Belichick is failing this team...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Re: Belichick is failing this team...

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team...:
    In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : As a troll you only complain after losses and don't put any accountability on Brady or the offense. Brady tosses 4 INTS against Buffalo and you blame the D. Same thing here. It's a joke. Brady won SBs with Givens and Branch as lead WRs.  He made Reche Caldwell look great. Where is that Brady now? Is Brady controlling O'Brien, watning to pass? Hmmm. He said he didn't like playing under Center.  Hmmm.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

How is that any different than Brady throwing only 35 times, 2 TDs no picks and a 100 rating and you blaming Brady for the D being awful?
    In fact, you claimed you'd love those numbers from Brady every week. 200 yards, 2 tds, thrwoing less than 40 times, no turnovers... perfection.  Right?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Oh please.  As if Henne and Campbell's weren't garbage time yards allowed as NE tried to play prevent to tick down the minutes? Has Rodgers tossed 4 INTs all within 4 straight series of another, 3 in a matter of like 5 minutes this season? Stats, schmats. Most overrated possible. Not even a discussion if Gostkowski hits his FG, the refs aren't cluless on Gronk's TD and NE kicks the ball off with 3 timeouts. It'd be a called a gutty win coming back from a weak first half off a Bye week. Enough. Note the trolls currently doing their work now. Haverhill Bob/Phat Rex returns, Babe Parilli ignores our putrid offense yesterday, etc.

Do stats only matter when you claim we have a top 10 run D?
    Has Rodgers tossed 4 INTs all within 4 straight series of another, 3 in a matter of like 5 minutes this season?
    No, in fact no QB has done that this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Phat Rex, Stop saying "us" to sell your Pats poseur role to attack the genius of BB. It won't work. Henne and Campbell threw underneath at the end of a game in a soft prevent zone designed to keep plays in front of you. Who cares?   Please leave the board. You disappeared after NE throttled your Jets and ran all over that feeble D 3 weeks ago, stayed off the board off a great win over Dallas with the D OUTSTANDING, and now you return for the bashing because a 1 TD differential road loss to the Steelers? When you use this same pathetic, unreasonbale set of standards for the NY Jets organization, maybe you won't look so obvious here. Phat Rex = Haverhill Bob Everyone step forward and report.

Yes, I am one of the 50 people you call Phat Rex.  I will take it as a compliment, I guess, because it is always connected to your sad little tirades about how great our D is and how bad Brady is.  So, thanks.  If you can't handle being shown up, find another forum where it's just you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : Charlie Weis. BB is not an offensive guy and my fear is Brady has taken over gameplanning and O'Brien hasn't put his foot down, so to speak, during games, to earn his title and paycheck. Lots of excuses for Tom Brady these days.

Brady doesn't draft, coach, cut or resign players.  He doesn't coach the defense. He doesn't hire assistant coaches or trade down on draft day.  He doesn't sign free agents.  BB does.  He's a hall of fame QB, if he wants to call his own plays, I think at this stage of his career, he's earned it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Oh please.  As if Henne and Campbell's weren't garbage time yards allowed as NE tried to play prevent to tick down the minutes? Has Rodgers tossed 4 INTs all within 4 straight series of another, 3 in a matter of like 5 minutes this season? Stats, schmats. Most overrated possible. Not even a discussion if Gostkowski hits his FG, the refs aren't cluless on Gronk's TD and NE kicks the ball off with 3 timeouts. It'd be a called a gutty win coming back from a weak first half off a Bye week. Enough. Note the trolls currently doing their work now. Haverhill Bob/Phat Rex returns, Babe Parilli ignores our putrid offense yesterday, etc.

The Steelers missed an FG as well so that is a total wash. The Gronk TD was a close call and the Patriots rushed to the line of scrimmage (if they had huddled CBS would have shown a replay and the Pats would have known to challenge it). Even is they score with 4:09 to go in the game, what makes you think that the defense would have suddenly gotten a three-and-out after not doing it all game (and don't pretend like the Steelers were really trying after that onside kick when they finally forced a punt).

