Best D-Line of all time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Best D-Line of all time?

If this Hanesworth experiment works out, could this be the best D-Line ever assembled?  How can any team contain the likes of-

LE                      DT                        DT                    RE
    Warren               Wilfork                 Hanesworth          Warren

Or any combination of the four at any DL position.  Who would you double up on if you were faced with this 4 headed beast?  Opposing teams would be almost forced to run a 2 TE formation at all times.  I can't see any other option, do you? 

This is about to get real fun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Best D-Line of all time?

Taking one of our LB's out of the mix to switch to a 43 makes the D weaker.

Haynesworth and Wilfork demand dbl teams and even T Warren can command dbl teams. Having 3 players at the line instead 4 opens the LB's up to exotic rush and coverage packages. That creates more sacks and turn overs then using 4 players on the line and taking away one of the LB's. The exotic 34 packages and 43 looks cause confusion for OL's and chaos (remember what they use to do when we had Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, Vrable, Bruschi, Willie, Johnson). If you have the bodies a 34 will beat a 43 anyday.

Besides G Warren isn't currently on the team and we have no clue what Haynesworth will be. He also hasn't been officially traded yet (my guess is that it's contingent on him reworking his deal to more incentive based).

Lets wait and see what the opening day roster and base will look like before getting to excited

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Didn't we run a 4-3 about half the time anyways?  I'm not the smartest, but I think if we rush those 4 studs all at once, you could drop 7 into coverage or do whatever.  You might not need them.  I bet you could play with only 8 or 9 players on defense and you'd be just fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Maybe wait until the deal is official and Albert makes it thru camp in good shape before annoiting this the best of all time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Best D-Line of all time?:
    [QUOTE]Didn't we run a 4-3 about half the time anyways?  I'm not the smartest, but I think if we rush those 4 studs all at once, you could drop 7 into coverage or do whatever.  You might not need them.  I bet you could play with only 8 or 9 players on defense and you'd be just fine.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

No we didn't run a 43 more then half the time.

Sigh, we ran our base package less then half the time but that doesn't mean we ran a 43 package. We also had to run the nickel and dime packages (which is where the 43 was most used) much more often then we normally do because of the injuries to the DL and the fact that teams were passing more often then in previous years. With a healthier DL and a much improved pass rush you'll see a more balanced approach against the Pats D which will lead to less nickel/dime packages.

Having those players on the line rushing means that O's will adapt to more draws, 3 step drops, and screen plays. With those 4 rushing you know they won't be dropping back into coverage and leaves the potential for big holes. Our heavy OLB's aren't built to be cover 43 OLB's so that creates mismatches which could be taken advantage of (remember all those 1st downs given up because of those short cut plays by TE's and WR's).

Just because you have 4 big bodies doesn't mean that it can't be beat otherwise they would have done it long ago when they had Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, and Green/Wright

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Also if you think about it. Why are most 43 DE's smaller and quicker then their 34 DE counterparts? It's because rushing 4 huge guys puts the D at a disadvantage in other aspects and makes them susceptible. If it didn't you would see teams currently with large body 34's try to get 1 more large body and switch to that massive front as you suggested but you never see it except in random sub/exotic blitz packages because it works when the other team doesn't expect it but doesn't work when they can game plan around it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The line with Wilfork, Seymour and Warren (back in his prime) was better than what this dline is now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Ah, no, not the best D line of all-time, even if Ty wasn't just cut.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats aren't switching to a 43 and the 2007 Giants line was better than that. Like someone else pointed out, the '06 line was better than that too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Not even close; Try 60s  Fearsome Foursome (Rams), 60s Doomsday Defense (Cowboys), 70s Purple People Eaters (Vikings), 70's Steel Curtain (Steelers), 80s Monster of the Midway (Bears)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

The  '85  Bears  had  the  best  D-line  ever  and  the  best  defense  in  NFL  history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think PatsEng is right here . . . I see all sorts of problems going to a 4-3 with our current personnel.  The biggest issue is we don't have quick, agile DEs. In a typical 4-3, you really need DEs who can get upfield since the pass rush has to come from that position most of the time.  

I suspect BB is looking at incorporating more 4-3, one-gap techniques into the D, but I doubt he's making a full conversion from two-gap 3-4 to one-gap 4-3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

First, we don't currently have a player named Warren on the Patriots roster right now. Second, a Warren, Haynesworth, Wilfork, Warren D-line would have very little pass rush. Haynesworth is the only one who is known for getting behind the line of scrimmage and he has not shown any of that in the past two years. Third, all four of these guys are 330+lbs. So, in the 4th quarter when pass rush seems to be the most important they will all be gassed.

I still like the 34 base with Haynesworth assuming Seymours old role and my guess is Brace lining up on the other side of Vince. Then, in subs when we are in our 4 man front which is not a 43, but mostly a 4-2-5 Nickel or 4-1-6 Dime package I see at RDE Eric Moore/Rob Ninkovich, DT Mike Wright, NT Albert Haynesworth, and at LDE Jermaine Cunningham.

Sections
Shortcuts