Belichick, the media and "cheating"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Belichick, the media and "cheating"

Pats coach Bill Belichick has been featured quite a bit this year in the media.  Almost back to back issues in SI about his coaching.  Recently in USAToday about his decision to go for it on 4th down on the Pats' own 24 yard line.  When ever BB or the Pats is mentioned, you always have an immediate post that refers to cheating.  Well, how about this folks, especially those of you who constantly refer to Belichick as a cheater.....

In all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, has ANYONE ever heard ANY player say anything negative or that implies he cheats? There have been dozens and dozens of players that went through the Pats organization and then played for other teams. Some very respected players like Junior Seau, Willie McGinnist. You'd think at one time or another a player would come out and say something, even after retirement that something didn't seem right. Even players who may have an ax to grind. NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, not a word. Look how Seau has said he would only come back for BB and the Pats.  They all praise his coaching acumen and his abilty to get the best out of every player. Only fans cling to the unproven cheating as an excuse. Think about that!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Re: Belichick, the media and "cheating"

In Response to Belichick, the media and "cheating":
    Pats coach Bill Belichick has been featured quite a bit this year in the media.  Almost back to back issues in SI about his coaching.  Recently in USAToday about his decision to go for it on 4th down on the Pats' own 24 yard line.  When ever BB or the Pats is mentioned, you always have an immediate post that refers to cheating.  Well, how about this folks, especially those of you who constantly refer to Belichick as a cheater..... In all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, has ANYONE ever heard ANY player say anything negative or that implies he cheats? There have been dozens and dozens of players that went through the Pats organization and then played for other teams. Some very respected players like Junior Seau, Willie McGinnist. You'd think at one time or another a player would come out and say something, even after retirement that something didn't seem right. Even players who may have an ax to grind. NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, not a word. Look how Seau has said he would only come back for BB and the Pats.  They all praise his coaching acumen and his abilty to get the best out of every player. Only fans cling to the unproven cheating as an excuse. Think about that!
    Posted by agcsbill

Amen! Good post agcsbill. I  always thought the whole incident was much to do about nothing. As in Pro Basketball. most of the teams run basically the same plays. It comes down to who executes better. Ted Bruschi was a consumate-pro, and so was Junior Seau. Two guys who played the game right, no way these guys needed to, or would ever put up with cheating to win a game. Very good post!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Pats coach Bill Belichick has been featured quite a bit this year in the media.  Almost back to back issues in SI about his coaching.  Recently in USAToday about his decision to go for it on 4th down on the Pats' own 24 yard line.  When ever BB or the Pats is mentioned, you always have an immediate post that refers to cheating.  Well, how about this folks, especially those of you who constantly refer to Belichick as a cheater..... In all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, has ANYONE ever heard ANY player say anything negative or that implies he cheats? There have been dozens and dozens of players that went through the Pats organization and then played for other teams. Some very respected players like Junior Seau, Willie McGinnist. You'd think at one time or another a player would come out and say something, even after retirement that something didn't seem right. Even players who may have an ax to grind. NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, not a word. Look how Seau has said he would only come back for BB and the Pats.  They all praise his coaching acumen and his abilty to get the best out of every player. Only fans cling to the unproven cheating as an excuse. Think about that!
    Posted by agcsbill

agcsbill and ALL:

Someone once said of John Kennedy: "Historic people have historic flaws."  We at first think that it's an unfortunate sign of the times, that those "historic persons" are remembered and forever lambasted for any single mistep more than they are recollected for the grand total of their achievements...  But to a certain degree, it's always been this way.  In Ancient Greece, they used to imbibe their Heros in their narratives with trully awful accounts of suffering, these Heros committed atrocious acts (BB's act being "atrocious" is a misnomer)... My point is, when We see a famous person, a "Hero" if you will (someone much larger than the mass of men)-with a chink in their armour, It makes them much more tangible, more real...Suddenly the person and ALL their acts are within the Everyday person's grasp... That "Hero" and especially their acts which led to their fame, become less of an unattainable cardboard archetype and/or things we masses will never dream of having, things that we will never reach...  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

GQ magazine ran an article about the 20 biggest jerks (or something like that) in coaching. 

Yes, Belichick was on the list.  And so was my childhood coaching idol who was a significant # of places ahead of Belichick, Bob Knight. 