I agree with you that the offense has problems as well, but the defenses problems are more obvious and more detrimental to the team winning in the playoffs at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : Charlie Weis. BB is not an offensive guy and my fear is Brady has taken over gameplanning and O'Brien hasn't put his foot down, so to speak, during games, to earn his title and paycheck. Lots of excuses for Tom Brady these days.

Brady hired and continues to employee O'Brien. If O'Brien is not doing a good job gameplanning or coaching the offense that Belichick is responsible to fix it. The fact that he got promoted to Offensive Coordinator for this season sure makes it seems like BB is happy with the job he is doing with the offensive gameplanning.

Belichick may not be an offense first coach, but he is the Head Coach and therefore responsible for both the offensive AND defensive failings on this team (not to mention personnel decisions as the GM).

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : The run game is the key to all 3 of your points: 1. Play action. Believe it or not, since we don't have a 2007 freakish and healthy Moss to command a double, we did just fine with Weis era Brady stretching fields, whteher it be Branch getting behind Ds or plopping Bethel Johnson out there as a decoy in single coverages.  Price can run. I see this fear as more of a myth than it is a reason why we can't move the chains. We couldn't move the chains or score in the red zone in 2009 with Moss on the team. Same deal last year prior to his being dealt. 2. Bill O'Brien's brain on gameday, understanding what th eother team is doign with his next moves in between the 45 second clock and in between drives, etc. He gets outcoached by superior, veteran gamecallers. 3. The O Line is much better when pushing forward, run blocking early in games, JUST like ANY team's O Line. It keeps the front 7 and scheming honest against us. Regardless of the finesse style offense this team runs and its failures as the base, if you don't run in the first half, we lose or barely eek out wins that shouldn't be so close.* *Assuming we don't turn it over. Look at the squandered opps yesterday.

Russ it is a great post. I have trouble understanding why people will not fault the offense. They didn't just cut 4 starters like the defense did, they have everybody returning and Brady as good as ever. We have been building the team around Brady and this offense should be scoring 30 points a game but its shooting itself in the foot by abandoning the run game.

2 great TE's equal power run play action passing attack. Aaron Hernandez should not be lined up as the wideout as much as was, he is not as fast as a wideout needs to be to create separation. The offense is counter productive.

Hern and Gronk should be close to the o-line, they can block for the power back that we never have in the game, or chip block and catch the dump off. The offense is mind boggling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEPfan4life. Show NEPfan4life's posts

BB is not failing this team.  He needs help with coaching this team.  He's very controlling and not allowing any other coaches to coach and admit that he needs help. It's all about the NFL crowning him one of the best coach and that alone will make his head swell enough that "it's all about me" attitude and "I can do everything" .   so much for the superbowl.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Rusty, The offense stunk no question about it.

But I have to respectfully disagree on your opinion of the defense. I honestly almost can't believe anyone would be sticking up for them right now.

When you say rally I think of the 7 60yard drives and long 3rd and outs they couldn't stop, ever.

I also think about how EVERY wide receiver who caught a ball was pretty much WIDE open. I think alot about the missed, arm tackling I saw.

Dude, while the offense we all know can turn around with a little better playcalling and execution there is no such hope for the D. I don't see any playmakers on D right now aside from Wilfork and Carter..

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Of course the Pats give up garbage time yards too, but their D is still worse statistically, schmatistically, or otherwise. 

Refs aren't clueless on Gronk's TD?  Refs miss calls, challenge it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I do agree with you that the offensive is part of this problem.

I do not agree with people who think we have multiple good running backs on this team. I think we have multiple average running backs. BB has shown that when he has a good back (Dillon, even Antowain Smith) he will give him the lion's share of the carries. BJGE is on pace for fewer carries than he had last year. Woodhead is also getting less touches (both receiving and rushing than last season).

Outside of Welker the receivers are mediocre at best. Branch is a good guy and a team player, but past his prime (and he never was a top receiver even in his prime). The other four receivers have a combined 13 receptions through 7 games (Ocho - 9, Edelman - 3, Slater - 1, Price - 0).

The TEs are top notch. The combo in the NFL. Hernandez is basically the number WR on this team and Gronk is a beast and developing into one of the best in the NFL (even if comes off as not the brightest guy).

