Belichick switch back to a 3 man front!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Belichick switch back to a 3 man front!

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, I'm surprised at how many fans think Belichick doesn't know how to coach! Last year, the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense; now the criticism is spilling over to the defensive side of the ball. 

Yeah, as I said, this defense is playing conservatively without a lot of stunting or exotic formations or blitzing. I'm not sure, though, that the talent or experience is really there to do these things yet. Give the young guys some time to learn and develop and we might get more of that.  But even ignoring the inexperience, we still have some basic talent deficiencies.    I just watched a whole bunch of coaches film from last year and this year focusing solely on Ninkovich to see his pass coverage ability (which Wozzy was touting as good above).  Oddly, I didn't see him drop into coverage once on any of the film.  Maybe he did in games I didn't watch--but in the games I watched, Nink rushes the passer on every single pass play.  And on every one of those plays he gets absolutely no pressure and is easily handled by one blocker (often a TE, not even a tackle).  That's a talent problem.  The guy is slow, has no moves, and lacks power.  He's only on the field because he usually holds the edge okay against the run (he's nothing special in pursuit, though--he's just not fast enough).  You could try doing something more exotic with Nink--but personally, after watching the film I saw today (and granted it's only a sample--there may be better stuff out there), I don't think he's capable of exotic stuff.  The speed just isn't there.  What's noticeable is how much more talented Jones is than Nink.  Problem is, teams are now doubling him and no one else is stepping up because no one else can.  Even Wilfork (and I love the guy) is often getting driven back by just one blocker.  Maybe one of the guys on the bench (Bequette, Scott) could provide some real aggression.  But the guys on the field now--other than Jones--just aren't fast.  You ain't gonna get a great pass rush out of slow guys no matter how you align them.

And so do you blitz a safety?  Hmmmm . . . only if you think Arrington, McCourty, Chung, and Gregory are an elite defensive backfield.  You guys think that?  If so, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn . . .

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where to begin.

Now Wilfork isn't talented enough in your opinion. I bet you were the self proclaimed scout n the stands back in 2001 correctly anicipating the HOF careers of guys like

Christian Fauria, Marc Edwards, Antowain Smith, Patrick Pass, JR Redmond, Jermaine Wiggins, Bobby Hamilton, Jarvis Green, DavePatton, Mike Compton,

Hey Prolate you need a star RT, have Greg Randall. Oh, not good enough, sub in Kenyatta Jones.

You say Mayo can't cover, throw in 38 year old Roman Phifer see what he did in coverage.

I remember a lot of these guys making plays in key situations, does that mean they were a superior talent? No. It means the "coaches" utilized their talent at the appropriate time. Tey were put in postion to succeed by a "talented" coaching staff.

Ozwald didn't act alone, and neither did Bill Belichick in the dynasty era. 

He had an all star cast around him that he single handedly picked out. 2 GM's, 4 head coaches, and even a strength and conditioning coach with 6 SB championships. Ever heard the expression, "you are only as strong as your weakest link"?

BB does not coach the Pats by himself. Read "the education of a coach" or "The art of coaching" or "War Room" to get an idea of how important coaching is to the game of football. We have talent, it is not an issue, we are just having trouble utilizing that talent to get us over the hump.

Find me a team with more talent then we have at all postions. You can't. Each team has strengths and weakness, coaching is how well you can utilize the strengths and disguise the weakness.

I think BB, Patricia, Pepper, Scar and McD are talented enough coaches and will right the ship, it will just take a few games to iron out the kinks. 

[/QUOTE]

No. 100 % false. Total opposite. This team wins ins spite of its short comings because BB is the coach. My criticism has always been with personnel decisions. I keep hearing about depth, but I don't see it. The Oline has no depth, the interior d line is short handed. The line backers are one dimensional. Where is Fells, Scott, Ras, Vereen.  Whe I disagree is with the off season free agent signings and the draft. 

What BB did with last years defense was his best coaching job ever. Last years defense was an embarrassment that BB schemed to 13 wins. Can he do the same this year? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Guys watch the film (you can buy it from the NFL now).  I'm not saying Wilfork sucks.  All I'm saying is that I was surprised at how much the Ravens were able to handle him with a single blocker on pass plays.  Watch the pass rush and blocking on the first TD pass to Torrey Smith and you'll see what I mean.  Nink and Wilfork are both handled with single blockers.  Love and Jones get the attention of multiple blockers.  I know Wilfork is two-gapping a lot and can't be expected to get much penetration then, but when he's being handled by one blocker on a pass play, you'd like to see more pressure from him.  They also need a lot more from Nink. The pass rush isn't good because they don't have good pass rushers outside of Jones.  Blame Belichick all you want for the defensive game plan, but until they get guys who can rush, they aren't going to get a pass rush no matter how they line these guys up.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Me (earlier post): Last year the usual suspects were all over the coaches for not running enough and being too predictable on offense.  

