Belichick on Hightower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Belichick on Hightower

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats a nice point to make and it may hold some weight but you see the problem is Dane Fletcher, you know the undrafted guy and Spikes, the guy noone wants resigned seem to be doing an ok job with the same guys in front of them. How do you explain away Fletch and Spikes making multiple stops in the backfield against the Broncos while Hightower was being pushed 5-7 yards back and making tackles almost 10 yards downfield. So yes our tackles are not great but hightower would look bad behind Ted Washington, Ngata and Wilfork in a 34 defense. He is un enthused, no sense of urgency and instincts are not even close to what it should be for an inside player.

[/QUOTE]

If Hightower had the luxury to man the middle on two downs like Spikes does than he would lead us in tackles, as it were he currently is third on the team and led the team in tackles against the Texans last game.  He led us in tackles (10) against the Dolphins also recording 2 tackles for loss and a sack.  

He is being asked to play out of position because, as much as you'd like them to Dane Fletcher and Jamie Collins can't play every down at the "mike" linebacker position, so when your only other option out there is Spikes, you go with Hightower.

Can you imagine Spikes out there trying to man cover anyone?  You don't have to because it will never happen, but unfortunately for Donte he and Spikes play the same position and Spikes is so limited the team has no choice.

Injuries have this effect on teams, we had the best defense in the NFL for the first 1/4 of the season and nobody was complaining, now we lose two team captains in Wilfork and Mayo along with our other starting defensive tackle in Kelly and suddenly everyone "sux."  

It couldn't be complementary football breaking down, it couldn't be players like Hightower and Arrington being asked to step outside their comfort zone... again, learn the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thats a nice point to make and it may hold some weight but you see the problem is Dane Fletcher, you know the undrafted guy and Spikes, the guy noone wants resigned seem to be doing an ok job with the same guys in front of them. How do you explain away Fletch and Spikes making multiple stops in the backfield against the Broncos while Hightower was being pushed 5-7 yards back and making tackles almost 10 yards downfield. So yes our tackles are not great but hightower would look bad behind Ted Washington, Ngata and Wilfork in a 34 defense. He is un enthused, no sense of urgency and instincts are not even close to what it should be for an inside player.

[/QUOTE]

If Hightower had the luxury to man the middle on two downs like Spikes does than he would lead us in tackles, as it were he currently is third on the team and led the team in tackles against the Texans last game.  He led us in tackles (10) against the Dolphins also recording 2 tackles for loss and a sack.  

He is being asked to play out of position because, as much as you'd like them to Dane Fletcher and Jamie Collins can't play every down at the "mike" linebacker position, so when your only other option out there is Spikes, you go with Hightower.

Can you imagine Spikes out there trying to man cover anyone?  You don't have to because it will never happen, but unfortunately for Donte he and Spikes play the same position and Spikes is so limited the team has no choice.

Injuries have this effect on teams, we had the best defense in the NFL for the first 1/4 of the season and nobody was complaining, now we lose two team captains in Wilfork and Mayo along with our other starting defensive tackle in Kelly and suddenly everyone "sux."  

It couldn't be complementary football breaking down, it couldn't be players like Hightower and Arrington being asked to step outside their comfort zone... again, learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

Snaps dont lie...

Last game HT and Spikes were roughly even on  their snaps vs. earlier in the year when Hightowers snaps dominated.  HT was benched  in the Denver game.

It was surprising to see him get even that many snaps against Houlston, but as you say it was out of necessity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess we just have to disagree man. Fletch played every down in denver game in the 2nd half.

Spikes was covering guys downfield all game vs the Texans. He is the best guy we have to cover TEs outside of collins., even when Mayo was here but you all never gave him credit. Spikes is physical and makes up with that what he cant with speed.(go back and watch as Spikes is running stride for stride with the TE after jamming him) We saw Mayo faceguard and stay with TEs but NOT Make the play. Spikes beats em up at the line and usually there is an incompletion or even an INT. I dont know why Spikes takes a beating here. He is likely the least athletic guy on the field but gets it done with a nasty style of play. I dont know what you want, but if you are gonna see what u want, I cant debate with you.

You are the same guy who made bold predictions in preseason that didnt come to fruition and when called on it, said you never said it and then when the guy had one good game you came back and admitted you said it.  Stick to ya guns or dont make the comments. NOS also saw what i saw so I dont know why you deny it. Or like now, u DID say it concerning collins, but since Sudfield isnt even here, U didnt say THAT comment right? cmon man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think BB is always truthful. Honestly, has he ever lied about what he thinks.  If he doesn't want to talk about a player he would just say he's not talking about it.  He's never said some guy is playing great who isn't.  He may say "this guy works hard and does what we ask". That doesn't mean he's any good.  I'm sure BB has cut players he respected who work hard.  I've heard him say in an interview how its hard to cut players who are working hard doing what you ask.

What did he say about Adalius when he got benched?  We're doing what's best for our team.  He didn't lie and say he played well.

Fact of the matter is BB could have said nothing, he chose to say what he said because he disagrees with the criticism. Now people don't like that BB told them they're wrong so they want to make crap up about BB saying that about everyone.  He doesn't.  

If you disagree with BB- fine.  But at least be man enough to admit it instead of spinning it like he thinks Hightower sucks when he said quite clearly he disagrees.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  BB doesn't lie.  He's a standup head coach, unlike that dirtbag in Pittsburgh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB is a genius, but he often isn't a very good evaluator of talent.

[/QUOTE]

BB is a great, great coach. He is no genius. Please stop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

What did Tedy Bruschi do when Petey Carrol needed him to move from DE to OLB?!  He took the challenge HEAD on and excelled at it.

What did Tedy Bruschi do when BB asked him to play inside Linebacker for us?? He took the challenge and excelled at it. I can say the same for MIke Vrabel who also started as a DE but played a year inside for us and did VERY WELL.

This guy Hightower comes from a Saban led team, a powerhouse school and 1st ROUND PICK and you guys want to make excuses and coddle him?? Thats why we havent won anything. We need BALLERS! WINNERS! Whatever it takes. So yea lets give a guy a pass because OH NO, he is playing out of position?!?!  He is a LINEBACKER, just not a very good one. Stop lying to yourselves.

Do I need to also tell the story the Troy Brown!? The 8th round pick who played defense after being a career wideout and logged 3 INTs?!

Or how about Edleman? If you havent noticed, BB likes football players so I guess Hightower will be gone soon or be switching back to something he does well. You guys make too many excuses for grown men getting paid millions to play a game. I still go out and toss around the pigskin so I cant make excuses. I would love to have that job and I would go all out no matter WHERE they put me. Dam Prima donnas these days... smh

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Wozzy is right, the middle DL is absolutely terrible and that's that. It will prevent them from winning a SB this year imo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Snaps dont lie...

Last game HT and Spikes were roughly even on  their snaps vs. earlier in the year when Hightowers snaps dominated.  HT was benched  in the Denver game.

It was surprising to see him get even that many snaps against Houlston, but as you say it was out of necessity. 

[/QUOTE]

Collins and Fletcher have played more in the last two games, specifically Collins who as a rookie had to earn his minutes.  Hightower's snaps increased the moment Mayo went down because Spikes couldn't possibly play the same role as Mayo, and even Hightower could only do it average to poorly.  

Hightower led us in tackles against Houston, against Manning we were better off playing faster mobile LB's like Collins and Fletcher.  The bigger point here is that linebacker play is not our weakness, it's the play of the DT's in front of them that is causing a ripple effect backwards in the defense.

It all starts upfront, football is won or lost in the trenches, there are only so many maxims available for me to use but those are pretty universal.  

Don't blame LB's because opposing QB's have all day in the pocket to throw or because DT's are not filling their gaps... BB wasn't being dishonest in his answer, he was telling you the real problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB is a genius, but he often isn't a very good evaluator of talent.

[/QUOTE]

If BB wasn't a good evaluator of talent, how do the Pats keep winning every year. You have to be able to evaluate talent to be able to form a successful roster.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

I guess some might be happy with regular season "success", sort of like the Colts of fore. It's all about Championships. Nobody gets accolades for best/good regular season records.

