Benny's Big Adventure.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Benny's Big Adventure.

The excuses have changed over the past 5 years... let's reminisce...

"It's a passing league now, running is a relic of the past."

"We're a pass first team, Tom Brady is our best player so why take the ball out of his hands."

"The offensive line is not built for running, they don't have the talent to run block."

"We don't have a deep threat WR so we can't run, the offense can't take the top off a defense."

"Our runningbacks aren't talented enough."

"If you run better you'll run more, it's so obvious."

Now everybody loves the power running game and they were calling for it all these years... we just didn't hear you I guess?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Personally, I like the diversity of the offense.  I do wish we had a better deep game, but an improved running game helps.  It is worth pointing out, though, that this team still runs shotgun spread formation plays about half the time and passes 56% of the time.  

The huge difference Wozzy notes amounts to about 3% of plays or 2 or 3 plays a game. 

Most of what we are seeing is better execution in the run this year.  A lot of that has to do with a better running back and maybe a bit better blocking from the TE position.  

The Pats have not become an I-formation team . . .

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah there's absolutely no difference in being ranked 2nd in rushing attempts this year as opposed to 17th last season.  

Hopefully McDaniels will not pull an O'Brien and stop running once the playoffs begin, or better yet insert Woody as the every down back...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, guys, we have run more plays this year, so the absolute number of rushing attempts has gone up. Let's do some simple math: 

2012--1191 scrimmage plays, 523 of them runs, for 43.9%.

2011--1082 scrimmage plays, 438 of them runs, for 40.5%. 

In terms of the mix, our balance has changed by 3.4 percentage points. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah there's absolutely no difference in being ranked 2nd in rushing attempts this year as opposed to 17th last season.  

Hopefully McDaniels will not pull an O'Brien and stop running once the playoffs begin, or better yet insert Woody as the every down back...

[/QUOTE]

sounds like Wozzy and Rusty need to get a room.

There were plenty of people here who recognized the need for us to run it more its just that we also recognized the need to have more talent at the position in order to do so. Why is this so hard for your robots to understand?  Anyone who knows football can tell you that keeping the ball in your # 1 rated QB hands is better than handing off to the 47th best rusher in the league. Brady is almost 100% in Qb sneaks as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Our old pal Benny wrapped up the first season of his Bengals career resting on the bench and posting 278 carries for 1094 yards and 6 TDs. His 3.9 ypc is significantly below the NFL average of 4.3 ypc, and was better than only one player among the top 20 yardage leaders.

All in all, Benny was/is exactly what some said he was/is. A so-so back. The rest of you were wrong, and will continue to be wrong. I'm glad Benny was able to parlay his mediocrity into some financial security at the expense of the Bengals though.

[/QUOTE]

On the  issue of Benny I agree AND disagree with you Babe. He is, OVERALL, not really the sort of back you want as your feature back. And so I agree with you. BUT, many backs have skills that are very worthwhile not only for your roster but to figure into packages that use their skills. Benny has some REAL limitations but he also has some REAL NICE qualities. He usually is a smart runner, he runs very tough, he is good in short yardage, he is dependable and consistent and he does not fumble very much (he had a short bout this year but he is solid this way). He is also a good team player.

If you measure him as a true feature back, even in a system where you use a thrid daown back and also another back to spell the feature back to keep him healthy, Benny is jsut mediocre. His inablilty to break runs off once he gets to the next level is just oo limiting (though I guess he did break a couple of runs this year - finally). But if you look at him for what he is - a very good role player with well defined roles - then he is a solid player for your roster.

Bottom line - in this day and age I think it is a good idea to take a page from BBs book: rather than think of "starter" and "backup" you look for players who are very good at certain roles, you want players that have more than one single solid role they can play, and you create the make up of the roster by making sure you have all the roles you want to cover covered by at least 2 players.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I would add that if you can get a true feature back then of course you want him. Just because you are looking to insure you can fill particualr roles for particular packages does not mean you do not forsake a true feature player....   And Benny is not really a true feature player (unless he finds a way to improve his quickness in cutting in the next level).

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would add that if you can get a true feature back then of course you want him. Just because you are looking to insure you can fill particualr roles for particular packages does not mean you do not forsake a true feature player....   And Benny is not really a true feature player (unless he finds a way to improve his quickness in cutting in the next level).

[/QUOTE]

We'll never have a "feature back" here because BB doesn't draft them in Rd 1 (minus Maroney) and he doesn't look for them in their primes in FA. It;s not part of his cap formula, which I've explained dozens of time to the Babe Group here.

It's why I liked his Vereen and Ridley moves in the draft AND acquiring NOs draft picks which turned out to be Chandler Jones. Talk about a fleecing. Gee, Chandler Jones, Ridley and Vereen or Mark Ingram? Yes, I know Ridley and Vereen weren't traded directly in place of Ingram or vice versa, but how can anyone not like that approach?

So, it's pointless to scapegoat BJGE. Of course he's "mediocre" when compared to the Adrian Peterson's of the league, but that doesn't mean he's "mediocre here. Or in Cincy. He's an above average RB who has more pluses than negatives. Clearly.