The o-line has been hot and cold this year. Hard to really judge them.

That leaves Brady who has been himself. He is on pace for his 3rd best QB rating. Maybe it is telling that in the Super Bowl Championship seasons he had his 5th, 8th and 9th best seasons in that category.

I agree with you that there is a lack of balance on this team both offense vs defense and run vs pass on offense, but I think that points to BB and his attempt to win on offense throwing the ball starting in the 2007 season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : It was schematic more so than talent or execution, though.  They're WIDE OPEN, as you say, after 7 seconds of Ben scrambling or flat out great playcalls from Arians, with NE not playing more man to adjust.  Not all the time, but I see that more as a fear to not want play man and just dealing with the repurcussions. As stated, I agree I didn't like the blitzing on those 3rds, thought it was too obvious and Pitt's blocking was great. Sometimes you guess wrong and get beat. They adjusted and then gave up only two FGs in the second half. What was your opinion of the D against NY and Dallas? I hold BB and Patricia for not having the quicker adjustment in the 2nd qtr.  I am not saying it was even a good performance, but they did adjust to battle in the second half, leaving numerous chances for the offense to move the ball. I am not sure the offense can turn it around if this is some deep rooted problem that we saw rear its ugly head last January. I hate to say it, but it's almost like Brady is on national tv and he feels he needs to put on a show. Could it be?  I wonder sometimes. I don't expect to see the same fatal flaws from Brady 1-2 years later, after we knew it existed. He gets a pass in 2009, the adjustment last year after Moss, but why did this really on crop up in Janaury, where from Week 5 through (generally speaking), NE's offense was balanced, well gameplanned, etc, AND the D took off as a unit. That's what I am saying. Is it ego, arrogance, bordeom that if he hands it off 12 times in the first half to BJGE, he doesn't get his stats?  Just wondering. I'd rather he have 27 throws and throw 2 TDs and not have some many 3 outs, with more run designs than we see in these losses. I am serious. The guy is the best QB when he wants to be, but he's not having anywhere near the year he had last year.

Rusty - you are getting a little carried away with the Brady bashing this year - is your need to defend BB as GM and coach so strong that you are now going to throw a stone lock 1st ballot future hall of famer under the bus when the BB recruited and coached D couldn't get off the field in 13+ minutes in the 1st quarter yesterday?

Rusty - the Patriots D is a mess right now - any sane person who watched that game yesterday could see that - when your D allows multiple 3rd and 10+ conversions on multiple drives your defense is seriously flawed

As for the offense - Rusty - who calls the plays and determines the personnel on the field? It ain't Brady - if you want to say Bill O Brien sucks I'll agree with you

But - here's the thing - the Ryan brothers have given the league the blueprint on how to beat the Patriots - clog the short passing lanes - and heavily defend the middle - the Patriots have no legitimate deep play receiver ( again, not Brady's fault) to keep defenses honest  - the Patriots aren't fooling anyone any more on offense

The future hall of famer Brady was patient enough not to force the ball yesterday into consistently tight coverage - as a result the Pats hung around long enough to make the score not embarrasing - but anyone who saw that game knows the Pats D was positively humbled yesterday

Rusty - you are the biggest BB fan on this board - do you really think he will allow the Pats offense to be run just for the benefit of Brady's stats? Or, if you think that it is all Brady's fault - that he is checking into passing plays to the detriment of the team - do you think that BB would put up with that for long?

Rusty - your bashing of Brady is paradoxical - you need to take a step back and listen to what you are saying

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I have no problem at all saying the offense stunk yesterday...none. The receivers were covered all day, we have to send tightends deep because we have no one else that can stretch anything. The line was manhandled in the running game (although pass protection wasn't bad). Was Brady off? Honestly the people were covered and there was nowhere to throw, but it doesn't matter - if you're the best you have to play like it.

Now for the defense - this is a sad sack of mistake ridden -  nobody's- trotting around out there. There isn't one single guy on this defense that can play zone, their feet stop moving. Who the hell are you going to cover in the nfl if you're standing still? Idontplayfootball can't cover an ant with a blanket (the Jets have to be laughing there butts off). Christ one corner just leaned against one of their receivers in the corner off the endzone (when the guy was already covered) and let another receiver just stand there wide open for an easy touchdown. We can only hope the opposing QB gets confused when he see's three different guys wide open. This tells me that we would be even worse in man coverage from a physical stand point.

