Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks

I could live with Green-Ellis, shucks. The alarming thing is the output from WR#2 in their 11 package. 

IT is and has been abysmal. 

I don't want a pro-bowler there, just someone competent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

BJGE is a very, very good running back. Your evaluation of talent is obviously terrible. The Pat's offense often calls on BJGE to gain a yard or two. The defense knows this and tries to prevent that yard or two....and BJGE is more successful than not. 

Yards per carry has some merit, however it is not "the" most important statistic for a RB, in fact it's very short sighted. BJGE keeps the sticks moving downfield. I don't care if he gets 1 yard per carry, if we get a first down on his carry then he has done his job. 

By your logic Michael Bush, Arian Foster, and Marshawn Lynch are inept as well. Again, I'm glad you are not in any official capacity of judging talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks:
    [QUOTE]BJGE is a very, very good running back. Your evaluation of talent is obviously terrible. The Pat's offense often calls on BJGE to gain a yard or two. The defense knows this and tries to prevent that yard or two....and BJGE is more successful than not.  Yards per carry has some merit, however it is not "the" most important statistic for a RB, in fact it's very short sighted. BJGE keeps the sticks moving downfield. I don't care if he gets 1 yard per carry, if we get a first down on his carry then he has done his job.  By your logic Michael Bush, Arian Foster, and Marshawn Lynch are inept as well. Again, I'm glad you are not in any official capacity of judging talent.
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]

Dude you're a genius...I've never seen such a clever use of sarcasm. The pats offense calls for the running back to gain a yard or two? I love it!! Hilarious!!

You don't care if BJGE averages a yard per carry! Good one! I bet BB was/is hoping that his running backs average a yard a carry too! LMAO

You kill me...you really do. Priceless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : Dude you're a genius...I've never seen such a clever use of sarcasm. The pats offense calls for the running back to gain a yard or two? I love it!! Hilarious!! You don't care if BJGE averages a yard per carry! Good one! I bet BB was/is hoping that his running backs average a yard a carry too! LMAO You kill me...you really do. Priceless.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Well, you can edit out any meaningful words you like. I guess that is convenient to your limited gray matter. Let me pose a question and please answer it without your previous wordsmithing. Would you rather have a running back carry for a first down or a running back carry for five yards and then have the team punt? It really is that simple. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Green Ellis is OK, he does some things well, maybe even above average but he is not the future unless he improves. He's the only RB in the top 32 without a run of 20+ yards, everyone else has at Least 2 most have 4 or 5. There's also only 2 RBs with as many carries as he has who don't have a fumble. You want a RB to 1. make good runs. 2. Catch out of the backfield. 3 pick up blitzes. 4 Not turn the ball over. Hell do for now but they are going to look for a way to improve like they do in all positions.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I am at peace with that.  

I'd like to add that fifth important element: attitude.  Look at what Chris Johnson did to the Titans.  Thiss is probably a lost season for the Titans (I am having trouble working up a tear) because of one fickle, dynamic egomaniacal star having enough talent to disrupt the team if he withholds it/doesn't maintain it, coupled with the kind of personality that in doing so, he has no problem with the consequences. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]BJGE is a very, very good running back. Your evaluation of talent is obviously terrible. The Pat's offense often calls on BJGE to gain a yard or two. The defense knows this and tries to prevent that yard or two....and BJGE is more successful than not.  Yards per carry has some merit, however it is not "the" most important statistic for a RB, in fact it's very short sighted. BJGE keeps the sticks moving downfield. I don't care if he gets 1 yard per carry, if we get a first down on his carry then he has done his job.  By your logic Michael Bush, Arian Foster, and Marshawn Lynch are inept as well. Again, I'm glad you are not in any official capacity of judging talent.
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]

Also very true.  I see why you chose a sage avitar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : Dude you're a genius...I've never seen such a clever use of sarcasm. The pats offense calls for the running back to gain a yard or two? I love it!! Hilarious!! You don't care if BJGE averages a yard per carry! Good one! I bet BB was/is hoping that his running backs average a yard a carry too! LMAO You kill me...you really do. Priceless.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Um....uhhh, I think he means that when it is 4th-and-2 on the opponent's 38, Benny gets two yards and a 1st, while most other backs in the league don't, so their teams may not even try.  That is a huge plus on Benny's side of the ledger.  Think about it: punt and get whatever may come from that punt VS. get a first down and likely a score.  Do that two or three times per game, as Benny often does, and it is the difference between winning and losing. 

