***Belichick's Eventual Successor***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: ***Belichick's Eventual Successor***

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If it's in the next 5 years I can see McDanials or Schiano if it's longer anyone else get the odd feeling he's training his son, Steve?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Yeah, Steve could be a dark horse.

But I'd add Chip Kelly out of house. 

To be frank, I don't expect a clean cut and run retirement, which is why I assume he stays in house. My gut feeling is that BB will take a reduced role, perhaps as GM/consultant, like a hybrid of what Pioli and Ernie Adams once did, and someone from his group of guys takes over the day to day. 

Also, I don't see BB retiring in the next ten years. I just don't.

If he lasts 10 years then Steve becomes a serious contender for the job. That gives him what 20 years in the system, 10 years coaching in the system? It already looks like he's getting his hands wet with talent evaluation and gets along with the Krafts. Now that would be one heck of a football family. 2 decades of Bob and Bill then they both retire and go fishing with Steve and Jon taking over for the next couple decades

Yeah, I think it's a clever notion. Surprised you are the only one who brought it up. I certainly didn't think that way. It matches what I was thinking about his time to retirement, and yeah, one heck of a dynasty there. 

Myself, I can't say enough about the quality of intellectual activity at Rutgers, and I suspect the football program that Schiano brought Steve through is along the same lines. 

Here is to that. I think it's the best sounding and most promising narrative. 

I wouldn't rule out splitting the difference between your position, my position, and Mbeaulieu's position, that maybe BB coaches here another 10-12 years, maybe someone he trusts repletely gets some substantial control while BB receeds before that  (like McD) and maybe Steve is the ultimate successor. 

Even once Brady retires, I sincerely hope BB stays as long as possible in whatever advisory role they can afford him. He is a one of a kind football mind and I think success will always follow him, even after Brady and his greatness are gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Agreed with ZB. Belichick isn't going anywhere for awhile.

Let's go Pats!

Yeah, it's possible, but I don't see it. As a matter of fact, it seems like BB is getting more and more hands on with the team as years wind on. He still has tons of energy from all appearances, still makes the rounds talking with other coaches about how he can innovate here.

Perhaps most importantly, he still has the fire in him. He still looks absolutely disgusted, like you just frenched his senile grandma and grabbed her by the bo-ob at the same time whenever NE loses. 

I think he has a long time left as HC, and more after that in an advisory/managerial role. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, do not see BB going anywhere for quite some time.  With respect to a successor, Schiano -perhaps, Steve - I don't think so, Saban - probably not, McD - a distinct possibility.  I'm also inclined to agree that BB will have his hand in player personnel decisions after he leaves the sidelines. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Urban Meyer.   By the time bb goes he will have cemented his legacy at the Ohio state university    The vrabel connection and Saban won't leave his gig. Meyer hasn't gone to the NFL yet has he?   He sure walks on water in Columbus already. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Urban Meyer.   By the time bb goes he will have cemented his legacy at the Ohio state university    The vrabel connection and Saban won't leave his gig. Meyer hasn't gone to the NFL yet has he?   He sure walks on water in Columbus already. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Meyer is an option if BB retires soon rather then later. Meyer is 48 right now, I believe he'll be 49 before the season starts. So if Z is right and BB doesn't retire until closer to the decade side then Meyer is going to be getting close to 60 which would be pushing it to hire as a coach. Depending on when BB is looking to retire it's more likely we are looking at a coach in the 25-45 age range right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think BB acts as the HC for another 10-12 years. I do think he stays on in that role for about 1-2 years after Brady's departure to smooth things out. I do agree with all that he will most likely take some type of a consultant/GM, etc position witht the pats when he finishes coaching.

whethe moves on from coaching will determine in part who takes over. If it is in the timeframe I think, 5 years max, I could see McD, Kelly or Schiano possibly taking over. Not SteviE, not Urban nor Saban. My best guess its McD, and Stevie becomes asst HC, defensive coordinator. pay close attention to how/if Stevie moves up and around over the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised if he begins taking over ST, maybe secondary coach, then up to DC when daddy leaves. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from free-jodi-arias-now. Show free-jodi-arias-now's posts

Steve B is a fantasy, he is untested. McD has a poor history of player relations. However, I do agree BB is not going anywhere for a long time....  at that point, Why not, Rusty, ZB or Prolate?

I'm so bored sitting here in my lonely jail cell. Why doesn't someone write to me: c/o Jodi Arias, Maricopa County Detention Facilities, 201 S. 4th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

For those posters that really think BB is sticking around for another ten years, let's remember that BB has said himself a couple times at least "I'm not sticking around like a Marv Levy" (i.e. to 70 years old).

Sure he could change his mind, but an NFL head coaching job, particularly when you are as dedicated as BB, is not an easy job and is very demanding.  It doesn't get any easier as you age.  I really think we have him for 2/3 years max as HC.

Sections
Shortcuts