Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

And then there is this from mike reiss today.....don't worry, I won't beat my chest.

Are the Patriots better off committing to the run (as they did in the past two games with great success) or airing it out against a vulnerable Colts defense? That’s the topic of this week’s Hot Button question as the Patriots prepare for Saturday night’s matchup against the Colts. 

Here are snippets from our arguments for each one. Vote for yourself in the poll to the right. 

How should the Patriots' offense attack the Colts?

* Commitment to run critical: There is a common thread to some of the Patriots’ most devastating losses in Bill Belichick’s coaching tenure, most of which were of the season-ending variety: The offense was so focused on letting it fly in those games that it struggled to control the line of scrimmage. 

There’s a decisive way to ensure that doesn’t happen Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC divisional round of the playoffs. 

Run it. Run it some more. And then run it some more. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[

Thanks morerings. 

This discussion has morphed into a few guys beating their chests in triumph as they proclaim themselves winners of an opinion based debate. Its funny, kind of.

my entire point of view has never been about magical ratios that this team must hit in order to win. This was concocted by either prolate or zbellino somehwere in our 3 year long talk. I felt that until the past 2 seasons we were too predictable on offense.

I defend BB the GM more then most but i am on record as disliking how little value he places on the RB position. We went 2 full seasons with undrafted free agents as our 2 starters. Anyway, it is not only the run game that took a back seat imo, it was screen passes, check downs, utilization of FB's, throwing the ball to 7 or 8 receivers as opposed to 3or 4.( you guys remember...Bradys favorite receiver was "the open one")

These are my opinions. I feel that the very poor showing by our offense in our last 5 playoff exits illustrates my point. 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 points scored in 5 playoff losses in a row. I think effective use of balance leads to a more efficient offense. sorry if I am an idiot in thinking that .

A few of my detractors will exaggerate my statements into blown out of proportion crap that ive never said like, you think you know more then BB, or you think running x amount of times = a win every time...blah blah. As a fan who has literally not missed 1 single game since 1996 and watched many before that, i stand by my opinion that our offense has been missing something in big games Since 2007.

If you dont like it then dont read my posts. If you disagree, good, but dont fall back on the empty opinion that if our offense was broke BB would fix it, because as we see by our 15.3 points per game scoring average in our last 5 playoff losses, our beloved coach, and general manager, best in Nfl history has not fixed it. So unless you think he was happy with the results, or nothing could have been done differently to change these outcomes then you are 100% dead wrong.

Now put some ice on your chests shizzle, zbellino and prolate. You dont want to bruise up.

If your point is that the team is unbalanced because the talent has been lacking, then why have you been arguing with me since 2011, when I said they didn't run more because they weren't  built to run more? You've always presented this as a play calling issue, not a talent issue.  In fact, you've mocked me when I've said the play calling simply reflected the talent we had. Now suddenly it's not a matter of calling the run more, it's a matter of how the team was built.   Well, since I've been saying that very same thing for like three years, I guess you've finally come around to agreeing.  All I can say now is cool.  You get it. Talent matters.

DONE!  Thank You. Blount > Benny! That and the fact we have like NO WRs or TEs is the only reason its gonna change THIS year IF it does.

What? How about ridley last year? Or benny in 2010, or jordan, morris and faulk getting is to 6th in rushing in 2008? Amd you would think te's would advocate a case for running as they are integral to a run game. Did you grab an ice bag yet? Your chest is bruising.

Im sorry if you dont get it pal. I thought you were one of the guys who knew football. I fear you are going off the rail to prove a point. Benny is averging 3.6 ypc in Cincy. Blount is avering 5.0 or something. You dont seem to be able to correlate how RBs can be MORE productive here behind Brady and our passing offense than playing in Cincy. Benny got a 1,000 Yards? Ok, Ricky Williams doubled that while smoking joints before games. !000 yards aint chit pal. sorry to break it to ya. 60 yards per game? Does that give you a woody?

