Belichick whiffs in the 3rd again...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Belichick whiffs in the 3rd again...

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to CubanPete's comment:

[QUOTE]

With Ryan and Harmon struggling in camp, Belichick's impressive record of 3rd round failures continues.

Patriots 3rd round 2000-2013

It is what it is.

What you seem to be forgetting is when you have a good, perennial playoff team, the talent level on that team is so high, third round picks are just camp fodder.

[/QUOTE]

What you seem to be forgetting is that without Brady at QB and BB as HC this team would not be a perennial playoff team. The talent level of the team minus that QB and HC isn't that high at all. Mediocre.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

With Ryan and Harmon struggling in camp, Belichick's impressive record of 3rd round failures continues.

It is what it is. 

Cuban...you just don't get it! The third round is a waste of time, you see. No team is ever successful in taking a player in that round. So, BB should never be held accountable for making worthless selections in the 3rd round. Capisce?? Just ask the following two homers who point out the above described truth in drafting:  

Getzo says, and APpats21 agrees, with the following: "So who has been great at drafting players in the thrid round in that span?  Pffftt..."

Got it, Cuban? So, you are to disregard the fact that players such as WR Mike Wallace, CB Lardarius Webb, OG Marshal Yanda, WR Brandon Marshall, DT Darnell Dockett, Atlanta starting MLB Akeem Dent, and starting FS Thomas Decoud, Carolina DE Charles Johnson, LB Lance Briggs, Cincinnati DE Michael Johnson, and WR Mohamed Sanu, TE Jason Witten, TE Jermichael Finley, Kansas City Chiefs' starting OG, Jon Asamoah, RB Jamaal Charles, and OLB Justin Houston, TE Jimmy Graham, DE Justin Tuck, Raiders' starting LT, Jared Veldheer, Chargers' starting center, Nick Hardwick, LB NaVorro Bowman, QB Russell Wilson, Titans' starting RT, David Stewart, and DT Jurrell Casey...were all third round selections. 

My fine hombre from Havana, let me close with something that my father once told me. He said, "Son, never argue with with an idiot. No matter how right you are, or how many facts you can point to which support your position, you will never convince him. Your time would be equally served if you went outside and argued with a fence post." 

After years on this forum in which I've defended my thoughts on the Pats against Patriots' homers, I now know that my Dad was right...LOL!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

^Tex, many of those players would be labeled busts on the Patriots with their injury histories.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

^Tex, many of those players would be labeled busts on the Patriots with their injury histories.

Really? Please name which of these "many" players listed above, who you would label as "busts"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

give it 3 years to assess to see if a bust. But then again, if cut before season starts, then it might be considered a whiff

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Really? Please name which of these "many" players listed above, who you would label as "busts"?

Just my poor attempt at humor Tex. Many of those players would fit nicely in a Patriots uniform.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

There are a few names on the list I wouldn't consider "whiffs" but to be objective we don't know what Mallett, Bequette, Harmon and Ryan are going to be.

Ridley certainly is not a "whiff".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Third rounders have mixed success.  Some end up good players, but the majority end up as roster filler.  To judge BB's success with third rounders, you'd have to look at all his picks, calculate the percentage that ended up being good players and then compare that to the percentage of third round picks overall who turned out to be good players.  That's a heck of a lot more work than I'm willing to do right now, but if someone wants to give it a shot, it would be a great contribution to the board.  My guess is that BB's success in the third round is probably about average.  But it's just a guess because I haven't done the research required to make a truly informed judgment. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

Wow! You're willing to make a decision this fast on rookies? 

There is a ton of time before the season for them to improve. Did I mention they're rookies! If this was year 3 for them it would be a different story.

DBs can be judged rather quickly. I remember Pete Carroll's staff worring about Chris Canty after he was constantly getting burned by undrafted WRs in May rookie camp.

I remember Ellis Hobbs giving up big plays in preseason games in his rookie year.

