needed to hold their blocks for an extra second or two to let people get open and they could not do it. 
    The year in the NFL there is one great team (the Packers) and a lot of good ones. The Patriots are in the second group, the can beat up on weaker teams and fight it out against tougher ones. They have not been able to win their two toughest games this year. Looking at the past two years playoffs performances, it is looking more and more like we are in for the same thing this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : Apart from the lusted-for 'deep threat' that so many are all gooey over, this is an extraordinarily talented offensive team.  Best tight end tandem in the league, solid hard-working running back who doesn't fumble, very good O line, two excellent receivers in Branch and Welker, couple of really good 3rd down backs in Faulk and Woodhead.  So I ask you, where are the holes apart from that goo-inducing deep threat?
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]
    I don't have a problem with their offense. The defense is the problem. I kind of think anyone can coach Brady and win. BB hasn't changed his approach to picking players but it doesn't work anymore.

On the subject of offense I heard today on the radio that the coaches begged BB not to draft Maroney and Chad Jackson but he did it anyway.

You can buy in to what BB is doing and I would to if not for the defense being historically bad which it is. They're going to either be close to or will be the worst passing defense ever. That deserves criticism.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

If they dont wake up and start being more balanced, you will see the points continue to go down.  The colder it gets, the less effective the passing game will be, the ball gets colder and harder, the WR's are less prone to take big hits and their little mitts get cold and they start dropping passes. If the playoffs began in the summer, we would have won 2 more lombardi's, but they DONT.

You need 2 things to have success in the playoffs.

A RUN GAME

A DEFENSE

Right now it looks like we have neither.

Its nice that our "D" held Pittsburgh to some FG's, but they also could not get off the feild to save their lives and exposed our offense by giving them no time to operate. 

Playcalling can fix most of our offensive problems, but Jimmy Johnson, Dick Lebeau, Mike Nolan and Mike Ditka combined couldnt save this defensive personell right now.  Even p iss poor teams w/ no coaching can get off the field for ONE 3rd and long. We arent talking about 3rd and 7 or 8. We are talking about 3rd and 15!!!!  Same chit from 2009....Once we close one leaky gap, another hole emerges.  We kept Wallace out the endzone, but got killed over the middle by tight ends. Seems as if we have 9 players on defense.

MB???  where are you?

Can you please get me a draft list together for next year on the top rated CB's, Safeties, and Linebackers!  *sigh*

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]You can't change the fact he's going to the HOF, Undies, and he's still the best coach in this league. It's absolutey outrageous and embarrassing to see Pats fans expect 16-0 every year.

I totally agree that he is going to HOF. I am not sure he is currently the best coach in the NFL this year. Mike McCarthy and John Harbaugh are cleary having better years than them (the 49ers have actually played as tough as a schedule as the Patriots and have a better record with what most people would consider a lesser roster). 

Ultimately, it is not about going 16-0. It is about problems with this team (offensive imbalance and weak secondary play), that have been around for multiple years now and have not been fixed. 

King, you are always saying that BB should fire Bill O'Brien and get a realy OC, but doesn't the fact that he has not done that tell you that he is happy with the job that O'Brien is doing and that the offensive philosophy is not the problem in his opinion?

When BB had a team that won Super Bowls he had a defense that could shut down the best offenses in the NFL. Somewhere around 2007 BB became an offense first head coach and he has no new hardware to show for it since then. He needs to go back to his strength: great defense and a good enough offense to win. Enough with this high scoring offense and defense that can hopefully keep us in the game crap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The run game, I will admit is there if they want to use it, but most times they dont.

Normally, I would agree that you need to keep running or establish it, but when Bill saw that his defense couldnt get off the field, im sure they decided it was necessary to pass. Im not gonna fault that.

Our defense!!??  You think we have a SB defense??

This is where you have to stop lying to yourself Russ.

Our offense was inept yesterday but thats because of lack of posession.

3 and outs are magnified when you have the ball for less time.  Meaning if the defense give us the ball more, I can see your complaint about not running, but when you realize you may only have the ball a few more time in the game, you will get antzy and pass more, its imperative at that point.

