Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it "honesty" is simply being pigheaded?  IMHO, most everyone here has acknowledged issues with the team over the years.  When someone posts a "defense" for that opinion, why does one have to counter it with "your not being honest."?  Look at what BB said and it pokes holes in many folks opinions about the need to "balance" the offense.  As BB notes, it is about game situations and what the other team is giving you.

Rusty, for example, claims he is speaking a truth no one wants to acknowledge.  Problem is, he is being VERY PIGHEADED about his opinions about Brady, the defense and all manners of posts contradicting his rhetoric do not change his mind.  So, is it honesty or just trying to scream louder than everyone else: "I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE ALL WRONG!"?

[/QUOTE]

I'd say the biggest detriment to my argument, as it were, is that Rusty agrees with it, even though he has a warped opinion of it.  For example a few posts back he states something to the effect "if Brady throws it 35-40 times and we lose don't blame me."

I don't care how many times Brady throws it, I only care that we continue to run it, if he heaves up 40 passes but we rush it 32-36 times and we win I couldn't care less.  

If Rusty wasn't such a shtstorm here, more people would be willing to climb onboard this very logical assumption but because he has built so many detractors and has adopted this theory we are fighting an uphill battle.

The reality is if the Patriots go out this year, Blount, Ridley and Vereen lead the post season in rushing and we win the Super Bowl the doubters here still won't admit what is patently obvious.  Running makes our offense and our QB better.

We didn't "take what the defense gave us" in the Weis years, we took what we wanted and dictated to the opponent what we were going to do.

Taking what the defense gives us is a very simple way of saying attack an enemy's weakness, but it is as open to interpretation as "balance is a good thing."  You'll take from it what you want to.  History has shown that a power run game is the difference between championships and playoff losses for our team and every other team that employs our offensive system.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey what's BB doing in this picture

or this one

you ever see him down on 1 knee coaching the offense while Patricia calls plays for the defense? 

Me neither.

[/QUOTE]

Using the Rusty defense of your view I see. That's ALWAYS a bad bad bad idea.

So, BB fiddles away with the D while McD (and previously OB) and Brady burn down the offense?

It just doesn't seem like a guy could be doing that and still be considered the best head coach in the game.

So, what is your verdict?

Is BB a poor HC because he ignores the offense while McD and Brady destroy it, or is he a poor HC because he condones the sacrilege of not running enough to reach the magic formula number that guarantees a 19-0 season every year?

[/QUOTE]

BB, like any coach, can't be 100% responsible for every single coach's or player's responsibilities all the time as a human being.

[/QUOTE]

Just stop. Nobody with a brain is going to buy that BB can't find the time in at least the last three years you have been haranguing this subject to tell his OC and Brady that he demands the run or QB under center be focused on more.

Nobody without your agenda is going to believe something so idiotic.

You are just being the liar you are and want to be able to complain about the coaching, but leave BB untouched. That's impossible while still being honest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mike Reiss is clearly more of an expert than Bill Belichick.  

[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

[/QUOTE]

Funny how Reiss is cherry picked by the warped agenda crowd. They hardly made a peep about his brilliance when he called BB a mediocre drafter. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, though, so that makes no sense.  Reiss has never once been critical of Brady.  

[/QUOTE]

The fact is, Reiss seldom criticizes anything, especially BB. And that is what makes his pronouncement that BB is a mediocre drafter rather startling.

[/QUOTE]

Not true. As the years have gone on, he's been corrupted by ESPN.  It's unfortunate, but it's somewhat true.  He has never written a piece or even mentioned Brady's subpar postseasons of late.  When the Pats lose due to the offense not doing anything for entire halves, he makes excuses like Gronk being out, etc.

But, if Andre Carter goes down for example, Talib or Jones like last year, he ignores it and then basically does what all Brady Apologists/BBWs do, and that's just gloss over WHY these losses keep occuring in the same fashion....Brady gets the deer in the headlights look in that shotgun, yet keeps going back to it.  

