Belichick Shouldn't Play "Lady or the Tiger"...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Belichick Shouldn't Play

In response to rameakap's comment:

Hahahahaha

All I did was say Floyd was mocked in the top 10 in pretty much every draft so it was foolish of you to think he would slip to 29. Of course I know internet mocks are not NFL big boards by the teams themselves, just was trying to keep it realsistic. You were one of those guys thinking Watt was going to fall to us back in '11.

I can safely say I've called it closer than you have over the years when it came to player analysis related to draft discussions.

All you did was attack me on my draft thread endlessly because I said Floyd was overrated and had a third round grade, you said he wouldn't fall out of the teens and I was a meatball for thinking he should, you also insisted that I was pretending to be some wannabe expert, attention hound when in my original post I always state that it's all in fun and I don't take myself too seriously... well I was right and you were wrong.

I think the difference between us is I can readily admit that I'm wrong.  And no I never said JJ Watt would fall back to the Patriots but I was certainly wrong about how he would fare as a 3/4 defensive end, but you only know that because I constantly bring him up as an example of my humility regarding the draft process on my annual draft thread.

You haven't called sht, you hang around the edges of draft threads without committing to any picks yourself and all of your picks are Kiper/McShay's top ten picks... great work. This year commit to ink 20 players that the Patriots should pick because they're the best of the best, also take players in every round, choose players that aren't ranked in the top 3 because after all you don't have six number one picks now do you, and maybe find us some undrafted free agent gems along the way... unlikely, instead you'll just criticize those of us that hang it all out there for everyone to see, the same way you attack the best GM in the game... as if you could do better.  

Laughable

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Actually, Matthews has turned out to be a very good run defender.  If BB passed on Matthews because he thought he was a poor run defender, BB blew it.  He may have had other reasons for passing on Matthews, but I hope poor run defense wasn't one because if that was the reason Belichick did make a big mistake.

What? Matthews sucks vs the run. Well known now for years. I am not talking about blasting in the backfield for a tackle. I am talking about setting the edge. He's way too small for that.

Oh my god.  He's the same player he was after being drafted:  A feast or famine penetrator who is really good at what he does. 

Learn the game, Prolate.  Any team that has a solid or good offense with a clue runs all over him to the strong side. It's been a big reason why their D has been weak in recent years.

Rusty, you haven't been following closely enough.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/92568/matthews-absence-hurts-run-defense-too

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1251623.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Hahahahaha

All I did was say Floyd was mocked in the top 10 in pretty much every draft so it was foolish of you to think he would slip to 29. Of course I know internet mocks are not NFL big boards by the teams themselves, just was trying to keep it realsistic. You were one of those guys thinking Watt was going to fall to us back in '11.

I can safely say I've called it closer than you have over the years when it came to player analysis related to draft discussions.

All you did was attack me on my draft thread endlessly because I said Floyd was overrated and had a third round grade, you said he wouldn't fall out of the teens and I was a meatball for thinking he should, you also insisted that I was pretending to be some wannabe expert, attention hound when in my original post I always state that it's all in fun and I don't take myself too seriously... well I was right and you were wrong.

RESPONSE: Big deal. Why are you trumpeting this? Rusty is always wrong. That's what's so right about him...LOL!!!

I think the difference between us is I can readily admit that I'm wrong.  And no I never said JJ Watt would fall back to the Patriots but I was certainly wrong about how he would fare as a 3/4 defensive end, but you only know that because I constantly bring him up as an example of my humility regarding the draft process on my annual draft thread.

RESPONSE: You can readily admit to being wrong? Than why, like Rusty, do you continue to defend BB the GM?

You haven't called sht, you hang around the edges of draft threads without committing to any picks yourself and all of your picks are Kiper/McShay's top ten picks... great work. This year commit to ink 20 players that the Patriots should pick because they're the best of the best, also take players in every round, choose players that aren't ranked in the top 3 because after all you don't have six number one picks now do you, and maybe find us some undrafted free agent gems along the way... unlikely, instead you'll just criticize those of us that hang it all out there for everyone to see, the same way you attack the best GM in the game... as if you could do better.  

Laughable

RESPONSE: BB is the best GM in the game?? Yes...that is laughable!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

RESPONSE: You can readily admit to being wrong? Than why, like Rusty, do you continue to defend BB the GM?

