Belichick switch back to a 3 man front!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Belichick switch back to a 3 man front!

Rkarp, pass coverage suffers from lack of pressure, not simply poor coverage. Nobody can cover forever, coverage is probably the toughest thing to do in football.  If Mayo is bad at coverage than nobody is good at coverage.  Play more DT's, play the 3/4...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Rkarp, pass coverage suffers from lack of pressure, not simply poor coverage. Nobody can cover forever, coverage is probably the toughest thing to do in football.  If Mayo is bad at coverage than nobody is good at coverage.  Play more DT's, play the 3/4...

Agree with this. I think we've had our front 7 in their  back field but they have to hit the QB or at least make him hurry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Pro QB's don't usually throw up ducks because they've had a brain lapses, they throw picks because they've been stuck a few times and are hearing footsteps.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Yes, I am saying Mayo is average in coverage, Spikes and Hightower below average in coverage, and Jones is non existent in coverage. Plaing a 3/4 defense, these line backers would have to be subbed out in passing downs, and if they faced a team such as the Ravens who spread the offense out, these guys would be off the field. Fletcher, White and Tarpinian would be on the team, as would Allen. 

I actually like this defense in the 4/3. Jones needs help getting to the QB. I prefer Cunnungham getting more reps. Might we see Vince on the end once Deadrick is healthy? 

Where are the blitzes? McCourty is isolated most plays anyways. Bring Chung a few times. I haven't seen Hightower in the back field yet. How about Arrington on a corner blitz? 

Pats have the personnel to scheme QB pressure. It seems the coaching staff doesn't want to do it. They prefer to sit back and try to cover, and with out pressure, there will be coverage breakdowns. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Blitz, blitz, blitz!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the issue is more the players than the alignment.  More big bodies upfront won't necessarily equate to better pass rush if the big bodies aren't good rushers themselves or don't command double teams to free up other players (LBs) to rush.  The old BB 3/4 worked (with Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork/Washington) because we had multiple guys who needed to be double teamed and Seymour was a good penetrator as well. The double teams freed up Vrabel, McGinnist, and Phifer to get to the QB, and Seymour gave them a bit more of an interior pass rushing presence as well.  

Traditionally, 4/3 defenses are considered good pass rushing defenses.  That's because you've got your two ends really devoted to getting up field.  And if it's a one-gap system, then the interior linemen may be penetrators too (in the Warren Sapp mold). The 4/3 tends to emphasize speed and agility, while the 3/4 tends to emphasize power.  You can get a good pass rush from either alignment--you just need the right players to do it.

One thing the Pats have always been reluctant to do is attack with blitzes (sending extra rushers).  They also seem (at least to a casual observer who isn't analyzing a lot of film) to have become a little more conservative in their play calling to me (not running a lot of stunts, not really mixing up alignments as much as they used to).  I suspect this is in part because BB doesn't think the young guys have the experience yet to do complex things without making mistakes that might result in big plays for the opposing offense.  I also think that the pass coverage from the LBs and DBs is still not as good as it ideally should be, so BB is a little reluctant to take guys out of coverage and have them attack upfield.  He may feel he needs a full seven guys back in coverage to avoid major lapses that could result in big plays for the opposing offense.

I still think the D is improved over last year and given it's youth is likely to show a lot of additional improvement as the season progresses.  One of the challenges they face though is that they have a lot of guys in the front seven who are good run defenders, but not a lot of guys in that group who are great either as pass rushers or coverage guys.  I sometimes wonder if they eventually try to substitute a guy like Tavon Wilson for one of the LBs to provide them with a more versatile player who has coverage skills but can still challenge a bit at the LOS. Ideally, they'd have more coverage and pass rushing skills in their front seven, but if they don't have the players to do that is there a way they can used an extra safety to give them a better mix of skills on the field?  We'll see as the season rolls on.  It's still very early and I'm not too worried at this point.  We made the Super Bowl last season with a worse defense, after all.  And while our offense is looking a little ragged right now, I also think that's still a work in progress.  Let's see how the whole team is looking around week 6 . . . I'm optimistic that a lot will start to gel around that time. 

