Best Off-Season Moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Best Off-Season Moves

My issue with the Cutler deal is that the Bears traded alot to get him and Cutler, while better than Orton, simply does not have the weapons in Bearland that he had when he was with the Broncos. Denver got Moreno which was a good idea for two reasons; they needed a running game and they kept Moreno from falling to the arms of division rival San Diego (a future replacement for LT). I liked Ayers so much I entertained the notion of the Pats drafting him to play 3-4 OLB (where he's probably going to play for Nolan anyway). If Ayers wins Defensive Rookie of the Year and Moreno develops into a feature back the Broncos brass all look like geniuses; all this and they still have the Bears 2010 1st.

I'm with Prairie Mike on this one; I can't see the Bears winning their division or going on a serious playoff run, even with Cutler.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]That's what they've said about every offensive (and most defensive) linemen that the Pats have taken in the past 10 years. I agree though that Davis and Smith have a ton of talent. The worries though I had about them before the draft though still apply, but now they were two of the first three picks for the Phins. It's not as risky a draft as what the Jets did, but still, this is a draft that could quickly turn into nothing.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

The Pats have done OK with draft selections Light, Mankins, Kaczur, and Koppen. But using the 58th overall pick on Vollmer, and trading up in the 4th round for a guard who seemingly was on nobody's radar screen, was a bit of a head scratcher.

Another poster, I believe it was ZBellino, mentioned that the Dallas Cowboys had shown strong interest in Vollmer...and may have taken him with one of their 3rd round picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Ayers will be a great Sam LB in the 3-4 system on first and second down and then as a down end or even tackle on third down. The Broncos did a great job in bringing in talent for their LB corps and defensive backfield. The defensive line is the only concern. They added Darrell Reid who is more of a third down player and Ronald Fields who isn't much better than a backup NT. They did get Chris Baker as an undrafted free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if he started and was an every down player. Baker was dismissed from the Penn State team for fighting a couple of times. But he's a talented player and probably would have been a third round pick without the problems at Penn State. For the Broncos, though, he has experience at the end position and nose in a 3-4 system. He was a steal to go undrafted.

I agree on Ayers.

McDaniels likely wanted Ron Brace, hoping to get him with the 48th overall pick. But, the Pats intervened. He had a chance to get Brace when he traded his 2010 #1 pick for the 37th overall selection...but took CB Alphonso Smith instead. I wonder if he regrets that decision?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Hog:

It appears that you, Mike, and myself are all on the same page with regards to the Cutler trade. I don't see him turning the Bears into an instant contender, either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     The Pats have done OK with draft selections Light, Mankins, Kaczur, and Koppen. But using the 58th overall pick on Vollmer, and trading up in the 4th round for a guard who seemingly was on nobody's radar screen, was a bit of a head scratcher.      Another poster, I believe it was ZBellino, mentioned that the Dallas Cowboys had shown strong interest in Vollmer...and may have taken him with one of their 3rd round picks.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They took Brewster with their second third round pick. Vollmer at the beginning of the round to the Cowboys wouldn't have been a surprise. The decisiveness in getting Ohrnberger was a surprise. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     I agree on Ayers.     McDaniels likely wanted Ron Brace, hoping to get him with the 48th overall pick. But, the Pats intervened. He had a chance to get Brace when he traded his 2010 #1 pick for the 37th overall selection...but took CB Alphonso Smith instead. I wonder if he regrets that decision?

It'll depend on what Smith does for them. At 37, he's a good value selection. I wouldn't be surprised if he started for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]     I knew someone would bring this up. Do any of you really believe that the acquisition of Cutler makes the Bears an instant contender? They still have holes on the DL and OL. They still have needs at WR. It certainly didn't help that they gave up two #1 draft choices for him.       Sorry...but I don't see how trading for this overrated primadonna makes them significantly better.  

