BENSON

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

BENSON

If Cinci does not sign Benson what say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: BENSON

If the point of signing a FA RB is to upgrade the talent at the position then I would not want Benson here.  That's not even considering that he is approaching 30 and RBs fall off a cliff real fast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: BENSON:
    [QUOTE]If the point of signing a FA RB is to upgrade the talent at the position then I would not want Benson here.  That's not even considering that he is approaching 30 and RBs fall off a cliff real fast.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Corey Dillon didn't???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Why would you ever compare Benson to Corey Dillion? Btw Corey Dillion only had the one great year for us, then he basically handicapped us for the next 2. I love what he did in 04, but hated the fall off in next season...either due to his age or his laziness he came back off of a SB championship a different person.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Also 0% chance Benson is an upgrade to BJGE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BENSON : Corey Dillon didn't???
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Okay, but the risk was worth the potential reward.  Dillon was coming of an injury, but was an elite back before that.  Benson has never been elite.  The two of them aren't even in the same league.  I mentioned earlier in the post that I don't think Benson is an upgrade over what we already have at RB.

Edit: I see Champ already beat me to it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I'd much rather get a guy like Peyton Hillis over Benson.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

No way, he's too old and not an upgrade over BJGE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BENSON : Agreed. I don't get why people think every FA is better than what we have here. I'll never get that logic.  If Benson actually was better than BJGE, fine, but he clearly is not. I swear these are fans who play too much fantasy football.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

I agree but at the same time if us signing a big FA RB would force us to use a running game more often then I would be all for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BENSON : Agreed. I don't get why people think every FA is better than what we have here. I'll never get that logic.  If Benson actually was better than BJGE, fine, but he clearly is not. I swear these are fans who play too much fantasy football.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Amen, Russ. Benson has been the focal point of that offense for the past 2 years, maybe not so much this past year than his first year but when the guy gets 30 carries a game, he's going to put up big 'fantasy' numbers. I'd love to see what Benny could do with 25+ carries a game and then see who claims Benson is an upgrade over the Law Firm.

We either go out and get a guy like MJD and let Benny walk, or we keep the core of what we have and actually USE the run. I'm excited to see what a healthy Vareen and a more confident Ridley will do next season. Get these kids in camp early and get their confidence rollin'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

For Chist's sake, why not just sign OJ Simpson?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

How about signing the best center and guard available (assuming Waters and Light are retiring) instead of a running back. Pats may already have the answer at RB in either Ridley, Vereen, or a combination of the two. They are young, fairly cheap, and both will have a full off season program this year, and not be getting thrown to the wolves as they were last year. Running backs can't do much if there are no holes to run through. I read that Cannon is moving to tackle, as the Pats may be concerned with Vollmers ability to come back from the back issues. Still prefer to sigh a safety and OLB over anything offensively...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Benson puts the ball on the ground too much for my liking.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Benson is better than BGJE.

Thats not even debatable.

Keep riding Benny's jock, all the way out the door.

I will take Benson. Not because he is Corey Dillon, but because he is Cedric Benson.

He had a rough start to his career after being a 1st round pick but worked his but off and revived his career in Cincy.

He has put up 1,000 yard seasons there without a Guy named Brady to take the heat off of him.

Go ahead and put Benny in Cincy the last 3 years and see what he would get.

Im glad you guys like the players we have, but dont be dumb, if you have a chance to upgrade , you do it. Is he ten times better, maybe not, but def. a more proven, capable back.

Why hasnt Benny been signed yet, if the Pats love him as much as everyone here????

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Oh boy Jay. So you would rather have a guy play for us next year who in his last 3 years has averaged 3.8 ypc, fumbled 19 times and despite getting quality NFL work horse starting reps has barely broken the 1,000 yard mark? I will not compare the td disparity as Benson has played on poor offensive teams, but I would ask you this, what if BJGE averaged 300 carries per season the last 3 seasons for us?

What if Benny was given 100 more attempts in 2010,(which is what Benson got) would we be looking at a 1450 yard 18 td season? Probably.

Do you think he would suddenly fall apart? Or would it be fair to conclude that with more reps more production would come?

CEDRIC BENSONS STATS
    SEASONTEAMGPATTYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    Career9115295,7693.846312831911

LAW FIRM STATS
    SEASONTEAMGPATTYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    Career535102,0644.0332913200

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BENSON : I agree but at the same time if us signing a big FA RB would force us to use a running game more often then I would be all for it.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Benson is not a big FA RB.

We have 6 RB's on the team at the moment, adding another one isnt going to make us run the ball more. What will make us run the ball more are 40 point leads.

And to Jaytrollizzle Benson is not better then lawfirm. Not by a longshot.

11 fumbles lost! .2 YPC average less!

Lets not forget that Benson is in Last strike territory with goodell:
    Arrested at least 3 times so far in his career, Was suspended last year.