Mthurl, I don't think you have thought this through.  Are you a fantasy football guy?  If "yes", I think that explains why you narrowly define RB success on yards and YPC.  Just this week BB and Brady made a point of mentioning how Benny is leading them to success.  Heck, he bailed them out in that 1st QTR drive last week. The pass game was going nowhere.  But when he started running, they ultimately scored.  His hard running on that drive set up the whole win. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Belichick turned an undrafted player into 1000 yrd rusher and yet somehow this is a bad thing. Tell me what have Arian Foster, Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson won lately besides meaningless rushing titles for non-playoff teams. BJGE complements this offense just like Woodhead and Faulk (as change of pace RBs or receivers out of the backfield) do. They along with Vereen and Ridley keep opposing defenses honest (eg: no loading up the secondary because the O is going to pass on every play). The Pats RBs give them balance on offense. Sure none of them is hugely successful feature back, but teams are not built to help some dude win his fantasy league. Wins always matter more than rushing titles or fantasy stats. Besides which, if the Pats had, say, AP, that would mean that close to 30million dollars would be tied up in two offensive players which means no quality FAs can be signed in the future  and the Pats brass could easily be put in cap hell. BJGE is just right for the bang for the buck so it makes no sense to slag him for not being on par with Peterson and Foster when he is so cost-effective as opposed to cost-prohibitive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : I think Bill Belichick himself would agree with what brdbreu said, after all he did select not one, but two backs early in last years draft...you think he did that because he likes just randomly selecting guys? Why don't you join a club where you can glamorize every player on this team? You can decorate your house with Sergio Brown jersey's and Taylor Price posters (oh that's right he was hall of fame worthy until Bill pulled the cord on that last night). People come on here to express an opinion - not just to tilt their heads back and allow kool-aid to be pumped down their throat.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Good job! I could try for years and not come up with a more senseless, whining post. But then I don't feel the need to make up stupid crap like 'glamorize every player'. But if you need that junk because you don't have a point good for you.

As for the stupid 'selected 2 backs' crap....You do realize that a football team needs more than 1 back? Who were those other backs at the end of last season? Faulk who suffered a sever injury and whos career is at an end? Woodhead who is good for a half dozen of carries a game?

Or maybe like your partner brdbreu you think the team should tie up millions in cap space for a premiere free agent back for a team that is a passing team in a passing league?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Oh and it is a passing league Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Rapistburger all more valuable than any running back in the entire league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : Um....uhhh, I think he means that when it is 4th-and-2 on the opponent's 38, Benny gets two yards and a 1st, while most other backs in the league don't, so their teams may not even try.  That is a huge plus on Benny's side of the ledger.  Think about it: punt and get whatever may come from that punt VS. get a first down and likely a score.  Do that two or three times per game, as Benny often does, and it is the difference between winning and losing.  Mthurl, I don't think you have thought this through.  Are you a fantasy football guy?  If "yes", I think that explains why you narrowly define RB success on yards and YPC.  Just this week BB and Brady made a point of mentioning how Benny is leading them to success.  Heck, he bailed them out in that 1st QTR drive last week. The pass game was going nowhere.  But when he started running, they ultimately scored.  His hard running on that drive set up the whole win. 
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I don't think the guy is terrible, he runs hard, plays low and has good timing/vision. I just think the guy is limited and certainly not above criticism. He can't get outside and he doesn't have the quickness or shiftiness to cut back. You can't do delays or draws with him and he's not real natural in the passing game; when you add all these things up I think it makes for a player that is easy to game plan for and stop...if he is your focus. I've heard him called a power back and really I think that's a stretch of the imagination - once he gets going in the open field he can break tackles, but that can be said about many players at the nfl level. As far as him being invaluable for being able to pick up a yard (when defenses have to worry about Tom Brady), I would venture to think that most feature backs could do that in this offense.

