Belichick with 3 of the greatest 6 picks in Patriot history...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Belichick with 3 of the greatest 6 picks in Patriot history...

And 3 more on honorable mention. 

In the days leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft, NFL.com will allow users to determine the best and worst draft picks for every team. The series continues with the team that owns the No. 29 overall pick in this year's draft, the New England Patriots

Best picks

Who is the best pick in Patriots history? 

Tom Brady -- 2000 (No. 199 overall)

What, you were expecting Tebucky Jones? For value, Brady is probably the greatest draft pick in NFL history. But former Patriotspersonnel boss Scott Pioli used Brady as a reminder how random the draft process could be. Pioli used to keep a framed picture of tight end Dave Stachelski on Pioli's desk as a reminder that he wasn't some draft genius. Stachelski, like Greg Randall, Jeff Marriott and Antwan Harris, was drafted by thePatriots before Brady during the 2000 draft. 

»2000 NFL Draft | Photos: Brady through the years

John Hannah -- 1973 (No. 4)

Before Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick arrived, New England didn't have much of a football history. But they had John Hannah. He can still make a strong argument as the greatest offensive guard of all-time. 

» 1973 NFL Draft | Photos: Hannah through the years

Richard Seymour --2001 (No. 6) 

Drafting Brady gets all the attention, but grabbing Seymour and tackle Matt Light the next year in the first two rounds meant just as much to the 2001 Championship team. It's easy to forget just how dominant Seymour was on a dominant defense. He was the final, unblockable piece that made the Patriotsdefense work. From 2002-2006, he made the Pro Bowl every year with three first-team All Pros. 

» 2001 NFL Draft 

Ty Law -- 1995 (No. 23)

Drafted by Bill Parcells, Law was a difference maker in the Patriots secondary from day one. He bridged the gap as a guy who played in a Super Bowl loss with Drew Bledsoe and three Super Bowl winning teams with Tom Brady, recording massive playoff moments throughout. (The three interception AFC Championship against Peyton Manning; the touchdown return against Kurt Warner.) 

» 1995 NFL Draft

Andre Tippet -- 1982 (No. 41)

100 sacks and a Hall of Fame career from a second-round pick. That's value. 

» 1982 NFL Draft

Vince Wilfork -- 2004 (No. 21)

Bill Belichick loves to trade on draft day. Perhaps his best move ever came in 2003, when he moved the No. 19 pick for a second-rounder and Baltimore's first-round pick in 2004. The Patriots used their extra pick on Wilfork, a five-time Pro Bowler. The Ravens used their pick on Kyle Boller. 

» 2004 NFL Draft

Honorable Mention: Bruce Armstrong, Raymond Claiborne, Asante Samuel, Tedy Bruschi, Matt Light,Rob Gronkowski, Stanley Morgan

Worst picks

Who is the worst pick in Patriots history?

39%

Ken Sims

8%

Eugene Chung

14%

Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew

21%

Chad Jackson

18%

Tony Eason

TOTAL VOTES: 3268 

Ken Sims -- 1982 (No. 1)

Before Allen Iverson, there was Ken Sims. The top overall pick in 1982 was known for his lousy practice habits and was called "Game Day" because he responded to criticism by saying "I'll be there on game day." Except he wasn't. He only played more than nine games in a season four times, recording 17 sacks in his entire career. 

» 1982 NFL Draft

Eugene Chung -- 1992 (No. 13)

The Patriots took tackles as top 13 picks in back-to-back years, with USC's Pat Harlow coming in 1991. This is better known as the "Dick McPhearson" era. 

» 1992 NFL Draft

Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew -- 1990 (No. 8 and No. 10)

The Patriots traded the No. 3 overall pick to Seattle in the 1990 draft to get two top 10 selections. Awesome. Not as awesome: Getting backup-level production from Singleton and Agnew. The Seahawks, meanwhile, draftedHall of Famer Cortez Kennedy. 

» 1990 NFL Draft

Chad Jackson -- -- 2006 (No. 36)

It's not really about Jackson. He's just a stand in for the startling number of total second round busts in the Belichick era. I could have also chosen Bethel Johnson, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Terrence Wheatley or Adrian Klemm. 

» 2006 NFL Draft

Tony Eason -- 1983 (No. 15)

Sure, Eason started a Super Bowl and played pretty well early in his career. The problem: There was no late in his career. He never started five games in a season again after 1986. Eason also gets major deductions for being taken one pick after Jim Kelly, and 12 picks in front of Dan Marino. 

» 1983 NFL Draft

Honorable mention: Andy Katzenmoyer

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

"Defense Wins Championships"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Belichick with 3 of the greatest 6 picks in Patriot history...

Bledsoe not even an honorable mention? He wasn't Brady, but he was damn good for a long time.

Also, no Lawyer Milloy, no Russ Francis, no Steve Grogan? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

And no Mike Haynes? Better football player than Law, or just about anybody else for that matter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

You can't have Seymour on there ahead of Mike Haynes, or Bledsoe...or Grogan. Makes no sense...yeah Seymour was very good, but he was better than Bledsoe? Bledsoe helped turn this franchise around. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Ken Simms has got to be the biggest bust ever for the Pats by a long shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

You gotta hand it to the guy...he sure knew how to leg whip a back coming through the hole...heck, it ended his career! Game Day...BWAHAHAHA!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

You gotta hand it to the guy...he sure knew how to leg whip a back coming through the hole...heck, it ended his career! Game Day...BWAHAHAHA!!!

Sad part about that is he was actually playing well at that point, borderline dominant for a fleeting run of games. Then it was over.

At least he had that...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Not sure how you can leave Curtis Martin off the list, pretty good 3rd rounder

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

Not sure how you can leave Curtis Martin off the list, pretty good 3rd rounder

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

[QUOTE]

Bruce Armstrong too.

EDIT: I see he was an honorable mention...never mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Bledsoe not even an honorable mention? He wasn't Brady, but he was damn good for a long time.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Bledsoe was the pick that helped turn the entire franchise around. He led them to a SB appearance in 1996. 

They could have drafted Rick Mirer.

He also came in for an injured Brady and helped secure the 2001 win over PIT.

Hard to take anyone off that list though.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

The draft is crazy and unpredictable.  The Steelers 1974 draft had 4 hall of famers.  That would have to be the best draft ever by a team.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Bledsoe?  Wasn't he the first pick in the draft? Yikes.  Regardless, your own Bean Queen claims that both Bledsoe and Plunket were busts.  If Queenie says it, it must be true.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Reach around Rusty and Bustchise show up back to back.^^^

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Bledsoe was the pick that helped turn the entire franchise around. He led them to a SB appearance in 1996. 

They could have drafted Rick Mirer.

He also came in for an injured Brady and helped secure the 2001 win over PIT.

Hard to take anyone off that list though.

Not really. A franchise QB is above almost anybody else regardless of position, so you could slot him behind Brady. But even if you don't want to do that, he could displace anybody on the honorable mention list. As could Mike Haynes.

How many NFL HOFers are on that list? I know at least two that aren't, Haynes and Buoniconti (13th round pick, by the way).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I keep thinking of 01, the first one. I can think the top 2 for me. Seymour and Brady. My 3rd would be Matt Light. As far as BB's Drafts only. Fairbanks Drafts were much better. Fairbanks was getting many diamonds in the rough kind of Football Players.

Sections
Shortcuts