Belichick's MO for the draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Belichick's MO for the draft

If there's one thing that BB is when it comes to the draft is unpredictable.  But, he also has trends and habits that also show through.  Feel free to add some if I missed, but these seem to be what he looks for-

The first is that he prefers college Seniors.  I don't know if that has to do with the amount of game tape to evaluate, the level of game that they are at, or if they prefer to stay loyal to thier school rather than leave a year early for the NFL.

The second is size.  BB likes his linemen and OLBs tall and rangy.  He also likes his WRs and CBs on the shorter side.  

Lastly, he seems to go after those who have had an injury during thier senior year that other teams shy away from.  These players like Gronkowski, Ras-I Dowling, and Brandon Tate, Marcus Cannon may be overlooked by other teams and fall to later rounds where BB isn't afraid to roll the dice.

The two players that I can think of who fit all 3 categories are DE Jared Crick and WR Ryan Broyles.  Feel free to add others-

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Belichick's MO for the draft

Cone numbers for DB's and WR's. Straight line speed doesn't seem to be as important as the cone numbers to BB.

He also drafts players in the first 2 rounds from the list of players he brings in or sees multiple times

He'll always pick at least 1 player in the draft from someone in his coaching tree

Contrary to popular belief he does draft for need in the first couple rounds but BPA is the tie breaker

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I agree with the cone numbers for DBs and WRs.  Do you think he'll be targeting CB Josh Robinson at #31 (who is second of all players with 6.55 cone)?  He has been said to have a first round grade even though he hasn't played against top notch talent.

I'm not sure if BB always drafts with players that he sees multiple times or is from a coach in his coach tree.  I thought that I remember Mayo never came in for a visit and I always assumed that BB didn't want to tip his hand.  

I really think DE Jared Crick may be our guy in the 2nd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Both Gronk and Hernandez were underclassmen but outside of them, you seem to be right.  I'm not sure BB targets injured players per se.  He drafts value.  Mallett and Hernandez were value picks due to character concerns. 

Another thing I noticed is BB tends to have a player in mind for his first pick.  If the player is there when he's on the clock, he takes him unless he feels he can move back and still get him.  He moved back slightly for McCourty in 2010, Chung in 2009 and Mayo in 2008. 

If he has two first round picks, he is not afaid of trading the second one away like he did last year.  

He also approaches free agency with an eye to plug holes with good, yet inexpensive players.  He can then draft BPA.  He almost never goes after the big name expensive players except A. Thomas.  He will gamble with troubled players if he can get them on the cheap and can cut them with low risk.

Another thing I notice is he tends to cut or trade older guys with big cap numbers.  We've seen this time and again.  He also shys away from DE conversion types, especially early in the draft.

We all know he doesn't draft WR in the first round, EVER.  He has only taken three in the second round, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson and Deion Branch.

If you consider 1st and 2nd round picks as your premium picks, you do see some trends.  He goes after OL, DL and DBs the most of any position.  I'm counting TEs as OL.

7- OL: Solder, Gronk, Vollmer, Mankins, Watson, Graham, Light
    7- DB: Dowling, McCourty, Chung, Butler, Wheatley, Meriweather, Wilson
    5- DL: Cunningham, Wilfork, Hill, Warren, Seymour
    3- WR: Jackson, Johnson and Branch
    2- RB:  Vereen, Maroney
    2-MLB: Spikes, Mayo

Obviously he hasn't needed to draft a QB and he has never taken a conversion type OLB in the top 2 rounds.  5 of the 7 DBs taken were since he let Samuel go after the 2007 season and I believe he is still looking for answers there.

He also recently has been using multiple picks to address big needs like when he took Ridley and Vereen last year and Gronk and Hern in 2010. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think you can put Cunningham in that outside conversion type of player, because at the size he was drafted...he wasn't going to be a true defensive end and Bill didn't play him at that spot. I want to say he drafted a guy from ohio state when he was with the browns in the first (Powell?) - that was an outside linebacker, he was going to convert into the 34.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Bill is really a guy that - in my opinion - will draft anyone at any time. He's got the luxury of having job stability that many coaches don't have, and that in return allows him to reach when he wants to reach...project when he wants to project and fill a need when he needs the need filled.

I think we were all surprised when he drafted Maroney in the first, but we needed a running back and pulled the trigger. I know I've been surprised that we've used so many picks on defensive backs in the first two rounds over the last 5 years, but we keep missing on those picks, so he just keeps picking them over and over again. He's not going to give a left tackle a 50 million dollar contract, so we drafted tackles the last two years. I bet he's not going to give a center that type of contract either...don't be surprised if one of the guys you like at the 34 outside spot is sitting there and he ends up drafting the best rated center.

I used to think he would just select the best available guy, but I keep seeing them fill needs lately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I think we'll get a clearer picture of BB's draft strategy after FA opens this Tues. 

If he goes after Mario Williams.

If he goes after Lloyd. 

I had heard that the Patriots would possibly make a move to get Mike Tolbert. I forget where I heard this but, personally, I like it. 

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Leading up to the draft and FA. 

With the right moves, the Patriots could clearly be SB favorites again. Trust me though, NOT ONE person will correctly guage what BB does in this draft. He likes a lot of picks and maybe just do the trade down thing. Again. We all get worked up when he does this but, after a week or so we all agree the moves were great. 