[Hey Digger--was this okay for post 5000? You warned me about a week ago that post 5000 was coming up and I had to make it good, but I was traveling all week for business and didn't get much of a chance to post, so 5000 had to wait till today . . .] 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Not to sound demeaning but it is ALWAYS the personnel around here when trying to dissect the root of a problem, other teams have all the players we want apparently and coaching is always an afterthought.  The difference in pressure from game one where we saw much more 3 man fronts with a healthy Deaderick, to a steady decline in the last two has been glaringly noticable.

RKarp we'll have to agree to disagree. Mayo is the best roving middle linebacker in the NFL, he has no weakness when healthy.  Hightower is an absolute beast at all facets and is improving, his shuttle times in the combine were great, he has no problem covering, Spikes is great in zone coverage and Ninck is a good cover.  The problem with coverage is nobody notices it until it breaks down, nobody praises the 80% of the time when it is effective.  Simple equation; no pressure = poor coverage.

Jints the list of teams that still run the 3/4 well is large; 49ers, Houston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Arizona, Baltimore, Green Bay, Dallas etc...

We're the only one that plays a nickel package as our base defense, it might be to conserve the health of our players but it forces our offense to score a lot of points to win.  BB will be forced to play more 3/4 if the losses pile up any higher, we can't fall too far back because the replacement refs already stuck us in a hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Not to sound demeaning but it is ALWAYS the personnel around here when trying to dissect the root of a problem, other teams have all the players we want apparently and coaching is always an afterthought.  The difference in pressure from game one where we saw much more 3 man fronts with a healthy Deaderick, to a steady decline in the last two has been glaringly noticable.

RKarp we'll have to agree to disagree. Mayo is the best roving middle linebacker in the NFL, he has no weakness when healthy.  Hightower is an absolute beast at all facets and is improving, his shuttle times in the combine were great, he has no problem covering, Spikes is great in zone coverage and Ninck is a good cover.  The problem with coverage is nobody notices it until it breaks down, nobody praises the 80% of the time when it is effective.  Simple equation; no pressure = poor coverage.

Jints the list of teams that still run the 3/4 well is large; 49ers, Houston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Arizona, Baltimore, Green Bay, Dallas etc...

We're the only one that plays a nickel package as our base defense, it might be to conserve the health of our players but it forces our offense to score a lot of points to win.  BB will be forced to play more 3/4 if the losses pile up any higher, we can't fall too far back because the replacement refs already stuck us in a hole.

I thought Spikes and Hightower were greatly exposed on passing downs against the Ravens. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I thought Spikes and Hightower were greatly exposed on passing downs against the Ravens. 

I am not sure Mayo would make the top 10 linebacker list taking into account playing all downs, pass defense, run defense, QB pressure. 

Ithought in general, the Ravens line backers were a more impressive group, even with out Suggs, but that may have been due to defensive schemes more than anything. 

I still see Harbaugh playing mostly Rex Ryan defense, overloading and confusing the offense to create pressure. LWebb affords them the opportunity to do this as he can shut down most any WR. McCourty gets a lot of grief on these boards, but I feel he is playing very well, and can also be left one on one with any WR in the NFL. This should allow the Pats to scheme for more pressure on the QB, but it seems they prefer cover 2 and not giving up the big play. Problem as I see it is that Ching is constantly out of position, and Gregory lacks closing speed to play cover 2 . He makes up for it by being in the right place at the right time, but when he must have that closing speed, it isnt there. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I would counter that Ravens linebacking corp does more than tackle because we play a two man defensive front so often, while they mostly play a three.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think the issue is more the players than the alignment.  More big bodies upfront won't necessarily equate to better pass rush if the big bodies aren't good rushers themselves or don't command double teams to free up other players (LBs) to rush.  The old BB 3/4 worked (with Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork/Washington) because we had multiple guys who needed to be double teamed and Seymour was a good penetrator as well. The double teams freed up Vrabel, McGinnist, and Phifer to get to the QB, and Seymour gave them a bit more of an interior pass rushing presence as well.  

