Bequette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Bequette

I felt this was an interesting pick.  One interesting stat from him outside of his 10 sacks for Arkansas, was the 10 tackles for loss. 

Anyone have any assessment on his coverage ability an upside in a a 3-4 in the NFL?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Bequette

Bequette showed very well at the Senior Bowl and at the combine.  Very fluid in LB drills, he dropped back (limited) in college.  

He will need to learn coverage assignments ect but he looked good everytime I saw him in drills and a few times in real games.  I think he's a year away from turning into a 3 down player but has the tools.  Guy's motor also never stops.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Yeah, I remember seeing his name for Arkansas (I usually watch Bama, LSU and Auburn and Georgia SEC games), but I am not very familiar with his overall game. His bio does read like a real hardworking type which is great. Sounds very, very coachable with some potential for 3-4 upside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Bequette:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I remember seeing his name for Arkansas (I usually watch Bama, LSU and Auburn and Georgia SEC games), but I am not very familiar with his overall game. His bio does read like a real hardworking type which is great. Sounds very, very coachable with some potential for 3-4 upside.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

I think this is a strong side OLB in the making, that's how much I like him.  Has the size, movement skills and power to set the edge.  As a DE he will abuse the OT, won't stop coming hard at him.  I really like Bequette, have since the Senior Bowl when I saw him in some drills.  Watched some film after that and was sold on the kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

He looks sort of skinny to me, but with room to grow.  He reminds me of Aaron Kampman a bit, but let's hope he's more durable and can be groomed to play some 3-4 OLB as well.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUNLNACnyg Mike Lombardi talked about how he and BB would look at shuttle times for pass rushers when evaluating the draft. He then said that Bequette's times were just a shade below Janoris Jenkins and top rated corners in this draft. This guy is a 4 year player/starter with a greta build at 275 and 6'5. He has a never quit motor and was team captain. CBS sports described him BEFORE we drafted him as a"Mike Vrabel clone" who plays with his hand on the ground but also stands up well! I love this pick! Pass rush, Pass rush, and moe pass rush. What a draft for the best GM in NFL history!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Another thing, people seem to think that Vrable and Willie Mac were great at standing up and covering guys. They weren't great at it, they got it done because they were smart footbal players. Much better at coming after the qb and sealing the edge. They could drop back and put a hand up in coverage as we'll as anybody but they weren't covering RB's or anything. Hightower can cover guys as we'll as rush th QB, Bequette and Jones are here to get to the QB and stop the run! All 3 were great picks for BB's system!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/04/28/patriots_were_fans_of_arkansas_delb_jake_bequette/

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm surprised he wasnt' rated higher.  Didn't he lead the SEC in sacks?  Not that I know anything. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Him and Jones are going to make a heck of a one 2 punch as elephants. I envision this year that Bequette will start early and because of his motor and drive will wear out T's by the middle of the 3rd. Then Jones ups his snap count and with his long stride and fresh legs will just manhandle the worn out T's later in the game. At the end of the year Jones might have better numbers but if what I said comes true it will be because of the amount of work Bequette puts in to soften up the OL

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

All of the film on him shows a missile going around the corner.  He times the snap and out-quicks the tackle.  When this works he really draws a bead on the QB.  Ouch!  Also on film, he bull-rushes the tackle back 5 yards and then sheds him, so it's not as if he only has one move. 

I have no idea how he does in coverage, so I'll trust everyone else that he's good.

Bequette gets the back side.  Chandler Jones gets the front because he blocks anything.  Chandler could block shots in the NBA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Uh oh hold the phone. Forget everything.... I just read this guy was projected to go in the 5th round. Obviously this means we reached for him and he is a bust. As one prominent poster on this board said on Friday, "Picks like this is why BB will not win the elusive 4rth SB" LMAO Man I wish we had a GM who was smart enough to only draft guys that other men have rated high. That way we would win more SB's!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Another thing, people seem to think that Vrable and Willie Mac were great at standing up and covering guys. They weren't great at it, they got it done because they were smart footbal players. Much better at coming after the qb and sealing the edge. They could drop back and put a hand up in coverage as we'll as anybody but they weren't covering RB's or anything. Hightower can cover guys as we'll as rush th QB, Bequette and Jones are here to get to the QB and stop the run! All 3 were great picks for BB's system!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

The elephant linebacker position primarily rushes the passer, even if they don't get to him, the QB has to throw over a 6'5" guy... tough to do.