Find me a GM with a better winning % than Belichick over the last decade, otherwise blow it out your azz.  

This ^ is your opinion which is worthless, almost the entire world of sports media, professional scouts, former players turned analysts agree with me and Bill Belichick is not an easy person to like... that's all the validation I need.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not that it really means anything much, but SI did a poll of a dozen GMs earlier this year and they voted Belichick the best coach and Ozzie Newsome the best GM.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130904/nfl-gm-poll-belichick-newsome/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

True, laughable. Most everything you just said was garbage.

I'll use the TexPat method of responding since your girlfriend has chosen to fight for you.  This ^ is a well thought out response, "garbage" is that a technical term?

Aww poor Wozzy being attacked, did I hurt your feelings? I barely did nothing close to 'endless' just maybe 2-3 responses after you got your panties in a bunch (like you are right now, such a little girl). Floyd was a 3rd rd talent in your eyes so I guess you have been proven 'right' because he fell 15 spots or so (pick 23 is in the 3rd round Wozzy?? hahaha) and because 6 games into a career he hasn't been dominant.

Floyd has barely played, aren't you the one above who said first rounders have to start and be productive or does that only count when measuring BB's whiffs and not your own?

Ok dude, haha, you 'win'. Hold onto this Floyd victory because there are a bunch of JJ Watt mistakes for every guy you think you called correctly.

I agree, but somehow you think general managers are supposed to be able to see into the future and predict the fates of men, do you see the rank stupidity of this yet... no, I doubt it.

I barely post and hang around the edge of draft threads because I have a 70 hour a week job Bro. Must be nice to be retired, getting senile, having these small meaningless confrontations with younger men be the highlight of your life.

I'm under 40, work and live a great life, I still find time to post here because unlike you it doesn't take me a half hour to formulate a paragraph and I don't spend my time attacking other posters for their opinions, I just put them on ignore which is what I suggest you do instead of insisting people are wrong without for a second considering that it might be you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Not that it really means anything much, but SI did a poll of a dozen GMs earlier this year and they voted Belichick the best coach and Ozzie Newsome the best GM.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130904/nfl-gm-poll-belichick-newsome/

As voted on by GM's... no GM will admit that the position is unnecessary with a great, single football mind who can do both, it would put those who can't coach out of a job.  

I would stack Ozzie Newsome's picks next to Belichick any day, it would be very close judging the two, I would say they're very close and I have great respect for Newsome.  BB isn't very likeable, I would never expect him to win any popularity contests.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I barely post and hang around the edge of draft threads because I have a 70 hour a week job Bro. 

I never quite believe it when people tell me they work 70 or 80 hours a week, unless they really are working two full-time jobs where they have to punch a clock.  You do realize, that to work 70 hours in a week, you need to work 7 am to 7 pm five days a week and still put another 10 hours in over the weekend (i.e., work 7 to 5 on Saturday if you want Sunday off)?  To work 80 hours, you need to work 7 to 7 five days a week and 7 to 5 both Saturday and Sunday.  People say they work this much all the time.  I really don't believe them. Fifty or sixty hours, sure.  But 70 or 80?  Only if you have absolutely no life outside work at all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As voted on by GM's... no GM will admit that the position is unnecessary with a great, single football mind who can do both, it would put those who can't coach out of a job.  

I would stack Ozzie Newsome's picks next to Belichick any day, it would be very close judging the two, I would say they're very close and I have great respect for Newsome.  BB isn't very likeable, I would never expect him to win any popularity contests.

That's fair.  I tend to feel like jri37 does.  That BB is definitely among the top five or so GMs in the league.  Picking one as "best" seems a bit artificial to me.  I think Newsome and Thompson both deserve consideration, since both have built very good teams that are in contention most years too. 

BB is, in my mind, possibly the best coach the game has ever seen.  Certainly, I've seen no one even close to him as a strategist and talent manager. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

That's fair.  I tend to feel like jri37 does.  That BB is definitely among the top five or so GMs in the league.  Picking one as "best" seems a bit artificial to me.  I think Newsome and Thompson both deserve consideration, since both have built very good teams that are in contention most years too. 