i have to disagree. we are saying the sb teams had more talent upfront with the benefit if hindsight. i remember back in 2001, even after tb had helped them win to get back above 500, people had serious doubts about the talent level on that team. in fact even after the 2001 season, they were considered a one year wonder. people, even fans, were saying they did not have the talent to repeat. the 2002 season "confirmed" that in a lot of people's minds. it was not until they won their second sb when people started to recognize they had talent, but even then, people said it was the system that allowed the the individuals to shine at key moments.

comparing how i viewed the 2001 team when tb took over at qb vs the team now, i believe they have more talent now - on both sides of the ball.

i believe this team is suffering from an acute problem called PREDICTABILITY. we saw it on the o in the recent years. we just did not talk about it much but that predictability was there on teh d too. how predictable was it that they send three to rush the qb on a 3rd and long. and how much more predictable was it when they had a lead on the 4th? 

opponents expect this. i think they just wait to see during the game if the pats changed anything for that game. if they see it's same old same old, they know how to act. if they have a decent qb, no problem. the qb does not have to be fearful. he can sit in the pocket and just wait for the secondary to open up, which eventually will... then boom a pass for a long gain and first down.

early in the game, the three-man rush works, because the DL is fresh and the opposing OL is probably just getting their feet set. how much harder do you think it is for those three guys to get to the qb in the fourth, of a high-stakes game? the OL at this point is very focused and the DL very tired.

people complain about the d given up the lead? there's your answer. the they are most predictable - i.e., vulnerable" when they are in a "sure win" situation in the fourth.

back in 2001, their d worked well because they were getting pressure to the qb via diverse positions. i remember bruschi getting a couple of sacks on delayed blitzes. they were dynamic. people talked about how unpredictable where that pressure was coming from.

what may be happening is an over focus on discipline and a higher aversion to taking at the individual level. in the pats system, discipline is enforced by throwing to the dog house players who don't follow the script to the letter. that would be a good result actually for the individual because some are not lucky enough to stay on the team.

other teams understand that pats players are going to behave a certain way. they know that in a crunch, pats players are going to be in a certain place, and will not take the risk of being the guy who did not stay in his assigned zone. they will be afraid to be in the wrong place.  to counter, the opposing team just has to shift where that wrong place is. 

i think this dynamic also explains why there are players who are able to stay on the team when you don't make any plays. they are able to keep their jobs by just staying in exactly the spot they were told to stay.

the problem is it all translates to predictability. anyone who knows game theory knows that unless you have all the success levers, predictability is a bad thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Great post Seattle. Too many fans here feel the need to boil everything down to "talent" We have 4 sacks in 3 games, and not many pressures, without checking I will say somewhere near the bottom and it is accepted by all of us that we don't blitz much at all. BB seems to do this every year. Starts the 1st few games with a vanilla D plan, and adds a few more wrinkles every week. If we give up passing yards to a QB that isn't touched and rarely blitzed, then how is it a talent deficiency?

I would like to see us send extra rushers again. This feels like deja-vu, I remember many of us saying the same things last year around this time. Then BB sent the rushers and we're hitting QB's left and right till Carter went down. I expect the defense to play well in a tough road game, and force a few turnovers, and a few sacks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wow, I'm surprised at how many fans think Belichick doesn't know how to coach! Last year, the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense; now the criticism is spilling over to the defensive side of the ball. 

