Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost

How stupid is Welker?

He knows you DO NOT RUN YOUR MOUTH ON THIS TEAM!

And he still did it.

Maybe not stupid, how about arrogant?

If you're going to blame someone, blame the right person. It's like the drunk driver who gets pissed at the cop for pulling him over. Ummmm, who's the d u m b a s s that made the mistake?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

Welker was benched for ONE offensive series and it had absolutly no bearing on the outcome of the game................Pats choked on a Di@k for the 3rd consecutive playoff game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Cut off your nose to spite your face.

I think BB was out of line to hurt the team just to flex his dictatorial muscle.

Is BB going senile on us? It is indeed a fact that most, if not all, great coaches never win anything once they reached BB's age.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The benching had no bearing on the game. The drive without Welker was going just fine until Brady floated up an incredibly bad interception.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Please runrunandrun away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^ If Wes was on the field he would of never of been throwing in BJGE direction in the first place.....Think about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

In Response to Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost:
    How stupid and stubborn is Coach Belichek? Bench your best receiver because he joked with the media about Jets coach Ryan foot fetish. You could see Welker stewing before the game and if you ever played sports you know team chemistry is huge. Why would you do anything to disrupt a team playing as well as the Pats were playing,especially in a playoff game. If Belichek wanted to fine Welker OK,but don't bench the man and destroy the teams morale. Belichek lost this game period with this stupid benching.The other reason NE lost was playing Crumpler . Why do the Pats start Crumpler at TE ? He is slow and can't catch and should be a bench player only. Take care Run
    Posted by runrunandrun

I have no issue with BB disciplining WW, however I was very surprised that he kept him out for the first series.  Would liked to have seen something that didn't have a chance to adversely impact the game.  We won't know if it had an impact on the morale or mindset of the team, but so much went wrong that it seems like a stretch to say that is the reason why the Pats lost.  They just played very poorly tonight - not characteristic this team.  Fortunately for the Jets, they caught the Pats on an off day.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I do agree that Belichick made some boneheaded calls tonight (the fake punt, wasting time in the 4th quarter like he was posessed by Andy Reid) but the Welker benching was not the reason why they lost. Personally, I would not have benched Welker, but the reason they lost was because the Jets are the better team. The scoreboard never lies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsMonkTime. Show ItsMonkTime's posts

This is a ridiculous assertion. Having said that, and having watched the Welker press conference, I'm shocked that, given how deadpan Wes was, and in a country as tone deaf to word play and subtlety and irony as ours, anyone even picked up on the joke in the first place.  It was really small potatoes, I think. All I can say is, while I'm glad B.B. is the Pats' coach, I'm glad _I_ don't have to work for him! Maybe the whole thing was Bill's idea, and he just got mad because Wes scooped him on it....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Why wouldn't Brady throw it to BJGE if Welker was in the game? He threw it to BJGE later in the game when Welker was in there. The play looked like it had potential if the pass hadn't have been so bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

It wasn't Belichick that was mismanaging time. It was O'Brien. Belichick is not involved in every offensive play call and that's why you could read his lips at the end of the game; he was telling O'Brien to throw the ball instead of running it and killing clock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The benching had nothing to do with the loss.  Th epatriots offense was smoking hot in the first quarter.  But when that quarter ended with the Pats up 3 - 0, it was a VERY bad sign

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Belichicks the head coach and he had a headset on. He could have made O'Brien do what he wanted him to do. It wasn't all the running plays that killed all the clock. It was all the long huddles between plays in my opinion. Those running plays actually led to some much needed first downs. I would have preferred more passing down the field but Brady was uncomfortable with the pressure all night long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeverWasACurse. Show NeverWasACurse's posts

In Response to Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost:
    How stupid and stubborn is Coach Belichek? Bench your best receiver because he joked with the media about Jets coach Ryan foot fetish. You could see Welker stewing before the game and if you ever played sports you know team chemistry is huge. Why would you do anything to disrupt a team playing as well as the Pats were playing,especially in a playoff game. If Belichek wanted to fine Welker OK,but don't bench the man and destroy the teams morale. Belichek lost this game period with this stupid benching.The other reason NE lost was playing Crumpler . Why do the Pats start Crumpler at TE ? He is slow and can't catch and should be a bench player only. Take care Run
    Posted by runrunandrun

???? Are you kidding me???
     I guess sacking Brady 5X didn't mean anything???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I think you can throw a lot of blame around the Pats and credit to the Jets, but I don't think benching Welker was all that crucial.  Welker had a decent game.