Put me on a live broadcast with Reiss and I will outdebate him to the moon and back. He only started watching football in 1991. ANd, a lot of the stuff he states in his pieces are really coming from other people. He's professional, does a nice job, is usually fair, but he's NEVER criticized Brady in print.

I also don't recall him saying BB is an average drafter either.  That has also been challenged numerous times by many people who want to hear who the 10-15 better drafters are in this league. How on earth can BB in the 14-17 range as a drafter?

Reiss has never made a list showing who is superior, nor have you, after being asked repeatedly.

After 4 straight nice draft yields for BB, 4 in a row, that also makes you look like a moron.

Cincy was the only team in the AFC I'd put with NE and look what just happened to them.

We have the best GM and Coach in the NFL and have for years. Plain and simple.

[/QUOTE]

What do we have exactly if we have Andy Dalton as our starting QB......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

[/QUOTE]

Funny how Reiss is cherry picked by the warped agenda crowd. They hardly made a peep about his brilliance when he called BB a mediocre drafter. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

He also said recently (in one of his chats) that, while BB has adjusted his offense to compete in today's NFL, he wondered if he hasn't done enough to have his D adjust to the offenses.

Truth!

[/QUOTE]

Source it please.  You cannot be trusted as a known pathological liar here.

[/QUOTE]

^ Says the worst liar on the board (actually tied with the Colts troll.).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And BB has said just that when he stated that he wants balance if the running is good (You provided that link some time back.). Running simply for the sake of running is relegated to the keep them honest category if it is not being effective and you have the GOAT as your QB.

Any coach worth his salt is going to lose with the best he has if lose he must, rather than betting on a win with a strategy that isn't working especially well. 

[/QUOTE]

He also said (paraphrasing) that "we didn't run it well, we didn't pass it well either" in that same article.

[/QUOTE]

Different article than the one you linked I think wozzy. That one was after we ran like crazy against the Raiders.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also said recently (in one of his chats) that, while BB has adjusted his offense to compete in today's NFL, he wondered if he hasn't done enough to have his D adjust to the offenses.

Truth!

[/QUOTE]

Source it please.  You cannot be trusted as a known pathological liar here.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nah, He's got the Colts troll beat by miles.

His ability to lie, in an instance, is only surpassed by his ability to breathe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, though, so that makes no sense.  Reiss has never once been critical of Brady.  

[/QUOTE]

The fact is, Reiss seldom criticizes anything, especially BB. And that is what makes his pronouncement that BB is a mediocre drafter rather startling.

[/QUOTE]

Not true. As the years have gone on, he's been corrupted by ESPN.  It's unfortunate, but it's somewhat true.  He has never written a piece or even mentioned Brady's subpar postseasons of late.  When the Pats lose due to the offense not doing anything for entire halves, he makes excuses like Gronk being out, etc.

But, if Andre Carter goes down for example, Talib or Jones like last year, he ignores it and then basically does what all Brady Apologists/BBWs do, and that's just gloss over WHY these losses keep occuring in the same fashion....Brady gets the deer in the headlights look in that shotgun, yet keeps going back to it.  

Put me on a live broadcast with Reiss and I will outdebate him to the moon and back. He only started watching football in 1991. ANd, a lot of the stuff he states in his pieces are really coming from other people. He's professional, does a nice job, is usually fair, but he's NEVER criticized Brady in print.

I also don't recall him saying BB is an average drafter either.  That has also been challenged numerous times by many people who want to hear who the 10-15 better drafters are in this league. How on earth can BB in the 14-17 range as a drafter?

Reiss has never made a list showing who is superior, nor have you, after being asked repeatedly.

After 4 straight nice draft yields for BB, 4 in a row, that also makes you look like a moron.

Cincy was the only team in the AFC I'd put with NE and look what just happened to them.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

8-8 if we're lucky.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

That's a good post wozzy. The only problem is; I don't question how BB is coaching the team. And I don't think he is "too busy" to tell Brady and McD that the run game needs to be relied on more if need be.

If BB wants to pass 35 times a game and run 27 times (the league average) you won't hear a word of protest from me (and you never have).