Wozzy: This year's roster moves, multiple tight end/fullback alignments and all the running proves we were correct. It's still a work in progress, but at least they're headed in the right direction.

Me: Wozzy, I'm not against trying to run more, but so far the offense has still been most productive in spread formations, at least against the better Arizona and Baltimore defenses.  The tight formations have not produced a lot of points.  Lacking Hernandez hurts quite a bit, but there's a reason we've seen so much of Danny Woodhead and the spread offense starting with the fourth quarter against Arizona.    

Wozzy.  The corners were #2 in the entire NFL in INT's last year and #1 the year before, with zero pressure, now imagine how good they might be with pressure?

Me.  McCourty is playing pretty well this year, I think (and contrary to what a lot of others are saying), but Arrington still gets beat too much in my opinion.  Safeties are so-so.  

Wozzy:  Now Wilfork sux, I've heard it all...

Me:  I didn't say he sucks.  He's great against the run.  He just doesn't get much pressure on passing plays.   Jones is the only guy right now who's regularly getting anywhere near the QB.   Love is actually next best (and maybe that's partly because he's lined up next to Jones most of the time, but he also looks a little quicker than Wilfork right now).  Nink is hopeless and Wilfork isn't much as a penetrating DT.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozz kicked this thing off asking BB to switch back to a 3 man front. Since then we have heard all different types of opinions as to why this defense is not so great....Personnel, scheme/not bringing enough pressure, coaching, etc. Russ even chimed in (again) to have us refocus on the Offense, which I think deserves criticism as well. 

My opinion is in the way this defense is architected.

Lets focus on the front 7....

We have a mash of 3-4 and 4-3 players who are asked to play multiple roles. OLB's playing 4-3 end, 4-3 end's playing 3-4 OLB's, NT playing DT, etc. When have you ever seen a 4-3 defense with LB's as big as ours? I have never seen a 270lb LB play 4-3 OLB effectively. Jones in my mind is also as pure a 4-3 end as you could possibly hope for...the list goes on with Love, Brace, Wilfork, etc. All more tuned to play NT in a 3-4 defense and not be your up the field rushers akin to the Giants for example. 

My point is lets for once just be good or even great at something. Architect the team with a scheme in mind. Draft and spend in FA accordingly. Lets find the purest people at posiitons of need in 1 scheme. All we have to do is be great in the 4-3 and it doesn't matter if we have guys that can bounce between 3-4 and 4-3. Who cares if we are not doing either very effectively. 

Until then, I would be interested based on personnel we have, what our best option is? We are severly lacking in the pressure department. I know a lot of this can be attributed to they way BB calls the defense and instructs his guys what to do, but I also think we just don't have the speed outside of Jones to be effective blitzing. 

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that it's a bit of a mish-mash of players in the front 7--and I'd add that most seem to be more suited to run defense than pass defense.  Against the Ravens, we were weak against the run late in the game in part because we were keeping our safeties way back to protect our corners and in part because our LBs were tending to back up to fill the underneath zones rather than attack the LOS.  We can defend the run very well with Wilfork, Love, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, and Nink.  All of those guys are good-to-great run stoppers.  But because our pass coverage wasn't strong, we were forcing those guys back into coverage and opening up space underneath for the running back.  Having to overcompensate for a weak pass defense was actually hurting a strong run defense.  Maybe we should stop worrying so much about the coverage part of pass defense and just send a few of those LBs forward rather than backward and see if we get more pressure.  I like the idea of blitzing Hightower and Spikes more.  Still, the lack of good pass defense skills continues to be a problem for this team.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozz kicked this thing off asking BB to switch back to a 3 man front. Since then we have heard all different types of opinions as to why this defense is not so great....Personnel, scheme/not bringing enough pressure, coaching, etc. Russ even chimed in (again) to have us refocus on the Offense, which I think deserves criticism as well. 

My opinion is in the way this defense is architected.

Lets focus on the front 7....