Tex, the Detriot Lions are paying Stafford more money than Brady or Manning, an unprove rookie QB.  The Lions are doing this because of the value for a top NFL QB.  Cutler is a young proven pro-bowl QB, and he isn't getting paid nearly as much as Stafford.  The Bears will have plenty of chances to add quality WR's and will certainly be a contender for years to come.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, the Detriot Lions are paying Stafford more money than Brady or Manning, an unprove rookie QB.  The Lions are doing this because of the value for a top NFL QB.  Cutler is a young proven pro-bowl QB, and he isn't getting paid nearly as much as Stafford.  The Bears will have plenty of chances to add quality WR's and will certainly be a contender for years to come.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I agree that Stafford (and soon, Sanchez) are grossly overpaid...and its' ridiculous. But, we're going to have to agree to disagree on Cutler leading the Bears to the promised land, my friend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

A key in the draft is how much you want a player and then how much you are willing to give up for him. The Pats and Cowboys wanted Vollmer around the end of the 2nd round/beginning of the third round. The Raiders and Bears wanted Mitchell in the middle of the 2nd round. Most people had both players later in the draft, but the buzz around those players were that they were rising up draft boards. By the only standards that I can use for these picks, they seem fine, filling need positions with players that other teams thought would be worth it in that area of the draft, and who the GMs liked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]A key in the draft is how much you want a player and then how much you are willing to give up for him. The Pats and Cowboys wanted Vollmer around the end of the 2nd round/beginning of the third round. The Raiders and Bears wanted Mitchell in the middle of the 2nd round. Most people had both players later in the draft, but the buzz around those players were that they were rising up draft boards. By the only standards that I can use for these picks, they seem fine, filling need positions with players that other teams thought would be worth it in that area of the draft, and who the GMs liked.

Lets' hope this guy can play. A second round draft choice is a terrible thing to waste.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

[QUOTE]     I knew someone would bring this up. Do any of you really believe that the acquisition of Cutler makes the Bears an instant contender? They still have holes on the DL and OL. They still have needs at WR. It certainly didn't help that they gave up two #1 draft choices for him.       Sorry...but I don't see how trading for this overrated primadonna makes them significantly better.  

The Bears gave up two 1sts for Cutler.  The Jets gave up a 1st, a 2nd and 2 starting players for Sanchez.  Plus they have to pay him about double what the Bears will have to pay for the Pro Bowler Cutler.  For all we know, Sanchez could be a complete bust.  It's hard to believe that Cutler won't be a productive QB for the Bears.

JC may be a punk and a crybaby, but he put up 4,500 yards last year.  That big.  And ,as we have seen throught the league (not just Brady but will most elite QBs), the QB makes the receivers - not the other way around.  I think CHI will find a free-agent WR, plug him in with what they have and Cutler will still put up big numbers for CHI. 

CHI still should have a solid defense and win a bunch of games in the NFC Norris Division.  I'm just not buying the Tavaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels, John David Bootie era in MIN.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I don't buy any part of the Bears team. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions won the division with an 8-8 or 7-9 record.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Bears gave up two 1sts for Cutler.  The Jets gave up a 1st, a 2nd and 2 starting players for Sanchez.  Plus they have to pay him about double what the Bears will have to pay for the Pro Bowler Cutler.  For all we know, Sanchez could be a complete bust.  It's hard to believe that Cutler won't be a productive QB for the Bears. JC may be a punk and a crybaby, but he put up 4,500 yards last year.  That big.  And ,as we have seen throught the league (not just Brady but will most elite QBs), the QB makes the receivers - not the other way around.  I think CHI will find a free-agent WR, plug him in with what they have and Cutler will still put up big numbers for CHI.  CHI still should have a solid defense and win a bunch of games in the NFC Norris Division.  I'm just not buying the Tavaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels, John David Bootie era in MIN.
    Posted by bobomul[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Cutler is going to be terrible. I am saying that he doesn't make the Bears significantly better, considering what they gave up to get him.

There is something to what you say about a great QB making otherwise average WRs better. But, Cutler is not in Brady's or Peyton Manning's class. Its' also been said that great receivers can make a QB...as many pundits are saying in the case of Matt Cassel.

