Belichick is failing this team...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Belichick is failing this team...

I don't want to hear how great he is (was) either. This defense is HORRIBLE. Period! No debate here. I don't want to hear how the players we have now on defense are anything but average. That includes Mayo, Spikes, Chung, Arrington (and whatever other collectivve group is playing DB this week) Brace (who???) Deaderick (who???), Idehigbo..total garbage and BB is to blame 100%. Add to that the fact that he gives Brady no deep threat other than Ochostinko, refuses to get him a real running attack and makes moronic decisions (cutting Bodden on a Friday) then replaces him with NOBODY!
    Poor coaching, poor prep with two weeks to prepare and then when you MAY have hafls a chance at winning the game, calls for a stupid onside kick with almost 2 and a half minutes on the clock with 3 time outs and the 2 min warning. Why?? Because BB didn't even trust the crappy defense that he himself has built! ENOUGH!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Belichick is failing this team...

Instead of complaining, how about applying for the job!  It is VERY easy to have 20/20 hindsight.  When all these players were drafted/signed, I do not recall seeing howls of complaints from this board.  Wouldn't you think BB believed these players COULD perform their jobs?  Coming into this season, many believed this defense to be BETTER than last years D.  So, what happened?  Is it BB's fault they are underperforming?  Suddenly the VERY SAME players we seemed to accept as a better D are no longer that better D?  What it all comes down to is execution and performance..  they simply aren't getting it done!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Patriots offense does not score a td untill 2 minutes left in the game if our defense didn't force an interception inside the Pitt 20. These are the facts. Our offense was as terrible or worse then our defense.

35 pass attempts to 6 K-Faulk rushing atts and 5 BJGE atts = one dimensional and playing into the opponents hands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

You might not want to hear it, but if you put any other coach in that same position, the results would be the same.
      This is a different NFL than it was 10 years ago.  Every team throws the ball now. ALOT. Against the Steelers, you have to stop the pass first. How do you do that? Blitz? didnt work. We blitzed the hell out of them and they picked us apart. 
    When we laid off and he had time to throw, he found every hole. Man to man coverage?  We dont have the personel. The Bodden release was a little baffling, but he would not have made a bit of difference. What was BB to do differently? If you have any ideas, I am sure he would like to hear them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to hear how great he is (was) either. This defense is HORRIBLE. Period! No debate here. I don't want to hear how the players we have now on defense are anything but average. That includes Mayo, Spikes, Chung, Arrington (and whatever other collectivve group is playing DB this week) Brace (who???) Deaderick (who???), Idehigbo..total garbage and BB is to blame 100%. Add to that the fact that he gives Brady no deep threat other than Ochostinko, refuses to get him a real running attack and makes moronic decisions (cutting Bodden on a Friday) then replaces him with NOBODY! Poor coaching, poor prep with two weeks to prepare and then when you MAY have hafls a chance at winning the game, calls for a stupid onside kick with almost 2 and a half minutes on the clock with 3 time outs and the 2 min warning. Why?? Because BB didn't even trust the crappy defense that he himself has built! ENOUGH!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]
    I agree with everything you're saying. I used to be a BB ballwasher but each year after 2005 its become more obvious that this team can not reload. Football is a young man's game and its just passed BB by. BB is not the offensive coordinator and that is the only part of the team that performs well week in and week out. And when the offense doesn't perform they look terrible. BB has brought us greatness a long time ago but that team is gone and the new one stinks. I'm sure if the rules hadn't changed BB could coach better but you can't hide players anymore and something has to change. Anyone could coach this offense but there's no one that can coach up this pathetic defense. I'm selling this dissapointing lot and I don't really care if the faithful/religious don't want to hear it.You're right on Stanley Morgan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : The decisions that BB has made over the years have come back to haunt him, especially on the defensive side of the ball. C'mon, how many of us for years at draft time, were literally begging BB to draft a young, aggressive pass rusher? But it didn't happen, maybe there were needs greater than that. However, you've got to question the roster moves, Ocho, Haynesworth, Slater for pete's sake. Pitt has done something that the Pats may want to consider, they resign they're proven players and keep the squad together, then add pieces through the draft, where do you thing all those young receivers came from? Look at the Pats, receiving corps - you got Branch (old), Ocho, Welker (contract), Price (??), Edelman (always hurt) - and you expect to compete with the Green Bays of the NFL? Not gonna happen, here's my question - What in the world are you going to do when Brady has had enough??
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]
    If you take away Brady this team is the 2011 Colts.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]The Pats got behind early and got whalloped in time of posession.  When they are one dimensional (by choice or by necessity) they are completely beatable.  The Pats' offense did not come to play yesterday.  The o-line gave up some pressures, sacks and hits and Brady was in a hurry to get rid of the ball, and he missed badly on some hurried throws.  Give the Steelers credit.  They picked apart the Pats on O and on D their coverage and pressure was pretty good.  I laugh when people expect the Pats to walk into Pittburgh and trounce them.  It's one game against a pretty good opponent.  They'll bounce back.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]
    I've got to give you credit that you're hanging with the team but the defense is so bad you have to admit they're just terrible. Gone are the turnovers from last year and in their place are first downs and points. I'm not saying BB will get fired after this year but it ain't working. The rest of the schedule looks good for the Pats but I don't trust this defense at all and if Brady doesn't play perfect A-Rod football they don't win games. This team is one Brady injury away from competing for Andrew Luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : If you take away Brady this team is the 2011 Colts.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm wondering if you can then explain the 2008 season in which the Pats went 11-5 without Tom Brady. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : I guess I'm wondering if you can then explain the 2008 season in which the Pats went 11-5 without Tom Brady. 
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]
    Really?! You're asking me about a team coming off a SB loaded with talent? Really?! Shoot I'll take last year's team over this one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

