Ben Watson - First round Bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Ben Watson - First round Bust?

Do you think Ben was a first round Bust?  I've been thinking yes for the last 3 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Re: Ben Watson - Fisrt round Bust?

Hard to say, he always got injured and never live up to expectations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Well.. If not living up to expectations = bust.  Then I guess he is a bust. But I usually think of bust as could not make it in the NFL. If they had taken him in the 3rd or 4th rounds he would be considered a sevicable guy. But I'll vote yes because I believe that we are measuring him directly against his draft position. Which he clearly didn't live up to.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Yep! Read today's Globe article. Built like a Greek god but he was a  underachiever in college and with the Pats! Frankly, I never thought the Pats gave Thomas  enough time to get comfortable with Brady. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

What's a Fisrt?

I'm gonna have to say no.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

All I can say is I think its hard to be a tight end in our offense.  Ithink he might do well in Cleveland.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Ben Watson - First round Bust?

Maybe a disappointment, but not a bust.  He made some contributions, and a lot is forgiven for the great play he made against Denver in the playoffs in 2006.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If you expect a hall of famer from a first round pick then yes. 

Personally, the draft is a such a cr@pshoot that anyone who can stay on a roster, be a starter, and get a second contract really isn't a bust. 

I think it is mildly disappointing because of his potential, but at the same time, he was "good enough" for a while. 

If he weren't such a low selection, I think it would be easier to categorize him as such. I mean top five players really need to be very good to not be a bust. 

But come on. Unless you are cut from the team before your rookie contract ends, anything in the lower first or below really isn't a bust. 

Even a second rounder or third rounder that becomes a good backup and good ST contributor is worth something, imo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Ben Watson was definitely a bust. He was supposed to be as good a blocker as Daniel Graham(Not) and have the speed and hands of a big WR(Not). That's my definition of bust from a first round pick. I love ripping Watson and even if he does well somewhere else he never would have done it here. Sayonara Ben!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

No, he wasn't. He played well. The Pats did have some injury problems at the position at times but Watson was a good TE. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I was excited when they drafted him after hearing his 40 time and bench press. But man he did not impress. I don't know if he's a bust because in 6 years playing with NE he had 2102 yards and 20 td. He missed many games due to injury, he played in only 1 game his rookie season. He was a huge disappointment IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbert. Show philbert's posts

Drafted at the end of the first round.
    On the team for six years. Injured the first year.
    Started 46 of the 70 games he was in, the last five years.
    Averaged 30+ catches and 4 TD's in an offense per season that had him blocking most of the time.
    Worth what the Browns Paid him? no
    Under acheived expectations. Yes
    Bust? no

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Ben Watson - First round Bust?:
    If you expect a hall of famer from a first round pick then yes.  Personally, the draft is a such a cr@pshoot that anyone who can stay on a roster, be a starter, and get a second contract really isn't a bust.  I think it is mildly disappointing because of his potential, but at the same time, he was "good enough" for a while.  If he weren't such a low selection, I think it would be easier to categorize him as such. I mean top five players really need to be very good to not be a bust.  But come on. Unless you are cut from the team before your rookie contract ends, anything in the lower first or below really isn't a bust.  Even a second rounder or third rounder that becomes a good backup and good ST contributor is worth something, imo.
    Posted by zbellino

Absolutely true Z.

I will be watching his numbers to see if the trend of TE's who leave NE have their receiving numbers go up continues or not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Tough to answer but, I say no because he has delivered decent numbers for that position but, if you are talking what you thought he would give the Patriots (looking at potential from raw numbers) and what he actually gave them then maybe the answer is yes but he never had a "Huge" impact @ Georgia either just steady numbers. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Cmon this isnt even up for debate , of coarse he was. Hed be a bust if we took him in the second round. Seriously the best thing he did for us in 6 years was run down Champ. He had one good year thats it , besides 06' he did nothing. He had less than 30 catches three times , like a said even in the 2nd round this guys a bust. You dont draft a TE in the first round just to block and essentially thats what hes been. Im sorry hes been a terrible tight end. Seriously whens the last time he went over the middle and made a tough catch...or for that matter even gone over the middle. The guy has run the same f'in seem route for 6 years LOL! I cant believe some of you actually think hes been good here. But then again your the same people who slurp this guy ZBELL , who doesnt know half as much as he/you think. The other day he said that Ware and Suggs could play in space and drop back in coverage. Now Im sorry , but you dont have to be an expert to know thats just not true , not even close LOL. This is the same guy who said Seymor wouldnt have made a difference this year , are you kidding me? Teams practically announced before the game that they were going to run and run at what would have been his side. Now listen I would have made the deal in a heartbeat , but to say he wouldnt have made a difference is just foolish. He still has plenty left in the tank , is/has been one of the best run stopping End's in the game and showed as much in Oakland. These are just two of the...well dumb statements from him. Sorry its harsh , but thats what they were. And like many on here he will say something completely foolish and run away , fearing a lil' debate with anyone who actually knows what their talking about. Watson is a bust and so is Maroney , how long are we going to use the potential arguement?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Yes he was. He dropped way too many passes and wasn't as good a blocking TE as he was suppposed to be. I don't know if it was the way he was used but he certainly didn't live up to expectations. He showed glimpses of being very good but was way too inconsistant. With Moss being double teamed and Welker being Welker you would have expected big Ben to be able to play a bigger part in the offense but he was almost invisible at times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

You only have so many plays from scrimmage.  If you are setting reception records with your #1 and #2 receivers you are not going to be completing a whole lot of passes to your remaining receivers.  Brady determined where the ball went, at least within the framework of the offensive strategy he was given.

In the Superbowl Winning offenses of the Patriots past, where Brady was hitting 7 different players a game, Watson's numbers would be better than what they were with the Patriots present approach.

I wish him good luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Another former Patriot that will flounder on a crap team. If only the brownies wanted him that says alot of what the rest of the league thought of him.

Sections
Shortcuts