BB is, in my mind, possibly the best coach the game has ever seen.  Certainly, I've seen no one even close to him as a strategist and talent manager. 

Agreed, I don't know why there is a constant need to rank everything.  If having the 2nd best GM means I also have the best coach I'll take it.  There is no single person I would rather have running the Patriots, unlike some shortsighted posters here I remember the 80's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Agreed, I don't know why there is a constant need to rank everything.  If having the 2nd best GM means I also have the best coach I'll take it.  There is no single person I would rather have running the Patriots, unlike some shortsighted posters here I remember the 80's.

It's kind of juvenile, isn't it, this need to rank everything. I agree with you.  I think we're the luckiest fans ever to get to watch Belichick at work.  It's like having a Lombardi or a Brown as your coach. He's in that class in my opinion. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I agree picking the "best GM" is such a difficult exercise. It is tough because of how fluid a situation 53 man rosters are and always seem to be always in flux. Sure you can judge the core of the roster and drafts but in my opinion one of the most difficult aspects of a GM's job is juggling the salry cap so a team can have adequate depth. As Wozzy stated and I have in the past BB record as GM speaks for itself and makes him a top 5 GM at a minimum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Find me a GM with a better winning % than Belichick over the last decade, otherwise blow it out your azz.

RESPONSE: Typical crude, low class Wozzy response...and so typical of a Homer. All emotion, no facts. The winning percentage of BB "THE COACH" underscores that he is one of, if not the greatest coach to ever prowl an NFL sideline. Especially when you consider that BB "THE COACH" has been saddled with BB "THE GM". Once again, to highlight the graveyard of wasted high draft picks by BB "THE GM" since 2006:

1.) 2006: RB Laurence Maroney (21st overall pick), WR Chad Jackson (36th overall pick), TE David Thomas (86th overall pick), TE Garrett Mills (106th overall pick);

2.) 2007: FS Brandon Meriweather (24th overall pick), DT Kareem Brown (127th overall pick);

3.) 2008: CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall pick), LB Shawn Crable (78th overall pick), QB Kevin O"Connell (94th overall pick);

4.) 2009: SS Patrick Chung (34th overall pick), DT Ron Brace (40th overall pick), CB Darius Butler (41st overall pick), WR Brandon Tate (83rd overall pick), LB Tyrone McKenzie (97th overall pick);

5.) 2010: LB/DE Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall pick), WR Taylor Price (90th overall pick);

6.) 2011: CB Ras-I Dowling (33rd overall pick);

7.) 2012: SS Tavon Wilson (48th overall pick), DE Jake Bequette (90th overall pick);

8.) 2013: Based on what we've seen thus far, is anybody excited over what they've seen from Jamie Collins (52nd overall), CB Logan Ryan (83rd overall) SS Duron Harmon (91st overall), or WR Josh Boyce (102nd overall)?? Though WR Aaron Dobson (59th overall) has shown some potential, many here have taken to referring to him as Aaron Dropson, due to his unfortunate tendency to drop passes that hit him in the hands. NOT GOOD...as the BB "THE GM" beat goes on. 

But Wooz...let's move on to discuss BB "THE GM's" off-season moves this year. How's that Danny Amendola signing working for you? How about the decision to pay Aaron Hernandez huge guaranteed money, despite having some knowledge that he was a troubled and troubling individual? How about the refusal to resign Wes Welker to a modest 2 year, $10mil. deal, despite knowing that Hernandez was lost to the team...thereby allowing him to join the Pats' top competitor in the AFC, the Denver Horsefaces?? How about his failure to add WR Emmanuel Sanders from the Steelers, when an extra million would have sealed the deal? How about the "great" job that BB "THE GM" did in adding quality depth at DT?      

This ^ is your opinion which is worthless, almost the entire world of sports media, professional scouts, former players turned analysts agree with me and Bill Belichick is not an easy person to like... that's all the validation I need.

RESPONSE: What does it matter whether BB is "not an easy person to like"? Personally, I'm a huge BB "THE COACH" advocate. I vigorously defended him, and continue to defend him, over the Spygate BS. In fact, I can honestly say that I do like BB! I love the way he sticks it to the media. In my humble opinion, he is the greatest NFL coach of all-time.