I think that both you (AGC) and Laz have it right.  Belichick does have the respect of his players and he does have major flaws.  This is very similar to Knight.  Where Belichick is concerned, as a guy who projects no personality, it is obvious that inside the closed doors of the locker room, he has a huge presence. 
    Belichick does what he does his way and he does not flinch from it.  He treats men like men and he treats the patriots as his business.  Emotion has no place.  Which begs the question.  Does Belichick ever bring up bulletin board material? 

Anyway, there seems to be no doubt that Belichick is considered the best mind in pro football, much the same way knight was at the time in college basketball.  So why all the other BS?  What's the point?  His brilliant mind (like other flawed brilliant minds) managed to get in the way of reality.  He may be the master of his domain, but his domain only exists as a part of a larger domain, and he chose not to participate in the rules of the larger domain.  Just like Knight.

Belichick will be loved and hated until he stops coaching at which time the hate will fade and the love will grow.  Currently IU is trying to bring Knight back to induct him into its hall of fame.  It is absolutely deserved, but the school has yet to hear from Knight.  As easy as it could be to be gracious and accept, Knight is currently keeping IU waiting (it has been several weeks) with his answer.  Clearly Knight's personality hasn't mellowed all that much.  I fear much the same with Belichick. 

What I also believe is that their flaws exist in the same place as their brilliance.  One (where only they are concerned) could not be had without the other.  Somehow guys like John Wooden were able to be excellent without the public flaws. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from progers1013. Show progers1013's posts

People who post stuff about BB and his "cheating" are ticked bacuse their teams get eliminated from the playoffs consistently year after year and they have to blame it on something. I like it because it means the Pats are a formidable team that people "hate" because they can win when it counts.

BB and crew - go for it Sunday against Baltimore and win! May you go for SB win #4 this February Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick, the media and "cheating":
    GQ magazine ran an article about the 20 biggest jerks (or something like that) in coaching.  Yes, Belichick was on the list.  And so was my childhood coaching idol who was a significant # of places ahead of Belichick, Bob Knight.  I think that both you (AGC) and Laz have it right.  Belichick does have the respect of his players and he does have major flaws.  This is very similar to Knight.  Where Belichick is concerned, as a guy who projects no personality, it is obvious that inside the closed doors of the locker room, he has a huge presence.  Belichick does what he does his way and he does not flinch from it.  He treats men like men and he treats the patriots as his business.  Emotion has no place.  Which begs the question.  Does Belichick ever bring up bulletin board material?  Anyway, there seems to be no doubt that Belichick is considered the best mind in pro football, much the same way knight was at the time in college basketball.  So why all the other BS?  What's the point?  His brilliant mind (like other flawed brilliant minds) managed to get in the way of reality.  He may be the master of his domain, but his domain only exists as a part of a larger domain, and he chose not to participate in the rules of the larger domain.  Just like Knight. Belichick will be loved and hated until he stops coaching at which time the hate will fade and the love will grow.  Currently IU is trying to bring Knight back to induct him into its hall of fame.  It is absolutely deserved, but the school has yet to hear from Knight.  As easy as it could be to be gracious and accept, Knight is currently keeping IU waiting (it has been several weeks) with his answer.  Clearly Knight's personality hasn't mellowed all that much.  I fear much the same with Belichick.  What I also believe is that their flaws exist in the same place as their brilliance.  One (where only they are concerned) could not be had without the other.  Somehow guys like John Wooden were able to be excellent without the public flaws. 
    Posted by underdogg

Bill B. has no flaws as a Coach. He minds his business and is not disrespectful to players, fans, or coaches. America needs more like him. Instead the country is being over populated with nitwits like Ryan of the Jets and loudmouth players and people who demostrate their lack of class everytime they open their mouths and prove that at best they are fools.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sammykd. Show Sammykd's posts

Underdogg,

Your post shows exactly how retarded you are.  Your hero, Knight, pulled all kinds of cowardly and childish actions, such as walking into his team's locker room with his pants around his ankles to show them toilet paper he had just used, claiming they had played like that. Those kids were on scholarships and had something to lose - otherwise, somebody would have given him the beating he richly deserves.