Yeah, as I said, this defense is playing conservatively without a lot of stunting or exotic formations or blitzing. I'm not sure, though, that the talent or experience is really there to do these things yet. Give the young guys some time to learn and develop and we might get more of that.  But even ignoring the inexperience, we still have some basic talent deficiencies.    I just watched a whole bunch of coaches film from last year and this year focusing solely on Ninkovich to see his pass coverage ability (which Wozzy was touting as good above).  Oddly, I didn't see him drop into coverage once on any of the film.  Maybe he did in games I didn't watch--but in the games I watched, Nink rushes the passer on every single pass play.  And on every one of those plays he gets absolutely no pressure and is easily handled by one blocker (often a TE, not even a tackle).  That's a talent problem.  The guy is slow, has no moves, and lacks power.  He's only on the field because he usually holds the edge okay against the run (he's nothing special in pursuit, though--he's just not fast enough).  You could try doing something more exotic with Nink--but personally, after watching the film I saw today (and granted it's only a sample--there may be better stuff out there), I don't think he's capable of exotic stuff.  The speed just isn't there.  What's noticeable is how much more talented Jones is than Nink.  Problem is, teams are now doubling him and no one else is stepping up because no one else can.  Even Wilfork (and I love the guy) is often getting driven back by just one blocker.  Maybe one of the guys on the bench (Bequette, Scott) could provide some real aggression.  But the guys on the field now--other than Jones--just aren't fast.  You ain't gonna get a great pass rush out of slow guys no matter how you align them.

And so do you blitz a safety?  Hmmmm . . . only if you think Arrington, McCourty, Chung, and Gregory are an elite defensive backfield.  You guys think that?  If so, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn . . .

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wow, I'm surprised at how many fans think Belichick doesn't know how to coach! Last year, the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense; now the criticism is spilling over to the defensive side of the ball. 

Even Wilfork (and I love the guy) is often getting driven back by just one blocker.  Maybe one of the guys on the bench (Bequette, Scott) could provide some real aggression.  But the guys on the field now--other than Jones--just aren't fast.  You ain't gonna get a great pass rush out of slow guys no matter how you align them.

And so do you blitz a safety?  Hmmmm . . . only if you think Arrington, McCourty, Chung, and Gregory are an elite defensive backfield.  You guys think that?  If so, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn . . .

Last year the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense.  This year's roster moves, multiple tight end/fullback alignments and all the running proves we were correct. It's still a work in progress, but at least they're headed in the right direction.

The corners were #2 in the entire NFL in INT's last year and #1 the year before, with zero pressure, now imagine how good they might be with pressure?

Now Wilfork sux, I've heard it all...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Last year the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense. This year's roster moves, multiple tight end/fullback alignments and all the running proves we were correct. It's still a work in progress, but at least they're headed in the right direction.

The corners were #2 in the entire NFL in INT's last year and #1 the year before, with zero pressure, now imagine how good they might be with pressure?

Where are these FB's you speak of?   It was going to be either-or, not both.  They went with the multiple TE's because the O-line is weak.

The only game they ran well was with the 3 TE sets.  They are not there to spring the run game, they are now being used to pass protect.  Unless you think the reduction of sacks along with a 2.8 ypc for the backs last week was a fluke.  

Pass protection is always going to take  billing over the run game.  Until the 0-line jells and the TE's get back and the backs can protect, what you see is what you get. 

The D was 2nd in ints last year because everyone and their grand mother threw on them and they played against the Mat Moores and Orlovsky's of the world.  Still gave up record breaking yards with that.  Some how you think that's good????  Whatever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yeah, as I said, this defense is playing conservatively without a lot of stunting or exotic formations or blitzing. I'm not sure, though, that the talent or experience is really there to do these things yet. Give the young guys some time to learn and develop and we might get more of that.  But even ignoring the inexperience, we still have some basic talent deficiencies.    I just watched a whole bunch of coaches film from last year and this year focusing solely on Ninkovich to see his pass coverage ability (which Wozzy was touting as good above).  Oddly, I didn't see him drop into coverage once on any of the film.  Maybe he did in games I didn't watch--but in the games I watched, Nink rushes the passer on every single pass play.  And on every one of those plays he gets absolutely no pressure and is easily handled by one blocker (often a TE, not even a tackle).  That's a talent problem.  The guy is slow, has no moves, and lacks power.  He's only on the field because he usually holds the edge okay against the run (he's nothing special in pursuit, though--he's just not fast enough).  You could try doing something more exotic with Nink--but personally, after watching the film I saw today (and granted it's only a sample--there may be better stuff out there), I don't think he's capable of exotic stuff.  The speed just isn't there.  What's noticeable is how much more talented Jones is than Nink.  Problem is, teams are now doubling him and no one else is stepping up because no one else can.  Even Wilfork (and I love the guy) is often getting driven back by just one blocker.  Maybe one of the guys on the bench (Bequette, Scott) could provide some real aggression.  But the guys on the field now--other than Jones--just aren't fast.  You ain't gonna get a great pass rush out of slow guys no matter how you align them.