Chicago's defense is getting old, and is overrated. While I too am not sold on Jackson and/or "The Sage" in Minnesota, they have better personnel everywhere than the Bears, with the exception of QB...and rumors persist that, for better or worse, Brett Favre is set to join them.

Green Bay had a good draft, and, with the additions of NT BJ Raji and OLB Clay Matthews, should be improved, defensively. I'm not sure if Cutler is that much better a QB than Aaron Rogers.

The Detroit Lions are...well...the Lions.

Had the Bears not made the Cutler deal, Kyle Orton would be their QB, they could have drafted dangerous WR Jeremy Maclin...and would still own their #1 pick in 2010. Furthermore, Cutler is going to be demanding a huge contract extension soon. He'll want Manning/Brady money, even though hes' not in their class.       

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Lions may be the Lions, but they have added a lot to their team this offseason. With Culpepper or Stafford, they still have a QB who is at least on par with Green Bay's or Chicago's and far better than Minnesota's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The Lions may be the Lions, but they have added a lot to their team this offseason. With Culpepper or Stafford, they still have a QB who is at least on par with Green Bay's or Chicago's and far better than Minnesota's.

Surely you jest. I would take Cutler or Rogers over Culpepper in a NY minute. As for Stafford, hes' a cost prohibitive, unknown commodity.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Apparently, the price paid for the Pats' acquision of Tampa Bay TE Alex Smith is the Pats' 5th round pick in 2010. Good trade for the Pats: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-692/Smith-deal-was-for-fifth-round-pick.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]     Surely you jest. I would take Cutler or Rogers over Culpepper in a NY minute. As for Stafford, hes' a cost prohibitive, unknown commodity.  

Cutler, Rogers, Culpepper, they all are mediocre. Some games they will do well and others they won't. I don't see any of those three as impact players in this division so it will come down to mistakes and the players around them making plays. I like Detroit's supporting class right now a lot more than Green Bay's or Chicago's. There are only two superstar offensive players in this division, Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Denver Broncos had the wildest off season of any team, largely due to their trade of pro-bowl QB Jay Cutler. The Broncos made more "noise" in the draft, by selecting RB Knowshon Moreno at #12, and DE/OLB Robert Ayers at #18, with one of the two first round picks acquired for Cutler. 

Controversy ensued when the Bronos traded their #1 draft choice in 2010 for CB Alphonso Smith...and two 3rd round picks to move-up and select a blocking TE named Richard Quinn. 

Heres' a good article analyzing (criticizing?) these moves: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12291744

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

We could just look at the Broncos offseason overall.

Team Vet Pickups:
    Kyle Orton, QB
    Chris Simms, QB
    Correll Buckhalter, RB
    Lamont Jordan, RB
    JJ Arrington, RB
    Jabar Gaffney, WR
    Brandon Gorin, OT
    Ronald Fields, DL
    Darrell Reid, DT
    Andra Davis, ILB
    Nick Greisen, ILB
    Andre Goodman, CB
    Brian Dawkins, S
    Renaldo Hill, S

Team Drafted:
    Knowshon Moreno, RB
    Robert Ayers, OLB
    Alphonso Smith, CB
    Darcel McBath, DB
    Richard Quinn, TE
    David Bruton, DB
    Seth Olsen, G
    Kenny McKinley, WR
    Tom Brandstater, QB
    Blake Schlueter, C

Team Unsigned:
    Darrell Hackney, QB
    Tatum Bell, RB
    Cory Boyed, RB
    Andrew Pinnock, FB
    Selvin Young, RB
    PJ Pope, RB
    Michael Pitman, RB
    Glenn Martinez, WR
    Darrell Jackson, WR
    Cliff Russell, WR
    Nate Jackson, TE
    John Engelberger, TE
    Ebenezer Ekuban, DE
    Dewayne Robertson, DL
    Josh Shaw, DT
    Jamie Winborn, LB
    Nate Webster, LB
    Dre Bly, CB
    Marquand Manuel, S
    Marlon McCree, S

Team Lost:
    Jay Cutler, QB
    Patrick Ramsey, QB
    Anthony Alridge, RB
    Erik Pears, OT
    Tom Nalen, C
    Niko Koutouvides, ILB
    Karl Paymah, CB

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

And I guess, here are the changes for the Lions.