When the elephant drops back into coverage, usually on the short side of the field, the QB has to try and throw over a 6'5" guy... tough to do.

I liked his game prior to the draft because he weighs 275 pounds and is faster in four directions than players 100 pounds lighter than he.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

All I can say I proffered Bequette to Curry as a complete football player.  Even when you compare combine numbers they are almost the same.  College production vs quality of opponent, motor, skills, short olympics vs game tame (both show same player) and his durability even taking the 3 games he missed this season into consideration. I've been following him for a while now, watched him at the Cotton Bowl (defensive MVP).  He dominated everyone.

This is what I wrote on him back in Dec (we we've been talking draft since Thanksgiving).  BB said they considered Bequette at 62 before the trade down.

Jake Bequette DE 6'5" 271 Arkansas, this guy is a stud!  Great against the run and averages just under a sack a game.  3rd/4th although he will probably workout this offseason (combine ect) into the 2nd round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Uh oh hold the phone. Forget everything.... I just read this guy was projected to go in the 5th round. Obviously this means we reached for him and he is a bust. As one prominent poster on this board said on Friday, "Picks like this is why BB will not win the elusive 4rth SB" LMAO Man I wish we had a GM who was smart enough to only draft guys that other men have rated high. That way we would win more SB's!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

LOL

According to the Gang Green Jets board, the Jets have superior drafts, NE's drafts in recent years have been awful and ESPN kisses BB's butt. Didn't you know?

There is nothing elusive about being young in 2010 and 2011, making a SB in 2011 and seeing us lose a SB due to our QB not really plauing his best game, let alone a drop from a 100+ reception slot WR.

I am afraid these reactions are really FEAR by people who are very jealous of NE and the potential for NE to not only be in very deep SB contention in upcoming years, but having a clear shot at adding another ring.

Rebuilding and young defenses don't make it to SBs in this era. Ours did.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]All I can say I proffered Bequette to Curry as a complete football player.  Even when you compare combine numbers they are almost the same.  College production vs quality of opponent, motor, skills, short olympics vs game tame (both show same player) and his durability even taking the 3 games he missed this season into consideration. I've been following him for a while now, watched him at the Cotton Bowl (defensive MVP).  He dominated everyone. This is what I wrote on him back in Dec (we we've been talking draft since Thanksgiving).  BB said they considered Bequette at 62 before the trade down. Jake Bequette DE 6'5" 271 Arkansas, this guy is a stud!  Great against the run and averages just under a sack a game.  3rd/4th although he will probably workout this offseason (combine ect) into the 2nd round.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Nice call, dude. It's always cool when a player you like comes to the Pats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I like the fact that he has been described as a "high motor" type of player. That's always a good quality to look for in a draftee.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bequette : LOL According to the Gang Green Jets board, the Jets have superior drafts, NE's drafts in recent years have been awful and ESPN kisses BB's butt. Didn't you know? There is nothing elusive about being young in 2010 and 2011, making a SB in 2011 and seeing us lose a SB due to our QB not really plauing his best game, let alone a drop from a 100+ reception slot WR. I am afraid these reactions are really FEAR by people who are very jealous of NE and the potential for NE to not only be in very deep SB contention in upcoming years, but having a clear shot at adding another ring. Rebuilding and young defenses don't make it to SBs in this era. Ours did.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]
    They do, huh??  Do they talk about Gholston?  How's Sanchez been working out for them?  Their top two picks this year have pretty big bust potential too.

Do they mention we had 11 Pro Bowlers on our roster last year that we drafted?  Tom Brady, Deion Branch, Stephen Gostkowski, Rob Gronkowski, Dan Koppen, Matt Light, Logan Mankins, Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty, Matthew Slater and Vince Wilfork.  Should've been 12 because Hernandez deserved to go.  How many does Gang Green have?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Take it for what it's worth, but Corey Chavous (in both the Herald and interviews) said he liked the Bequette pick.  He said that he was more impressed with Bequette than first rounder McLellin (sp?) at the senior bowl as both were playing OLB.   He also thought T. Wilson was a player too.  

I tend to put stock in the opinions of ex-players (especially one who does player analysis for a living) moreso than virgins living in their parents' basements. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)  I find Chavous to be pretty objective and knowledgeable.  Not saying his opinion is the be all end all, but at least he knows what he's looking at and understands game context more than the lay person.   

25. This post has been removed.