Ok, lets move to point B.  Playing in the shotgun, Benny hill had the advantage of Teams NOT paying attention to him and got good yardage on draw plays where D was expecting run. When he lined up with Brady under center, he didnt fair as well. Noone is gonna pay attention to the 149th rated rusher with the best QB of all time in front of him. You still with me.

Now fast forward to Ridley. OH he is def. more explosive than Benny, but you see his 1st year BB didnt think enough to even play him in postseason. Then last year he got his shot and was promplty Knocked the FLub out as he fumbled away our postseason. This year he continued to fumble away our chances until Blount took over and looked like A.Smith in 03 and NOW we are talking about a power run game. Wozzy said back in july we would be smashmouth and I said , "not without a D we wont" and after the D collapsed, we saw what happened. Running wild on the BIlls hasnt totally convinced me of us running more but Im encouraged. It was Talent and always has been.

Vareen cant run full time in between tackles. Bolden stinks and had a bad knee and Ridley fumbles too much. Blount saves our goose this year as Im sure noone feels comfy with Ridler as our lead back in postseason. Neither would Bill, thats why he went and traded for Blount. Its no diff than him carrying 4 Qbs in the hopes of Brady taking Bledsoes job. BB was already looking for Ridleys replacement last january but it took 4 fumbles for him to LOSE the job.

Thanks BB

• You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

All I have to say is.....if running the ball in itself would have raised our chances at winning automatically, why hasn't BB figured this out in years!  

This is not one or two games but years the team has played the take what the D gives you and go for the match up style offense.

So then it must be...

A. BB is a weak coach and does know he has let his team fail by not running the ball more....

B. BB is not that smart of a coach and you guys know better...

C. BB Knows more then any of us about football and we are all wrong...

D. I will never concede what I think is right because I can't be proven wrong, or if I am....  I will attack and ignore any facts or statement "even by BB" till everyone gives up arguing and this thread falls off the front page and out of memory.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

BB is the best at disinformation. Keep them guessing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

Only time he puts out disinformation is about who is going to play week to week on the injury report.  

When he is asked about football strategy he answers and gives well thought out answers.  I have never seen him put out disinformation during an interview, he just cuts off questions he will not answer.  Now if your point is he put out disinformation or injury report that is a whole different ball park than what he said in this comment and other like this...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Commitment to run critical: There is a common th

read to some of the Patriots’ most devastating losses in Bill Belichick’s coaching tenure, most of which were of the season-ending variety: The offense was so focused on letting it fly in those games that it struggled to control the line of scrimmage. 

There’s a decisive way to ensure that doesn’t happen Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC divisional round of the playoffs. 

This is what the Patriots did in their final two games of the regular season, identity-shaping victories over the Ravens and Bills. The power-running commitment was there from the start, seldom wavered, and we saw the end result -- decisive control at the line of scrimmage, where games are most often won and lost. -- MIKE REISS 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mike Reiss is clearly more of an expert than Bill Belichick.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

All I have to say is.....if running the ball in itself would have raised our chances at winning automatically, why hasn't BB figured this out in years!  

That's the million dollar question. If it is simple as 1+1=2, and we are all blind but the select few cognoscenti here, then why can't Bill Belichick figure it out?

D. I will never concede what I think is right because I can't be proven wrong, or if I am....  I will attack and ignore any facts or statement "even by BB" till everyone gives up arguing and this thread falls off the front page and out of memory.

That is the most likely answer you are really going to recieve from that camp. People on this forum are too dug in. There is way too much at stake for people to recognize some errors in a thing they posted years ago. There are too many arguments under the belt.

That a run-pass ratio is an outcome, and if Bill had his way, NE would have been running the clock out in the 4th quarter like Charlie Weiss used to have the luxury to do, I take as a fact. But then, if you look at Weiss' offenses in those final playoff ending games, win lose or draw, MINUS THE 4TH QUARTER you have nearly the exact same percentage of runs 22 runs to 29 passes or 44-56% as you do in the "post-Weiss" era in the same games, 22 runs to 30 runs per3Q or 43%-57%.  