I don't think he sucks, it's just that a poster wrote that he is limited and I agreed with that. Then someone jumped in and said the usual stuff - how dare you criticize a player on this team? What do you expect all pro bowl players on the roster, etc? When I think this team can be critiqued like anything else (nothing wrong doing it). When you have selected 15 players in rounds 2 and three over the last three years and 3 of them are contributing there's nothing wrong with having some questions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : Good job! I could try for years and not come up with a more senseless, whining post. But then I don't feel the need to make up stupid crap like 'glamorize every player'. But if you need that junk because you don't have a point good for you. As for the stupid 'selected 2 backs' crap....You do realize that a football team needs more than 1 back? Who were those other backs at the end of last season? Faulk who suffered a sever injury and whos career is at an end? Woodhead who is good for a half dozen of carries a game? Or maybe like your partner brdbreu you think the team should tie up millions in cap space for a premiere free agent back for a team that is a passing team in a passing league?
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure that having two running backs that were 25-27 years old and were our starters last year doesn't warrant drafting two more of them in the early rounds of the draft for depth purposes. Do you need more than two backs? Of course, it's just that if you had a true feature back I don't think you'd be selecting two more high in the draft when you clearly needed to upgrade your defense.

Not many teams go into the second round thinking, yeah I'm looking for my backups right about at this area of the draft - if they did they wouldn't be allowed to pick players for much longer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : I'm pretty sure that having two running backs that were 25-27 years old and were our starters last year doesn't warrant drafting two more of them in the early rounds of the draft for depth purposes. Do you need more than two backs? Of course, it's just that if you had a true feature back I don't think you'd be selecting two more high in the draft when you clearly needed to upgrade your defense. Not many teams go into the second round thinking, yeah I'm looking for my backups right about at this area of the draft - if they did they wouldn't be allowed to pick players for much longer.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

The fact that the only thing you can come up with is age just shows how empty your arguement is. When you grow up and run your own NFL team you can be satified with only two backs. If anyone asks you why you can always say ' we only need 2 because of their age'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : The fact that the only thing you can come up with is age just shows how empty your arguement is. When you grow up and run your own NFL team you can be satified with only two backs. If anyone asks you why you can always say ' we only need 2 because of their age'.

Listen next time half wit, I'll keep my post to one paragraph in length (4-5 small sentences) that way you can read annnnnd comprehend it all in it's entirety. I think if you have perhaps your mom reread it to you - you'll see I did say that we needed more than two backs.

More than two backs=Good idea!! That help? How about this...1 back + 1 back = 2 backs....not enough:(      Add 2 more backs + the 2 we had = smiley face :)

Darn I didn't keep it to one paragraph:(

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : Listen next time half wit, I'll keep my post to one paragraph in length (4-5 small sentences) that way you can read annnnnd comprehend it all in it's entirety. I think if you have perhaps your mom reread it to you - you'll see I did say that we needed more than two backs. More than two backs=Good idea!! That help? How about this...1 back + 1 back = 2 backs....not enough:(      Add 2 more backs + the 2 we had = smiley face :) Darn I didn't keep it to one paragraph:(
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

You're a sad little boy aren't you? I'm so intimidared by your internet tough guy act I'm going to sit in the corner and cry. Doesn't matter how much you whine and thump your vitual chest you still have no idea what you're talking about so put your pink hat on and enjoy the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : You're a sad little boy aren't you? I'm so intimidared by your internet tough guy act I'm going to sit in the corner and cry. Doesn't matter how much you whine and thump your vitual chest you still have no idea what you're talking about so put your pink hat on and enjoy the game.

