Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Belichick on running the ball (from today's conference call)

you ever see him down on 1 knee coaching the offense while Patricia calls plays for the defense? 

Me neither.

Good morning TC.  Sleep well?

Well I have to say that, that is one of the most ridiculous points ever made.  You are really grasping.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, BB feels the sucky D, NEEDS a lot of his attention while the O pretty much has things under control, according to plan?

Or maybe, he just neglects the O because he really doesn't know anything about it?

Maybe, Mike Reis is really coaching up the O?  Or is it you?

Good God

Here's a clue or a fact (jeeze, I know how you hate that word), BB will put his attention where needed.  That' kind of his job.

" DO your job", just doesn't apply to the players.

Thanks for the laugh, though.  Everyone should start their day that way.Laughing

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

^ This is about as true as true ever gets around here.

If I were saying BB was the best GM of all-time, but then still saying everything negative that I actually say about his specific decisions on drafting, FAs and the like, I would be doing exactly what these guys do regarding BB's coaching.

Expecting honesty on this is hopeless.

Let's face it, if BB himself came in and slapped some of these characters silly screaming all the while, "WE RUN MORE WHEN IT'S BEING EFFECTIVE, GOT IT?", they would all be here the next day posting the same nonsense.

The only "truth" Babe is that the run is irrelevant people take exactly what they want from Belichick's statement in the original post and warp it to fit their agenda, saying what they wish he meant instead of what he actually said, changing what us "run heavy" group supposedly think to make it seem like he is refuting something we NEVER said in the first place.  He couldn't be any clearer, staying balanced keeps the opponent guessing, it's a good thing.

What this crew keeps falling back on is that we think there is some magic number of rushes that wins games, which is BS, we don't.  We only ask that the run game be persistent and consistent regardless of success, history has shown that this leads to wins 9 times out of 10.  

Have there been anomalies, sure, there were three playoff wins in the past 14 years where the opponent rushed more than us and we still won, and all had extenuating circumstances; a blowout against the Steelers (2004) where we still rushed the ball 32 times, a 3 point nail biter against the Chargers (2006) they turned it over 4 times to keep us alive and when Tebow sucked and had to run because he couldn't pass (2011).

Three games out of twenty-four where we actually passed more than ran, and actually won a playoff game.  

As opposed to fourteen games where we ran more and won, which included 3 Super Bowl titles.  The rest were losses where we ran less than our opponent... EVERY TIME!

But hey, maybe you guys are right, and running more plays no part in it, maybe the overwhelming statistical data, the landslide of wins vs losses are just coincidence...?  Only if you have a narrative you've stuck to for years now and refuse to accept reality because of bull headedness.  

Yeah I know the favorite "pass happy" non sequitur argument is coming; "but you're refuting what Bill Belichick himself said" or "Belichick must be wrong and you are right." 

We wouldn't be refuting what Belichick had to say if you didn't continue to put words in our mouth we didn't say.  Or continue to interpret what Belichick "meant" instead of what he actually said.  

The only reality gap that can't be crossed is the one where you guys realize that offensive coaches aren't all built the same, that by criticizing the style of offense or even Bill O'Brien is not the same thing as saying ridiculous blanket statements being thrown around here like "BB forgot how to coach offense."  

If anyone is being unrealistic about Belichick being omniscient it is you guys, you seem to think he can coach all three phases of a game simultaneously.  It's a laugh riot that now two reporters in the last 24 hours have come out with an article in support of our "pet theory" as Z calls it and we're all wrong but you three or four posters are right.  

Truth isn't always easy to digest, especially when you're wrong.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Hey what's BB doing in this picture

or this one

you ever see him down on 1 knee coaching the offense while Patricia calls plays for the defense? 

Me neither.

Using the Rusty defense of your view I see. That's ALWAYS a bad bad bad idea.

So, BB fiddles away with the D while McD (and previously OB) and Brady burn down the offense?

It just doesn't seem like a guy could be doing that and still be considered the best head coach in the game.

So, what is your verdict?

Is BB a poor HC because he ignores the offense while McD and Brady destroy it, or is he a poor HC because he condones the sacrilege of not running enough to reach the magic formula number that guarantees a 19-0 season every year?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Mike Reiss is clearly more of an expert than Bill Belichick.  

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

Funny how Reiss is cherry picked by the warped agenda crowd. They hardly made a peep about his brilliance when he called BB a mediocre drafter. LMAO

He also said recently (in one of his chats) that, while BB has adjusted his offense to compete in today's NFL, he wondered if he hasn't done enough to have his D adjust to the offenses.

Truth!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Maybe BB learned his lesson from Seattle game last year. 9:30 left in game with 13 point lead and lose. We threw 6 incomplete passes, which stops the clock, 3 TO's for Seattle, plus 2:00 warning. We gave Seattle 10 TO's. One drive by the Pats took 14 seconds. Not counting 2nd Intentional Grounding Penalty, after a 9 yard run by Woodhead. Why on earth are we passing 2nd and 1.