I don't know where to begin.

Now Wilfork isn't talented enough in your opinion. I bet you were the self proclaimed scout n the stands back in 2001 correctly anicipating the HOF careers of guys like

Christian Fauria, Marc Edwards, Antowain Smith, Patrick Pass, JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, Bobby Hamilton, Jarvis Green, DavePatton, Mike Compton,

Hey Prolate you need a star RT, have Greg Randall. Oh, not good enough, sub in Kenyatta Jones.

You say Mayo can't cover, throw in 38 year old Roman Phifer see what he did in coverage.

I remember a lot of these guys making plays in key situations, does that mean they were a superior talent? No. It means the "coaches" utilized their talent at the appropriate time. Tey were put in postion to succeed by a "talented" coaching staff.

Ozwald didn't act alone, and neither did Bill Belichick in the dynasty era. 

He had an all star cast around him that he single handedly picked out. 2 GM's, 4 head coaches, and even a strength and conditioning coach with 6 SB championships. Ever heard the expression, "you are only as strong as your weakest link"?

BB does not coach the Pats by himself. Read "the education of a coach" or "The art of coaching" or "War Room" to get an idea of how important coaching is to the game of football. We have talent, it is not an issue, we are just having trouble utilizing that talent to get us over the hump.

Find me a team with more talent then we have at all postions. You can't. Each team has strengths and weakness, coaching is how well you can utilize the strengths and disguise the weakness.

I think BB, Patricia, Pepper, Scar and McD are talented enough coaches and will right the ship, it will just take a few games to iron out the kinks. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Never said Wilfork wasn't any good. He's one of my favorite players.

If you actually read Pro's thread, he said in the games he watched, Fork was getting pushed back and not doubled.  It happens, no one is perfect.  He never said he sucked.

Sad, you people have to make up shyte to support your twisted agenda.  Really is.

The cuckoo's are the ones running around saying TB and Mankins suck and the D played good last year and they would have won the SB if only our 3ypc backs ran more.  Dope much?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[Hey Digger--was this okay for post 5000? You warned me about a week ago that post 5000 was coming up and I had to make it good, but I was traveling all week for business and didn't get much of a chance to post, so 5000 had to wait till today . . .]

Very nice. You add another viewpoint to consider. Even though others may vehemently disagree sometimes, you always keep it civil. Keep 'em coming!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Wozz kicked this thing off asking BB to switch back to a 3 man front. Since then we have heard all different types of opinions as to why this defense is not so great....Personnel, scheme/not bringing enough pressure, coaching, etc. Russ even chimed in (again) to have us refocus on the Offense, which I think deserves criticism as well. 

My opinion is in the way this defense is architected.

Lets focus on the front 7....

We have a mash of 3-4 and 4-3 players who are asked to play multiple roles. OLB's playing 4-3 end, 4-3 end's playing 3-4 OLB's, NT playing DT, etc. When have you ever seen a 4-3 defense with LB's as big as ours? I have never seen a 270lb LB play 4-3 OLB effectively. Jones in my mind is also as pure a 4-3 end as you could possibly hope for...the list goes on with Love, Brace, Wilfork, etc. All more tuned to play NT in a 3-4 defense and not be your up the field rushers akin to the Giants for example. 

My point is lets for once just be good or even great at something. Architect the team with a scheme in mind. Draft and spend in FA accordingly. Lets find the purest people at posiitons of need in 1 scheme. All we have to do is be great in the 4-3 and it doesn't matter if we have guys that can bounce between 3-4 and 4-3. Who cares if we are not doing either very effectively. 

Until then, I would be interested based on personnel we have, what our best option is? We are severly lacking in the pressure department. I know a lot of this can be attributed to they way BB calls the defense and instructs his guys what to do, but I also think we just don't have the speed outside of Jones to be effective blitzing. 

Sections
Shortcuts