The fact is that this year the league ratio was a 1.29/1 pass/run ratio. Ours was a 1.33/1 ratio.

I think in BB's mind, that is "balanced".

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, McDaniels has brought a bit of sanity back with him last year when he started running again, and so far it has worked in the regular season.  

But I would add that in recent playoff losses we haven't been close to that run/pass ratio and in fact, the few runs we had were finesse runs with Faulk or Woodhead our third down back carrying the water.

So not only have we gone away from our power run game in the playoffs, but we've replaced what little runs we've had with a scatback.  

I don't care if it was Bill O'Brien or BB himself that decided on this course of action, unless there was some extenuating circumstance which we didn't know about (injury to LawFirm/Ridley) and there very well may have been, than it was a mistake plain and simple.

BB is not a god, but I believe him when he said in a recent interview that he has had to coach up his coaches more than in year's past.  He won't point fingers, blame his coaches or make excuses, he's too good for that, but I will interpret what he said as the truth because I manage people for a living and you have to let them work, you can't micromanage every situation, especially when you're playing a game on a clock.  

It's not as simple as "you think BB is wrong and you are right."

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe BB learned his lesson from Seattle game last year. 9:30 left in game with 13 point lead and lose. We threw 6 incomplete passes, which stops the clock, 3 TO's for Seattle, plus 2:00 warning. We gave Seattle 10 TO's. One drive by the Pats took 14 seconds.

He wont make that mistake again.

[/QUOTE]

That's not BB. That's McDaniels. 

[/QUOTE]

Who made McD his OC?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about stats.  Dalton had a good year, by the way.  

I am talking about draft pick for draft pick talent.  Cincy has been doing well, as have we, if not better. I can't think of one team in the AFC who has been better since the lockout.

Name the 10-15 GMs who are better drafters and better overall, please.

YOu have been given numerous chances to do this and refuse to, which proves you are full of crap. See, I am very good at spotting phonies.  You're one. RKrap is one. Bustchise is one. Pezzy, Mt Hurl, TripleOG are others.

All full of crap in their own way, just like you.

You've been asked numerous times to simply make a list of names to support your contention, but you run away like a little girl who stained herself.

That's what you are, Diapers. List the sames with reasons or admit defeat on the topic.

[/QUOTE]

Wow.....you got some serious mental health issues kid....

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The biggest no brainer in the history of the NFL...Tom Brady is the best that's ever played the position.

And the lengths that some go to to discredit him because it's more importent that their belief that it's all BB is truly sickening....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And BB has said just that when he stated that he wants balance if the running is good (You provided that link some time back.). Running simply for the sake of running is relegated to the keep them honest category if it is not being effective and you have the GOAT as your QB.

Any coach worth his salt is going to lose with the best he has if lose he must, rather than betting on a win with a strategy that isn't working especially well. 

[/QUOTE]

We've basically always had a good running game, except maybe in the early rebuilding years.  The offensive coordinator decided not to use it at times in the past four years but we always had a decent runner back there.  

The combination of LawFirm and Ridley was as good or better than old man Antwoine Smith in his final year of 2003, BB had to keep him on the bench for half the season to keep him healthy and he average 3.5 yards a carry in the regular season.  

They still dusted him off for the playoffs and fed him the rock again and again, even when it was tough going.  Thats how we beat the Peyton Manning Colts when they were actually dangerous.

[/QUOTE]

why did neither of them get any touches in the playoffs?  A.Smith, well you can say what you want, but he has done it. Been a lead back through a playoff run, being productive and NOT fumbling. Benny, didnt fumble but was innefective. Ridley, effective but fumbles. If we keep losing year after year because we dont run enough, arent you saying BB is a Chump!?  I mean one year is one thing but all these years and he still allows Brady and Joshy to go all rogue and ruin his legacy and not win a title in 10 years??  Wow, its time to stop talking about BB like he is a god. He is just a chump, pushover who has lost his way, no?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That's a good post wozzy. The only problem is; I don't question how BB is coaching the team. And I don't think he is "too busy" to tell Brady and McD that the run game needs to be relied on more if need be.