Our defense is swiss cheese and regressing after a bye week and that is concerning and what you need to swallow Russ.  Offense/Defense/special team all failed yesterday, but its started with our horrid defense and Bill's bad decison to defer when our strenght is on offense.

Only B-More, NYJ, etc defer the ball, what was Bill thinking to defer and then get ate up for 70 yards!!??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Pats Nation, it's the receivers.  Teams are playing man to man and daring the Pats to beat them.  Was it me or did anyone see Brady miss an open Price with his man beat by 5 yards at least?  Go Pats

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

RESPONSE: Getting tired of seeing these "hindsight" posts, defending BB. As is the case with Bill Polian, and every other GM, BB is paid huge dollars to make the right decisions. Good intentions are meaningless. Every GM believes that the players they draft are going to be solid contributors. But, like BB, they're paid to get it right. If they're not getting it right, their teams will eventually go down the tubes (see the Indianapolis Colts, and the other bottom dwellers). Unfortunately, since 2006, BB, the GM, has not been getting it right. 

I like having fun at Belichick and the Pats expense as much as anyone, but the comment above proves the myopia of fandom, in general, and where the above poster is concerned, specifically. 

As the poster above correctly notes, every GM is paid big money to make the right decisions.  With a limited talent pool, however, and 32 organizations competing for that pool along with a salary cap that frequently limits one's ability to compete for that talent, no GM is ever going to get it right every time.  In fact, where the draft is concerned, Polian said (and I am paraphrasing from memory) great teams get it right maybe 60-65% of the time. 

The fact is that Belichick was fortunate to inherit the talent that he did, and followed that up with a few early draft and FA hits (Brady, Light, Seymour, Wilfork, Harrison, Samuel, for example).  But he can't be right every time.  Further,  good fortune was that Brady was a 6th rounder and primarily was a game manager for most of the superbowl years.  The pats could re-sign him for a less than if he were a superstar running the team.  Everyone called this a hometown discount, but I am willing to bet that the people in the know (agents and GM's) knew how Brady's numbers specifically (not team wins) stacked up against other QB's.  I am willing to bet that the Pats leveraged what they knew about Brady into the contract he accepted. 

But now, other than Brady and Wilfork, the good fortune ship has sailed.  The Pats have missed more than hit in some of their drafts and FA acquisitions, Brady's the highest paid QB in the league, Wilfork and Mankins have big salaries.  Welker is due.  Others are coming.  This is what happens with successful orgs (see the Indianapolis Colts).  Add to that, drafting low in every round due to continuous success.  Its a recipie for coming back to the pack.  

The question is, "what do you expect"? 

The league is not built for the rich to get richer but rather for parity.  The colts, pats, and steelers defied that for years, and frankly the pats and steelers are still successful, and were it not for Manning being down, I am sure the colts would be, too.    

You want dominance every year?  You'd be better off in fantasy land or major league baseball (although the sox proved that theory wrong, didn't they).  Be happy you have a successful franchise that at least will compete for a title, and pray that your team isn't one and done again in the playoffs.       

Finally, try not to listen to TP too much.  He just a critic (the easiest thing in the world to be).  Alot like the Borges guy that you guys all hate.  Frankly, Russ and his uncomfortable bb worship, is more refreshing than TP.    

Does TP think Belichick should be fired?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : I don't, but GB won the SB last year, and their D is statistically not better than ours right now...
    Truth hurts.

Umm, statistically speaking the Green Bay defense is giving up fewer yards and points then ours.  Oh yeah, the also have more take aways and more sacks. So I would say that statiscally there defense is better than ours. 