Team Vet Pickups:
    Maurice Morris, RB
    Terrelle Smith, FB
    Ronald Curry, WR
    Will Franklin, WR
    Bryant Johnson, WR
    Will Heller, TE
    Daniel Loper, OT
    Kirk Barton, OT
    Grady Jackson, DL
    Cody Spencer, LB
    Julian Peterson, LB
    Eric King, CB
    Phillip Buchanon, CB
    Anthony Henry, DB

Team Drafted:
    Matt Stafford, QB
    Brandon Pettigrew, TE
    Louis Delmas, FS
    Deandre Levy, LB
    Derrick Williams, WR
    Sammie Lee Hill, DT
    Aaron Brown, RB
    Lydon Murtha, OT
    Zack Follett, LB
    Dan Gronkowski, TE

Team Unsigned:
    Jon Kitna, QB
    Drew Henson, QB
    Rudi Johnson, RB
    Keary Colbert, WR
    Travis Taylor, WR
    Mike Furrey, WR
    Michael Gaines, TE
    Jon Dunn, OT
    Andy McCollum, C
    Edwin Mulitalo, G
    Cory Redding, DL
    Langston Moore, DT
    Corey Smith, DE
    Paris Lenon, LB
    Ryan Nece, LB
    Travis Fisher, CB
    Stanley, Wilson, DB
    Dwight Smith, S

Team Lost:
    Dan Orlovsky, QB
    Moran Norris, FB
    Shaun McDonald, WR
    Dan Campbell, TE
    John Owens, TE
    Shaun Cody, DT
    Leigh Bodden, DB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I like the unloading of Hobbs. It is one of those addition by subtraction deals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Patriots have announced the signing of former Chicago Bears'  safety, Brandon McGowan, to a 2 year deal. McGowan, age 25, was an undrafted free agent out of Maine, who made his NFL bones with the Bears as their starting safety...until a lingering ankle injury did him in last season. McGowan is known as a hard-hitter, in the Rodney Harrison mold: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4140982

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The somewhat pompous and arrogant Patriots hater, Mike Florio, has come up with a list of his top 10 best off-season moves. They are as follows:

1.) Bengals Sign Laveranues Coles: I'm going to give Florio the benefit of the doubt that his top 10 list is not in any particular order. If he thinks that this was the best off season move of all...LOL!! This was a nice addition for Cincy after losing WR TJ Housz. through free agency. But, Florio goes too far in his claims that Coles is actually better than TJ., and that Coles has had a better career. These WRs have diffferent strengths. Coles is more of a YAC/deep threat, while TJ is a good possession WR, who is very good in the redzone. 

2.) Cleveland Browns Keep Quinn: Agreed that the Browns made the right decision to keep Brady Quinn. Based on what I've seen of him, he has the potential to develop into a good NFL QB. Mangina should start him over the overrated, overpaid Derek Anderson.

3.) Tennessee Titans Let Albert Haynesworth Leave: Agreed. Haynesworth is a very good player. But, hes' hardly worth what Danny Synder paid to get him. As to franchising him, look at how the Carolina Panthers have been damaged by their decision to franchise DE Julius Peppers!   

4.) KC Chiefs Land Cassel: Cassel showed last season that he can play. But, Scott Pioli's inability to sign Matt to a reasonable contract has caused some to question the wisdom of this move (see the Jason Whitlock article I posted previous, in a different thread.     

5.) Dallas Cowboys Dump TO: Agreed. Now, if the Cowboys can only find a way to dump Jerry Jones as their GM.

6.) Buffalo Bills Sign TO: How can you cite dumping TO as a positive, and adding TO as a positive? At first, I thought the TO addition would add excitement to a staid franchise. But, after watching TO play last year, it appears that his game is starting to deteriorate. That being the case, is he worth taking on all the baggage that comes with him?