Haha! Kind of funny, you enjoy the game too. Argue with you later kool -aider.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I just can't imagine Vereen or Riddley sucking more then BJGE today if given the opportunity and his carries.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]I just can't imagine Vereen or Riddley sucking more then BJGE today if given the opportunity and his carries.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I don't follow.  I thought the runs by Benny early in the game freed the passing game...again.  But they certainly didn't let him get enough runs to get any kind of flow.  Don't remember him losing any yards.  Remember him getting a TD on a goal-line stand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Chris your completely delusional and playing the part of apologist.  These are Maroney like stats.  We were getting that TD no matter who's number was called, be real.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ben Jarvis Green Ellis sucks : I don't follow.  I thought the runs by Benny early in the game freed the passing game...again.  But they certainly didn't let him get enough runs to get any kind of flow.  Don't remember him losing any yards.  Remember him getting a TD on a goal-line stand.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Sorry Chris. 

Why is flow the new excuse for stinking?
     I don't buy flow, or rhythm.

Sorry. 

How much flow did Ridley need? 

I watch too much football to think that a guy who is getting about 2 yards a run needs more rushes. 

IF we go by flow arguments, the Pats should be passing about 80% of the time and making sure it goes to each reciever once every four plays, with the fifth play a run for Benny. That way, everyone can get into the flow.

Truth is, BJGE isn't worth handing the ball off to more than is abslutely necessary to keep the defense honest.

And that is probably enough with all the weapons this team has.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Yeah, but with only six carries, one of those was from the 1 for a TD.  How is he going to get five yards on that?  He also converted on short yardage in the game.  He did his job for the brief time he was in the game.

And don't forget, Benny was playing in the first QTR against a fresh D.  Ridley was playing against a tired, whipped D in the second half, albeit with predictable play-calling.

Let's not forget he turned a potential loss into a no-loss when somebody missed their block.  Give him the block, plus give him bonus yards on the 1-yd TD and it's another story.  

Stats alone don't count when the guy only gets six carries.  You have to look at each play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sorry. I just don't buy it. 

You are trying to explain why he is better than average? OR great?

I'm watching the guy. He also ran into his blockers' back a couple times, bouncing his way through the hole the way he usually does. Kid has no vision, and no moves, and isn't strong enough to pull the pile.

The guy never takes losses or fumbles, but that is because he runs like Forrest Gump ... he puts his head down, grips the ball and runs into whatever is in front of him. 

I've stated before, with all the passing talent NE has, they don't really need a lights out runner, just an average one. (It would be a nice luxury though to have LeShon McCoy threatening teams). 

I really want to see more of the other guys that is all ... they at least have the possibility of becoming special ahead of them. I've seen enough of BJGE to know he'll never be anything but a JAG runner whose claim to fame is minimal fumbling. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

He has never fumbled.  Not in the his entire football life.

I didn't claim he was great, but I think he is decently above average with just the right skills to suit the Pats.

We can assume he was not used much today because he has turf toe and they will need him more later.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry. I just don't buy it.  You are trying to explain why he is better than average? OR great? I'm watching the guy. He also ran into his blockers' back a couple times, bouncing his way through the hole the way he usually does. Kid has no vision, and no moves, and isn't strong enough to pull the pile. The guy never takes losses or fumbles, but that is because he runs like Forrest Gump ... he puts his head down, grips the ball and runs into whatever is in front of him.  I've stated before, with all the passing talent NE has, they don't really need a lights out runner, just an average one. (It would be a nice luxury though to have LeShon McCoy threatening teams).  I really want to see more of the other guys that is all ... they at least have the possibility of becoming special ahead of them. I've seen enough of BJGE to know he'll never be anything but a JAG runner whose claim to fame is minimal fumbling. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

The problem with Benny is he's just not quick and fast enough to do much beyond getting what is there, which in the NFL is usually not a lot. He doesn't even try to get outside anymore (and he shouldn't), but the problem is defense's know there are way too many things he can't do.

I can't believe people want to give him props for that touchdown run today, are you kidding me? Marion Butts got 8 rushing touchdowns one year for us, does that make him good too?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

All I will say is that the run blocking, outside of Gronk, has been quite poor the past month or so.