He wont make that mistake again.

Great example.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I would also add that anyone who knows football, that knows Tom Brady is one of if not the best play action QB's of all time, that the run game makes the pass game better.  

Or maybe you've heard it phrased another way in that old maxim; a good running game is a QB's best friend.

And BB has said just that when he stated that he wants balance if the running is good (You provided that link some time back.). Running simply for the sake of running is relegated to the keep them honest category if it is not being effective and you have the GOAT as your QB.

Any coach worth his salt is going to lose with the best he has if lose he must, rather than betting on a win with a strategy that isn't working especially well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

n response to wozzy's comment:

"Yeah but" isn't a rebuttal, even if there is a "but" is involved.

Mike Reiss is right, Belichick is right when he says balance is a good thing to keep an opponent off balance, history proves this, you guys are wrong; period.

Brady said. "We've got to be able to figure out how to slow him down and then we've got to be really balanced on offense like we've been. We've got to run it, and when we throw, we've got to throw it good." 

Funny how when BB or Brady say something it's gospel when it fits the agenda, but deception or boiler plate when it doesn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

And BB has said just that when he stated that he wants balance if the running is good (You provided that link some time back.). Running simply for the sake of running is relegated to the keep them honest category if it is not being effective and you have the GOAT as your QB.

Any coach worth his salt is going to lose with the best he has if lose he must, rather than betting on a win with a strategy that isn't working especially well. 

He also said (paraphrasing) that "we didn't run it well, we didn't pass it well either" in that same article.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Let's face it, if BB himself came in and slapped some of these characters silly screaming all the while, "WE RUN MORE WHEN IT'S BEING EFFECTIVE, GOT IT?", they would all be here the next day posting the same nonsense.

Is it "honesty" is simply being pigheaded?  IMHO, most everyone here has acknowledged issues with the team over the years.  When someone posts a "defense" for that opinion, why does one have to counter it with "your not being honest."?  Look at what BB said and it pokes holes in many folks opinions about the need to "balance" the offense.  As BB notes, it is about game situations and what the other team is giving you.

Rusty, for example, claims he is speaking a truth no one wants to acknowledge.  Problem is, he is being VERY PIGHEADED about his opinions about Brady, the defense and all manners of posts contradicting his rhetoric do not change his mind.  So, is it honesty or just trying to scream louder than everyone else: "I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE ALL WRONG!"?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:

In response to ccnsd's comment:

In response to csylvia79's comment:

^ chances the run group reads this? Funny thing most of us love when the team runs the ball.  It just all this dogma. The coaches aren't perfect and its fine to call out some the possible mistakes. But to think BB doesn't realize when and how to run the ball is moronic. 

Just say it BB has been a subpar coach and be done with it.

They can't say it. They worship him. They have to somehow fit their worship of Belichick with their hatred of the game plans. They can't accept these contradictions so they blame it on the assistant coaches or Brady. It's as if Belichick is responsible for every game plan that wins but Brady and the OC were in charge of the losses. It's the only thing that fits their theories so they have to stick with it or they would have to admit something they don't want to. Their hero does not believe in what they believe in. In fact he seems to believe in the opposite.

I think the Pats are now a run first team because that's where there offensive strengths seem to lie without Gronk. I will be happy as heck if the Pats run it 50 times on sunday and pass it 10 times as long as they win. If they lose with that ratio I'll criticize him for losing to an inferior team, not because my game plan was better. He's watching the film, not me. He's won the super bowls not me. He will do what he thinks is best no matter what I or anyone else says. If any coach in the history of the NFL cares less about outside opinion it's him. Maybe he sees some weakness in the Colts whereby Vereen get's more playing time than Blount. That's for him to decide. I disagree with many of his decisiones but there is no coach I would rather see on the Pats sideline. Unlike some coaches he thinks out of the box and wins. He wins a lot and thats all I care about.

totally agree with everything you stated!

+1

Count me in as one of the sane guys.

its been painful reading this thread while all the BB bashers try to blame others for what BB is in charge of. We have to hear every day how great BB is and how noone is even close but they cant admit 2 things. Our recent defenses have kept us from winning and BB loves to WIN and lately with out a D, weve needed to throw to WIN

BB wins more than he loses so he is doing something right. He DEF. is NOT hiding behind his coordinators. He has stated MANY of times!  PUT IT ON ME! I MAke the Decisions. I RUN THE SHOW.   why dont we fire BB and make Joshy the H.C. and Brady the O.C.??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We've basically always had a good running game, except maybe in the early rebuilding years.  The offensive coordinator decided not to use it at times in the past four years but we always had a decent runner back there.  

The combination of LawFirm and Ridley was as good or better than old man Antwoine Smith in his final year of 2003, BB had to keep him on the bench for half the season to keep him healthy and he average 3.5 yards a carry in the regular season.  

They still dusted him off for the playoffs and fed him the rock again and again, even when it was tough going.  Thats how we beat the Peyton Manning Colts when they were actually dangerous.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Triple OG...   too many OC/DC/HC/GM wannabes on this forum.  They all think they know better AFTER the game is over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

^ This is about as true as true ever gets around here.

