Bengals extend Andy Dalton - 6 years, $115 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Bengals extend Andy Dalton - 6 years, $115 million

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11306771/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-reach-six-year-115-million-deal" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11306771/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-reach-six-year-115-million-deal

Schefter also reported it on twitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Bengals extend Andy Dalton - 6 years, $115 million

If the guaranteed money isn't too bad, I don't think this is a bad deal for Cincy. Dalton is a good QB overall, but he needs to find it in the post season (although I blame this partly on the HC as well).

Plus, can they find anyone better? I'm not sure they could.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the guaranteed money isn't too bad, I don't think this is a bad deal for Cincy. Dalton is a good QB overall, but he needs to find it in the post season (although I blame this partly on the HC as well).

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks TB. He really helped the Pats against the cap

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

$19 mil a year?  Seems like an awful lot for Andy Dalton, with whom I've never been overly impressed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Dalton is a good QB overall

I don't agree.  49 picks in 48 games played is meh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

All depends upon the guaranteed money

Thjey also have to look at who could they get to replace him -

Probably not any better than Dalton

that said, as a Gm I dont see that sort of money

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

@pcm - Good might not be the best word...I suppose "decent" might be better. He reminds me of Eli Manning without the playoff accolades.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

All depends upon the guaranteed money

Thjey also have to look at who could they get to replace him -

Probably not any better than Dalton

that said, as a Gm I dont see that sort of money

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

[/QUOTE]

That's my point. Decent QBs get this kind of money nowadays due to the uncertainty of whether or not the team can replace him...or the whole "known vs unknown" thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Andy Dalton? Andy f**kin' Dalton?  Seriously? 

But, as has been amply pointed out by my brother posters, the devil's in the deails.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Andy Dalton? Andy f**kin' Dalton?  Seriously? 

But, as has been amply pointed out by my brother posters, the devil's in the deails.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't really looked into it, but NFL Network is reporting it's similar to Kap's deal with a 2 year lock in and a pretty easy escape ater that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow, personally I think he is an average player, nothing more, nothing less. Just goes to show you that you have to have the QB...overpaying ...reaching...are all the things that are going to happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, personally I think he is an average player, nothing more, nothing less. Just goes to show you that you have to have the QB...overpaying ...reaching...are all the things that are going to happen.

[/QUOTE]

Basically this. QBs are not cheap at all nowadays. The average/decent ones get close to 20 million, and it only goes up after that for the better ones.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Thanks TB. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

HAHAHA these new QB contracts are sorry man. talk about killing the cap for your team. this team still needs to sign AJ Green too. I seriously thought McCarron could give Dalton a run for the starting job.

Amen we have Tom Brady who takes one for the team. Yes, his contract is 100% guaranteed but it's still not godawful vs. the cap for us. Thank You Brady

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HAHAHA these new QB contracts are sorry man. talk about killing the cap for your team. this team still needs to sign AJ Green too. I seriously thought McCarron could give Dalton a run for the starting job.

Amen we have Tom Brady who takes one for the team. Yes, his contract is 100% guaranteed but it's still not godawful vs. the cap for us. Thank You Brady

[/QUOTE]

If the rumors of the deal basically locking the Bengals into Dalton for two years and allowing them to escape after are true, then it seems they are setting it up so that if they like what they see from McCarron (or if Dalton continues to disappoint), they can go a different route.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Basically this. QBs are not cheap at all nowadays. The average/decent ones get close to 20 million, and it only goes up after that for the better ones.

[/QUOTE]

Yep - actually rather silly but apparently that's the market.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dalton is not bad, he just isnt great. He does have quite a few TD passes since entering the league and thats in part to A.J. Green but overall he is good enough because of the very good D they have. Same old story. Dalton has 2 years to win before his D starts to detoriate due to top defenders leaving for richer contracts.

He is a big arm QB who has gotten better steadily but has to prove he can win in postseason but thats the same with lots of young QBs. I would put him on par w/ Detroits young QB without all the gaudy yards thrown due to having CJ.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

He is a big arm QB

Isn't the biggest knock on Dalton his lack of arm strength?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Quite the contract for a quarterback without a playoff win to his credit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have never been sold on Andy Dalton. I sure wouldn't spend that type of money on him. 

Thanks TFB!!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Here is a good article on Dalton and why he might struggle to live up to expectations.

http://grantland.com/features/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-pressure/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

He is a big arm QB

Isn't the biggest knock on Dalton his lack of arm strength?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, Im not sure but its never looked like a problem to me. He has connected with more deep balls than any other QB to start his career I believe.  He has thrown 80 TD passes in his 1st 3 seasons, with only Manning and Brees topping him in that category. He threw too many pics last year(20) but also had 33 TDs and I think he had more attempts than he should have with that D and run game. I think they are grooming him to do it all which is what he will need to do once its time to pay guys later.

All in all I think he is a pretty good QB but just hasnt won in playoffs yet which Im not gonna knock him for. Weve seen the best struggle in postseason when faced with tough defenses. In his division, he can only get better. Cincy is at the top of the north until Ravens/Steelers get back so Hey, he is part of that. I compare him to Flacco..except Flacc had more experience and put together an awesome postseason but he is nothing special either.

QBs get lots of money. Do they deserve it?? IDk but the year before Dalton got there, they won 4 games. Since then, they have made the playoffs 3 years in a row. He will eventually win a playoff game but it aint easy. He has put them atop the division which is nothing to sneeze at.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Supposedly a good amount of the money is tied to playoff escalators. Makes the deal look better if it's true.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

He should really give AJ Green like 60% of that money, since he is the one who earned it. I don't get spending that much of your cap on a QB who looks to be chasing Peyton's playoff loss record.