The ability to cover is like being pregnant. Either you have it or you don't. Ryan is getting torched on a regular basis. Harmon was a reach. BB could have drafted a QB with that pick as there were 3 available that passed the 27 starts/60% Comp criteria.

Additional note: Brandon Tate was taken over Mike Wallace (the next pick) in 2009. Ooops.

What about Ryan Mallet and Steven Ridley? Are those guys considered failures? What running back drafted after Ridley has performed better?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It is what it is. 

Cuban...you just don't get it! The third round is a waste of time, you see. No team is ever successful in taking a player in that round. So, BB should never be held accountable for making worthless selections in the 3rd round. Capisce?? Just ask the following two homers who point out the above described truth in drafting:  

Getzo says, and APpats21 agrees, with the following: "So who has been great at drafting players in the thrid round in that span?  Pffftt..."

Got it, Cuban? So, you are to disregard the fact that players such as WR Mike Wallace, CB Lardarius Webb, OG Marshal Yanda, WR Brandon Marshall, DT Darnell Dockett, Atlanta starting MLB Akeem Dent, and starting FS Thomas Decoud, Carolina DE Charles Johnson, LB Lance Briggs, Cincinnati DE Michael Johnson, and WR Mohamed Sanu, TE Jason Witten, TE Jermichael Finley, Kansas City Chiefs' starting OG, Jon Asamoah, RB Jamaal Charles, and OLB Justin Houston, TE Jimmy Graham, DE Justin Tuck, Raiders' starting LT, Jared Veldheer, Chargers' starting center, Nick Hardwick, LB NaVorro Bowman, QB Russell Wilson, Titans' starting RT, David Stewart, and DT Jurrell Casey...were all third round selections. 

My fine hombre from Havana, let me close with something that my father once told me. He said, "Son, never argue with with an idiot. No matter how right you are, or how many facts you can point to which support your position, you will never convince him. Your time would be equally served if you went outside and argued with a fence post." 

After years on this forum in which I've defended my thoughts on the Pats against Patriots' homers, I now know that my Dad was right...LOL!!! 

This is not fair. Yes those are good players but to compare another teams ability to pick in the third round to the Pats would be to look at each team did year by year over the same period. Yes there are some home runs but every team has had their failures.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

Can't say I agree with the whole "sky is falling" or "BB is the worst drafter/GM" in the league sentiments that are so prevalent here, but I'll go on the record saying that neither Ryan nor Harmon were high in my books. I'll also go on the record saying that I am no expert and that my opinion in the grand scheme of things means nothing. But there were other players I would've preferred to have been taken (as there are every year) and here's to hoping that my gut reaction was wrong. Anyway, we're a long long way from determining if these two are busts, average Joes, or HoF'ers.

And that's just it, you're a fan, I'm a fan and I felt the same way- you can add Tavon Wilson into the category as well...didn't like that either. So when you hear about these guys in practice and you go down there and watch these guys look like they shouldn't be there, it's ok to criticize.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

One of the most amazing threads in the history of this forum (at least since I've been posting here).  A whole week of training camp and they're not setting the world on fire - absolutely disgusting.  When will Belichick ever start producing teams with consistent winning records and make the playoffs year in and year out?  Oh, wait.

:-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

[QUOTE]

Can't say I agree with the whole "sky is falling" or "BB is the worst drafter/GM" in the league sentiments that are so prevalent here, but I'll go on the record saying that neither Ryan nor Harmon were high in my books. I'll also go on the record saying that I am no expert and that my opinion in the grand scheme of things means nothing. But there were other players I would've preferred to have been taken (as there are every year) and here's to hoping that my gut reaction was wrong. Anyway, we're a long long way from determining if these two are busts, average Joes, or HoF'ers.

And that's just it, you're a fan, I'm a fan and I felt the same way- you can add Tavon Wilson into the category as well...didn't like that either. So when you hear about these guys in practice and you go down there and watch these guys look like they shouldn't be there, it's ok to criticize.

