Belichick sites "Suck for Luck"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Belichick sites "Suck for Luck"

I know there's a lot of questioning about taking a QB in the second.   Get a load of this...  Per Reiss from the horses mouth.  

"In our organization, I don't think we would put together a team the way Indianapolis did it when they lost [Peyton] Manning and they go [2-14]. I don't think that's really what we're looking for," he said of the 2011 Colts season that went down the chutes because they didn't have a viable backup.

I just hope he's not saying this is Brady's last year. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Belichick sites

What he is saying is that Mallett sucks...he was a mistake and he's not good enough to help us win if he lose Brady to an injury. Which is what most of is think when we watch him play in the preseason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What he is saying is that Mallett sucks...he was a mistake and he's not good enough to help us win if he lose Brady to an injury. Which is what most of is think when we watch him play in the preseason.

[/QUOTE]

Since he also mentioned Mallet is in his last year of a contract(ie going to get paid by someone else), he is not really saying that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"cites"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mallet filled the back-up role adequately enough--in fact, well enough that BB was comfortable keeping just two QBs on the roster.  I think people make the mistake of assuming Mallet was ever supposed to be something more than the back-up.  That was his role, and he did that well enough to keep a roster slot open for someone other than a third QB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since he also mentioned Mallet is in his last year of a contract(ie going to get paid by someone else), he is not really saying that.

[/QUOTE]

Ok so why is he going to get paid by someone else? If he was that good we'd pay him or get a reasonably high draft choice for him in return. I wonder what we were offered for him from Houston? Whatever it was it wasn't enough to let him go for picks in this year's draft.

I honestly think if this guy was all that good we wouldn't of brought in another guy in the second round to replace him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mallet filled the back-up role adequately enough--in fact, well enough that BB was comfortable keeping just two QBs on the roster.  I think people make the mistake of assuming Mallet was ever supposed to be something more than the back-up.  That was his role, and he did that well enough to keep a roster slot open for someone other than a third QB.

[/QUOTE]

I guess he filled the backup roll adequately enough, he stood there on the sidelines with a fancy hat on and held the clipboard very professionally. He showed virtually nothing in three years of preseason play and never played a meaningful snap during the regular season. You are right, he was nothing more than a backup, which is why we had to go out and spend a high draft choice on another QB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ok so why is he going to get paid by someone else? If he was that good we'd pay him or get a reasonably high draft choice for him in return. I wonder what we were offered for him from Houston? Whatever it was it wasn't enough to let him go for picks in this year's draft.

I honestly think if this guy was all that good we wouldn't of brought in another guy in the second round to replace him.

[/QUOTE]

He may not get paid a lot by someone else, but that doesn't mean the Pats will be able to re-sign him.  Mallet needs to play if he's ever going to be able to command big money, so he may leave for the opportunity to play more than for dollars. 

I don't think the Pats want to trade him because I think they want him as a back-up.  Maybe if Grappolo is great in camp they'll consider a trade, but right now I think the Pats would demand a lot for Mallet because they still need him as a back-up and therefore would have to be getting enough value for him to make the risk of parting with their back-up palatable.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I should point out that I'm not saying Mallet is a great QB.  It's just that I think he has real value to the Pats as an experienced back-up and they won't part with him unless they get a lot for him.  He'll be hard to replace this season, since the replacements will all have to learn the system and can't be expected to do that very fast. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

I should point out that I'm not saying Mallet is a great QB.  It's just that I think he has real value to the Pats as an experienced back-up and they won't part with him unless they get a lot for him.  He'll be hard to replace this season, since the replacements will all have to learn the system and can't be expected to do that very fast. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]I think most understand your point, and BB in the OP was talking(proudly I would add) that his team is never going to go 2 and 14 no matter who the f ing QB is because he builds great football teams. If fans don't like it then go root for other teams who will in fact "suck for luck".

This isnt the NBA, you dont just throw out a season when your best player goes down. You go 11-5 with a back up QB who "never did anything in pre season" or college for that matter. Mallet is finishing a 4 year contract, that is why we drafted the next Mallet, a highly drafted QB who might have to step in for an older injured Tom Brady.