To equate Belichick with an inept moron like Bobby Knight shows how tenuous your grip on reality is.  Belichick is a pro.  Knight is a pathetic wannabe who would get massacred in the professional leagues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sammy - And yet as you note knights issues, he has the same kind of following among his players as bb.  How could that be?

Now, I ask, how would you know what Belichick is like behind closed doors.  Have you ever been granted that access via book or video?

By the same token players who outperform their contracts and want and deserve more are beholden to a non-caring belichick.  Just ask Asante Samuel. 

and just your simple description of knight as an inept moron demonstrates that you have no better grasp on objectivity than you think I do.  There would be much more to say here, and maybe I can get to it tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Sammy - And yet as you note knights issues, he has the same kind of following among his players as bb.  How could that be? Now, I ask, how would you know what Belichick is like behind closed doors.  Have you ever been granted that access via book or video? By the same token players who outperform their contracts and want and deserve more are beholden to a non-caring belichick.  Just ask Asante Samuel.  and just your simple description of knight as an inept moron demonstrates that you have no better grasp on objectivity than you think I do.  There would be much more to say here, and maybe I can get to it tonight.
    Posted by underdogg

You are so full of $ hit it is coming out of your ears. You act as though your opinion actually matters. Your weekly hatriot posts make everybody on this board hate you. GO PATS

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Laz:

Good point about the 'hero' needing to have warts and trials in order to become more approachable in our eyes. But to truly appreciate the "hero," one has to look at the entire heroic monomyth as laid out by Joseph Campbell which can be sum- med up as follows:

1/ Hero starts in an ordinary world and recieves a call/vocation/challenge to enter an unusual world of strange powers, characters, and events (call to adventure).

2/ If the Hero accepts the challenge/follows said vocation/answers the call to adventure, he/she must face tasks, trials, and tribulations - often alone - that will severely test that person to his/her physical/psychological/emotional core.

3/ If the Hero survives, he/she may achieve a great gift/goal/boon which often results in great self knowledge which may be used to improve the world.

In other words, a Hero's warts and defects should make such a figure easier to understand and appreciate - but let us not forget the rest of the process or monomyth that made that person a Hero in the first place.

u.d.

Since Bob Knight is still one of my heroes - yes, I'm not perfect - and having followed his career since he was a player at Ohio State with the great John H, Jerry Lucas, and Larry Siegfried: I can tell you that he is one of those guys that is not easy to like (even at his nicest, some people are just like that), but when you become his friend, you've got one for life. Except for the chair throwing incident, most of the other incidents cited against him can be described as "he said-they said affairs."

I'll give you a prime example told to me by local residents that I've known for many years who were not necessarily pro-USA, simply fair people who called it as they saw it. When Knight and the US basketball team entered the Robinson School gym to use their allotted practice time, they found the Brazilian women's team lounging around the court and flirting with one of the cops assigned to secure the area. Knight asked the Brazilians to leave the court, reminding them that their allotted time to use it was up - the Brazilians objected, and the local cop (supposedly sweet on one of the players, according to my source), came up to Knight more in the style of someone wanting to start a street fight and started to repeatedly shove and insult Knight - at which point, Knight decked him. BTW, this was generally acknowledged in the local media; but being in Latin America (even though PR is a US colony), the slant was that Bob Knight is an imperialist, capitalist, anglo pig who overstepped his authority. Now, it doesn't help that Bob Knight is very old school in a lot of things, particularly politics, which would not make him palatable to a large segment of the US media.

Now as to another one of my heroes, John Wooden: he had to face a lot of excrement from fans and the media claiming that he couldn't win the "big one." Yes, it took him 15 years to "get it right," but when he did: look out world! So, even the Wizard of Westwood had to go through his own sea of naysayers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Belichick truly has the quiet strength to never complain and never explain.  He realizes that such behavior is only to feed the ego of the individual who is speaking and is not in the best interest of the team.  

The media and opposing fans would rather he be a whining excuse making loser instead of the confident purpose driven manager that he is.  His players love him because he is a straight shooter and a winner. 