[/QUOTE]

So even though early in the season, before McCourty was move to S, Wilson did a solid job, you have made up your mind on him so it is okay to do that to others? If anything, assuming you are a reasonable person, it would force you to hold off judgement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is what it is. 

This is not fair. Yes those are good players but to compare another teams ability to pick in the third round to the Pats would be to look at each team did year by year over the same period. Yes there are some home runs but every team has had their failures.

[/QUOTE]

To be fair you would also have to take into consideration team record the previous year, drafting position, position need, talent level at each position already on the team, team bulding strategy, offensive philosophy, defensive philosophy and I'm sure, many more factors for each and every team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BB is missing a good bet in not reaching out to the draft experts posting on this forum.  Clearly they have an insight to the game that he does not possess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is what it is. 

[/QUOTE]

To be fair you would also have to take into consideration team record the previous year, drafting position, position need, talent level at each position already on the team, team bulding strategy, offensive philosophy, defensive philosophy and I'm sure, many more factors for each and every team.

[/QUOTE]

Oh man now your throwing logic and fairness in. Someone call the board cop. if we were at the pro days, the interviews, the q/a sessions then maybe the picks would make more sense. Wait till Jenkins gets thrown in the slammer. The we should have taken Jenkins crowd will be no where to be found. 

Kraft hired BB the coach to make his team a winner. He hired BB the GM cause he lost his and maybe BB would have looked somewhere else. BB probably picked the players when he was just the coach so what's the difference? I was never sold on Pioli.   

If it was my team and my product, I'd say BB is getting results. You give me results and I'm not shaking that tree. nothing is going to change at Gillette. If we took Wallace or Marshall we'd be dumping a lot of money in their pockets now or they would have Asante'd and gone away. 

Personally I hope now that Brandon Marshall is grown up I'd love to see Brady throwing him passes. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

BB is missing a good bet in not reaching out to the draft experts posting on this forum.  Clearly they have an insight to the game that he does not possess.

+1

Yes. Several posters in here, certainly think they know more than BB and his staff in every aspect of player evaluation and potential, not to mention team strategy.  We're so lucky to be able to worship their opinions, as they insist we do.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

so...if we have to call BB for missing on Mike Wallace, Clay Mathews, should we also not call ALL other teams for missing on Gronk, Brady etc.?

Here is the bottom line question..Obviously (based on the experts on this forum), BB is a terrible drafter and an even worse GM. So, the question is.. Who has a better record? Whom would you rather have?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Third rounders have mixed success.  Some end up good players, but the majority end up as roster filler.  To judge BB's success with third rounders, you'd have to look at all his picks, calculate the percentage that ended up being good players and then compare that to the percentage of third round picks overall who turned out to be good players.  That's a heck of a lot more work than I'm willing to do right now, but if someone wants to give it a shot, it would be a great contribution to the board.  My guess is that BB's success in the third round is probably about average.  But it's just a guess because I haven't done the research required to make a truly informed judgment. 

It's really the 2nd round where BB has been wretched.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

When they start handing out Super Bowl trophies for third round draft choice proficiency please let me know, in the meantime we're the winningest team over the last decade.    We're winning a Super Bowl this year.

Yet another silly homer response to defend the indefensible.

"YEAH...we have the winningest team over the last decade"!!!

Okay...let's expose this "argument" once more. In Tom Brady and BB, the Patriots have the greatest QB of all-time, and the greatest coach of all-time. These guys are so good at what they do that they can, and have, repeatedly, made lemonaide out of lemons. It is their greatness which has served to cover up the horrid drafting errors made by BB, since 2006.

