Bequette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Bequette

There has been plenty of discussion about who and how the defense will improve next year; will Ras I be healthy in a make or break year, does Tavon Wilson make a big jump in year 2, re-signing Talib and/or several FA safeties, which DT/DE to draft at 29, there's even been the hope expressed that Fletcher can come back and be the cover LB sorely needed

Perhaps it's because we saw very little of Bequette during the season, but his name was all over MB's draft thread last year (Hunt appears to be this years equivalent) and most were quite pleased with the pick: Now he seems to have been written off, Anybody have any thoughts on this guy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Bequette

How can anybody know what to expect? He's an unknown. We have no idea what the brass thinks of him. Also, there are a number of DEs on the roster right now. It will be tough for him to make it, but presumably he'll have an opportunity.

Just off the top, there is Jones, Nink, Francis, Cunningham plus some free agent whose name I forget right now (from Cleveland maybe?) and Scott could also be back. Is he better than any of those guys? We'll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Is that guy from the cfl a de?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Armstead is a tackle I think?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Marcus Benard is the guy from Cleveland, looked it up. Had 7.5 sacks in 2010, then fell off the radar. Some sort of motorcycle mishap was involved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Actually in terms of size, Bequette is closer to chandler jones than margus hunt. Both are 6'5", 260-265... Hunt is in the 6'8" range and a bit more athletic than both. 

I was surprised with the rash of injuries and suspensions last year he couldn't crack the lineup. Even Francis who was a udfa started over him. 

He is a gifted athlete but not exceptional. I think the biggest thing going for him is he is relentless. Hopefully that translates well and he has a big year 2 jump as well. We need it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Actually in terms of size, Bequette is closer to chandler jones than margus hunt. Both are 6'5", 260-265... Hunt is in the 6'8" range and a bit more athletic than both. 

I was surprised with the rash of injuries and suspensions last year he couldn't crack the lineup. Even Francis who was a udfa started over him. 

He is a gifted athlete but not exceptional. I think the biggest thing going for him is he is relentless. Hopefully that translates well and he has a big year 2 jump as well. We need it.

Thanks PL--I was actually just comparing Bequette to Hunt interms of "popularity" on the draft thread as an intriguing 2nd or3rd round guy, although it sounds like Hunt is more of an upside guy whereas Bequette was seen as having not much of a ceiling, but as you said, relentless

Muz--I totally missed the Benard pick up, thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He'll be cut, he's a scrub...like that scrub Tavon Wilson.

2012 draft only brought us good talent in the first round.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

That is Jason Vega...he'll take JB's spot in the roster this year. JB will get the axe in TC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

Perhaps it's because we saw very little of Bequette during the season, but his name was all over MB's draft thread last year (Hunt appears to be this years equivalent) and most were quite pleased with the pick: Now he seems to have been written off, Anybody have any thoughts on this guy?

Call it trendy JAG syndrome.  Certain mediocre college players and free agents seem vulnerable to catching the disease during the offseason doldrums. The disease starts with a feverish flurry of postings proclaiming the guy as an undervalued sleeper who's gonna take the team by storm next year. It's then followed by a few puzzlingly unconvincing appearances in preseason where the predicted talent doesn't really show on the field.  As the disease progresses, the player remains confined to the inactive list or even slips down to the practice squad. The pattern continues over the next two years, but with the offseason fevers slowly dying down in intensity and being replaced with tepid wheezings of " bust."  Then, about three years in, the disease comes to a sudden and tragic end, when the player is unceremoniously cut and (if lucky) ends up as your local UPS delivery guy.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

He'll be cut, he's a scrub...like that scrub Tavon Wilson.

Is this supposed to be making fun of the typical knee-jerk comments on our drafts?  

I hope this was an attempt at irony.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If Bequette had anything to offer he would have been on the field after Jones had ankle injuries. Sure...give em another camp...however the ride moves fast and if you miss it, it's over for you pretty quickly.

Bequette is in my Dowling and Wilson pile.........

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he is a try hard guy with good size...who also doesn't seem to be able to keep an offensive lineman's hands from locking onto him and riding him clean out of the play. The guy did absolutely nothing last year and there were oppurtnuities for a guy like him to play due to injuries to others. Hopefully he will improve this off season and learn some pass rush moves or technique, because he does look like he has some decent size and motor. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Wow - tough crowd. The guy was a rookie 3rd round pick. You expect 1st rounders to show up big and maybe half of the 2nd round. By third round you are working with guys that need to grow into the NFL. Some of them will develop into great starters, some will be great depth guys, and some will get cut a few years in. We have one UFA who didn't show much of anything his first three years and then was a vital player in his final year of rookie contract and would be a really good resigning - Thomas. He graded out by PFF as slightly better than our PB guard Mankins playing on the last year of his rookie deal.

Give Bequette a chance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Wow - tough crowd. The guy was a rookie 3rd round pick. You expect 1st rounders to show up big and maybe half of the 2nd round. By third round you are working with guys that need to grow into the NFL. Some of them will develop into great starters, some will be great depth guys, and some will get cut a few years in. We have one UFA who didn't show much of anything his first three years and then was a vital player in his final year of rookie contract and would be a really good resigning - Thomas. He graded out by PFF as slightly better than our PB guard Mankins playing on the last year of his rookie deal.

Give Bequette a chance.

Agreed, Wilson also needs a chance.

Make or break for Dowling this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

It is dissappointing when a rookie has opportunities and does not impress the staff enough to even get on the field. Still, he was a rookie and some guys need time - especially on D and at WR on THIS team.