On my blame list, Brady has to be no. 1.  For most of the game he was out of it, as we have seen him check-out in big games before, always after throwing an INT or fumbling.  He just folds when he makes a big mistake and gets that pouty look.  He finally got back on his horse, but way too late.  In fact, as soon as he threw that pick, I turned to my step-dad and told him, "That's it, they are going to lose.  Brady never plays well after he throws a pick in a big game."

Brady also was the cause of some of those sacks.  He has to realize that he needs to run if his receivers are covered. It will keep the D honest.  He was back there an eternity and you can only expect so much from the blockers.

Second, O'Brien called a dud.  The Jets were daring the Pats to run early.  The Pats were running well early, so why did O'Brien stop it? Instead, more forcing passes that went incomplete or resulted in sacks, just like last year.  No patience. When he finally decided to return to the run, it is when he should have been calling a hurry-up.  He wasted soooo much time on that late drive that stalled on a bad pass to Branch on 4th down.  That was the game, right there, IMO.

Then Woodhead.  What happened to the guy?  Three fumbles in two games? Get him to a sports psychologist and fix him. He was horrid.  Including that cut to the left when the run blocking was all to the right, which killed a drive and could have resulted in a big gain.  And the dropped passes. Ugh.

As for the fake punt.  Terribly risky play that would have worked if Chung was paying attention. Hated the play call on that part of the field.  Hated the execution even more.

D was okay, but no big plays in this game.  Too bad.  Just one may have made a difference.  Wilfork did his job.  But no sacks and no INTs. How?

I can't believe I am typing this, but I think they made a mistake not playing Edleman more.  He seemed fired up and when he was allowed, he made big plays.

As for the Jets, I think the trash talk worked, getting into Brady's head, who also may need to see a sports psychologist - the guy keeps performing horribly in big play-off games, but excels in the regular season. There is a reason for that and it isn't physical.  I've written this before.

Jets called a good D, like the Packers. They harried Brady with just a three-man rush by using their other eight to blanket the receivers. I was a afriad they would do this.  Kyrptonite to Brady.

Also, the Jets almost never made a mistake. Perhaps allowing the Pats to run down the field on their last scoring drive was a mistake.  We've seen the Pats allow that for two seasons, so should not knitpick. Jets came to play and play they did.

I called this a rebuilding year last August and thought they would bow-out in their first play-off game, but I never expected a season like this. It is tough to be pleased with this season, considering how hapless they looked for most of this game, and then how frustratingly close they came to a come-back win. But really, with the players they fielded, and all that youth, plus an O/C still learning his lessons, you have to be excited about the future. Experince all around and bulidng more chemistry means to me they will be better next year, as long as they don't less this game dog them.

Fix Brady in the head, as far as folding in big games after making a mistake. Get another solid RB.  Get another speed rusher at OLB and aother dominant DL.  Retain Makins.  Not a lot to fix, really.

Last, I would like to point out the really good game Shane Graham had.  Everbody was saying he would be the weak link, but he had a perfect game.  You could not ask for two better onside kicks in a game.  Heck, I can't remember ever seeing two better onside kicks done back-to-back. Too bad the Pats couldn't recover either kick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsHaterinCO. Show PatsHaterinCO's posts

In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost:
    Cut off your nose to spite your face. I think BB was out of line to hurt the team just to flex his dictatorial muscle. Is BB going senile on us? It is indeed a fact that most, if not all, great coaches never win anything once they reached BB's age.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007
    That is just it.  Bellichek is not a great coach, just a great cheater.  Without knowing what the other team is doing every play before they do, Bellichek and Brady are NOTHING!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : That is just it.  Bellichek is not a great coach, just a great cheater.  Without knowing what the other team is doing every play before they do, Bellichek and Brady are NOTHING!!!!
    Posted by PatsHaterinCO

AH,the Ward Churchill crowd again. Do you always display your ignorance with such abandon?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Welker was benched for ONE offensive series and it had absolutly no bearing on the outcome of the game................Pats choked on a Di@k for the 3rd consecutive playoff game.
    Posted by Hannahman