Despite all the regular season success, the Pats have generally failed in the play-offs, and have failed to win another championship. The reason for this has been BB's failure to rebuild his defense, replacing such former stars as Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, and Asante Samuel. This failure stems largely from his poor drafting of defensive players, dating back to the 2006 season. Here's a list of failed defensive players drafted, since 2006:

1.) 2006: BB did not draft a defender until he selected OLB/DE Jeremy Mincey, with the 191st overall pick. Mincey was cut by the Patriots, and then caught on with the woeful Jacksonville Jaguars...where he's enjoyed a modest amount of success as a pass rusher;

2.) 2007: BB selected FS Brandon Meriweather with his 24th overall pick, and DT Kareem Brown with the 127th overall pick. Both of these players from "The U" failed miserably in NE. Though Meriweather made a couple of pro-bowls, he was vastly overrated. BB ended up releasing him because of his lack of disciplined play, and poor pass coverage skills. Meriweather is now out of the league. Brown was awful, and failed to make the team. He too is out of football;

3.) 2008: BB landed a solid LB in Jerod Mayo, with the 10th overall pick that year. Mayo has been a tackling machine with the team ever since...and is a very good ILB. But, the selections of CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall), DE/OLB Shawn "Betty Grable" Crable (78th overall), and CB Jonathan Wilhite (129th overall), were awful selections, who contributed next to nothing to the team. All are out of football.

4.) 2009: BB chose SS Patrick Chung with the 34th overall pick. When healthy, which was a rare occurrence indeed, Chung was effective on special teams, and in run support. But, the guy couldn't cover from day one. He left this year as an UFA...and has since signed on with the Philadelphia Eagles. Pick numbers 40 and 41 overall, DT Ron Brace and CB Darius Butler, were awful. Both have been released. ILB Tyrone McKenzie, taken 97th overall, hurt his knee as a rookie in training camp, and never amounted to anything as a football player thereafter. 

5.) 2010: CB Devin McCourty horribly regressed after an outstanding rookie season...to the point where he has been switched from CB to FS. Fortunately, he's found some success in his new position. OLB Jermaine Cunningham, taken 53rd overall, has been a major disappointment. He's in danger of being cut this season. ILB Brandon Spikes has the proverbial "body by Fischer, brains by Mattel" problem. Though he's a solid run-stuffer, he has serious issues in pass coverage. An UFA next season, this season likely will be his last as a Patriot.

6.) 2011: CB Ras-I Dowling, taken 33rd overall, was an injury prone college player. Not surprisingly, nothing has changed in the pros...as Ras-I seemingly tweaks his hamstring every time he climbs out of bed.

7.) 2012: The jury is still out on #1 draft choices, DE Chandler Jones, and LB Dont'a Hightower. That said, Jones looks like the real deal as a pass-rushing DE. Hightower showed signs of being a solid player. But, he doesn't appear to be cut out to play as an attacking OLB. He seems to be better suited at ILB. FS Tavon Wilson, taken at #48 overall, was vastly overdrafted. He appears to be an adequate reserve, at best.  DE Jake Bequette, selected 90th overall, did nothing in his rookie season. There's a good chance that he'll be cut this season.

8.) 2013: Jaime Collins was selected with pick #52 to possibly replace DE/OLB Rob Ninkovich next year...when the then 30 year old Nink becomes an UFA. Yet, thus far in training camp, BB has yet to find the right position for him. Not good...as Collins may be more of an athlete than a football player. Early reviews out of training camp also haven't been good on Rutgers' DBs, Ryan Logan (83rd overall) and the vastly overdrafted Duron Harmon (91st overall).  

So, as objective eyes can see, there's been little help to the defense through the draft, from 2006-present. Only Jerod Mayo, McCourty, Spikes, and perhaps newcomers Jones and Hightower have been contributors. Doesn't this serve as an explanation for why the Pats' "D" has repeatedly failed the team in the play-offs? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

So, as objective eyes can see, there's been little help to the defense through the draft, from 2006-present. Only Jerod Mayo, McCourty, Spikes, and perhaps newcomers Jones and Hightower have been contributors. Doesn't this serve as an explanation for why the Pats' "D" has repeatedly failed the team in the play-offs?  