He does not act any thing like that loudmouth self centered Bobby Knight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Folks, please, from one Pats fan to another. If you keep on quoting underdogg, then you keep defeating the ignore function that we all praised when it returned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmorecityboy. Show bmorecityboy's posts

What Belichick and the Pats did was not cheating.   Everybody has been trying to get an edge by filming or watching their opponets practices since the beginning of the sport. My teams did it in high school and college. It is just another example of the media over kill. The media in this country takes things to that next level and beyond. Tho Commiss had to respond, nut it has been going on forever. Belichick and the Pats were the first ones to get caught.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I'm old enough to remember when the sports media said Gren Bay Packer couch Vince Lombardi was a complete jerk.
      They used to love showing videos of Lombardi screaming at his players and they would spread rumors about how QB Bart Starr hated him etc.

Now the Superbowl trophy is named after him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Why perpetuate this BS, Bill ? I'm crazy for Belichick, I know what he is and isn't and don't feel compelled to prove anything to the envious, hateful masses. Please, STFU about "cheating". Geezuz..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

Posted by agcsbill

There has been clear evidence that he cheated. The NFL even fined him for it. However, the NFL did distroy the tapes which is very low on their part. Eric Mangini who worked for him will tell you that Bellcheck cheated. That's common knowledge now dude. Trying to defend him is pointless. As fans we tend to forget everything when a coach or a team wins. The facts are the facts. That will always put an (*) by the 3 Bellicheck superbowls. Kurt Warner and the Rams felt betrayed by the league when the tapes were destroyed. What the Pats team lead by Tom Brady did in 2007 to support their coach when he got clearly caught red-handed, was very low. It told people a lot about the integrity of the franchise. Bellicheck did not need to cheat. He was  already a good coach, but his legacy is not tainted. As to your point about his players not speaking about him. There is a unspoken code in pro-football that you don't talk against your team or coach. That is of course until they retire.  Steve Curson of the Steel Curtain Pittsburgh steelers didn't talk about steroid abuse in the Steelers organization until 20+ years later, but everyone knew those guys were juiced.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Belichick, the media and "cheating" : There has been clear evidence that he cheated. The NFL even fined him for it. However, the NFL did distroy the tapes which is very low on their part. Eric Mangini who worked for him will tell you that Bellcheck cheated. That's common knowledge now dude. Trying to defend him is pointless. As fans we tend to forget everything when a coach or a team wins. The facts are the facts. That will always put an (*) by the 3 Bellicheck superbowls. Kurt Warner and the Rams felt betrayed by the league when the tapes were destroyed. What the Pats team lead by Tom Brady did in 2007 to support their coach when he got clearly caught red-handed, was very low. It told people a lot about the integrity of the franchise. Bellicheck did not need to cheat. He was  already a good coach, but his legacy is not tainted. As to your point about his players not speaking about him. There is a unspoken code in pro-football that you don't talk against your team or coach. That is of course until they retire.  Steve Curson of the Steel Curtain Pittsburgh steelers didn't talk about steroid abuse in the Steelers organization until 20+ years later, but everyone knew those guys were juiced.
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid
    Leon,this whole cheating thing is getting really old.You need a new angle dude.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I promised myself I wasn't going to respond to any more of this Spygate boolsheet.

But I am a notorious liar.

The question I always have is this:

If the tapes actually proved that the Patriots got a clear and decisive advantage over other teams who filmed from approved locations, why were they destroyed? Does it make sense to you that evidence which substantiates the bold claim you are making and the outrageous penalty you hand down should then be eradicated without anyone seeing it but Goody and his henchmen?

Simple logic tells me that the only reason you would destroy this supposedly clear and irrefutible evidence is because it didn't support your arbitrary scapegoating of the New England franchise for using tactics common throughout the league, and needed to be destroyed before anybody got a look at it and was able to see firsthand what a conniving tool the commissioner is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick, the media and "cheating" : Leon,this whole cheating thing is getting really old.You need a new angle dude.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-

I don't have a clue who Leon is, but you responded to my post so here goes:

Let me ask you this. If it was John Harbaugh who got caught cheating, you'd be all over it every time. Put your fanaticism aside and look at it for what it is: cheating. Don't be like Eagles fans embracing a convicted criminal only because he joined their team. It is what it is. It's no fun when it involves the team you love and follow, but the facts are facts: he cheated. Does not make Pats fans lesser of a fan, but it makes us non-Pats fans disrespect your franchise, and you can't help that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

People who post stuff about BB and his "cheating" are ticked bacuse their teams get eliminated from the playoffs consistently year after year and they have to blame it on something. I like it because it means the Pats are a formidable team that people "hate" because they can win when it counts. BB and crew - go for it Sunday against Baltimore and win! May you go for SB win #4 this February
    Posted by progers1013

LoL ... it is cheating and not "cheating", it does not matter how you try to polish a turd like Bellicheat he will always be a turd. If the NFL does not destroy those tapes, we'd have clear evidence that the 3 Superbowls were a fraud. Is it a coincidence they were all won by a 3 point margin?