We have a mash of 3-4 and 4-3 players who are asked to play multiple roles. OLB's playing 4-3 end, 4-3 end's playing 3-4 OLB's, NT playing DT, etc. When have you ever seen a 4-3 defense with LB's as big as ours? I have never seen a 270lb LB play 4-3 OLB effectively. Jones in my mind is also as pure a 4-3 end as you could possibly hope for...the list goes on with Love, Brace, Wilfork, etc. All more tuned to play NT in a 3-4 defense and not be your up the field rushers akin to the Giants for example. \

[/QUOTE]

The Trojans, for one, used Mauluaga as their ILB and basically made the rounds at that size.

It's the 4-3 under. NE has been running it for a few seasons, and they ran it for their first couple super bowl wins. Finding real 34 OLB talent is tough. 

NE doesn't have enough. Nink is about it, and he is mediocre at best. Jones looks exactly like he did in college.... a guy who is best at DE. Everyone else is a DE, who can occaisionally stand as an Elephant. That is all. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Blame Belichick all you want for the defensive game plan, but until they get guys who can rush, they aren't going to get a pass rush no matter how they line these guys up.   

[/QUOTE]

That is this forum in a nutshell. 

NE has the best: RBs, WRs, CBs, and 34 OLBS (!) .... BB just doesn't know what he is doing as a coach. 

The sad truth is, no one actually fears many of these players in the NFL because they are mediocre at those positions. OK, they improved at WR with Lloyd and Ridley is an upgrade over BJGE. But CB is and has been a liability for some time here. Interceptions are great, but most of them seem to come in blowouts, where the other team is forced to throw.

Anyone who claims they are watching games and doesn't note (easily) how the *most basic* game plan that other teams use against NE is to attack the corners early and often, is being disingenuous. I mean, it's out there ... NE can be had by going over their corners. It works again and again and again. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]That is this forum in a nutshell. 

NE has the best: RBs, WRs, CBs, and 34 OLBS (!) .... BB just doesn't know what he is doing as a coach. 

The sad truth is, no one actually fears many of these players in the NFL because they are mediocre at those positions. OK, they improved at WR with Lloyd and Ridley is an upgrade over BJGE. But CB is and has been a liability for some time here. Interceptions are great, but most of them seem to come in blowouts, where the other team is forced to throw.

Anyone who claims they are watching games and doesn't note (easily) how the *most basic* game plan that other teams use against NE is to attack the corners early and often, is being disingenuous. I mean, it's out there ... NE can be had by going over their corners. It works again and again and again. [/QUOTE]

Hey z, please stick around. You make this forum a better place.

I don't disagree with you, however, the Patriots continue to be one of the better teams in the NFL and are perennial Super Bowl contenders in spite of the defense.

What I'm getting at, I guess, is that with a top notch defense the Patriots would dominate. That would be great but is it realistic to want what no other team has, a team with no weaknesses?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]That is this forum in a nutshell. 

Anyone who claims they are watching games and doesn't note (easily) how the *most basic* game plan that other teams use against NE is to attack the corners early and often, is being disingenuous. I mean, it's out there ... NE can be had by going over their corners. It works again and again and again. [/QUOTE]

Hey z, please stick around. You make this forum a better place.

I don't disagree with you, however, the Patriots continue to be one of the better teams in the NFL and are perennial Super Bowl contenders in spite of the defense.

What I'm getting at, I guess, is that with a top notch defense the Patriots would dominate. That would be great but is it realistic to want what no other team has, a team with no weaknesses?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dig. I am still here FWIW. I am not saying NE is a bad team. FCS ... they made it deep into the playoffs the year before and to the superbowl last season. Now people are committing suicide over the Ravens loss on the road with your third best offensive player out of the game. 

New England is an elite team. The defense is not terrible, it's just been terrible at defending certain situations the last few seasons. And they have been simply the worst 3rd down defense I have seen in NE the past few seasons. As it stands ... they aren't trustworthy with the game on the line, close, late because that is exactly what they do so poorly. Better corners, better rushers ... six of one half a dozen of the other ... you know?

Let's see how the kids develop this season before we get all bent out of shape. Last week, though, would be a major stepback. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Last week was certainly a step back albeit against a good team on the road. Let's hope it was just a bad game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Other team's can only go at our corners because there is no pass rush to speak of, at least not since game one, and because we've limited the snaps of our defensive tackles.  I love how people believe that pass coverage happens in a vacuum.

Have or do any of you actually count the number of seconds from the moment the center snaps the ball until the ball leaves the opposing QB's hand.  When we run the four man front with linebacker's playing at defensive end the opposing QB has all day, their runningbacks have more success.  This isn't because Wilfork has forgotten how to play nose tackle, really, get a grip.  It's because there are five offensive linemen handling two guys their own size and the two largest O Linemen, the tackles, only have to deal with 250-270 pound linebackers who are lining up directly across from them.  This is a complete mismatch.

