Belichick sees second round as being another first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/11/belichick-sees-second-round-as-being-another-first-round/

B_Belichick_1.jpgThe 2010 draft begins in only 11 days.  For the first time, it invades prime time, with round one on Thursday night, rounds two and three on Friday, and the rest on Saturday.

We've been hearing for weeks that the second day will entail plenty of possible wheeling and dealing, with the Rams (who hold the top selection in round two) dangling the pick to the highest bidder and other teams at the top of the second stanza working out contingent deals with those who'd like to jump up and snag rookies who squirted through round one.

Pats coach Bill Belichick agrees.

"I kind of think the second round will now be like the first round," Belichick tells Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.  "Take those [top] 32 players out of there, whoever they are, now you're starting all over again for that second round.  And I can see it being approached more as that first round.

"In the past, you kind of rolled into that round.  Now, to actually stop and have the whole night to sit there and think about it and talk to other teams and develop a new strategy.  Everybody does that on the second day; now we have three days.  It's a different dynamic."

As a practical matter, it means that the top of round four also could entail some drama, since it's the round to launch the Saturday action.  The extent to which the possibility of trades could generate interest remains to be seen; though we expect a huge increase in the ratings for Thursday night and a strong showing on Friday, the Saturday 4-5-6-7 phase could end up being an event that even the most die-hard NFL fans will avoid, especially if the sun is out, the grill is hot, and the pool is luke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Re: Belichick sees second round as being another first round

Kind of deceptive.  Having time to think about round two does not change the players available.  How can the second round be like the first round if it's missing 32 top players??  Yes, there might be more moves.... but the header sounds as if the second is as good as the first. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

he means the way teams approach it, not the level of talent. we know this is a deep draft but obviously thats not what he was referring to. florio like catchy headlines more than actual substance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick sees second round as being another first round:
    Kind of deceptive.  Having time to think about round two does not change the players available.  How can the second round be like the first round if it's missing 32 top players??  Yes, there might be more moves.... but the header sounds as if the second is as good as the first. 
    Posted by jcappy

Actually, having time to mull over who's gone, what trades were made, and who's left on your draft board will greatly effect the players available. Instead of people "falling" so much there's going to be a lot more moves in the 2nd round to get key players that teams had the night to look deeper into. Knowing which positions other teams opted to fill with their 1st round pick, and seeing what other positions they need to fill will be huge.

To be honest we'll never really know the effect it has since we can't see how the draft would end up if we rolled into the 2nd round, but I really hope it puts NE in a good spot with so many picks to work with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

This is old. I heard Bill say all this during his meeting with members of the media at the owners meetings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

PROOF THAT THE PATS ARE STILL KINGS OF THE DRAFT http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100411/SPORTS/4110360

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I challenged everyone on this board a couple weeks ago who believe this is one of the deepest drafts in years. My take , 99% of you really have no idea what your talking about , I swear you guys get all your info. from TV/radio and couldnt come up w/ an original thought to save your azz. Ive been hearing that this is the deepest draft in recent memory and Im calling BS. A couple weeks couple I called BS on it and have yet to hear someone actually explain why its so deep. Sorry dont mean to be a richard , but its true , most of you reallu dont have a clue and bite on other people ideas/thoughts and carry them as your own. Listen Im not saying one cant have that opinion , let me make that clear. Im saying most of you dont know what your talking about and like sheep repeat what you hear. If you can back up your opinion w/ some facts then all power to ya , but Ive yet to be taking up on my offer. This DRAFT ISNT NEARLY AS DEEP as you think! Matter of fact Im going to start a thread right now. 10:45 pm , Sunday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

#44, #47 and #53 are still pretty neat choices.  Teams will have carefully planned everything out overnight for picks #33 through #36.  By #44 other war rooms will be a bit tired and the old itching and panic feelings will have settled in again for various decision-makers.  Want a second for next year's first rounder?  How about a mid-range second for your early third and fourth round picks?  That one perfect guy you want is just hanging there!  Last chance, buy now, in two minutes it will all be too late!  Pick the right guy now, win more games this year and save your own career, coach!  What'll it be, bucko?  Yes or no?   YES  OR   NO???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Wow, that is something to think about.  That pause will have a huge impact going into the second day and I bet that #44 ends up being traded for a 1st rounder next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick sees second round as being another first round:
    PROOF THAT THE PATS ARE STILL KINGS OF THE DRAFT http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100411/SPORTS/4110360
    Posted by 81pats12

awesome  article, thanks for sharing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

The Pats only become kings of the draft is if they select the right players...if they end up with a bunch of busts who cares how many pics they have in the first two rounds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Not only is the second going to be treated like the first (alot of moves) the tallent level of the players available in the second round is equal too the first round of most drafts this year. As has been stated many times this draft is at the very least 50 players deep with 1st round graded tallent. Some have it as high as 60 or so.  So lets just say 50 for argument sake. Players with a first round grade are equally likely to be great players as they are to be busts. Most drafts have 25 or so. So the second round this year is actually like a first round most years which means teams will approach this year like there are two first rounds... makes sense to me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

this whole draft is a 1st round, and only 10days away :D i wish BB or the GM would come on this forum and give us a sneek peak on what they are trying to do, hen we could make more accurate posts and even give some ideas to the personel

Sections
Shortcuts