If BB wants to pass 35 times a game and run 27 times (the league average) you won't hear a word of protest from me (and you never have).

The fact is that this year the league ratio was a 1.29/1 pass/run ratio. Ours was a 1.33/1 ratio.

I think in BB's mind, that is "balanced".

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree, McDaniels has brought a bit of sanity back with him last year when he started running again, and so far it has worked in the regular season.  

But I would add that in recent playoff losses we haven't been close to that run/pass ratio and in fact, the few runs we had were finesse runs with Faulk or Woodhead our third down back carrying the water.

So not only have we gone away from our power run game in the playoffs, but we've replaced what little runs we've had with a scatback.  

I don't care if it was Bill O'Brien or BB himself that decided on this course of action, unless there was some extenuating circumstance which we didn't know about (injury to LawFirm/Ridley) and there very well may have been, than it was a mistake plain and simple.

BB is not a god, but I believe him when he said in a recent interview that he has had to coach up his coaches more than in year's past.  He won't point fingers, blame his coaches or make excuses, he's too good for that, but I will interpret what he said as the truth because I manage people for a living and you have to let them work, you can't micromanage every situation, especially when you're playing a game on a clock.  

It's not as simple as "you think BB is wrong and you are right."

[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty honest post wozzy. I have little to argue about with it.

I just trust in BB when it comes to running the team on the field. Do you think there is somebody out there that could do it better?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

I general we agree. It's not my fault the BBWs are jealous of my research and premise being so tried and true.

It's highly unlikely for Brady to pass 40 times and to run close to that many times, dude, so that makes very little sense.

What's odd with you, as an adult, is you actually think if you show we agree, it will make you look bad because of about 20 unhealthy BBWS who own Brady dolls.

Trust me when I tell you the talk off these boards by intelligent fans isn't a worry about the defense that plays hard, is tough, has tons of charaecter and an identity. Trust me.

When I talk to family and friends about these topics they've all seen the light by now.  I was talking about this years and years ago and they weren't ready to see it yet, but after these last 2 seasons, they now do.

Some feel it's a bit about Brady's ego and competitiveness trying to right some wrongs, which is what I believe, while others are like you in that they don't want to admit that/don't think that is the reason.

Where the concern lies, as you and I agree with, is the OFFENSE and its ideology.

You, TC, BobbySu/World of Troy Brown, etc...we agree. Don't bother trying to put me on some island somewhere.

I've offered wagers to prove my premises here and I am undefeated with those, so clearly I have a good hande on my analysis and am confident in it.

[/QUOTE]

You think Brady has been the "problem."  

Brady is part of why we are great, not a problem.  Football is a team sport.  The problem has been the lack of or refusal to use the run game, especially in the playoffs.  It is the only difference since the glory years of 2001-2004 to now.  The only thing I attribute this to is coaching and on a much smaller scale personnel, which also goes back to positional coaches who I'm certain have some say in personnel matters.  

We don't agree, you have your theories, I have mine.  Brady has never been a problem.  Loss of quality coaches and the learning curve for new one has been.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nah, He's got the Colts troll beat by miles.

His ability to lie, in an instance, is only surpassed by his ability to breathe.

[/QUOTE]

The saddest part is, I don't think he even realizes he is a pathological lair, he has been doing it so long.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Rusty...sometimes you post so much you actually lose track of who you are responding to.

My positions here have been consistent from day one.

Football is all about match ups

The BB, Weiss and Crennel match up worked, it's why some marriages last 50 years and some can't make 50 months.

BB and TB are joined at the hip. That duo has worked period. Yes BB is a great coach but you simply must except that Brady is the best of all time.

Over the last ten years we have become too one dimentionable. It made us vulnerable to a good match up....rope a dope if you will.

If we had maintained a respectable running game TB and BB would be sitting around the locker room with a SB ring on 5 fingers, maybe 6.

If I have said anything different let me know...

Did your Mom wake you too early this morning.....

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts