Belichick on Rodney..."One of the greatest ever"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Belichick on Rodney..."One of the greatest ever"

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741282/can-a-harrison-type-player-exist-today

I love hearing coach talk about former players like this.

Like when he characterized coaching Tedy Bruschi with, "The perfect player"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Belichick on Rodney...

Agreed, nice to hear... he's certainly one of my all-time favorite NE players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741282/can-a-harrison-type-player-exist-today

I love hearing coach talk about former players like this.

Like when he characterized coaching Tedy Bruschi with, "The perfect player"

he was certainly very tough and very good/great but even you pats fan got to admit he was one dirty mofo!

and i don't mean within the rules as they existed back when i mean outside them!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Rodney is to dirty, what Tyree is to lucky.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

well tyree may have been lucky but that was once-rodney was dirty all the time!  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Great great player. Maybe one the best tacklers I can remember. I'll never forget that game against Dallas when Parcells's was coaching them - there was a lot of tension because of the way Belichick and him split...game was ultra close. Rodney made this shoe string tackle towards the sidelines and prevented their back from picking up a first down that could of really changed the outcome of that game. Parcells's had a look on his face like...wow, that's the game right there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

well tyree may have been lucky but that was once-rodney was dirty all the time!  LOL

And Rodney wasn't dirty enough on that play, ha.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Funny how the two terms "dirty" and "plays hard" get mixed together so much. If the guy is on YOUR team he plays hard, if its the OTHER team, he is dirty! I guess you guys havent had a real SS in a while. If Kenny Phillips wasnt always hurt, maybe you too would appreciate that, but your team has another weapon. Pass Rush! Touche

I dont think you can throw the word Dirty around like that. I think of D.Suh and Romanowski as dirty. Harrion was not dirty but did sneak in his late hits from time to time. His coaches loved it and encouraged it. Most fans LOVE Rodney but hate Pollard for playing the same way! When you play wreckless it can be perceived as Dirty but its not. Its called playing ALL OUT! and something OUR secondary has been missing. The same Play that ended Bradys 08 season was the play that Rodney made on Trent Green in preseason that ended his season. Pollard never hit Wes, but he is blamed for his injury. Pollard has been called every name in the book here but when BB signs him, all will be forgiven. Dont talk to me about Dirty!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Here are the best Safeties I've seen in my life:

1. Ronnie Lott

2. Ed Reed

3. Rodney Harrison

4. Adrian Wilson

5. Kenny Easley (highly underrated buried in Seattle for his whole career)

Short list, folks. Throw in the fact Rodney was a gamer, won SBs, went to 4, 1 with SD in 1994 as a rookie, and he's a HOFer.

Could prob toss Dawkins, Atwater, Polamalu, Lynch, Deron Cherry, Darren Woodson and Darren Sharper into that convo as well.

Though I do agree that Lott is the best ever.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I absolutely loved 37.

Talked smack and backed it up. Clutch, ferocious smart and an absolute leader among men.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Too Bad Rodney will never get his due and may not even make the hall due to all the Haters and the favoritism in this league. Its pretty hard to make the Hall when they only elected you to 2 PRO BOWLS! The most embarrasing thing IMO for the league to do. In 2003 and 2004, Rodney played ABSOLUTELY lights out on his way to earning 2 SB rings. John Lynchs career was DONE, but since he was still playing in Denver , they snubbed Rodney in favor of him. You dont even wanna know who went ahead of the next year.

Rodney put up 138 tackles, 3 sacks, 8 P.D.s, 3 INTs and a FF in 2003 in 16 starts

Lynch put up 72 tackles, .5 sack, 6 P.D.s, 1 INT and No FFs in 2003, 14 starts, but made the Pro Bowl over Rodney. What a JOKE!

Rodney also put up 126 tackles, 3 sacks, 8 P.D.s, and 2 INTs. Now thats some consistency. Also started all 16 games , this in the 2004 year. Again, no pro bowl appearance., No one was even close to his numbers.

So in 2004, you wanna guess who made it over Rodney that year????  The Great Brock Marion!  Dude wasnt even in the league 2 years later! and Jerome Woods was the other pick!  Now if this aint a clear sign of Hating a player and Blocking his Path to Canton, I dont know what is. I hope he still gets in, but he has a rough road with just 2 pro bowls. Thats why I dont take any of these NFL awards seriously. I watch players PLAY and make my own asessments.

