Best acquisition by BB (Talib) turns out Nightmare

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Best acquisition by BB (Talib) turns out Nightmare

Remember all the talk about "fleecing" Tampa...?

Talib and Blount were good acquisitions except...  what if you give up the draft pick and can't sign the player?

Not so good.   And what if the player signs with your rival?   Nightmare.

so now you have nothing for what you spent.    OOooopps...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Best acquisition by BB (Talib) turns out Nightmare

it would have cost too much to keep him..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Basically, if a guy is good and his contract is up , we can count on losing him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Welker, Cory Dillion, Vrabel and Harrison were the best BB acquisitions. 

What exactly did Talib do here?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Talib transformed the D from absolutely pitiful, to decent. But like Gronk he just never was around when you needed him the most. BB made a good move getting him for cheap, and made another good move not signing him for 10 mil.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talib transformed the D from absolutely pitiful, to decent. But like Gronk he just never was around when you needed him the most. BB made a good move getting him for cheap, and made another good move not signing him for 10 mil.

[/QUOTE]

Well, if I may say, Talib was great early in the season and shakey late in the season.

Come to think of it our D was great early in the season and shakey late (injuries)

Our pass rush was good early in the season and shakey late (injuries)

Would anyone care to connect the dots?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

it would have cost too much to keep him..

[/QUOTE]

Really?  And the Broncos have more money to spend than the Pats?  The Pats are just holding out like they always appear to do and, literally, get the dregs of the FA market other teams do not want.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if I may say, Talib was great early in the season and shakey late in the season.

Come to think of it our D was great early in the season and shakey late (injuries)

[/QUOTE]

Talib wasn't quite up to snuff after coming back from the injury last year. But overall he was still head and shoulders above anything else we had in the secondary over his time here. And he did come cheap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib wasn't quite up to snuff after coming back from the injury last year. But overall he was still head and shoulders above anything else we had in the secondary over his time here. And he did come cheap.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that is true. But if the Pats fail to fix the D line and the pass rush and also fail to fix one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the league but having a very soft 10-15 yd belly......all the Talibs and Revis's ain't getting them a SB ring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

Welker, Cory Dillion, Vrabel and Harrison were the best BB acquisitions. 

What exactly did Talib do here?

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what felger and mazz and wiggy said yesterday.  Rodney was the best according to them.  It seems if you want the big pay day from Bill, you better not drop a pass in a big game or get knocked out of the game by Wess Welker.  Especially on how Bill feels about welker, talib would have had a better shot at the big pay day if he knocked welker out of the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Actually this is another reason to have franchised Talib...

It would have assured that this deal to acquire him would at least  have produced another year of results from a top player, as opposed to a failed attempt to secure him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Actually this is another reason to have franchised Talib...

It would have assured that this deal to acquire him would at least  have produced another year of results from a top player, as opposed to a failed attempt to secure him.

[/QUOTE]

It really surprised me they didn't use the franchise though in reality its not Talib's play that they let him go its his lack of playing time.

It'd be a miracle if he doesn't miss a big part of the season next year.  That's difficult to piece together with the contract he signed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

5th - 7th round draft picks may become something valuable but we have had a large number of selections in recent years, no harm to our roster using some in trades for short term vetrans like Talib. 

I think it is being a bit dramatic to call losing Talib a nightmare. If we instead sign Revis then I will call it a shrewd deal and a calculated upgrade. 

If we lose out on both then it is not a good prospect for our CB position next year but still not a nightmare, Talib is good but from what i have seen injury wise a huge risk at those numbers, I wouldn't sign him. Maybe in this case we shift our spending elswhere and go CB early in the draft ( not the best history there but in recent years not as bad with Dennard and Ryan, maybe we have turned a corner )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I am disappointed by the loss of Talib but I get that BB did not feel he was worth 10M a year. At the same time I admire the Broncos for taking the risk and going for broke with him, Ward and Ware but the results of their decisions are speculative.  Suffering these losses of personnel are all part of being a Pats fan. It was hard last year losing 2 of our mighty-mites, Welker and Woodhead.

How will I it work out without him? No way to know what Talib will contribute from here on out (injuries etc.) but BB has a history of coaching new guys up and I am sure that will be no different this year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB got over 1 year of good work by an experienced #1 corner for a fourth rounder plus a low price.  Sometimes that's all you can hope for.  Does Tampa Bay have another one of those for sale cheap?