So what Bill is saying is pretty much true. There is really no difference in how often Weiss ran it, unless you count runs that happen at the end of the wins and passes at the end of losses. Then, sure, it appears like New England passes a whole lot more per game in the playoffs than they did before.

The truth is they do, but only because they aren't keeping opponents from scoring as well, and they are not scoring the points to make up for it. The difference is in how well they executed leading up to that point on offense and defense. Weiss had a tremendous defense backing him, and won games where the offense scored 13-13-11-17 points.

The last five or six years, New England could never win a game scoring so few points. They just couldn't. There literally isn't a single game their defense has allowed less than that, or scored itself to bring the total score up. 

For me it's never really even been about coaching, and even if New England has had less overall talent than those old teams it's less about that. 

They have been as successful as they were then, if we look at football outside of a playoff context and look at it like a game of black-jack. They have won as many or more games, etcetera. They've just come up short in a "winner-take-all" game.

In a game of win-probability, averages, etcetera, like Black Jack or Poker, you also have a system. The difference is the odds are almost never "winner-take-all" the way the playoffs in the NFL are. So your system can be evaluated on how well it wins overall, rather than face scathing scrutiny based on the overblown merits of one particular loss. 

SB 42 illustrates this perfectly. New England won more games than it ever had that season. They even beat the Giants once. They just didn't get it done the second time. Who would fault a whole system for failing to win ONE out of NINETEEN games against an opponent it had already beaten?

Let's say, per chance, that Ty Law doesn't gather a pick-six against Kurt Warner. New England loses that game 13-17. Let's say Givens pulls a Welker against the Panthers and drops his pass in the 4th quarter leaving New England an unmakeable 4th and 9? They likely lose that game too. You could go on and on. No Troy Brown punt return TD against the Steelers? New England gathered 5 turnovers against the Colts in 2003! Brady even threw an interception in that game, in the 4th quarter! They won by ten, but the final FG was on a last minute drive. For the majority of the game, it was a seven point contest. Stop and consider if ANY of those five turnovers didn't happen, there is likely a different outcome.

So when people doubt the system that wins so often, I can only say bah. And I really can't even muster a response when people say things like "It all comes down to running more or less" and then can't even back it with meaningful statistics. It's not the system's fault, but the nature of the game.  

In no way does a Superbowl drought invalidate the merits of Bill Belichick's "system" from top to bottom. He still wins more than anyone else in football if you look at it holistically.  There isn't a coach I'd rather have, even if his game plans aren't always perfect and he misses sometimes in the draft, because no coach is as good consistently, and I firmly believe that using his system, New England will have more chances to win, and will likely finish it off the right way a few more times. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Making up mike reiss quotes? Nutty

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[

Thanks morerings. 

This discussion has morphed into a few guys beating their chests in triumph as they proclaim themselves winners of an opinion based debate. Its funny, kind of.

my entire point of view has never been about magical ratios that this team must hit in order to win. This was concocted by either prolate or zbellino somehwere in our 3 year long talk. I felt that until the past 2 seasons we were too predictable on offense.

I defend BB the GM more then most but i am on record as disliking how little value he places on the RB position. We went 2 full seasons with undrafted free agents as our 2 starters. Anyway, it is not only the run game that took a back seat imo, it was screen passes, check downs, utilization of FB's, throwing the ball to 7 or 8 receivers as opposed to 3or 4.( you guys remember...Bradys favorite receiver was "the open one")

These are my opinions. I feel that the very poor showing by our offense in our last 5 playoff exits illustrates my point. 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 points scored in 5 playoff losses in a row. I think effective use of balance leads to a more efficient offense. sorry if I am an idiot in thinking that .

A few of my detractors will exaggerate my statements into blown out of proportion crap that ive never said like, you think you know more then BB, or you think running x amount of times = a win every time...blah blah. As a fan who has literally not missed 1 single game since 1996 and watched many before that, i stand by my opinion that our offense has been missing something in big games Since 2007.