Um, and where, on this forum would anyone be in possession of those objective eyes, TP?  I'm not objective and neither are you.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Texas-Pathetic. Show Texas-Pathetic's posts

Despite all the regular season success, the Pats have generally failed in the play-offs, and have failed to win another championship. The reason for this has been BB's failure to rebuild his defense, replacing such former stars as Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, and Asante Samuel. This failure stems largely from his poor drafting of defensive players, dating back to the 2006 season. Here's a list of failed defensive players drafted, since 2006:

1.) 2006: BB did not draft a defender until he selected OLB/DE Jeremy Mincey, with the 191st overall pick. Mincey was cut by the Patriots, and then caught on with the woeful Jacksonville Jaguars...where he's enjoyed a modest amount of success as a pass rusher;

2.) 2007: BB selected FS Brandon Meriweather with his 24th overall pick, and DT Kareem Brown with the 127th overall pick. Both of these players from "The U" failed miserably in NE. Though Meriweather made a couple of pro-bowls, he was vastly overrated. BB ended up releasing him because of his lack of disciplined play, and poor pass coverage skills. Meriweather is now out of the league. Brown was awful, and failed to make the team. He too is out of football;

3.) 2008: BB landed a solid LB in Jerod Mayo, with the 10th overall pick that year. Mayo has been a tackling machine with the team ever since...and is a very good ILB. But, the selections of CB Terrence Wheatley (62nd overall), DE/OLB Shawn "Betty Grable" Crable (78th overall), and CB Jonathan Wilhite (129th overall), were awful selections, who contributed next to nothing to the team. All are out of football.

4.) 2009: BB chose SS Patrick Chung with the 34th overall pick. When healthy, which was a rare occurrence indeed, Chung was effective on special teams, and in run support. But, the guy couldn't cover from day one. He left this year as an UFA...and has since signed on with the Philadelphia Eagles. Pick numbers 40 and 41 overall, DT Ron Brace and CB Darius Butler, were awful. Both have been released. ILB Tyrone McKenzie, taken 97th overall, hurt his knee as a rookie in training camp, and never amounted to anything as a football player thereafter. 

5.) 2010: CB Devin McCourty horribly regressed after an outstanding rookie season...to the point where he has been switched from CB to FS. Fortunately, he's found some success in his new position. OLB Jermaine Cunningham, taken 53rd overall, has been a major disappointment. He's in danger of being cut this season. ILB Brandon Spikes has the proverbial "body by Fischer, brains by Mattel" problem. Though he's a solid run-stuffer, he has serious issues in pass coverage. An UFA next season, this season likely will be his last as a Patriot.

6.) 2011: CB Ras-I Dowling, taken 33rd overall, was an injury prone college player. Not surprisingly, nothing has changed in the pros...as Ras-I seemingly tweaks his hamstring every time he climbs out of bed.

7.) 2012: The jury is still out on #1 draft choices, DE Chandler Jones, and LB Dont'a Hightower. That said, Jones looks like the real deal as a pass-rushing DE. Hightower showed signs of being a solid player. But, he doesn't appear to be cut out to play as an attacking OLB. He seems to be better suited at ILB. FS Tavon Wilson, taken at #48 overall, was vastly overdrafted. He appears to be an adequate reserve, at best.  DE Jake Bequette, selected 90th overall, did nothing in his rookie season. There's a good chance that he'll be cut this season.

8.) 2013: Jaime Collins was selected with pick #52 to possibly replace DE/OLB Rob Ninkovich next year...when the then 30 year old Nink becomes an UFA. Yet, thus far in training camp, BB has yet to find the right position for him. Not good...as Collins may be more of an athlete than a football player. Early reviews out of training camp also haven't been good on Rutgers' DBs, Ryan Logan (83rd overall) and the vastly overdrafted Duron Harmon (91st overall).  

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps no greater truth has ever been written on this board.  Patriots on the decline since the revelation of Spygate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Um, and where, on this forum would anyone be in possession of those objective eyes, TP?  I'm not objective and neither are you.  

What an empty, cowardly response! Nothing to refute anything I said. You obviously have enough trouble cogently speaking for yourself...without trying to speak for others.

Sections
Shortcuts