This initial thread is way over the top!  As usual, people overreact when we lose, and think we're the greatest team ever when we win.

I agree to a certain degree that BB has me scratching my head on some of his moves - most notably releasing Bodden, Sanders, etc, etc..  Our defense is clearly  struggling especially with communication.

I agree with some of the thoughts on here about the offense letting us down yesterday.  Reality is, I think it was a complete breakdown across all three units - including coaching. 

What has me most frustrated yesterday was the 3rd down defense.  Watching Ben pick us apart on 3 and 15, 3 and 11, etc, etc was a kick to the nads and what has me most frustrated about this team. 

With all the draftpicks we've accumulated over the years, I wish we had more talent of defense but it is what it is..  Our offense is gonna have to score 30 or more points for us to win these games..

Dear lord, don't let us lose to the Giants next week!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of complaining, how about applying for the job!  It is VERY easy to have 20/20 hindsight.  When all these players were drafted/signed, I do not recall seeing howls of complaints from this board.  Wouldn't you think BB believed these players COULD perform their jobs?

RESPONSE: Getting tired of seeing these "hindsight" posts, defending BB. As is the case with Bill Polian, and every other GM, BB is paid huge dollars to make the right decisions. Good intentions are meaningless. Every GM believes that the players they draft are going to be solid contributors. But, like BB, they're paid to get it right. If they're not getting it right, their teams will eventually go down the tubes (see the Indianapolis Colts, and the other bottom dwellers). Unfortunately, since 2006, BB, the GM, has not been getting it right. 

Coming into this season, many believed this defense to be BETTER than last years D.  So, what happened?  Is it BB's fault they are underperforming?

RESPONSE: Yes it is. BB the GM picked the players. He's paid to get it right. If his players are underachieving, he's also culpable as BB the head coach. The coach is paid to get the maximum effort from his players. When he's not, he's Jim Caldwell. I doubt that lack of effort is the problem...a lack of talent is the more likely culprit.

Suddenly the VERY SAME players we seemed to accept as a better D are no longer that better D?

RESPONSE: It makes no difference what we think, or what our expectations are. BB the GM is paid, and charged with the responsibility of selecting and/or obtaining the right players. BB the coach is charged with getting the most out of his players. We are not.

What it all comes down to is execution and performance..  they simply aren't getting it done!!