If you dont like it then dont read my posts. If you disagree, good, but dont fall back on the empty opinion that if our offense was broke BB would fix it, because as we see by our 15.3 points per game scoring average in our last 5 playoff losses, our beloved coach, and general manager, best in Nfl history has not fixed it. So unless you think he was happy with the results, or nothing could have been done differently to change these outcomes then you are 100% dead wrong.

Now put some ice on your chests shizzle, zbellino and prolate. You dont want to bruise up.

If your point is that the team is unbalanced because the talent has been lacking, then why have you been arguing with me since 2011, when I said they didn't run more because they weren't  built to run more? You've always presented this as a play calling issue, not a talent issue.  In fact, you've mocked me when I've said the play calling simply reflected the talent we had. Now suddenly it's not a matter of calling the run more, it's a matter of how the team was built.   Well, since I've been saying that very same thing for like three years, I guess you've finally come around to agreeing.  All I can say now is cool.  You get it. Talent matters.

Because it never was a talent issue. Do I wish we had better running backs then benny amd woody as our 1 2? Yes, but thay doesnt mean they sucked. Benny had a 1,000 yards and 13 tds splitting time. Our offensive line is now and always has been one of the best in the league due to having a 7x super bowl o line coach.

2008 brady goes down amd we are 6th in the league in rushing with lamont jordan and sammy morris. What do you think of that prolate?

2010 we ship out moss to put an end to our 1 dimensional offense and we had a great rushing offense with bjge and wood leading the way, 9th in the league in rushing and 2nd in rushing tds. What do you think about that prolate?  

Last year mcdaniels comes back, and we were 7th in rushing, 2nd in attempts and 1st in rushing tds. 3 different yesrs, 3 different running back cores with different talent...same results. If we want to, we will . we've proven it.

• I think Bill Belichick knows what he's doing. 

It isn't 1 or the other.

But Reiss is clearly more of an expert then you are.

[

Thanks morerings. 

Because it never was a talent issue. Do I wish we had better running backs then benny amd woody as our 1 2? Yes, but thay doesnt mean they sucked. Benny had a 1,000 yards and 13 tds splitting time. Our offensive line is now and always has been one of the best in the league due to having a 7x super bowl o line coach.

2008 brady goes down amd we are 6th in the league in rushing with lamont jordan and sammy morris. What do you think of that prolate?

2010 we ship out moss to put an end to our 1 dimensional offense and we had a great rushing offense with bjge and wood leading the way, 9th in the league in rushing and 2nd in rushing tds. What do you think about that prolate?  

Last year mcdaniels comes back, and we were 7th in rushing, 2nd in attempts and 1st in rushing tds. 3 different yesrs, 3 different running back cores with different talent...same results. If we want to, we will . we've proven it.

I think Bill Belichick knows what he's doing. 

• You just don't think he knows how to build a talented enough team. Gotcha. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Only time he puts out disinformation is about who is going to play week to week on the injury report.  

When he is asked about football strategy he answers and gives well thought out answers.  I have never seen him put out disinformation during an interview, he just cuts off questions he will not answer.  Now if your point is he put out disinformation or injury report that is a whole different ball park than what he said in this comment and other like this...

when someone states:   "You're 9-0 when you rush 30 or more times in a game. What do you make of that statistic?:

and you answer back: "I'm sure a lot of those rushes came when we were ahead so it's easy when you're ahead in the fourth quarter to want to run the ball"

you are deflecting away from the topic, so as not to give any insight as to what you might plan to do in an upcomimg game.

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

Making up mike reiss quotes? Nutty

Yeah.... No.

By Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

There is a common thread to some of the Patriots' most devastating losses in Bill Belichick's coaching tenure, most of which were of the season-ending variety: The offense was so focused on letting it fly in those games that it struggled to control the line of scrimmage.

There's a decisive way to ensure that doesn't happen Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC divisional round of the playoffs.

This is what the Patriots did in their final two games of the regular season, identity-shaping victories over the Ravens and Bills. The power-running commitment was there from the start, seldom wavered, and we saw the end result -- decisive control at the line of scrimmage, where games are most often won and lost.