BUT...the great decade of success for the Patriots was accomplished DESPITE BB "THE GM", not because of him! It was the uncanny ability of BB "THE COACH" to win by coaching up very average overall talent, and his great fortune in having the greatest QB of all-time playing playing for him.

It's a shame that BB won't acknowledge his failings...and turn the personnel decisions over to a GM who is a better judge of talent...and someone who won't fall in love with a player, just because that player played at certain school. Pats' beat writer Mike Reiss has suggested this, too. Oh sorry...I forgot...everyone agrees with you...LOL!!!

Sorry...but I can't turn a blind eye to  the failings of BB "THE GM". If BB "THE GM" was half as good as BB "THE COACH", the Patriots would have at least two more championships over their decade of dominance.

I'm going to end it here, Wooz...without hurling any personal insults your way. I'm in far too good of a mood, after watching the Sox win the AL Championship last night. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Tex for every list that you create regarding BB's failures, cherry picking instances where he faltered, I can create an opposing list of his victories. 

If the end game is winning football games and fielding a competitive team EVERY year than the stance you're taking looks obtuse. 

If you don't want to get blasted try not to interject yourself into an A/B conversation with smart azz comments followed by your traditionally smug and unwarranted "LOL."  We all know your take will be generally negative and anti-BB.

This team is 5-1 with injuries to it's best, all pro players... saying our GM is bad is a joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Tex for every list that you create regarding BB's failures, cherry picking instances where he faltered, I can create an opposing list of his victories. 

RESPONSE: Cherry picking??? I've stated facts, while you rely on emotion. Again...I credit BB "THE COACH" for those successes, along with his great fortune in having Tom Brady as his QB. The poor personnel decisions of BB "THE GM" has made the job of Brady and his coach much harder.

If the end game is winning football games and fielding a competitive team EVERY year than the stance you're taking looks obtuse. 

RESPONSE: AGAIN...credit BB "THE COACH" for this, not BB "THE GM".

If you don't want to get blasted try not to interject yourself into an A/B conversation with smart azz comments followed by your traditionally smug and unwarranted "LOL."  We all know your take will be generally negative and anti-BB.

RESPONSE: Oh please Wooz...don't blast me??!!!!! I'll be good...LOL!!!

This team is 5-1 with injuries to it's best, all pro players... saying our GM is bad is a joke.

RESPONSE: Our team is 5-1 despite the failings of BB "THE GM" this offseason...one of his worst offseason performances ever. Credit a dogged Tom Brady and the great BB "THE COACH" for making lemonaid out of lemons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The endless argument contines...BB is a great coach and a lousy GM and this guy is better and his draft picks suck and so on.

I still don't understand how you can separate the GM from his record?

Some examples.

Theo Epstein made some good draft picks with the Red Sox, made some poor ones too. In the end, the teams he built won two championships so he's a top flight GM in almost everyone's judgment. Certainly the Cubs thought so.

Floyd Reece won two championships with the Giants. His drafting record is not very good, to be charitable. But, based on the criteria most use to judge, he's a successful GM. 

Ted Thompson has a spotty draft record, some really good picks and some really awful ones. But he won a championship in 2010 when the wild card Packers got hot and ran the table. When people talk about the best GMs in the NFL, he gets a lot of mentions. He has a nice team, but they haven't sniffed a Super Bowl other than that one fortunate season. 

Ozzie Newsome is basically the same story, his team got hot and really lucky last year. Otherwise, he's a guy that has built a decent team (not great by the way) and has nothing to show for it after what, ten years on the job?

But some on this board insist that Belichick should be held to a higher standard, that winning is somehow not enough and we need to microanalyze all of his draft choices and point out all the flaws. And based on that analysis, he falls way short of even being an average GM. In fact, he's a failure, the very reason why that other Belichick guy, the one with the hoody, hasn't delivered another championship.

Why when we talk of other GMs, do some folks only look at the team's success but when we look at our own GM, you have to continually point out this or that mistake and ignore the body of work? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

But wozzy, losing super bowls and conference championships is unacceptable!
    Someone must pay!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

But wozzy, losing super bowls and conference championships is unacceptable!
    Someone must pay!