RESPONSE: Then, it's either lack of talent, lack of effort, or both. As explained above, as coach and GM, BB is responsible for both.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

[QUOTE]  You might not want to hear it, but if you put any other coach in that same position, the results would be the same.   This is a different NFL than it was 10 years ago.  Every team throws the ball now. ALOT. Against the Steelers, you have to stop the pass first. How do you do that? Blitz? didnt work. We blitzed the hell out of them and they picked us apart.  When we laid off and he had time to throw, he found every hole. Man to man coverage?  We dont have the personel. The Bodden release was a little baffling, but he would not have made a bit of difference. What was BB to do differently? If you have any ideas, I am sure he would like to hear them.     
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

The decisions that BB has made over the years have come back to haunt him, especially on the defensive side of the ball. C'mon, how many of us for years at draft time, were literally begging BB to draft a young, aggressive pass rusher? But it didn't happen, maybe there were needs greater than that. However, you've got to question the roster moves, Ocho, Haynesworth, Slater for pete's sake. Pitt has done something that the Pats may want to consider, they resign they're proven players and keep the squad together, then add pieces through the draft, where do you thing all those young receivers came from? Look at the Pats, receiving corps - you got Branch (old), Ocho, Welker (contract), Price (??), Edelman (always hurt) - and you expect to compete with the Green Bays of the NFL? Not gonna happen, here's my question - What in the world are you going to do when Brady has had enough??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Pats got behind early and got whalloped in time of posession.  When they are one dimensional (by choice or by necessity) they are completely beatable.  The Pats' offense did not come to play yesterday.  The o-line gave up some pressures, sacks and hits and Brady was in a hurry to get rid of the ball, and he missed badly on some hurried throws. 

Give the Steelers credit.  They picked apart the Pats on O and on D their coverage and pressure was pretty good.  I laugh when people expect the Pats to walk into Pittburgh and trounce them. 

It's one game against a pretty good opponent.  They'll bounce back.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

In Response to Belichick is failing this team...:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to hear how great he is (was) either. This defense is HORRIBLE. Period! No debate here. I don't want to hear how the players we have now on defense are anything but average. That includes Mayo, Spikes, Chung, Arrington (and whatever other collectivve group is playing DB this week) Brace (who???) Deaderick (who???), Idehigbo..total garbage and BB is to blame 100%. Add to that the fact that he gives Brady no deep threat other than Ochostinko, refuses to get him a real running attack and makes moronic decisions (cutting Bodden on a Friday) then replaces him with NOBODY! Poor coaching, poor prep with two weeks to prepare and then when you MAY have hafls a chance at winning the game, calls for a stupid onside kick with almost 2 and a half minutes on the clock with 3 time outs and the 2 min warning. Why?? Because BB didn't even trust the crappy defense that he himself has built! ENOUGH!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

I can't believe im responding to this thread!  Stuff like this drives me nuts.  Wha Wha Wha Wha Wha!  We lost to a really good team get over it.  Thats it!  Yes, our defense is not that good right now but i have a hard time believing that BB decided 6 years ago to draft poorly and bring in losers.  Drafts are not an exact science.  For every one player that turns out to be a stub in the first round you can name five first round picks that flop.  Vernon Gholston ring a bell?!

As for Ocho and Hansworth, everyone at least thought there was going to be some upside to bringing these two in.  People complaned about Hansworth but only about him as a person not the player.  As for Ocho i dont remember anyone saying that Ocho is washed up and he would not be able to help at all.

BB has put together a top level team for the last 10 years.  Name another coach/team that has done that?  Colts?  Manning is out and it looks like the entire team is made of high school players.  Jets?  Last two years were good but they are struggling this year.  Baltimore?  They lost to the jags and almost lost to the Cardinals.  Plus, whens the last time they've been to the superbowl?  Chargers?  They are a disaster every year and they should be the best.  Saints?  They just lost to the Rams.  I can go on and on.

I understand everyone wants/expects a Superbowl win every year.  The team is 5-2.  Will they make it to the Superbowl, who knows.  Thats what makes it so interesting.  No one thought they could do it in 2001. 

If this year becomes too much for you to watch or handle turn it off!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

RWTK ....You have many good points ....

The Pats Offense?
    The Steelers passed 75% of the time and controlled the clock for most of the game. The Steelers O line manhandled the Pats D line most of the time on each pass by not meeting the Pats D at the point of contact because the Pats would blow them off by sheer strength of contact, so the Steelers O line dominated instead by squaring up and backpeddling into the backfield but maintaining the blocking wall giving Rothslisburger plenty of time to read the field, and it worked.