The Patriots can do the same thing to the Colts, who ranked 26th during the regular season in rushing yards allowed (125.1) and 25th in average yards allowed per carry (4.5).

It's true that the banged-up Colts aren't that much better against the pass, but their most lethal weapon is pass-rusher Robert Mathis, whose 19½ sacks led the NFL. So if the choice is giving Mathis a chance to make a game-changing play with extended pass-rush opportunities, or handing the ball off and running right at him, the choice seems obvious.

And it's not as if the Patriots can't still pick their spots in the passing game, as a potent running attack can set up lethal play-action possibilities for Tom Brady.

The Patriots are at their best when the running game is the focal point.

Think about what a difference it would have made in some of the painful losses in recent franchise history.

This has only been my entire premise for the past 6 years(till last year where I think we tried to fix the problem) But I am sure that Mike Reiss's image will now be slanted by my detractors. Probably just selling out to conform to espn or he doesn't really have a grasp on the Patriots organization(somebody pleeease try and make that case) Breathe it in, now exhale it. This isn't an indictment on Bill Belichick like the 4 "other guys" always try to do. This isn't an indictment of Tom Brady like the 1 other guy tries to do. This is just what happens when you have the greatest QB in the history of the game. You tend to fall back on him too much.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

[QUOTE ]

[/QUOTE]

Haha. OK, so 1.) the run always works, never fails. 

Then they ran it, decisively and with focus with Ridley against the Ravens and suffered the second most devastating playoff loss in Bill Belichick's tenure 28-13. 

You and Mike Reiss should go figure that one out. 

when someone states:   "You're 9-0 when you rush 30 or more times in a game. What do you make of that statistic?:

and you answer back: "I'm sure a lot of those rushes came when we were ahead so it's easy when you're ahead in the fourth quarter to want to run the ball"

you are deflecting away from the topic, so as not to give any insight as to what you might plan to do in an upcomimg game.

No, you are not. 

You are giving an answer that numerous football statisticians have already come too. Counting runs up and trying to develop a correlation from it always ends in the same way. Leading in runs always correlates with a win because the team with a lead always tries to run the clock out.  

Bill Belichick is beyond forthcoming on general football strategy with the press. He is prolix about it even, and when he gets general football questions he is at his best in interviews.

The questions he deflects are stupid questions about injuries, or questions that try to bait him into blaming a player for a loss.  

In response to mthurl's comment:

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

Clearly, Bob Kraft should hire Mike Reiss to be the head coach of New England ...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

By Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

There is a common thread to some of the Patriots' most devastating losses in Bill Belichick's coaching tenure, most of which were of the season-ending variety: The offense was so focused on letting it fly in those games that it struggled to control the line of scrimmage.

There's a decisive way to ensure that doesn't happen Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC divisional round of the playoffs.

This is what the Patriots did in their final two games of the regular season, identity-shaping victories over the Ravens and Bills. The power-running commitment was there from the start, seldom wavered, and we saw the end result -- decisive control at the line of scrimmage, where games are most often won and lost.

The Patriots can do the same thing to the Colts, who ranked 26th during the regular season in rushing yards allowed (125.1) and 25th in average yards allowed per carry (4.5).

It's true that the banged-up Colts aren't that much better against the pass, but their most lethal weapon is pass-rusher Robert Mathis, whose 19½ sacks led the NFL. So if the choice is giving Mathis a chance to make a game-changing play with extended pass-rush opportunities, or handing the ball off and running right at him, the choice seems obvious.

And it's not as if the Patriots can't still pick their spots in the passing game, as a potent running attack can set up lethal play-action possibilities for Tom Brady.

The Patriots are at their best when the running game is the focal point.

Think about what a difference it would have made in some of the painful losses in recent franchise history.

This has only been my entire premise for the past 6 years(till last year where I think we tried to fix the problem) But I am sure that Mike Reiss's image will now be slanted by my detractors. Probably just selling out to conform to espn or he doesn't really have a grasp on the Patriots organization(somebody pleeease try and make that case) Breathe it in, now exhale it. This isn't an indictment on Bill Belichick like the 4 "other guys" always try to do. This isn't an indictment of Tom Brady like the 1 other guy tries to do. This is just what happens when you have the greatest QB in the history of the game. You tend to fall back on him too much.