The support for Bellicheat only makes your argument weak. Accepting cheating makes you no better than him. I'd rather lose every time but maintain my integrity rather than cheat to compensate for a miserable personality.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrantW. Show GrantW's posts

Who cares if BB was caught cheating, it was the media making a much larger story out of something small in the grand scheme of things. Spygate received double the media coverage as Ray Lewis the murderer or Vick the dog killer. Plus if you want to tell me BB was the only one stealing signals in the NFL, then you're too ignorant to be on these boards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: Belichick, the media and "cheating" : I don't have a clue who Leon is, but you responded to my post so here goes: Let me ask you this. If it was John Harbaugh who got caught cheating, you'd be all over it every time. Put your fanaticism aside and look at it for what it is: cheating. Don't be like Eagles fans embracing a convicted criminal only because he joined their team. It is what it is. It's no fun when it involves the team you love and follow, but the facts are facts: he cheated. Does not make Pats fans lesser of a fan, but it makes us non-Pats fans disrespect your franchise, and you can't help that.
    Posted by PurpleKoolaid
    No, I wouldn't care.Just like when Miami stole our calls.Read this and maybe you'll understand     http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2006/12/dolphins_blast_.html                                     
    They admit to stealing calls from taped games,they also admit every team does it.Enough said.BTW,BB helped your coach get his job.Your owner Steve Bisciotti consulted BB on who he should hire and BB endorsed Harbaugh.LOL.Don't beleive me? look it up fool.I know more about your team than you do.Harbaugh and BB are also good friends stemming from their backgrounds in special teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

As I read through this thread I couldn't believe how civil it was. U-dogg and Bmore and all of the Pats fans actually getting along????

Then there's PK. A jealous D-bottle from a dead sports town who has tons of loyalty and support but nowhere to put it but a second rate franchise who got lucky one year.
    What they did was against the rules, they were warned and it continued and they got caught thanks to Mangini making them aware of it. (FTR, Mangini only did it because he was publicly trashed by BB and the Pats organization for the way he left NE and wanted to get back at the old boss) 

This was a common practice done by all and if you truly think the Pats were the only ones doing it I'm making a mistake even trying to communicate with you.

Let me ask you this? Why do coaches calling in plays still cover their mouths today?
    Because my guess is it's still being done and none of this would have ever come up if not for a maggot with no head coaching talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The people who buy into spygate are some of the stupidest fans in football. The garbage they spew out on this board is repulsive. They really know nothing about the game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PurpleKoolaid. Show PurpleKoolaid's posts

Who cares if BB was caught cheating, it was the media making a much larger story out of something small in the grand scheme of things. Spygate received double the media coverage as Ray Lewis the murderer or Vick the dog killer. Plus if you want to tell me BB was the only one stealing signals in the NFL, then you're too ignorant to be on these boards.
    Posted by GrantW

Ray Lewis and Michael Vick issues were off the field.  As far as Lewis is concerned he was never convicted of murdering anyone, so you are the ignorant. Bellichick was slapped with a fine because he cheated in FOOTBALL. What he does with his personal life it is not my problem. I don't worship Lewis, Vick or Bellichick. I'm not looking for role models. But if someone cheats in the game where fans are emotionally and monetarily involved he should be banned for life. Bellichick got a slap on the wrist. If Lewis or Vick did something that effects the society they should pay for it according to the Law. The Law did not convict Ray Lewis of murdering anyone. I don't like/dislike/respect/disrespect Ray Lewis as a person. I couldn't care less about his private life. But if he cheats in the game of football I would want him to be fined and banned for life. Same with Michael Vick. He paid with prison time for what he did. I don't like him as a person, but he did not cheat in football like Bellichick did. And If I'm a Rams or Eagles fan, I will question those Superbowl losses and won't ever forget about a cheater that took memories away from them, while giving false and fraudulant victories to NE fans.

Sections
Shortcuts