Wilson on the other hand showed some promise and did get on the field. I feel more confident in Wilson than Bequette but not brimming.

Curious about the CFL acq. Wondering about Dennard and Talib.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Bequette is neither the team's savior nor a proven dud.  He's a third rounder.  I didn't read up that much on him last year.

The NFL Combine site says that his strength is stopping the run.  He's not a pass rusher at all.  Pass rushers can start instantly in the NFL, but as a run stopper Bequette needs at least a year of apprenticeship before he gets any good at his job.  That's why he rode the pine all last year. 

Ron Brace was pretty bad when he broke into the NFL, but after everybody abandoned his bandwagon  he gradually got better when healthy.  Of course, Brace got injured more than a bit but that's hard to predict.

Let's see if he's better in August.

P.S. I wish Bequette's arms were longer.  At least he's intelligent and hard working.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

YOU'VE GOT OT BE KIDDING ME?  HOW ABOUT THE 7TH ROUND???  I'd argue that Dennard was the biggest impact player from the 2012 Draft .... and will challenge the 2 1st round dudes for the best pick of 2012 long term ...

Hoghtower did not impress me at all. But I expect to be impressed with him in 2013 ... just figured a Nick Saban guy would be more ready for the Big Show.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

Call it trendy JAG syndrome.  Certain mediocre college players and free agents seem vulnerable to catching the disease during the offseason doldrums. The disease starts with a feverish flurry of postings proclaiming the guy as an undervalued sleeper who's gonna take the team by storm next year. It's then followed by a few puzzlingly unconvincing appearances in preseason where the predicted talent doesn't really show on the field.  As the disease progresses, the player remains confined to the inactive list or even slips down to the practice squad. The pattern continues over the next two years, but with the offseason fevers slowly dying down in intensity and being replaced with tepid wheezings of " bust."  Then, about three years in, the disease comes to a sudden and tragic end, when the player is unceremoniously cut and (if lucky) ends up as your local UPS delivery guy.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that Pro!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:

YOU'VE GOT OT BE KIDDING ME?  HOW ABOUT THE 7TH ROUND???  I'd argue that Dennard was the biggest impact player from the 2012 Draft .... and will challenge the 2 1st round dudes for the best pick of 2012 long term ...

Hoghtower did not impress me at all. But I expect to be impressed with him in 2013 ... just figured a Nick Saban guy would be more ready for the Big Show.

I think people don't consider Dennard a typical 7th rd prospect when he was rated between 20-50 all year long until deciding to punch the cop right before the draft.

If he didn't do that he wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd rd. Considering Wilson was expected to go in rd's 4-6, I'd say having him and Dennard basically made the talent come up more than equal between a 2nd and a 7th.

Bigger issue than Wilson (who we cpuld have taken later) was trading down for no real value at all with Green Bay and passing on some DT's like Reyes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

I think people don't consider Dennard a typical 7th rd prospect when he was rated between 20-50 all year long until deciding to punch the cop right before the draft.

If he didn't do that he wouldn't have made it out of the 2nd rd. Considering Wilson was expected to go in rd's 4-6, I'd say having him and Dennard basically made the talent come up more than equal between a 2nd and a 7th.

Bigger issue than Wilson (who we cpuld have taken later) was trading down for no real value at all with Green Bay and passing on some DT's like Reyes.

It always amuses me when people claim to know how far a certain player would have slid in a draft.  For all we know, Wilson could have gotten taken the next pick had we not have taken him.  I'm pretty sure that the teams who are actually doing the drafting are more in tune with the players' value that you, me, or Mel Kiper.  We'll never know how far Wilson would have fallen, but probably not as far as you think.  I doubt that BB took a 6th round player in the second round just for the fun of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

he's a similar player to nink, but it seems nink is progressing enough to keep bequette on the sidelines

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to rameakap's comment:

It always amuses me when people claim to know how far a certain player would have slid in a draft.  For all we know, Wilson could have gotten taken the next pick had we not have taken him.  I'm pretty sure that the teams who are actually doing the drafting are more in tune with the players' value that you, me, or Mel Kiper.  We'll never know how far Wilson would have fallen, but probably not as far as you think.  I doubt that BB took a 6th round player in the second round just for the fun of it.

Well, I'm a Humanatarian so it's against my principles to beat a dead horse but I'll make an exception here.

As I have stated here many times I am not a kool aid drinker, never have, never will be.

I eat, sleep, and drink the game of football and have done so for well over 40 years.

If I see good, I say so. If I see bad, I say so. If I'm wrong, I say so. I call em as I see em' either way.

Players that "got" it show it out of the box. Even raw players who make a lot of mistakes display that certain something that ensures cream rises to the top.

The longer it takes for the cream to rise to the top the less likely it is you will have cream for your coffee.

Sure, every once in awhile a late bloomer shows up. I hope some of the above mentioned eventually show up.

I'm over Dowling, I have no reason to believe he's ever gonna work out.

Bequette, I hope he works out, I really do but we needed him and he could not get on the field...why?

And he's the dead horse.......

Wilson.....The Pats should draft who ever they damn well feel like drafting. You win some...you lose some....just the way it is.

Wilson was a 6th 0r 7th rd talent that BB, as his right, fell in love with. I hope Wilson doesn't leave BB at the alter.

No one was takeing Wilson in the 2nd, no one. And if your up please look out your window and see the sun rising in the East.

Wilson....could not keep a horrible Gregory on the bench, sorry, it is what it is.

Wilson...KILLED US against Seattle...KILLED US.....

Does the Wilson cream rise to the top, I certainly hope so. I don't like how he has looked so far.

My apologies to the dead horse.