That is similar to the Shanahan O lines in Denver that were successful with Elway and Elway and Rothsburger have the speed to scramble if needed. Did'nt need to scramble at all yesterday because he had time to complete the passes.

Therefore, the Pats O was not on the field very long for the Steeler Game as Pitts was moving the ball at will and controlling the clock? = fewer points for Pats!  Brady and offense had little to do with that loss. Ultimately it all falls back on Belichick. Belichick was outcoached!!!

Sure the Pats D only allowed 6 points in 2nd half but that was fine with the Steelers controlling the clock with a lead. OUTCOACHED, King!!! Like jayshizzle and a few others are saying lately BB decisions as of late are suspicious, Sounds like he at least needs a 'bench coach'. Romeo and Charlie for example?
    I do appreciate your fine contributions here ...with much amusement at times.Laughing

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : I guess I'm wondering if you can then explain the 2008 season in which the Pats went 11-5 without Tom Brady. 
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

2008 roster had the following "non-2011" pats:

Warren, Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Harrison, Sanders, Hobbs, O'neal, Merriweather. 

5 of those guys (and add Wilfork) were all a part of the great Pats defense of the 00's.  Only Wilfork remains, and the new guys got nothing on the old guys. 

At the time, the young guys like Merriweather and Mayo could play well with the vets.  When they became the vets, they didn't (don't) have what it takes to be the leaders. 

Finally, without Brady they wouldn't be as bad as the current colts.  At least you have an offensive line. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Belichick is failing this team... : Really?! You're asking me about a team coming off a SB loaded with talent? Really?! Shoot I'll take last year's team over this one.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

Apart from the lusted-for 'deep threat' that so many are all gooey over, this is an extraordinarily talented offensive team.  Best tight end tandem in the league, solid hard-working running back who doesn't fumble, very good O line, two excellent receivers in Branch and Welker, couple of really good 3rd down backs in Faulk and Woodhead.  So I ask you, where are the holes apart from that goo-inducing deep threat?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

RWTK ... You seem to like to nit pick on Brady alot. He does'nt throw too many Interceptions very often does He? Where would Belichick be without Brady?

Perhaps down the road Belichick will coach the new LA NFL team and beg a 38 YO Brady to come along with him....HMMMMM ....nice Mansion he's building out there!... Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

30 points seems so far away these days. I saw a chart that showed plays of 10 yards or more and its been going down (taking a nose dive!) each week. This was very troubling and concerning. As Brady said himself the offense has NOT been complimenting this defense lately. Welker and Branch were invisible yesterday. I don't know if i've ever seen a running game abandoned so fast. We need to execute against the Giants!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

BB is failing both his team, and himself: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/31/belichicks-personnel-moves-on-defense-come-under-scrutiny/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I don't think BB is failing the team, but they just did not look prepared after coming off this buy. But, somehow to still be in the game late in the 4th says something about this Pats team. Too bad BB did not challenge the TD catch. That would have saved over a minute. The onside kick was not needed. What does that say to your team about their Defense??? Crazy. There was over 2.30 left. The Pats had 3 timeouts. And the 2 minute warning. You kick it off. Make Ben beat you down the field. Give your D a chance to come up big. The %'s are so low on recovering an onside kick. Horrible game plan all around. I don't expect them to win everygame. But I expect them to play better than they did after having 2 weeks prep time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

RWTK ...... I agree it was a myriad of reasons for the loss. I feel the Pats will bounce back as well ...shyte happens. I simply admire Belichick as a coach and happy the Pats have him but where is the running game? Starting Kevin was a bit shocking and just a few other 'controllable things' that people question here.

I just feel the Pats were outcoached by the Steelers which does not happen very often. I don't know how one coach can have so much on his plate in the NFL..... it does'nt add up other then the man requires complete control? Thats all i'm saying.

Your issues with the offense are similar to mine (establish the RUN), more playaction, as they now have 3 speedsters and a power back in the RB position and where not on the field much yesterday as the TOP by Steelers assured that. Sure people complain and why not because the Pats were abused on both sides of the ball yesterday. I still think the Pats will get over this and make the playoffs but it'll be a squirmer watching them play another playoff game.

Still have not read anything about BBs post game report, only Brady.

Sections
Shortcuts