***Belichick the GM: Strengths and Weaknesses***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***Belichick the GM: Strengths and Weaknesses***

A lof of conflicting dialogue around BB and his ability as a GM... below are what I feel his strengths and weaknesses are... feel free to add/dispute/comment:

Strengths:  

• Strong history of hitting on solid players in Rd 1.
    • Solid at identifying, drafting and developing OL/DL talent/contributors.
    • Good at finding late round, URFA players that can contribute.  The minimal cost of these players provides financial flexibility and allows them to allocate funds elsewhere.
    • Good at building roster depth.  Even with injuries, some significant (TB, VW, Mayo, Gronk, etc), they remain competitive.
    • Has done well with identifying/drafting/developing quality TE talent.
    • 2010-2013 drafts have yielded solid contributors/starters.

Weaknesses:

• A lot of misses on day 2.
    • Inconsistent at identifying/drafting/developing solid/good WR's and DB's.  Better as of late.
    • 2006/2007 drafts were horrible, a little better in 2008 (Mayo/Slater) and 2009 (Vollmer/Edelman), but still not good.

Mixed bag:

• Trades... some have worked (Moss, Welker, Dillon, Talib, Blout, etc.), so have not (Haynesworth, Chad Johnson, Doug Gabrield, etc.)
    • Some trade downs in the draft have yielded solid returns, others, not so much.
    • FA signings.  I don't have the exact hit rate, but they were better earlier in his NE tenure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: ***Belichick the GM: Strengths and Weaknesses***

MB

BB is not perfect but overall his role as coach and GM has served the Pats well creating a seemless transition between the aquisition of talent and development of it. This point cannot be overstated and this syncronous role has allowed Pats teams to get better each year as the season progressses. Finishing strong has become the Pats trademark.

Also, while 2006 and 2007 are seen as low points it is important to remember we made trades of draft picks in 2007 to acquire once in a lifetime elite talent (Moss, Welker) which produced the only 16 game win regular season in the history of the NFL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ostensibly, my adjustments....

Strengths:  

• Solid at identifying, drafting and developing OL/DL talent/contributors.
    • Good at finding late round, URFA players that can contribute.  The minimal cost of these players provides financial flexibility and allows them to allocate funds elsewhere.
    • Trades...

Weaknesses:

• A lot of misses on day 2.
    • Inconsistent at identifying/drafting/developing solid/good WR's and DB's.  Better as of late.
    • 2006/2007 drafts were horrible, a little better in 2008 (Mayo/Slater) and 2009 (Vollmer/Edelman), but still not good. Mediocre drafter.
    • Dumpster dives too much in free agency.

Mixed bag:

• Some trade downs in the draft have yielded solid returns, others, not so much.
    • Decent history of hitting on solid players in Rd 1.
    • Has done okay with identifying/drafting/developing quality TE talent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

06' was a pretty bad draft.

07' I'll give him credit for Welker and Moss but people tend to forget he still had 9 picks that year and not a single 1 panned out. That was a rough year

08' Mayo was a top 10 pick so you'd hope he do good and Slater in the 5th for a STer is good but in general that draft wasn't all that great

09'  was just bad, 6 day 2 picks and all we got out of it was 1 RT with back problems? That's rough. Edelman was good but really only had 1 year and if he signs somewhere else that draft yielded 1 player currently on the team

10' was just another number games. It started to look great but things feel apart quickly. With 12 picks and only 2 still on the team after 4 years? That's a huge knock out rate regardless of reason. You don't need to sign all but 2 of 12 when you had 5 picks in the first 2 days?

11' Looks much better so far, 3 solid players in Cannon, Vereen, Ridley, and 1 starter we hope can stay healthy in Solder. If they get something for Mallett then this draft looks better but next offseason will be very telling how many we keep from this draft and if we get anything for any of them, much like the 10' draft class.

12' Is shaping up real well right now, lets hope it continues.

From 06-12' talking purely draft picks we have 1 draft looked pretty good, 2 drafts that are kind of ok but sad to see so many picks no longer on the team after 4 years and 4 drafts that just fell apart quickly. To me that's not that great of a record for drafting. I know many will argue that 10' class but to me if you have that many picks and that many high picks you need to get more from them and certainly should expect a couple more of those players to stick with the team past their rook contracts.

Sections
Shortcuts