Bengals=2007 Giants?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Bengals=2007 Giants?

First and foremost, I am not saying that they are going to win it all. However, I would not classify this team as a "bye week" for anyone playing them.

Back to 2007,

Pretty sure nobody picked the Giants in any of the playoff games they played in. Seriously, did any one of us even think they would have made it that far? If you say yes, you're probably lying. They had a coach on the hot seat and an inconsistent QB who was yet to win a playoff game. With a heavy dose of pass rush and a little bit of luck, they somehow managed to beat Favre and Brady in back to back championship games.

Now onto the Bengals,

Marvin Lewis is a coach who has been on the hot seat quite a bit. The Bengals are a team that have made the playoffs a fair amount in the last 4 years, but have yet to win a game. They are led by an inconsistent regular season QB who is yet to win a big game. That being said, the biggest thing for me is their Dline. Geno Atkins is a beast, anytime you can get interior pressure, you have a chance. Michael Johnson has quietly amassed 11.5 sacks while Carlos Dunlap has shown 10 sack potential.

This team is capable of getting pressure without blitzing. That is the recipe to beating the Brady's and the Manning's in the world. As long as Dalton doesnt stink, they actually have a decent chance.

Again, I'm not picking them to win the Super Bowl. I probably would not even pick them to beat Den or NE if it comes to it. Just saying it would not surprise me one bit if this team put together a good 4 game stretch. Also would not surprise me if this team was one and done, they make for a good underdog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Bengals=2007 Giants?

They are not to be undersestimated. That defense, especially the pass rush, is serious busniess. Then you have a developing Andy Dalton and A.J. Green--who might be the best wr in football. Dont take them lightly. The only game they lost in the second half of the season was the Dallas game, and they just made a couple dumb mistakes to lose that one, easily correctable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Marv Lewis as head coach??? Cmon MAN!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

And just to throw a mention to the other wild card team, I'm not as keen on them as I am on the Bengals.

This team does not really excel at anything on defense. If it comes to a potential shootout vs Brady or Manning, I don't think the defense is capable of slowing either and I don't think the offense is capable of keeping up.

They will be dangerous in the future, but right now they just feel like the feel good team of the year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Marv Lewis as head coach??? Cmon MAN!!!!

Yes, I've criticized him heavily in the past' however,

Eli Manning a two time MVP?

Rex Grossman playing in a Super Bowl?

Jim Caldwell going 14-0 and probably 16-0 if not for benching Manning?

David Tyree a Super Bowl legend?

Crazier things have happened. And like I said, they will probably need a little bit of luck

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

First and foremost, I am not saying that they are going to win it all. However, I would not classify this team as a "bye week" for anyone playing them.

Back to 2007,

Pretty sure nobody picked the Giants in any of the playoff games they played in. Seriously, did any one of us even think they would have made it that far? If you say yes, you're probably lying. They had a coach on the hot seat and an inconsistent QB who was yet to win a playoff game. With a heavy dose of pass rush and a little bit of luck, they somehow managed to beat Favre and Brady in back to back championship games.

Now onto the Bengals,

Marvin Lewis is a coach who has been on the hot seat quite a bit. The Bengals are a team that have made the playoffs a fair amount in the last 4 years, but have yet to win a game. They are led by an inconsistent regular season QB who is yet to win a big game. That being said, the biggest thing for me is their Dline. Geno Atkins is a beast, anytime you can get interior pressure, you have a chance. Michael Johnson has quietly amassed 11.5 sacks while Carlos Dunlap has shown 10 sack potential.

This team is capable of getting pressure without blitzing. That is the recipe to beating the Brady's and the Manning's in the world. As long as Dalton doesnt stink, they actually have a decent chance.

Again, I'm not picking them to win the Super Bowl. I probably would not even pick them to beat Den or NE if it comes to it. Just saying it would not surprise me one bit if this team put together a good 4 game stretch. Also would not surprise me if this team was one and done, they make for a good underdog

The Bengals have been toeing the line for a few years of being the best AFC North team. I believe it was last year or the one before that they swept the division and thats not easy. I believe their defense has surpassed both Bmore and Steelers and all that is left is for them to get more experience for Big Red and get B.Scott back at RB because we all know you cant win a SB with Benny as the lead back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Never can tell.

A 10-6 team that really should have been an 11-5 team. If it weren't for that quirk-of-nature loss to Dallas, they'd be riding an 8-game win streak right now. They have a lot of talent, but it still feels like they're a year or two away.

Could be wrong, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Yeah . . .   those Cincy Bungles are really on the come.

Oh . . .  and watch out for the Detroit Lions, too!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Yeah . . .   those Cincy Bungles are really on the come.

Oh . . .  and watch out for the Detroit Lions, too!

Not close to the same thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

No way. These guys don't not have the talent to make it to the SB.

And we know the jersey jints were lucky that year, thanks to Favre and his OT INT

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

all boils down to matchups.  If what you say is true: that the Bengals can put pressure on brady with just 3-4 DL rushing AND they can cover - just to keep the game close, then the Bengals have a chance at beating the Patriots should they meet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

all boils down to matchups.  If what you say is true: that the Bengals can put pressure on brady with just 3-4 DL rushing AND they can cover - just to keep the game close, then the Bengals have a chance at beating the Patriots should they meet.

A chance yes, but I dont think they would. Im just saying they shouldnt be overlooked, or looked at as pushovers. They do have a ferocious pass rush.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Back to 2007,

Now onto the Bengals,

By the way I was scared to death of the 2007 Giants in the super bowl after they beat the Cowboys in the 2nd round. I was rooting like heck for the Packers to win that NFC championship game. The Pats barely beat the Giants in that week 17 win. I did not want to see them again. I felt the Pats would maul the Packers. Before the Redskins win i was not too worried but during the Cowboys game the Giants started to really scare me. Last year I was not afraid the Giants at all. I really thought the Pats would win until the Welker pass when I started to think the Giants are going to get the ball back with plenty of time left. I still think the Pats are better than the Giants but the scoreboard doesn't lie i guess.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

yeah ive been thinking that too, not that the bengals will advance to the super bowl but that they could give teams trouble in the playoffs. they have a good defense and a couple of good recievers. this isn't the bengals of a few years ago. 

as ive said several times here, my biggest or only real concern is how is the officiating going to be when we play in denver. manning always gets the phantom PI call when playing the Patriots. Calls where the replay shows that the db didn't even touch the reciever, leaving even the announcers scratching their heads. when a 3rd down stop turns into first and goal at the one it can certainly change the outcome of a game. that said, the patriots are too good to be beat by a bad call, as long as they play their game and don't turn the ball over they beat anyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think if you look back at almost every teams run to a Superbowl in the salary cap era, you can probably point to a half a dozen plays that had the ball bounced differently. The outcome of the game would differ? Call it luck, fate whatever. It's part of why the "that's why we play the games" montra is still a call to arms by every underdog. End of the day in the new NFL if you can collapse the pocket and get sustained pressure on the opposing QB you got a fighting chance...In the case of the Bengals they certainly have a shot, as does every team in the tournament with a chip and a chair.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I think Cinci could well be a dark horse in the playoffs. Having said that, I dotn think there is any comparison to the Gi-ants. Marvin Lewis has $ucked for much longer than Tom Coughlin did!

Sections
Shortcuts