If I were saying BB was the best GM of all-time, but then still saying everything negative that I actually say about his specific decisions on drafting, FAs and the like, I would be doing exactly what these guys do regarding BB's coaching.

The only "truth" Babe is that the run is irrelevant people take exactly what they want from Belichick's statement in the original post and warp it to fit their agenda, saying what they wish he meant instead of what he actually said, changing what us "run heavy" group supposedly think to make it seem like he is refuting something we NEVER said in the first place.  He couldn't be any clearer, staying balanced keeps the opponent guessing, it's a good thing.

What this crew keeps falling back on is that we think there is some magic number of rushes that wins games, which is BS, we don't.  We only ask that the run game be persistent and consistent regardless of success, history has shown that this leads to wins 9 times out of 10.  

Have there been anomalies, sure, there were three playoff wins in the past 14 years where the opponent rushed more than us and we still won, and all had extenuating circumstances; a blowout against the Steelers (2004) where we still rushed the ball 32 times, a 3 point nail biter against the Chargers (2006) they turned it over 4 times to keep us alive and when Tebow sucked and had to run because he couldn't pass (2011).

Three games out of twenty-four where we actually passed more than ran, and actually won a playoff game.  

As opposed to fourteen games where we ran more and won, which included 3 Super Bowl titles.  The rest were losses where we ran less than our opponent... EVERY TIME!

But hey, maybe you guys are right, and running more plays no part in it, maybe the overwhelming statistical data, the landslide of wins vs losses are just coincidence...?  Only if you have a narrative you've stuck to for years now and refuse to accept reality because of bull headedness.  

Yeah I know the favorite "pass happy" non sequitur argument is coming; "but you're refuting what Bill Belichick himself said" or "Belichick must be wrong and you are right." 

We wouldn't be refuting what Belichick had to say if you didn't continue to put words in our mouth we didn't say.  Or continue to interpret what Belichick "meant" instead of what he actually said.  

The only reality gap that can't be crossed is the one where you guys realize that offensive coaches aren't all built the same, that by criticizing the style of offense or even Bill O'Brien is not the same thing as saying ridiculous blanket statements being thrown around here like "BB forgot how to coach offense."  

If anyone is being unrealistic about Belichick being omniscient it is you guys, you seem to think he can coach all three phases of a game simultaneously.  It's a laugh riot that now two reporters in the last 24 hours have come out with an article in support of our "pet theory" as Z calls it and we're all wrong but you three or four posters are right.  

That's a good post wozzy. The only problem is; I don't question how BB is coaching the team. And I don't think he is "too busy" to tell Brady and McD that the run game needs to be relied on more if need be.

If BB wants to pass 35 times a game and run 27 times (the league average) you won't hear a word of protest from me (and you never have).

The fact is that this year the league ratio was a 1.29/1 pass/run ratio. Ours was a 1.33/1 ratio.

I think in BB's mind, that is "balanced".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

I was just thinking the same thing, after all everything he says is lauded around here as gospel. 

Once again...running=good. Not being able to run and yet still trying to=you are going to lose.

I'm going to trust that Belichick knows what he is doing more so than Mickey Mouse Reiss (I still don't think he's tall enough to get on Space Mountain). You can't tell me this guy never got his tongue stuck on a flag poll. You can't.

Funny how Reiss is cherry picked by the warped agenda crowd. They hardly made a peep about his brilliance when he called BB a mediocre drafter. LMAO

He also said recently (in one of his chats) that, while BB has adjusted his offense to compete in today's NFL, he wondered if he hasn't done enough to have his D adjust to the offenses.

Truth!

Source it please.  You cannot be trusted as a known pathological liar here.

Listen crusto, you are the only known liar here, it's proven daily. 

I said it was in one of his chats.  I read it.

I'm not going to bother to search for it as that could take a lifetime and I have better things to do. (unlike you)

I don't care if you believe it or not.  I didn't just make that up.

It happened and I believe he was spot on, in his thoughts.

Bb's still running his defense like it's 1999.  LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Reiss is a Brady Apologist, though, so that makes no sense.  Reiss has never once been critical of Brady.  

The fact is, Reiss seldom criticizes anything, especially BB. And that is what makes his pronouncement that BB is a mediocre drafter rather startling.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Triple OG...   too many OC/DC/HC/GM wannabes on this forum.  They all think they know better AFTER the game is over.

Isn't that the whole point of the forum?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Exactly correct, especially when someone is older or feels like they can't change their mind because it's been too long thinking the complete opposite of something, when wrong the whole time.

I'm not changing my mind. I think BB is the best coach in the game. I never complain about how much passing he allows, how much running he allows, what formations he allows, what defenses he runs or for that matter anything he decides as a coach.

Unlike you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Truth!

Reiss does seem to be a bit more analytical sine he left the Globe and joined ESPN.

Sections
Shortcuts