[/QUOTE]

You know that better than anyone on this board. Thanks for posting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

As expected Bill was asked about Hightower this week (because he's playing like dirt) and as expected he spoke glowingly about him. If anyone didn't see this coming they haven't been following the team over the last ten years...Bill protects his players as any good coach would. I remember listening to Belichick tell us how good Maroney was, Chung too...they both are long gone...Hightower will be too when his contract runs up, or sooner.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

The real problem with Hightower;

Joe Vellano: 6'1" a maybe but not likely 300 pound rookie = undrafted

Chris Jones: 6'2" barely 300 pound rookie = 6th round draft pick, cut by two team before landing in NE

Sealver Siliga: 6'2" 325 pounds of flab = undrafted, 3 tackles in his career, 2 came last game

Issac Soapoga: finally someone big enough = 4th round pick, has 88 starts, 8 sacks and 1 forced fumble in ten years, he's the best (only) every down defensive tackle we have and he's not that good.

Oh yeah and Jerod Mayo is out, so Hightower is often playing out of position...  learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

this is all 100% correct. However, the reasons listed are WHY Hightower is not playing well. It does not hide the fact that he is not playing well.

I also put zero credence into what BB said about a player. I put much more crdence in what I saw on the field, and what BB did during the game, which was bench Hightower. What we do not know is was he injured? But bottom line, he was removed from the game after missing tackles, and not playing proper lanes...it was very clear...

Is Hightower capable of playing much better with Vince and Kelly in front of him and in the strongside position? I do think he is...I am not ready to label him a bust, nor am I writing him off...I simply feel he has not played that well this entire season...even when Mayo and the DT's were healthy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Stick Hightower at end and move nink to lb. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Flippin' team is at 9-3, 2nd best record in the conference and projects to be number 2 seed going into the playoffs and we're second guessing how the coach that got the team there is using a player.  Yep, it's a fan forum and 2nd guessing is what fans do but egad.

Yeah, I know, if I don't like a thread don't read it.  Well, if you don't like my comment don't read it - with all due respect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

from Pro Football Focus;

Linebackers Make Little Impact

New England’s run defense took its lumps once again this week, but it didn’t go exactly as it has throughout the season. Since defensive tackle Vince Wilfork went down to injury, the replacement defensive tackles have had their issues at the point of attack, but linebackers Brandon Spikes and Dont’a Hightower have generally been able to make up for a less than stellar front. That wasn’t the case Sunday as the defensive line did a fair job against the run, but Spikes and Hightower looked out of place. Spikes, who may be playing hurt, lacked his usual aggressiveness that sees him attack the line of scrimmage. He was caught reading and reacting a bit too much and Texans running backs had little resistance from him at the second level. Look no further than RB Ben Tate’s touchdown at the 11:39 mark of the fourth quarter as Spikes hesitated then tried to side-step left guard Wade Smith’s block and easily got sealed inside as Tate ran by untouched. Spikes’ -1.6 run stop grade was easily his worst of the season. As for Hightower, he was similarly hesitant at times, and subsequently missing out on opportunities to get in on tackles near the line of scrimmage. Like Spikes, he also notched his worst run stop grade of the season at -1.2.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Flippin' team is at 9-3, 2nd best record in the conference and projects to be number 2 seed going into the playoffs and we're second guessing how the coach that got the team there is using a player.  Yep, it's a fan forum and 2nd guessing is what fans do but egad.

Yeah, I know, if I don't like a thread don't read it.  Well, if you don't like my comment don't read it - with all due respect.

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, because I think you seem like a good guy, you write this type of post on almost every thread. What is the point, sir? Just curious.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stick Hightower at end and move nink to lb. 