Bottom line? We have no idea. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick's MO for the draft:
    Both Gronk and Hernandez were underclassmen but outside of them, you seem to be right.  I'm not sure BB targets injured players per se.  He drafts value.  Mallett and Hernandez were value picks due to character concerns.  Another thing I noticed is BB tends to have a player in mind for his first pick.  If the player is there when he's on the clock, he takes him unless he feels he can move back and still get him.  He moved back slightly for McCourty in 2010, Chung in 2009 and Mayo in 2008.  If he has two first round picks, he is not afaid of trading the second one away like he did last year.   He also approaches free agency with an eye to plug holes with good, yet inexpensive players.  He can then draft BPA.  He almost never goes after the big name expensive players except A. Thomas.  He will gamble with troubled players if he can get them on the cheap and can cut them with low risk. Another thing I notice is he tends to cut or trade older guys with big cap numbers.  We've seen this time and again.  He also shys away from DE conversion types, especially early in the draft. We all know he doesn't draft WR in the first round, EVER.  He has only taken three in the second round, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson and Deion Branch. If you consider 1st and 2nd round picks as your premium picks, you do see some trends.  He goes after OL, DL and DBs the most of any position.  I'm counting TEs as OL. 7- OL: Solder, Gronk, Vollmer, Mankins, Watson, Graham, Light 7- DB: Dowling, McCourty, Chung, Butler, Wheatley, Meriweather, Wilson 5- DL: Cunningham, Wilfork, Hill, Warren, Seymour 3- WR: Jackson, Johnson and Branch 2- RB:  Vereen, Maroney 2-MLB: Spikes, Mayo Obviously he hasn't needed to draft a QB and he has never taken a conversion type OLB in the top 2 rounds.  5 of the 7 DBs taken were since he let Samuel go after the 2007 season and I believe he is still looking for answers there. He also recently has been using multiple picks to address big needs like when he took Ridley and Vereen last year and Gronk and Hern in 2010. 
    Posted by Faucetman

So what do you think about Crick?  Do you feel like he would be a good fit?  It is a bit odd that he doesn't make more attempts at the OLB conversion types.  There seems to be a plethora of them this year and I hope he selects a couple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i bet he'll trade down from #27. there were no takers for #33 last year, so he's probably thinking it'll be the same for #31. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think we'll get a clearer picture of BB's draft strategy after FA opens this Tues.  If he goes after Mario Williams. If he goes after Lloyd.  I had heard that the Patriots would possibly make a move to get Mike Tolbert. I forget where I heard this but, personally, I like it.  This is one of my favorite times of the year. Leading up to the draft and FA.  With the right moves, the Patriots could clearly be SB favorites again. Trust me though, NOT ONE person will correctly guage what BB does in this draft. He likes a lot of picks and maybe just do the trade down thing. Again. We all get worked up when he does this but, after a week or so we all agree the moves were great.  Bottom line? We have no idea. 
    Posted by mrbungle

Tolbert would be an interesting choice.  He's a fire plug with hands.

Another idea I posted elsewhere is going after Terrell Thomas of the Giants.  He had a Pro Bowl caliber year in 2010 then blew out his ACL during the second preseason game last year - in a contract year of all things.  With Prince Amukamara selected last year, the Giants aren't likely to be players.  Thomas may not be 100% to start the year but we could probably get him on a 1-2 year deal heavily based on incentives.  If Thomas can return to form, we'd have a big time hitting CB with over 100 tackles, 5 INTs and 21 PD in 2010 on the cheap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Belichick's MO for the draft : So what do you think about Crick?  Do you feel like he would be a good fit?  It is a bit odd that he doesn't make more attempts at the OLB conversion types.  There seems to be a plethora of them this year and I hope he selects a couple.
    Posted by Army2LT

I like Crick better than I ever liked Cunningham.  But, I'm way higher on Andre Branch.  We'd have to use 31 to get Branch but I see him as an experienced pass rusher who has the prototypical size you want to play 34 OLB and he's way more athletic.  Crick probably makes better sense in a 43 but I like his motor and he could be had later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I would love to see them grab whoever at #27, DE Branch at #31, and then DE Crick at #48.  Both players are exactly the same height, but Crick has 20 more lbs on him.

I think Branch had some of the highest numbers on the 3 cone drill.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I would love to see them grab whoever at #27, DE Branch at #31, and then DE Crick at #48.  Both players are exactly the same height, but Crick has 20 more lbs on him. I think Branch had some of the highest numbers on the 3 cone drill.  
    Posted by Army2LT

Might be able to get Crick at 63.  But I agree, we need some playmakers on D and this is a good draft for front 7 types.  I also like Bequette and McClellin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I think Crick may be available at 63 too, but if BB likes him, he will probably get him at 48.  

A trend that I see troubling is that BB has drafted only 1 D-lineman (Ron Brace) in the first 3 rounds since 2005.  Why is that?  Other than CB, it has been our worst area for years.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He has a tendency to draft by suggestion of friends in the college coaching ranks rather than the consensus of unknown "experts". He always looks for value and isn't apt to draft relatively big money skill positions high. He tries to assure the draft doesn't hit the cap hard. And yes, he does have quite a history of drafting injury risks in the hope that if they stay healthy he has garnered great value. It's a strategy that has had mixed results due to the actual execution being marginal rather than the concept being flawed.

Sections
Shortcuts