I understand why BB may be employing this lineup, it keeps the big guys healthy over a season which is always a challenge, it keeps big plays in front of the defense and is a version of "bend don't break."  That being said I grind my teeth every time I see it rolled out there on 1st and ten.  

BB won't use Ridely 30 carries a game for the same reason, to keep him healthy for the playoff's. Stinks for the fantasy footballers among us who want to draft Patriots to our fantasy teams, but when he is averaging 20+ carries in the playoffs because he is fresh we'll all be cheering.  

Last season BB ran this four man nickel hybrid front for almost the entire regular season, when the playoffs were a couple weeks away he started running more 3/4 and the D tightened up and only allowed 17 points per game.  The current defense is substantially more young and talented; they're faster to the ball and should be mightily improved over last year's D on third downs, especially when we start playing more 3/4 in the playoffs.  

I'm sure many of you will stick to the "our player's sux" premise and when the playoffs roll around and our defense (surprisingly?) improves dramatically and you'll find all sorts of ridiculous reasons why our defense is better, but the reality is BB doesn't care about stats, only wins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last week was certainly a step back albeit against a good team on the road. Let's hope it was just a bad game.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Losing to the Ravens, on the road, with poor officiating. I can live with that in week 3. Let's wait before we start climbing the Tobin Bridge. 

I'll just restate my point to be done ... standing Jones up won't make a lick of a difference. Better corner play will.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Other team's can only go at our corners because there is no pass rush to speak of, at least not since game one, and because we've limited the snaps of our defensive tackles.  I love how people believe that pass coverage happens in a vacuum.

Have or do any of you actually count the number of seconds from the moment the center snaps the ball until the ball leaves the opposing QB's hand.  When we run the four man front with linebacker's playing at defensive end the opposing QB has all day, their runningbacks have more success.  This isn't because Wilfork has forgotten how to play nose tackle, really, get a grip.  It's because there are five offensive linemen handling two guys their own size and the two largest O Linemen, the tackles, only have to deal with 250-270 pound linebackers who are lining up directly across from them.  This is a complete mismatch.

I understand why BB may be employing this lineup, it keeps the big guys healthy over a season which is always a challenge, it keeps big plays in front of the defense and is a version of "bend don't break."  That being said I grind my teeth every time I see it rolled out there on 1st and ten.  

BB won't use Ridely 30 carries a game for the same reason, to keep him healthy for the playoff's. Stinks for the fantasy footballers among us who want to draft Patriots to our fantasy teams, but when he is averaging 20+ carries in the playoffs because he is fresh we'll all be cheering.  

Last season BB ran this four man nickel hybrid front for almost the entire regular season, when the playoffs were a couple weeks away he started running more 3/4 and the D tightened up and only allowed 17 points per game.  The current defense is substantially more young and talented; they're faster to the ball and should be mightily improved over last year's D on third downs, especially when we start playing more 3/4 in the playoffs.  

I'm sure many of you will stick to the "our player's sux" premise and when the playoffs roll around and our defense (surprisingly?) improves dramatically and you'll find all sorts of ridiculous reasons why our defense is better, but the reality is BB doesn't care about stats, only wins.

[/QUOTE]

I agree BB doesn't care about stats, only wins. However when you say that, you're proving some things you say wrong, like the use of Ridley and resting other players for the playoffs. Do you really think BB is thinking about the rest of players for the playoffs three months from now? Do notice how he uses Wilfork? This guy almost never comes off the field. Never. In fact it's almost down right abusive to his health the way they use him. Why do they do that? Because he's the best they have. 

And what is it with saying this defense is faster than last years? They basically changed the defense by adding two players that needed to replace two they lost...Carter and Anderson. Carter was fast enough and no one was faster than Anderson. Other than that, it's the same linebackers...Mayo is still Mayo and Spikes is still Spikes. Hightower maybe is replacing Fletcher and truthfully Fletcher may of been faster (not as good though). You would have to go back to 07 when discussing a lack of speed on defense - the problem recently hasn't been speed, it's been they are not good enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree BB doesn't care about stats, only wins. However when you say that, you're proving some things you say wrong, like the use of Ridley and resting other players for the playoffs. Do you really think BB is thinking about the rest of players for the playoffs three months from now? Do notice how he uses Wilfork? This guy almost never comes off the field. Never. In fact it's almost down right abusive to his health the way they use him. Why do they do that? Because he's the best they have. 