Belichick better have an unbelievable way with words when he address his team today, because when you onside kick with three minutes to go and three timeouts, you may as well of been telling every single defensive player that they stink and will be working at Burger King next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : Apart from the lusted-for 'deep threat' that so many are all gooey over, this is an extraordinarily talented offensive team.  Best tight end tandem in the league, solid hard-working running back who doesn't fumble, very good O line, two excellent receivers in Branch and Welker, couple of really good 3rd down backs in Faulk and Woodhead.  So I ask you, where are the holes apart from that goo-inducing deep threat?
    Posted by ATJ

I have been saying this for a while. This is not an extraordinarily talented team. Brady and Welker are elite at their positions. Gronk is getting there and Hernandez is above average as a receiving tight end. After that, Branch is a number two at best WR (he would be third on a lot of teams). The running backs all have their own skills sets, but the fact that none of the can handle the job fulltime tells you that none of them are great.

The offensive line is again average to slightly above. Light and Waters are passed their prime. I am not sure why people think it is so awesome. Brady has guys in his face a lot and the ground game has been extremely inconsistent. The Steelers o-line was supposed to be one of their weaknesses and they outplayed the Pats on Sunday.

They are still one of the best offenses in the NFL (third in scoring and fifth in yards), but this is not '07 team anymore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The defense was horrible in the first half, but gave up only 6 points in the second half.  And they set up the only NE Touchdown in the first half.

And part of the reason the Defense was so bad in the first half was the offense was only on the field for 8:30 minutes of the half. Until the last drive of the half, the Pats had racked up only 32 yards of offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02flhri. Show 02flhri's posts

Sorry, boys & girls, but fact of the matter is, in the last 5 seasons, the Patriots have morphed into the most over-rated team in the AFC.  As long as Brady can stay upright and continue his high level of play, they will continue to be a playoff contender, but NOT a serious SB contender.  Unless the Kraft's demand that BB delegate either the GM or head coaching responsibilities, what you see on the field is the eternal tease:  Good enough for 12 to 14 wins a year, and an early exit in the playoffs.  My guess is the Kraft's ride the Brady / Bilichick tandem into the Hall of Fame sunset, and then begin the business of rebuilding.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncursed. Show uncursed's posts

Typical irrational based thread here again. Do you expect them to win every game on the road?  Funny how when the D is great agaisnt the Jets or Dallas, no one says a word. They give up 23 on the road, only 6 measly points in the second half with our offense doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON THEIR OWN FOR THE ENTIRE GAME, and it's the defense's fault, exclusively? Or is it because Brady doesn't play on the D? 3 and outs, field position losses, etc. I'll be happy to blame BB for a dumb decision on the onside kick, as it still has me scratching my head this morning, especially after the D kept holding and holding, bailing out the anemic offense. He also didn't adjust quicker in the first half, playing way too much zone, likely in fear of Wallace getting behind them. Also, give Pitt some credit. They had a good gameplan. NE should have switched to man coverage, at least, sometimes, to give Ben more looks.  This is another BB complaint, but Patricia also needs to be repsonsible for that as he calls in the plays. More so BB in that case, since he's a def guy and should be seeing it. Pitt had scripted 3 straight game starting drives, so it wasn't uncommon for them to be sharp out of the gate in that situation.  Blame the D for that, no problem, but allowing FGs almost exclusviely on some short fields after that is also not as bad as being spun here. Some of you are absolute liars or flat out failing to admmit the offense is the source of this team's problems. Brady finally admitted it: "I don't think we complemented our defense very well," Brady said. "In the first quarter we had an opportunity to answer their score, and you know, we go three-and-out, so there was too many three-and-outs, there's just a poor level of execution all the way around. Individually, we all have to look in the mirror and figure out what we have to do better." You gotta run the ball to give the D some kind of chance. Not moving the ball at all is not going to work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Frankly, I see things getting worse before they get better. 