[/QUOTE]

Right... Agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There were plenty of people here who recognized the need for us to run it more its just that we also recognized the need to have more talent at the position in order to do so. Why is this so hard for your robots to understand?  Anyone who knows football can tell you that keeping the ball in your # 1 rated QB hands is better than handing off to the 47th best rusher in the league. Brady is almost 100% in Qb sneaks as well.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Shizzly!  How is it with your worst nightmare coming true?  Enjoy yesterday's game without Brady tossing wild INTs, a committed run early in the game and no panic, with our D playing great even with the backups mostly playing?

lmao

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I dont comprehend crazy talk. When you get over yourself plus your hangover, maybe we can talk football. I swear you get more and more Ill as the weeks go by. Are you dying or something?..really, serious question. This is bigger than football. I mean you claim to be a genius, know all about football and boast a 152 IQ but I just dont see it. I already told you last week was Christmas for you. I was afraid of what I might find on here after Brady played poorly vs the Jags and Chung had 2 pics so I started a thread saying enjoy your week and you still got hosed all week. Now you wanna ask me about this last game where we escaped relatively healthy, the defense pitched a shut out and the offense was good??!?!  Let me make this clear. I am a Patriots Fan who will ALWAYS cheer a WIN! I dont play these games of blaming offense or defense like you. I root for the Patriots! Not a Unit, Corky! Get it?  So go take your agenda somewhere else. Im thrilled that we have a Bye! and yet you still find ways to turn this board into a pissing contest...lol   Hope the New Year brings you NEW words to use, new agendas(lord knows weve grown tired of brady bashing)and hopefully NEW LIFE for YOU!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And if Arian Foster was benched for rest yesterday, like Benny, then he would have ended the season with a 3.96 YPC.  Gee, that's below the league average.  He sucks.

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's better we go by your opinion than facts. Keep us posted on who is good/bad since we can't rely on measurables.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Babe you vagboy. You're whole premise for not signing BJGE was that the Pats didn't need a running game. You morphed into all the ypc stuff after it was shown that the increased emphasis on a run game was good for the offense.

In other words you're still full of crap

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Babe you took a lot of abuse for this weekly thread, but you were right all along. Benny pulled a hamstring in warmups yesterday and his team performed no better or worse than if he played. The Bengals win because of their defense and passing game.

BJGE=good guy, feel good story, try hard, doesn't fumble, but not enough of a reason to take the ball out of Brady's hands and ruin drives.

To think that the regional pink hats were peeing their pants after Benny had a few good runs against the Ravens opening night...

[/QUOTE]

Some people just have these notions that no diamond hard fact can even scratch the surface of. These types never ever alter their view on these things. It's a bad O-line, turf toe or some coaching deficiency. It's just not the guy they love. Foolishness, nonsense, silliness and just plain pig-headedness. Then they get all huffy when you point out the facts. 

I would have no problem if Benny was still with us as a backup. Ridley is better, but no superstar, as of yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Our old pal Benny wrapped up the first season of his Bengals career resting on the bench and posting 278 carries for 1094 yards and 6 TDs. His 3.9 ypc is significantly below the NFL average of 4.3 ypc, and was better than only one player among the top 20 yardage leaders.

All in all, Benny was/is exactly what some said he was/is. A so-so back. The rest of you were wrong, and will continue to be wrong. I'm glad Benny was able to parlay his mediocrity into some financial security at the expense of the Bengals though.

[/QUOTE]

When you've got a Jones, you really do exhaust it, don't you?

[/QUOTE]

When you're being a worthless know nothing troll, you really exhaust it, don't you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

All this proves is that for a full season behind a great offensive Line Benny averages 4.4 yards per carry and on the sorry Bengals he averages 3.9 YPC.  

Doesn't change the fact we should have built a power run game around Brady after 2007 or that we're a substantially better team with one.  McDaniels and BB seemingly agree with this sentiment.

Nobody is overestimating Law Firms talent level, you apparently just don't understand football enough to distinguish between a soft, finesse offense that folds in crunchtime VS a power running, smashmouth offense that can control the time of possession and execute under duress.  You can't tell the difference, so you blame the defense, the runningbacks or anybody to prove you haven't been wrong all along.

This year is a return to smashmouth football, learn it, live it, love it.

[/QUOTE]

Ridley's worst year was 4.4, which is Benny's best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Looks like Babe is PMS today. Never happy unless whining.

Tell me again how we didn't need to get back to running and play action?

Phony fantasy football 'expert'

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Alge Crumpler was a pretty good blocker too . . . 

Ridley is way better than Benny.  Much quicker in his cuts, better straightline speed, better ability to make tacklers miss and power through the first contact.  

And Benny may actually be a better receiver than Ridley.  Ridley has not looked great catching the ball.  Neither are great receivers though, which is why Woodhead still gets plenty of snaps.  

Last year we actually did use Benny a lot more than people seem to think . . . the problem is Benny didn't have a big impact so people seem to forget he was out there . . . 