Lol!  Mike Reis must be a loony run happy, BB questioning fool to point out the obvious!  

I swear these press guys read this regularly... Step forward Reis, what handle do you post under?  The pass happy fantasy crew owned by Reis... Classic.

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE ]

Then they ran it, decisively and with focus with Ridley against the Ravens and suffered the second most devastating playoff loss in Bill Belichick's tenure 28-13. 

[/QUO
    Where in your mind have you formed the conclusion that I think running always works? And im sorry my friend but as BB just told us and as you have so proudly and triumphantly reiterated,  it doesn't matter how many times we run the ball, so why would running less or a bit more in this case have any bearing on the outcome?  right zbellino?

And so the reiss bashing begins....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Where in your mind have you formed the conclusion that I think running always works? And im sorry my friend but as BB just told us and as you have so proudly and triumphantly reiterated,  it doesn't matter how many times we run the ball, so why would running less or a bit more in this case have any bearing on the outcome?  right zbellino?

There are a bunch of red faces out there in Internet land right now... But we're all wrong I guess?

Clearly, Bob Kraft should hire Mike Reiss to be the head coach of New England ...

And now the reiss bashing continues......

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I think reiss is the only essential source for pats news. But I don't think more of a commitment to the run changes Super Bowl 42. Maroney ran for 2.5 yards a carry 

Maybe in the jets playoff loss we should have seen more green-Ellis because Woodhead was ineffective.

[QUOTE ]

Last year mcdaniels comes back, and we were 7th in rushing, 2nd in attempts and 1st in rushing tds. 3 different yesrs, 3 different running back cores with different talent...same results. 

[/QUO
    Where in your mind have you formed the conclusion that I think running always works?

If we want to, we will . we've proven it.

What should a reader make of this ^ ?

If New England wants to run, they will. It sounds like you are saying ... it just happens. 

Second, I've never once see you blame anything other than not running the football for a loss. If you can produce a post that says otherwise, I'd love to see it.

I mean, the big change is an offense that runs a bit less? Nevermind, a defense that has forced 0 turnovers in its last losses and is allowing close to 30 points per game in the playoffs, special teams that haven't come through in any meaningful way, a passing game that has dropped crucial passes, as opposed to players like Branch and Brown and Givens who nabbed gutsy game ending catches, and offensive line that doesn't clear the way for runners at times, poor coaching decisions (going for it on 4th and 14?), running backs who have run like trash or whole games (Maroney, Woodhead) or coughed up decisive fumbles (Ridley) ... there are so many reasons ... yet every single week if New England wins it is a report from you about how the running game decided it, and if they lose it's a report about how McDaniels, Bill Belichick and everyone else "forgot" what they figured out the week before. 

Third, you routinely use ratios to express this that are culled from meaningless final totals that include two or three drives at the end of the game where New England was forced to throw, and ignore the fact that before that the pass-run total was quite even. H#ck, even at the beginning of this thread you are hammering on about 90 passes, x runs. As if that is statistically relevant in any way to the outcome??? Either way, rattling off an "unacceptable" ratio naturally implies that there is an acceptable ratio out there somewhere. 

So. 

You ask ... where people come to the conclusion that you think a.) the runs always works when you do it, b.) New England only loses when they forget to run, and c.) think there are ratios that need to be met?

You say things that make it seem like New England only fails to run when they forget to run.

You say things that only source the reason for all losses to a failure to run.

You say things that point to unacceptable p/r ratios, implying that there is an acceptable one.

How could anyone think any differently? If you have a list of other reasons why a fourth Lombardi has eluded New England, I'm all ears.

Frankly, I could thinks of a dozen things off the top of my head, running too little might not even be on the list. And yes, specific coaching decisions may be on the list.  

• Sections
    Shortcuts