Instead of being happy that day did not come in the last 3 years, "fans" on this board choose to bash the back up QB because why exactly? He didn't throw 4 tds in a vanilla pre season scrimmage? Unreal. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"cites"

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well thank you.  Can I have my ticket now?  You remind me of someone...  Hmmmmm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]I think most understand your point, and BB in the OP was talking(proudly I would add) that his team is never going to go 2 and 14 no matter who the f ing QB is because he builds great football teams. If fans don't like it then go root for other teams who will in fact "suck for luck".

This isnt the NBA, you dont just throw out a season when your best player goes down. You go 11-5 with a back up QB who "never did anything in pre season" or college for that matter. Mallet is finishing a 4 year contract, that is why we drafted the next Mallet, a highly drafted QB who might have to step in for an older injured Tom Brady.

Instead of being happy that day did not come in the last 3 years, "fans" on this board choose to bash the back up QB because why exactly? He didn't throw 4 tds in a vanilla pre season scrimmage? Unreal. 

[/QUOTE]

+1.  How can anyone grade Mallet, he hasn't had a chance to play, thank goodness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep . . . back-up QB is a far more important position than most fans believe, because good coaches (like Belichick) want to be prepared to continue winning even if their starter goes down.  The best situation to be in is to have a talented guy who can start at QB and never, ever play him.  That's exactly what the Pats seem to have done the past few years . . . .  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

If Tommy went down last season and Mallet came in to fill the role, the Patriots would have been drafting in the top 5 this season.

Belichick has not drafted good QB's with exception to the GOAT. Was that Billy who wanted the GOAT or more of Larry Cook or Bob Grier?

Dont say Cassell was good.  More credit to the team and soft schedule for that season. Still missed playoffs.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He plays with the 2s and 3s. People said the same exact thing with Cassel and then Cassel went on to have a better year than Favre in 2008, after not starting a game for a decade.

Mallett will be dealt when it's all said and done. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What took so long.  

Bad draft pick to take Mallet.

Now can't get rid of him unless cut him or take a # 3 or # 4 pick next draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely the truth. Ryan Mallet looked bad in preseason against junk competition. If we still had Hoyer I don't think we'd be as concerned. We'd still be thinking about it a little but Mallet is awful and he seems to get worse every year instead of better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to ewhite1065's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely the truth. Ryan Mallet looked bad in preseason against junk competition. If we still had Hoyer I don't think we'd be as concerned. We'd still be thinking about it a little but Mallet is awful and he seems to get worse every year instead of better.

[/QUOTE]

Mallet Sucks.

Hoyer sucked.

O'Connell was a joke.

Cassell did good thanks to soft schedule. But he sucks.

Gutierrez sucked

TesticleVerdie was an old geezer.

Flutie see above

Davey sucked

Huard sucked

Bledsoe was good but not a Billy B guy

Billy B sucks at picking QB's.  He hit gold 1 time and that was more of Larry Cook and Bobby Grier then Billy B.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

BB obviously thinks Mallet has talent or he would have carried more than 2 QB's last year.  BB is not going to try to sign him when he becomes a free agent because he won't overspend for a back up.

If another team has an early season injury and offers a lot for Mallet, maybe.  It depends if Grappolo is looking good.

What if Brady were to have an injury and miss 6 regular season games?  BB still wants to win the division.  

Brady's first Superbowl he missed a playoff game.  Had a goooood backup.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He plays with the 2s and 3s. People said the same exact thing with Cassel and then Cassel went on to have a better year than Favre in 2008, after not starting a game for a decade.

Mallett will be dealt when it's all said and done. 

[/QUOTE]

I hate it when people say, "he plays with the two's and the three's", because he is playing AGAINST the two and three's.

He very well may get traded, I can't see them just letting him walk for nothing, but at this point they need a backup who knows the system....you can't ask a rookie to do that (but you never know).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He may not get paid a lot by someone else, but that doesn't mean the Pats will be able to re-sign him.  Mallet needs to play if he's ever going to be able to command big money, so he may leave for the opportunity to play more than for dollars. 

I don't think the Pats want to trade him because I think they want him as a back-up.  Maybe if Grappolo is great in camp they'll consider a trade, but right now I think the Pats would demand a lot for Mallet because they still need him as a back-up and therefore would have to be getting enough value for him to make the risk of parting with their back-up palatable.   

[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from.