Let's also remember that Talib was a career goofup before he left Tampa.  Maybe BB rolled the dice and got lucky for two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Asher77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5th - 7th round draft picks may become something valuable but we have had a large number of selections in recent years, no harm to our roster using some in trades for short term vetrans like Talib. 

I think it is being a bit dramatic to call losing Talib a nightmare. If we instead sign Revis then I will call it a shrewd deal and a calculated upgrade. 

If we lose out on both then it is not a good prospect for our CB position next year but still not a nightmare, Talib is good but from what i have seen injury wise a huge risk at those numbers, I wouldn't sign him. Maybe in this case we shift our spending elswhere and go CB early in the draft ( not the best history there but in recent years not as bad with Dennard and Ryan, maybe we have turned a corner )

[/QUOTE]

I think the nightmare is that Talib went to the broncos who turned patriots aszes into hats in the AFCCG.  It changes the landscape of the AFC .  You can't minimize that fact.   If he went somewhere else it would be just " too bad it didnt work out " kind of thing. 

Agree that getting Revis would make the bitterness go away but he hasn't walked through those doors yet and somehow I suspect this isn't  going to happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember all the talk about "fleecing" Tampa...?

Talib and Blount were good acquisitions except...  what if you give up the draft pick and can't sign the player?

Not so good.   And what if the player signs with your rival?   Nightmare.

so now you have nothing for what you spent.    OOooopps...

[/QUOTE]

Wake up...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Man...if tis were England in the early 1,000s AD and the real Vikings cam a callin', alot of these "chiken little" posters would be hiding in piles of hay and cowering...

Relax....all that's happend so far is that some large people got lots of money...nobody's played a down yet...we don't know if some of these relative old timers can still play or are permanentrly hurt...

Remember the saying "It's why they play the games!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I always kind of thought that Tom Brady was Belichicks best pick up, followed by Seymour, Wilfork, Light, Rodney, Moss, Dillion, Welker, Mankins, Gronk, Mayo, McCourty and then Talib...maybe...but probably not even.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought this defense was a top 3 defense when healthy, and when they were game planning their D around Talib.

My question, if BB is so smart and understands the market better than anyone, why wasnt he ahead of the market, signing Talib to a 4/$30 contract before Grimes signed his deal. Wouldnt Talib have taken that deal last week? Seems allowing Talib to get into free agency was the mistake, compounded by misreading what other teams would offer.

I saw 3 CB's that fit this defense available and rank them Revis, Talib and Cro. But does anyone think Revis is takig less than Talib?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought this defense was a top 3 defense when healthy, and when they were game planning their D around Talib.

My question, if BB is so smart and understands the market better than anyone, why wasnt he ahead of the market, signing Talib to a 4/$30 contract before Grimes signed his deal. Wouldnt Talib have taken that deal last week? Seems allowing Talib to get into free agency was the mistake, compounded by misreading what other teams would offer.

I saw 3 CB's that fit this defense available and rank them Revis, Talib and Cro. But does anyone think Revis is takig less than Talib?

[/QUOTE]

Not signing Talib, a part time player, to a 4/$30 contract was not a mistake. Not Franchising Talib was not a mistake. BB was smart, knew the Broncs would way overspend for Talib and let him walk.

Revis shouldn't take less than Talib, he is a full time player. Pats might actually pay for Revis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not signing Talib, a part time player, to a 4/$30 contract was not a mistake. Not Franchising Talib was not a mistake. BB was smart, knew the Broncs would way overspend for Talib and let him walk.

Revis shouldn't take less than Talib, he is a full time player. Pats might actually pay for Revis.

[/QUOTE]

paying REvis 4/$50 is better than paying Talib 4/$30?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

paying REvis 4/$50 is better than paying Talib 4/$30?

[/QUOTE]

I thought tagging Talib for 1/$12m  was the best option...  turns out that was right.  If you look at the 2 years together...   5m and 12m  , that's 2 years for 17m  .  pretty good for Talib.    Thinking was off if they thought he was going to sign.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I do not think BB wanted Talib that much. Disappeared in both playoff games. The last one was probably the worse - especially now that he's saying it was not a hip injury but more a quad.

He also showed he can be selfish during a game, at the expense of the team - i.e., his shenanigans with smith during the carolina game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Broncos are paying $57 million, $26 million guaranteed, to find out if the guy is often injured and often selfish. 

Sections
Shortcuts