[/QUOTE]

end of the bench?  I suggested this weeks ago to play on the  line but dont you have to play with a sense of urgency to pass rush? I would like to see him excel somewhere but I dont like excuses being made for a high pick. Brushi switched position a few times and NEVER look dis-interested as Hightower does at times. I would have rather have back Benard who showed ability to pass rush and play backer in preseason. We have enough bodies where this guy doesnt HAVE to play IMO. Jermaine Cunningham excelled as a DE for Cripes sake at 265 lbs. This guy is a tub of goo at the moment.Make him a D tackle on passing downs...lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the Texans, a 2-9 team with a rookie QB took the Pats defense to the woodshed, with the Pats lucky to eke out a narrow victory thanks in part to 2 long FG's...some are simply discussing why...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Have you looked around at the other threads to choose from? I would be offended by your comment seeing as I am partaking but cmon man. Should we spend all day talking about how great we are?  It seems when US fans who DO have the stones to call out a player while others give him the b.o.t.d, always get called out for harping on someone but if he gets praised, someone will post That?!  Goes both ways. After I pointed out his poor play and got read the riot act, plenty of people in the know have echoed it after me . Im not crying about the seaon but rather posting on a thread someone else made up. I dont see anything interesting to discuss other than that. I had a laugh on the Wheres Danny thread. Where is the real football talk?

this came up 2 weeks ago and you said you would have to know what BB wanted on specific plays and what not in order to determine and last week BB was asked about Denver and Carolina, halftime adjustments. He said he was more upset about the Carolina game because they just didnt do much right where as the Denver game was a plan to allow runs and we just got behind due to turnovers. To me, that sais what I was thinking. BB wasnt happy with his play in Carolina and when it continued, he was benched in Denver.

Now maybe you are not concerned that our 1st round pick is heading to bustville, but I am and you can always choose not to discuss but its all Pats football right? You guys are funny. If you dont wanna say anything worthwhile , toe the line and never say anything bad about a player, this is not the place for you.  Why do we have to be the problem? Wozzy does the same and picks and chooses what he wants to acknowledge he said.  Im not here to spectate., Im here to debate, discuss my team, good n bad.. I wish you well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You were expecting BB to say a guy he traded up to pick in the first round sucks? Even BB isn't that lousy at PR. BB shows what he really thinks at the end of the rookie contract, or occasionally sooner; with a new contract or a premature cut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

BB is BSing...   HT has actually been playing poorly for whatever inexplicable reasons...  but there is the optimistic possiblity that he will all of a sudden get it and start flying around hitting people... while displaying intincts and confidence and overall motivation....

so lets just hope that happens and we all can stop bashing him in these threads.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

from Pro Football Focus;

Linebackers Make Little Impact

New England’s run defense took its lumps once again this week, but it didn’t go exactly as it has throughout the season. Since defensive tackle Vince Wilfork went down to injury, the replacement defensive tackles have had their issues at the point of attack, but linebackers Brandon Spikes and Dont’a Hightower have generally been able to make up for a less than stellar front. That wasn’t the case Sunday as the defensive line did a fair job against the run, but Spikes and Hightower looked out of place. Spikes, who may be playing hurt, lacked his usual aggressiveness that sees him attack the line of scrimmage. He was caught reading and reacting a bit too much and Texans running backs had little resistance from him at the second level. Look no further than RB Ben Tate’s touchdown at the 11:39 mark of the fourth quarter as Spikes hesitated then tried to side-step left guard Wade Smith’s block and easily got sealed inside as Tate ran by untouched. Spikes’ -1.6 run stop grade was easily his worst of the season. As for Hightower, he was similarly hesitant at times, and subsequently missing out on opportunities to get in on tackles near the line of scrimmage. Like Spikes, he also notched his worst run stop grade of the season at -1.2.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this piece. It pretty much mirrors what I saw on the field Sunday. Certainly injuries to the DL contribute to the poor run defense but Spikes and Hightower were both awful as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It wouldn't be the first time BB has played somebody who sucks and will be a cut after the rookie contract.

Of course BB is 9-3, he has Tom Brady. We've been over this ATJ.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I thought this comment by BB was even more interesting when he was talking about DH:

"I think we'd like to have some other guys playing as well as he is"

Now, if he's telling the truth there I wonder who those "other guys" might be?

Sections
Shortcuts