Brian Dawkins gotta be on the list for his consistent play and impact on those Eagle teams and he went to Denver and helped there in his twilights. Best blitzer of my time.

Darren Woodson was pretty good but didnt play that long. Rod Woodson was maybe the best, but only played Safety half his career and made pro  bowls as CB and S. Darren Sharper is my guy but only made an impact in the passing game. Atwater was a FIERCE hitter but not the thinker Rodney was. Polomaulu is great but is hurt too much to even be in the convo yet.

'

Ronnie Lott is my all time Best, but Im having a hard time not putting Rodney # 2 based on what he did late here in N.E. - His stats in S.D. blow his Patriots stats away but he WON here and also had a INT in EACH of his playoff games here and thats Amazing! So I got Ronnie and Rodney 1 and 2 and the rest all fall somewhere after them...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Yeah you're right Jints, he was Bernard Pollard before Bernard Pollard. We loved him no one else did. I have to laugh at "playing hard through the whistle" to be honest, that would be a fine statement but there's a difference between playing hard through the whistle and playing hard through the whistle and directly into someones knee which was one of Rodney's favourite things to do by the looks of things. Just being honest guys, lying gets you no where as they say

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Plank and Fencik get honorable mention as a duo, Harris and Waters as well. Tim Fox was fun to watch.

But I guess I'm old school.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

This is plenty bad, it's not after the whistle but if you hit someone below the knee nothing good will come of it. I mean he's jsut a guy who played overly agressive all the time even when it wasn't necessary. He gets blocked off his feet and dives below the knee to me that's the defintion of dirty. Physiologically it's bad news no matter how you slice it and it's a preseason game. Rusty it's my opinion, you don't get a name like that without earning the name, if you think otherwise fine

http://youtu.be/-u6jCcmix-E

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

cliff harris, charlie waters, donnie shell, jack tatum, george atkinson, dick anderson, jake scott, fred marion, joey browner, sean taylor....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Too Bad Rodney will never get his due and may not even make the hall due to all the Haters and the favoritism in this league. Its pretty hard to make the Hall when they only elected you to 2 PRO BOWLS! The most embarrasing thing IMO for the league to do. In 2003 and 2004, Rodney played ABSOLUTELY lights out on his way to earning 2 SB rings. John Lynchs career was DONE, but since he was still playing in Denver , they snubbed Rodney in favor of him. You dont even wanna know who went ahead of the next year.

Rodney put up 138 tackles, 3 sacks, 8 P.D.s, 3 INTs and a FF in 2003 in 16 starts

Lynch put up 72 tackles, .5 sack, 6 P.D.s, 1 INT and No FFs in 2003, 14 starts, but made the Pro Bowl over Rodney. What a JOKE!

Rodney also put up 126 tackles, 3 sacks, 8 P.D.s, and 2 INTs. Now thats some consistency. Also started all 16 games , this in the 2004 year. Again, no pro bowl appearance., No one was even close to his numbers.

So in 2004, you wanna guess who made it over Rodney that year????  The Great Brock Marion!  Dude wasnt even in the league 2 years later! and Jerome Woods was the other pick!  Now if this aint a clear sign of Hating a player and Blocking his Path to Canton, I dont know what is. I hope he still gets in, but he has a rough road with just 2 pro bowls. Thats why I dont take any of these NFL awards seriously. I watch players PLAY and make my own asessments.

Brian Dawkins gotta be on the list for his consistent play and impact on those Eagle teams and he went to Denver and helped there in his twilights. Best blitzer of my time.

Darren Woodson was pretty good but didnt play that long. Rod Woodson was maybe the best, but only played Safety half his career and made pro  bowls as CB and S. Darren Sharper is my guy but only made an impact in the passing game. Atwater was a FIERCE hitter but not the thinker Rodney was. Polomaulu is great but is hurt too much to even be in the convo yet.

'

Ronnie Lott is my all time Best, but Im having a hard time not putting Rodney # 2 based on what he did late here in N.E. - His stats in S.D. blow his Patriots stats away but he WON here and also had a INT in EACH of his playoff games here and thats Amazing! So I got Ronnie and Rodney 1 and 2 and the rest all fall somewhere after them...

Agree all the way. Good post. I remember Marion getting in over rodney and I wanted to toss my cookies.

1 question though, how can they not vote the ONLY member of the 30/30 club into the HOF? 30 sacks 30 INT's.....he is still the only member right?

Sections
Shortcuts