Belichick talks football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Belichick talks football

Cole: Jimmy Johnson once said, if you don’t take too many risks, you can win nine or 10 games a year.

Belichick:
    Jimmy probably said the same thing to you that he once said to me: “You’re really only competing with about 10 teams a year. If you just say out of the way, the other 20 teams will *screw it up themselves. Whether it’s ownership or personnel or coaching or some combination of factors.” Ego, internal struggle, something will happen to two-thirds of the teams, that was Jimmy’s theory. That leaves you with about 10 teams that you’re going to have to really battle with. Those teams have it together. They’re going to make good decisions and if you play bad football, they’re going to take advantage of it. They’re going to find some undrafted guy or some middle-round pick or some veteran free agent who is going to spark their team. Pittsburgh is always going to be there. Indianapolis is always going to be there. They may not win it, but they’ll be there. You’re going to have to beat them. Philadelphia is going to be there. Yeah, [quarterback Donovan] McNabb might get hurt one year and they might go 7-9, but they’re going to be there. You’re still battling them on every front.

This was something Belichick said in a quick interview today. And its some really good insight from someone who knows the game. Taking what he just said who would you guys say are the ten teams we are fighting with this year for the championship?

Here is my 10 not including the Patriots
    The Colts (they are in it year in and year out)
    The Steelers (They have been winning and are the defending champs)
    The Vikings (Jared Allen has been lights out and that offense is no joke)
    The Bangels (I know its unlikely that they keep playing so well but I think they have a shot)
    The Cowboys (I have this feeling that the Boys have found themselves and will continue to get better)
    The Eagles (They are off and on this year but have looked really good at times)
    The Bronco's (I like their coach and their style and think they are legit)
    The Saints (The Saints are the NFC super bowl team if you ask me)
    The Ravens (They can still be a tough team if they get into the playoffs)
    The Chargers (I am not sold on the bolts one bit but was having a hard time picking my last team so they got it)

These are not in any order just tried getting them down so they are not in any order. What do you think are the ten teams we are fighting it out with this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Re: Belichick talks football

Interesting read, but now for my 10.

Steelers
    Vikings
    Ravens
    Giants
    Eagles
    Colts
    Saints
    Falcons
    Cardinals
    Bengals

Notice I left off the Broncos and the Chargers; Broncos aren't as good as their record indicates and the Chargers are always having problems getting their act together.  The Cowboys just have too much difficulty not getting upset at each other and apparently expect everyone to roll over for them.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Belichick talks football:
    [QUOTE]Cole: Jimmy Johnson once said, if you don’t take too many risks, you can win nine or 10 games a year. Belichick: Jimmy probably said the same thing to you that he once said to me: “You’re really only competing with about 10 teams a year. If you just say out of the way, the other 20 teams will *screw it up themselves. Whether it’s ownership or personnel or coaching or some combination of factors.” Ego, internal struggle, something will happen to two-thirds of the teams, that was Jimmy’s theory. That leaves you with about 10 teams that you’re going to have to really battle with. Those teams have it together. They’re going to make good decisions and if you play bad football, they’re going to take advantage of it. They’re going to find some undrafted guy or some middle-round pick or some veteran free agent who is going to spark their team. Pittsburgh is always going to be there. Indianapolis is always going to be there. They may not win it, but they’ll be there. You’re going to have to beat them. Philadelphia is going to be there. Yeah, [quarterback Donovan] McNabb might get hurt one year and they might go 7-9, but they’re going to be there. You’re still battling them on every front. This was something Belichick said in a quick interview today. And its some really good insight from someone who knows the game. Taking what he just said who would you guys say are the ten teams we are fighting with this year for the championship? Here is my 10 not including the Patriots The Colts (they are in it year in and year out) The Steelers (They have been winning and are the defending champs) The Vikings (Jared Allen has been lights out and that offense is no joke) The Bangels (I know its unlikely that they keep playing so well but I think they have a shot) The Cowboys (I have this feeling that the Boys have found themselves and will continue to get better) The Eagles (They are off and on this year but have looked really good at times) The Bronco's (I like their coach and their style and think they are legit) The Saints (The Saints are the NFC super bowl team if you ask me) The Ravens (They can still be a tough team if they get into the playoffs) The Chargers (I am not sold on the bolts one bit but was having a hard time picking my last team so they got it) These are not in any order just tried getting them down so they are not in any order. What do you think are the ten teams we are fighting it out with this year?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