Agree. It had no outcome. But Bart Scott threatened him with bodily harm and there are no fines so far.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

hate to say it but thats another reason bel is isolating some of his players. no wonder a jason taylor went to the jets. what the heck did welker say or do that was so bad? ut was funny and very necessary for that locker room. how much can you here the other guys  yap without any retaliation in some way. it was witty. bel should have had him do an extra lap or have the whole team do it and blame welk's mouth or as a way to keep their feet going... i know bb is a very liberal democrat and i hate to say it.. all his controlling issues clearly reflect that. ryan is an open republican. his emphasis on freedom and etolerance of xpression at least as it relates to commenting on OTHER teams is a breath of fresh air. welk should have been in there.. period! no need for that chaos. bel has to loosen the wad in his panties!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

hate to say it but thats another reason bel is isolating some of his players. no wonder a jason taylor went to the jets. what the heck did welker say or do that was so bad? ut was funny and very necessary for that locker room. how much can you here the other guys  yap without any retaliation in some way. it was witty. bel should have had him do an extra lap or have the whole team do it and blame welk's mouth or as a way to keep their feet going... i know bb is a very liberal democrat and i hate to say it.. all his controlling issues clearly reflect that. ryan is an open republican. his emphasis on freedom and etolerance of xpression at least as it relates to commenting on OTHER teams is a breath of fresh air. welk should have been in there.. period! no need for that chaos. bel has to loosen the wad in his panties!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

It isn't Welker's locker room. It is Belichick's. He told them not to engage in the word play. I don't believe Belichick is the type to be ambiguous about these type of messages. Welker chose to go against a direct order from his coach and got his hand slapped. 

Please leave your dimly lit theories in trying to stretch this into a fatuous political argument where it belongs. But don't sit down too hard on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : It isn't Welker's locker room. It is Belichick's. He told them not to engage in the word play. I don't believe Belichick is the type to be ambiguous about these type of messages. Welker chose to go against a direct order from his coach and got his hand slapped.  Please leave your dimly lit theories in trying to stretch this into a fatuous political argument where it belongs. But don't sit down too hard on it.
    Posted by EnochRoot

yep yep, does he bench brady in the same situation? yep lets start hoyer for a series to show the team who is boss. that was unnecessary. cutting off your nose to spite your face. you fine him and tear him up in private or in front of the team. welk had plausible deniability regarding his comments. the reporters in the room did not even catch on . no one did til deadspin intervened. y is bel wasting time on such minutiae? brady said he hated the jets and was y he would not hard knocks. did he get suspended or publically berated? there have to be bigger issues to worry about come playoff time... guess ryan has proven that by focusing on x and o and what happens directly on the field you canoutshine the micromanaging liberal!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCurtainStainer. Show TheCurtainStainer's posts

Cromartie was right.  Karma is not something to be taken lightly, though his language was, say, a bit more colorful.  I particularly liked the Jet's two "injuries" that stopped Patriot drives cold.  They were reminiscent of Willie McGinnest's Golden Globe-worthy performance at the RCA Dome followed by a sprint to mid field to desecrate our turf and celebrate your victory back in '04...kind of like all of those Jets flying around the razor after last night's game.  Those two drive killing time outs might have cost the Pats the game, and they were straight out of the BB...er...play book, if you aren't too embarrassed to call it that

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Benching Welker Reason Patriots Lost : yep yep, does he bench brady in the same situation? yep lets start hoyer for a series to show the team who is boss. that was unnecessary. cutting off your nose to spite your face. you fine him and tear him up in private or in front of the team. welk had plausible deniability regarding his comments. the reporters in the room did not even catch on . no one did til deadspin intervened. y is bel wasting time on such minutiae? brady said he hated the jets and was y he would not hard knocks. did he get suspended or publically berated? there have to be bigger issues to worry about come playoff time... guess ryan has proven that by focusing on x and o and what happens directly on the field you canoutshine the micromanaging liberal!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Really - do you just write stuff for the sake of being a fool or are you a fool who writes stuff? Why are you even trying to make it a argument on the political spectrum? It doesn't even make sense. I just don't know why you bother. Did someone once tell you that you were intelligent or something? I am just at a loss as to why you keep opening your mouth....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I'm not going to say that benching Welker for one series is or was that crucial to the entire game itself, but I will question the decision...Especially in regards to the whole Logan Mankins scenario.  Please explain to me how someone can publicly criticize the Pats organization and then hold out for a certain amount of time, come back, and re claim his starting position like nothing ever happened. Then you have another guy make some comments about another teams coach and he gets benched for a series in a play off game.  And really, how much of a punishment is benching really? Why even bench somebody in a play off game? What did it really solve besides handicapping your team, if only for a series. I'm sure some other form of punishment could have been issued to Welker besides that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tnpatfan. Show tnpatfan's posts

The benching of Welker had the same effect on the moral of this team, just as the trading of lawyer Miloy had a calamitous affect on that teams, game against Buffalo.
    A teams momentum balance is a delicate, and it does not take much to get them off their game concentration.

Sections
Shortcuts