You have 18 mill per year wrapped up in Brady.  You've got Welker coming up for a contract.  You just paid Mankins.  In a couple of years Gronkowski and Hernandez are going to be looking for jack, and you've got to keep Brady somewhat happy because there's no running game to help. 

How are you going to find the money to pay the difference makers that you need on defense?  The last few years have proven that Belichick can miss on defensive players.  You just paid Wilfork and he's 30.  Who else is a difference maker on defense?  Mayo?  He's very solid, but has he changed any games?  Anyone else? 

Belichick constantly takes risks in hopes of keeping the defense off the field.  Do any of you wonder if he is looking at Brady like he did Bledsoe, and wishing he could jettison him for a solid game manager at a cheap price so that he had the money to build the defense he wants? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Forgot - Vollmer's going to be looking for $$ too. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Frankly, I see things getting worse before they get better.  You have 18 mill per year wrapped up in Brady.  You've got Welker coming up for a contract.  You just paid Mankins.  In a couple of years Gronkowski and Hernandez are going to be looking for jack, and you've got to keep Brady somewhat happy because there's no running game to help.  How are you going to find the money to pay the difference makers that you need on defense?  The last few years have proven that Belichick can miss on defensive players.  You just paid Wilfork and he's 30.  Who else is a difference maker on defense?  Mayo?  He's very solid, but has he changed any games?  Anyone else?  Belichick constantly takes risks in hopes of keeping the defense off the field.  Do any of you wonder if he is looking at Brady like he did Bledsoe, and wishing he could jettison him for a solid game manager at a cheap price so that he had the money to build the defense he wants? 
    Posted by UD6

First, TB is not Bledsoe. Not even close. The only comparison you can draw is perhaps in their respective contracts. Do you think the Colts hoped that Manning would leave so they can pour money into their defense or offense and have the great Painter manage the offense? no way. That has gotten you exactly ZERO wins. 

Mallet is perhaps the guy in waiting. The question is how long do you wait, when might he be ready? if Mallet can up his game and be a good, consistent NFL QB, perhaps the decision gets made and TB is jettisoned for 15 1st round picks or something crazy like that. 

In all honesty, BB had his chances to rebuild the D. He's fired and missed on more occasions than he's hit via the draft and FA. We could of had an entire defense made up for 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks, all young, and all playing together for some time. Instead, we have a bunch of mediocre talent, UDFA's, late round draft picks, and old guys on short term rentals. IF BB had done better via the draft and FA, this team would be almost a lock to win it all..and probably would have won it all last year or at least got to the big game. 

And, the Pats are not the Colts. We all saw what happened when Cassel came in for Brady...11-5. Probably more wins than the Colts will see in the next 2 years unless they win the Luck contest or Manning comes back.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I have no problem at all saying the offense stunk yesterday...none. The receivers were covered all day, we have to send tightends deep because we have no one else that can stretch anything. The line was manhandled in the running game (although pass protection wasn't bad). Was Brady off? Honestly the people were covered and there was nowhere to throw, but it doesn't matter - if you're the best you have to play like it. Now for the defense - this is a sad sack of mistake ridden -  nobody's- trotting around out there. There isn't one single guy on this defense that can play zone, their feet stop moving. Who the hell are you going to cover in the nfl if you're standing still? Idontplayfootball can't cover an ant with a blanket (the Jets have to be laughing there butts off). Christ one corner just leaned against one of their receivers in the corner off the endzone (when the guy was already covered) and let another receiver just stand there wide open for an easy touchdown. We can only hope the opposing QB gets confused when he see's three different guys wide open. This tells me that we would be even worse in man coverage from a physical stand point. Belichick better have an unbelievable way with words when he address his team today, because when you onside kick with three minutes to go and three timeouts, you may as well of been telling every single defensive player that they stink and will be working at Burger King next year.
    Posted by mthurl

You don't have to continue throwing into a secondary flooded with defenders. You have to audible to a heavy dose of the run.

This is where coaches are failing to adjust. Running the ball 5 times with your power running back when you were only down by a score most of the game is inexcusable.

We become one dimensional and play into the defense's hands. Commit to a run game and most of our problems go away.

Sections
Shortcuts