Arrests in 2008

Before the start of the 2008 season, Benson was arrested for allegedly operating a boat while intoxicated and resisting arrest.[23] On May 3, 2008, the incident occurred near Austin, Texas by the Lower Colorado River Authority during a late night safety inspection.[23] The official police report cited that Benson had failed a field sobriety test, and became hostile towards the police.[23] The officers arrested Benson, and proceeded to use pepper-spray after he forcefully resisted arrest.[24] Benson was later detained for the night, and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest.[24]

Benson has since refuted the charges against him, and stated he requested to take a follow-up field sobriety test on land after failing the initial one.[24] Benson has further accused the officers of abusing him, stating, “I’m not handcuffed. I’m not under arrest. I’m not threatening him. I’m not pushing him. I’m not touching him. And he sprays me right in the eye.”[24] He also asserts that officers continuously struck his ankles and feet to prevent him from walking properly.[25] A female passenger on Benson's boat also claims to have witnessed the abuse and called her father out of fear for Benson's safety. Her fiance, also on the boat, may have dozens of pictures confirming Benson's account.[26]

Upon hearing about the incident, Bears' head coach Lovie Smith stated, “I haven’t had a chance to speak with Cedric yet, but anytime we’re talking about one of our players getting arrested, you’re disappointed in it,” and added “What we’re going to do from here, I’ll go back and try to get as much information as I possibly can and go from there.”[27] Benson was later found innocent by an Austin grand jury.

Benson was arrested for driving while intoxicated in Austin on June 7, 2008. While returning from a restaurant with his girlfriend, police claim that Benson drove through a red light, and failed a field sobriety test.[28] Police claim he later refused to take a breath or blood test to determine his blood alcohol level.[28] Police proceeded to detain Benson, and later released him on bond. Benson has denied the police officers' allegations, and insisted that he 'aced' the field test.[29] Bearsgeneral manager Jerry Angelo commented, “It’s unfortunate. Disappointment is too much an often used word when we’re talking about Cedric. The No. 1 lesson for every player is protect your job. We’re all held accountable for our actions. I’m not going to say any more than that until we know for sure what the facts are.”[30] On the following Monday, Benson was waived from the Bears. Angelo commented on the release, stating ”Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate... As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions."[31]

Benson was later ordered by a county judge to put a built-in ignition interlock breathalyzer in his car. He was also told to start drug counseling classes.[32] Benson was cleared of all charges in September, after appearing before two grand juries in Travis County.[33]

[edit]2010 arrest

On June 29, 2010, Benson was arrested for assault with injury after reportedly punching a bartender in the face.[34] Benson himself denied committing the crime. Almost a month after the ordeal, the NFL announced that Benson would not be suspended.[35]

[edit]2011 arrest

On July 17, 2011, Benson was arrested in Austin, Texas for a misdemeanor charge of assault causing bodily injury to a family member.[36] He was sentenced to 20 days in jail and ordered to pay a $4,000 fine.[37] Benson was released from jail on September 3, after only five days of his sentence.[38] He received a one game suspension, enacted in week 8.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

No, if anything, save the money. Ridley is better then Benson people, our offense just needs to give him the ball...

Benson can't even get to a 4 YPC average, fumbles like a pro and is old. NO THANK YOU!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Benson would be great in the locker room. I say sign him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Lets see, over the past two seasons, 12 fumbles, multiple arrests, 3.7 ypc and 30 years old..  No

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Listen I dont care about his rap sheet, same I didnt care about Dillons.

I think the mistake you guys make is that you assume anyone here will get 300 carries.

Its not gonna happen. I didnt know his fumble count was that high.

Besides that, what did I say? I think He is a better RB than Benny

What facts do you have to prove Benny is better?  All I am saying I think it would be an upgrade.

I consider all things. Like Benny plays a role here and is never really in a position to have a bad game. Meaning his QB is Brady, and NO team goes in worried about Benny so he has a chance to sneak in some nice runs , but when the defense KNOWS he is running, how has he faired??  Thank You

Benson was in an offense without a QB and not many weapons so his 3.8 was much more impressive to me with 8 in the box.

Benny may be a workhorse, but he hasnt shown it and the coaches dont trust him all that much to be able to do it. So thats why I said Benny wont be effective as he was here anywhere  else.

The guy cant even stay in the game like Rusty always points out. He has to get subbed because he isnt a pass catcher.

Like I said, its my opinion, but I'd like to hear from non pats fan about this.

I think you guys need to stop being biased and consider everything involved.

Brady makes any RB's job easier. When Benny got a 1,000, it was the quitest 1,000 yards I ever seen. They run when the defense isnt expecting it and he takes advantage, but is not a feature back and his lack of contract should tell you guys that.

Peace..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

For the record, I am not in love w/benson, but for cheap i would bring him in, and NO he wouldnt be my 1st choice, I just spoke on the thread that was made by someone else.

The fact is, he has done more in his career then Benny.

All things I have heard is he is a good kid who the locker room loves. Sure he had some issues, so I guess its a no to M.Lynch, Blount and others who have slid due to off-field issues?