Only Wozzy and Rusty and Champ think there is a "pass happy" contingent.  We've all said the run is good if we have the talent to do it.  Last year, we didn't have the talent.  Belichick hasn't been an idiot since 2004.  He just hasn't had good talent for a running game.  He said it himself . . . 

[/QUOTE]

90% of our online fanbase is made up of Brady Fanboys. Most of them are teenie boppers, college kids, dropouts or an odd older contingent that somehow became googly eyed over Tom Brady.

The fact is, the 10% of us here or anywhere in internet land talking about these topics are the ones who are correct.

Sometimes the minority is the minority for a reason.

There is not ONE friend or family member of mine, or even co-workers who have noticed Brady and our offense's penchant for finesse based antics in the postseason/v.s. good Ds, who shares your opinion.

The interent Pats fan opinion is actually the minority opinion in reality.

Just because you Brady Fanboys are more vocal, are newer fans, don't know the game as well, etc, doesn't mean you're correct.  You're apparently the only fans around who think the basic concepts of the game need to be avoided or ignored because #12 is here.

[/QUOTE]

The fact is, 10% are people who don't know the game to save their lives.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like Babe is PMS today. Never happy unless whining.

Tell me again how we didn't need to get back to running and play action?

Phony fantasy football 'expert'

[/QUOTE]

Hi Rusty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally, I like the diversity of the offense.  I do wish we had a better deep game, but an improved running game helps.  It is worth pointing out, though, that this team still runs shotgun spread formation plays about half the time and passes 56% of the time.  

The huge difference Wozzy notes amounts to about 3% of plays or 2 or 3 plays a game. 

Most of what we are seeing is better execution in the run this year.  A lot of that has to do with a better running back and maybe a bit better blocking from the TE position.  

The Pats have not become an I-formation team . . .

[/QUOTE]

This post is entirely too sensible for any thread involving Babe

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Shizzly!  How is it with your worst nightmare coming true?  Enjoy yesterday's game without Brady tossing wild INTs, a committed run early in the game and no panic, with our D playing great even with the backups mostly playing?

lmao

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I dont comprehend crazy talk. When you get over yourself plus your hangover, maybe we can talk football. I swear you get more and more Ill as the weeks go by. Are you dying or something?..really, serious question. This is bigger than football. I mean you claim to be a genius, know all about football and boast a 152 IQ but I just dont see it. I already told you last week was Christmas for you. I was afraid of what I might find on here after Brady played poorly vs the Jags and Chung had 2 pics so I started a thread saying enjoy your week and you still got hosed all week. Now you wanna ask me about this last game where we escaped relatively healthy, the defense pitched a shut out and the offense was good??!?!  Let me make this clear. I am a Patriots Fan who will ALWAYS cheer a WIN! I dont play these games of blaming offense or defense like you. I root for the Patriots! Not a Unit, Corky! Get it?  So go take your agenda somewhere else. Im thrilled that we have a Bye! and yet you still find ways to turn this board into a pissing contest...lol   Hope the New Year brings you NEW words to use, new agendas(lord knows weve grown tired of brady bashing)and hopefully NEW LIFE for YOU!

[/QUOTE]

You don't, though.  You have been on here for years mocking Belichick as well. This is why you go quiet when the D looks good.  The fact is, the D has been the side of the ball to spark anything good in the last month. It happened again last night on the Gregory INT and how they answered by holding MIami's offense down in the first half (and beyond).

I have yet to see you start one thread, defensive related, that points out ANYTHING positive.

You're no different than Hurlie, Pezzy, Babe. Everyone knows it, Shizzles. Now go deal some dope and post a picture of your framed GED.

[/QUOTE]

You are so off base, I dont even know where to begin. The truth is I love defense!  The fact is, the past few years there really hasnt been much to cheer for in regards to the D. I would love to give them props, but Im not gonna Praise a defense that contunually finishes last or next to last in passing yards given up and one that has been horrible in 3rd down defense. I dont have to make any threads about defense and I dont start threads to Praise Brady either so thats false again. I loved our defenses of years past so what? Im supposed to say players are great when they are not?? I was Chungs biggest fan his 1st 2 years here and since then he has s*cked bad! So im supposed to ignore that? I dont have a bias when making my analysis and there in lies YOUR problem that is on display for all to see on a daily and also evidence by the fact you can only make positive defensive threads twice a year. I joke with you about the D because you held some very s*ck a ss players in some high regards that i didnt but all in all, I would love for the D to improve and be a better unit and I gave props when that happened a month ago once Talib n Dennard started to play.

This all goes back to your lack of ability to Guage, evaluate, players who are here on this defense. Going back to McKenzie, Butler, Wheatley,Haynsworth, etc who I called out for being inferior and not making the grade, and me being right while you praised these players until the day they were cut just hoping I wouldnt be proved right. Remember MVPKILLA???? same with him, he didnt want to take my analysis because HE didnt have the ability to evaluate talent. I DO. Its not hard. Its called "if a player sucks, say he sucks."  T-Cal is very good as this as well.....lol