Also, their offense manages to score more points while being even less balanced than the Patriots (they average less than 100 rushing yards per game as a team).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfanVA. Show bosfanVA's posts

In Response to Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to hear how great he is (was) either. This defense is HORRIBLE. Period! No debate here. I don't want to hear how the players we have now on defense are anything but average. That includes Mayo, Spikes, Chung, Arrington (and whatever other collectivve group is playing DB this week) Brace (who???) Deaderick (who???), Idehigbo..total garbage and BB is to blame 100%. Add to that the fact that he gives Brady no deep threat other than Ochostinko, refuses to get him a real running attack and makes moronic decisions (cutting Bodden on a Friday) then replaces him with NOBODY! Poor coaching, poor prep with two weeks to prepare and then when you MAY have hafls a chance at winning the game, calls for a stupid onside kick with almost 2 and a half minutes on the clock with 3 time outs and the 2 min warning. Why?? Because BB didn't even trust the crappy defense that he himself has built! ENOUGH!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ - I agree he is very very good - possibly the best coach.  But you constantly praise without complaint.  Although I appreciate your fandom (and I do), sometimes you've got wake up to some of the realities. 

And yes it is outrageous for people like TP to act like the pats should never make a mistake, and that he should be punished for having a 5-2 team with a pretty tough schedule ytd.  

That said, the d isn't great.  Recent moves deserve explanation.  Finally, BB's demonstrated that he hasn't trusted the D with some of his game decisions (including the 4th and 2) since 2009.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

C'mon NE fans wise up....even though I'm a Pats fan I realize that when you constantly go to the playoffs you constantly will get a draft choice in the high 20s. These are good players but not the best ....the Lions and perrenial last place teams such as them are gonna get the best picks and the playoff teams will get the middle of the road type players. The key is developing your talent and having great scouting....that is why teams such as te Steelers and Pats are always in the mix. The Pats will be in the playoffs again this year....will they go far....no one knows for sure. But I do know this....they will be drafting in the hig 20s again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Pats Nation, it's the receivers.  Teams are playing man to man and daring the Pats to beat them.  Was it me or did anyone see Brady miss an open Price with his man beat by 5 yards at least?  Go Pats
    Posted by jsppro1[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. We don't have any deep threat at all. Everything we thrown is underneath, middle of field to Wes, the TE's, Branch occasionally. Our WR's are not big, physical nor speedsters. Easier to rough up, bump off of routes, and contain to the short game. Pitt could keep Polamalu and Clark in the box, have them cheat on Wes, Branch, Gronk because no one feared us going deep at all. You keep Troy and Clark honest with a legit deep threat or two like Wallace and Sanders, and that opens it up for Wes and company to do their thing.
    With that said, it appeared yesterday that the zebras weren't calling anything at all. I don't know how many times our WRs were manhandled...I stopped counting after 10.

Russ, you say our Offense is loaded...I tend to agree, but missing a key 3 key elements. 1. A legit deepthreat or two to open the field up....2. An offensive coordinator that can call a good game and adjust when necessary. 3. An OL that doesn't fold in big game against good DLs. If this OL is supposedly the best TB has had, they need to do a better job against strong D's..especially with 2 weeks to prepare. 
    Other than that, yes, we are fairly loaded.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]C'mon NE fans wise up....even though I'm a Pats fan I realize that when you constantly go to the playoffs you constantly will get a draft choice in the high 20s. These are good players but not the best ....the Lions and perrenial last place teams such as them are gonna get the best picks and the playoff teams will get the middle of the road type players. The key is developing your talent and having great scouting....that is why teams such as te Steelers and Pats are always in the mix. The Pats will be in the playoffs again this year....will they go far....no one knows for sure. But I do know this....they will be drafting in the hig 20s again.
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

Baloney!
    Plently of good to great players drafted in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. You don't need to draft in the top 10 every year to field a SB caliber team. With the abundance of draft picks we have had over the past 5-6 years, we spent a considerable number of high picks on defense with little to show. Some might even say, "squandered". With what we spent on the D over the past 5 years, we should have a top 10 defense period.

Conversely, with everything we have dumped into the offense, we should also have a top tier WR or 2 other than 2 TEs and Welker. I am tired of gambling on injured players (Tate, etc.) and expect them to turn into productive WRs. Time to draft one high, or pay one period that can open things up for our 2 TE's and Wes.

Sections
Shortcuts