The usual suspects. Pitt, Indy, Denver, Balt, S.D.(Cincy and Houston may make things interesting). I'll worry about the NFC if we get that far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

The Falcons are a good pick and teh Cards are an alright pick but I think the point was some teams destroy themselves and I consider the Cards one of those teams. The Cowboys I feel like are starting to mesh and to me they are the best team in teh NFC East right now. I did not want to pick teh Chargers but i was drawing a blank.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Are we predicting who will continue to be good after this year?  Because I don't think Cincinatti qualifies as a team that stays out of its own way... Nor do the Cowboys with Romo at QB.

Stalwarts of the past decade:
    -Patriots
    -Steelers
    -Colts
    -Ravens
    -Eagles

Teams that were good most of the time:
    -Chargers (consistently won the division and fielded talented teams... but they definitely beat themselves due to poor coaching)
    -Broncos (under Shanahan, they ran the ball and played fundamentally sound; under McDaniels, they execute the short passing game, get yards after the catch, and play fast defense)
    -Panthers (WERE good before Delhomme died)
    -Seahawks (Losing Steve Hutchinson and Walter Jones in short succession really highlights how quickly things can change in the NFL)

Teams that I see growing into teams that you have to beat (that won't beat themselves):
    -Falcons (bright future with Matt Ryan at QB)
    -49ers (Mike Singletary is my favorite coach in the league not named Bill Belichick)
    -Dolphins (They play tough and control possession)
    -Cardinals (especially if Wells can run the ball and Dockett can keep playing DT at an All-Pro level)

And yes, Jints, I neglected the Giants, who were only good for HALF of a decade.  When they're on, they're unstoppable, but without Brandon Jacobs performing and without Plaxico Burress, they only fly as far as an Eli Manning duck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Saints, Vikings, Eagles, Broncos, and possibly the Chargers, Giants, and Ravens. These last three have not been consistent, and would need to fix a few things by Thanksgiving. The first seven I think will win their respective divisions. The NFC west I think doesn't matter, as whatever team makes it is bound to stumble in the postseason. The Cards got hot last year late, I think they lost too much coaching wise to repeat it. The Vikings and Eagles will depend on their QBs. Favre may run out of gas, and McNabb is oft injured. I like the Saints in the NFC because they have a gravy schedule, and are tough to play at home. Should they get homefield I can't see anyone bouncing them this year. The Patriots will have to beat the Colts, homefield will be a huge factor should they meet in January. The Broncos may find it tough to go all the way, but I'd definitely put them as serious contenders for next season. November is the month to start getting it all together. In another four weeks the picture should be a lot clearer. I cannot take the Cowboys seriously until I see Romo shake off his December funk. The Colts may also be in some trouble with their recent losses on defense. And the Ravens could sneak up on the pack. But these ten teams seem to have their management on board, and any of them could conceivably make it to Miami this winter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick talks football:
    [QUOTE]Interesting read, but now for my 10. Steelers Vikings Ravens Giants Eagles Colts Saints Falcons Cardinals Bengals Notice I left off the Broncos and the Chargers; Broncos aren't as good as their record indicates and the Chargers are always having problems getting their act together.  The Cowboys just have too much difficulty not getting upset at each other and apparently expect everyone to roll over for them.  
    Posted by jasonh86[/QUOTE]
     Can't count the falcons, cardinals and saints as part of the top 10 perennial contenders. Both have sukked for decades and just recently got it together to be contending.

Sections
Shortcuts