Yawn. Here's a portion of BB's motivational speech to his offense last week, just prior to their game winning drive:

"...So we're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to enlist in (my) Army. We're mutants. There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're soldiers. But we're American soldiers! We've been kicking (butt) for 200 years! We're 10 and 1! Now we don't have to worry about whether or not we practiced. We don't have to worry about whether (Drew Brees) wants to have us hung. All we have to do is to be the great American fighting soldier that is inside each one of us. Now do what I do, and say what I say. And make me proud."

LOL!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

RESPONSE: Cherry picking??? I've stated facts, while you rely on emotion. Again...I credit BB "THE COACH" for those successes, along with his great fortune in having Tom Brady as his QB. The poor personnel decisions of BB "THE GM" has made the job of Brady and his coach much harder.

RESPONSE: Our team is 5-1 despite the failings of BB "THE GM" this offseason...one of his worst offseason performances ever. Credit a dogged Tom Brady and the great BB "THE COACH" for making lemonaid out of lemons.

Truechamp compiled a quick list on another thread of draftees and free agents of this GM, I'll just cut and paste his:

Brady, Gronk, Ridley, Vareen, Mankins, Vollmer, Solder, Mayo, Talib, Wilfork, DMC, Dennard, Nink, Hightower, Spikes, Arrington, Tommy Kelly, Chandler Jones, Steve Gregory along with the rookies Harmon, Jones, Collins who will finish this season out for us just to name a few...

Proving once again that you are what you're record says you are and that there is no cure for stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Dissecting the drafting history of BB is such a "hindsight is 20/20" excercise.  The presumption here, it appears, is BB knew there were better players out there and he did not draft them.  I can understanding critiquing draft choices after the fact is a fan's perogative, but, unless you know first hand what information BB had, what HIS thoughts were at the time of the draft as to the team's needs and how a particular players fits that "image", how can one judge whether or not the choice at the time was bad?  It would have been interesting how this conversation would have gone back when Brady was drafted and if he did not turn out like he did.  Proof in the pudding that drafting players is a flip of the coin as there are "finds" and "busts" all the time!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Dissecting the drafting history of BB is such a "hindsight is 20/20" excercise.  The presumption here, it appears, is BB knew there were better players out there and he did not draft them.  I can understanding critiquing draft choices after the fact is a fan's perogative, but, unless you know first hand what information BB had, what HIS thoughts were at the time of the draft as to the team's needs and how a particular players fits that "image", how can one judge whether or not the choice at the time was bad?  It would have been interesting how this conversation would have gone back when Brady was drafted and if he did not turn out like he did.  Proof in the pudding that drafting players is a flip of the coin as there are "finds" and "busts" all the time!

I don't agree with thIs. If bb knew there were greater players to be had he would have picked them. It's not the knowing, it's the evaluation ProcesS and criteria, maybe the scouts, bb trusting himself vs the scouts, another strong voice that is heard In the process.

when it comes down to it, there are really 3 positions he is upside down on. Cb, WR and safety. He drafts OL, rb, lb, DT very well. So the question if you agree on the above is why? 

Bb has had great picks and not so good picks like everyone else, but he continues to win. He wins for 3 reasons;

1. Bb the coach

2. Brady

3. Builds a deep and balanced roster better than most. Yes, we don't have superstars at every position and we don't have a roster full of 1st - 3rd round picks, but he builds a solid team in spite of the misses.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Truechamp compiled a quick list on another thread of draftees and free agents of this GM, I'll just cut and paste his:

Brady, Gronk, Ridley, Vareen, Mankins, Vollmer, Solder, Mayo, Talib, Wilfork, DMC, Dennard, Nink, Hightower, Spikes, Arrington, Tommy Kelly, Chandler Jones, Steve Gregory along with the rookies Harmon, Jones, Collins who will finish this season out for us just to name a few...

Proving once again that you are what you're record says you are and that there is no cure for stupid.

Agree but if we are truly assessing a GM, then you have to do so without having coaching criteria mixed in. Simply look at draft success, FA success, cap management, dead money, player retention, player production to a degree. 

Those picks you pasted are all great pieces of a winning team. If you line up that list to babes, what's the hit to miss ratio? Gut looks like just north of 55%-60%. Probably better than most gm's. 

i would argue its not just the hits and misses, but the production of the player chosen. His hits have mostly produced big time. Not average starters , but in the tops at their respective positions. 

Sections
Shortcuts