And what is it with saying this defense is faster than last years? They basically changed the defense by adding two players that needed to replace two they lost...Carter and Anderson. Carter was fast enough and no one was faster than Anderson. Other than that, it's the same linebackers...Mayo is still Mayo and Spikes is still Spikes. Hightower maybe is replacing Fletcher and truthfully Fletcher may of been faster (not as good though). You would have to go back to 07 when discussing a lack of speed on defense - the problem recently hasn't been speed, it's been they are not good enough.

[/QUOTE] RB's pass rush, CB's and O line all looked pretty dominant for a bunch of no talent hacks. Bill Belichick sure is disguising the heck out of this talent deprived team. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

^lol

Tavon Wilson, Hightower, Jones as well as free agents have made this D much faster to the ball.  Today, just like the past two games, is another reason why another D tackle is needed but won't be seen much until the playoffs, they can win regular season games without one.  They'll give up a ton of yards but will still win.  It is certainly frustrating in close games but fun when we pull away from the other team and get to watch them T off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

How come thats not true for 49ers. they were bad defence under singeltery and suddenly became #1 under harbaugh? 

Why are we not seeing the same here. There are gaps in talent at some spots but which team doesnt? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I have to wonder how much the re-positioning of the Refs' has to do with lack of pass rush? With the ref behind the QB is gives IMO the O line men a advantage to hold more and not be seen. Arrington needs to learn to wrap up and tackle better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Blame Belichick all you want for the defensive game plan, but until they get guys who can rush, they aren't going to get a pass rush no matter how they line these guys up.   

[/QUOTE]

That is this forum in a nutshell. 

Anyone who claims they are watching games and doesn't note (easily) how the *most basic* game plan that other teams use against NE is to attack the corners early and often, is being disingenuous. I mean, it's out there ... NE can be had by going over their corners. It works again and again and again. 

[/QUOTE]

z where have you been, when i watch a game and point it out even while it happens, 10-15 or more come out of the woodwork claiming im seeing things (but in much unfriendlier terms). 

when a couple people on teh board post things that they can see (that may be unpopular or popular) that most apparently cannot 9or maybe  a few just wont admit), it's like someone broke the rule that you cant say the emporor has no clothes. and it's refreshing.

re:  ". NE can be had by going over their corners. It works again and again and again. "

in fact, when they go away from that, they are usually doing so to the detriment of their effort to beat us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sam0377's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How come thats not true for 49ers. they were bad defence under singeltery and suddenly became #1 under harbaugh? 

Why are we not seeing the same here. There are gaps in talent at some spots but which team doesnt? 

[/QUOTE]

harbaugh has always been a good coach. so good in fact i feared what team he would go to when he came to the nfl.

last year he was teh best coach in the league (poorly performing team, no trainging camp and changes them overnight to maybe the best team in teh league who giants were lucky to get 2 gimme tunovers).

at what he does best, hes at least bb's equal (though he doesnt do all that bb can of course).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I still contend that this is the real problem with the D, it's this soft scheme, not the players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thought the front seven played pretty well.  Lynch was hardly a factor and they did get some pressure on the QB at times. The fact is, the secondary continues to struggle.  There's no way around it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Two sacks were a result of Wilson holding the ball too long.  Wilson maybe got touched 5 times all game, he had a near perfect rating 3 TD's with zero picks.  We're one of the worst teams in the league at pressure and sacks, that's a stat not an opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Two sacks were a result of Wilson holding the ball too long.  Wilson maybe got touched 5 times all game, he had a near perfect rating 3 TD's with zero picks.  We're one of the worst teams in the league at pressure and sacks, that's a stat not an opinion.

[/QUOTE]

Woz, I wish we had blitzed more in this game.  I had the same impression that Wilson wasn't making his decisions fast enough and blitzes would therefore have worked.  I have a feeling Spikes could have blitzed up the middle all day.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There were times Spikes blitzed up the middle and was met by a guard, more to my point about getting another tackle on the field.  

Our pass rush with the four man front takes forever, if at all, to get to the QB.  3 D tackles could do the same job which would leave another linebacker available to blitz off the edge.  If BB wants to keep the four man front, fine, take Nincovich out of the end spot and put Deaderick or somebody bigger in there.  This would be the same as a 3/4 over strong alignment with, OLB Chandler Jones playing with his hand in the dirt rushing the passer.

Chandler Jones often commands a double team, Ninc can be obliterated by a single offensive tackle, our DB's have to hold on forever to get a coverage sack up front.  I believe BB is out thinking himself in this instance, he should listen to Bill Parcells who told him in the preseason get back to being a defensive coach.  Get back to the 3/4 defense.

Sections
Shortcuts