7.) Chicago Bears Trade for Jay Cutler: As I stated in my initial post in this thread, I thought the Denver Broncos made a great trade, in getting two #1 draft choices, a 3rd rounder, and QB Kyle Orton for this overrated primadonna. Cutler is a whiner, not a leader. I don't see him leading the Bears anywhere. Florio's argument that trading two #1s is OK because the Bears draft horribly makes no sense. If your team drafts poorly, you fire the head of your scouting department, and your GM...and improve!!   

8.) Atlanta Falcons Trade For Tony Gonzalez: Obviously, the Falcons want to win now. Though hindsight is always 20/20, I bet the NY Giants wish that they had pulled the trigger on a Gonzalez trade last year...as it might have somewhat softened the loss of Plaxico Burress. But, a second round draft choice seems to high a price to pay for a 33 year old TE.

9.) Kurt Warner Stays in Arizona: A wise move for both Warner, and the Cardinals. 

10.) NY Giants Cut Plaxico Burress: Plax forced the Giants' hand when he turned down a plea agreement to a short term jail sentence, which would have allowed him to return to play sometime in the 2009 season. If Plax goes to trial, he could receive up to 3.5 years in prison. From what I've read about the facts of his case, chances of him getting acquitted are slim and none. That said, the Giants are making a mistake in relying on two 2009 rookie WRs to rreplace Plax. They should have found a way to land a good veteran WR, like Braylon Edwards or Ochocinco. Don't forget, Amani Toomer is gone, too.

Heres' Florio's piece: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=553141

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

1.) Bengals Sign Laveranues Coles:
    Houshmanzadeh is a far superior receiver to Coles. In terms of talent as a receiver, Houshmanzadeh is better. Coles might be better as a complement to Johnson although I would rather have TJ and Coles and trade Johnson.

2.) Cleveland Browns Keep Quinn: 
    They didn't have a choice really with this one. They botched their QB situation last year by not trading Anderson when he had value. Quinn will be going into the season as the clear #1 like he should have last year. Right now, his value is at the lowest of his career, but he'll likely do well with the Browns this season and he'll be worth a lot more this time next season. Of course, the Browns didn't really have a choice when it came to Quinn.

3.) Tennessee Titans Let Albert Haynesworth Leave:
    There again was not much choice to this one, too. He signed with the Redskins for far too much. They probably made a mistake by not putting themselves in a position to extend him earlier or franchising. It should never have gotten to the point where Haynesworth was able to leave the team. The Titans are in major trouble going into next season without their one dominating player.

4.) KC Chiefs Land Cassel: 
    This was a great move for the Chiefs, a potential franchise QB for a second round pick. I'm not surprised that he hasn't signed an extension yet. It's only May, plenty of time, but it was never clear whether it was Pioli's intention to sign Cassel. Wouldn't it be better to see how he does in KC before he signs an extension? If he performs well, he gets the huge contract that he wants. If he doesn't do well, KC has saved itself from a long term bad contract.

5.) Dallas Cowboys Dump TO: 
    6.) Buffalo Bills Sign TO: 
    The Cowboys definitely needed to drop TO. He was killing their team unity. How long will he last in Buffalo? When will he start becoming a problem there? Can Edwards get him and Evans the ball enough to make them satisfied? If the Bills want to win now, this is probably a good addition. Since they won't, it's likely a mistake.

7.) Chicago Bears Trade for Jay Cutler: 
    The Bears have the same problem as before, nobody to throw the ball to. On the other hand, it says something when a teams fans are happy to give up first round picks because they don't trust their management to add effective players with the picks.

8.) Atlanta Falcons Trade For Tony Gonzalez:
    Gonzalez, nice short term option for the Falcons.

9.) Kurt Warner Stays in Arizona:
    A wise move for both Warner, and the Cardinals.

10.) NY Giants Cut Plaxico Burress:
    Who has better players to throw to now? Eli or Jay?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]1.) Bengals Sign Laveranues Coles: Houshmanzadeh is a far superior receiver to Coles. In terms of talent as a receiver, Houshmanzadeh is better. Coles might be better as a complement to Johnson although I would rather have TJ and Coles and trade Johnson.

2.) Cleveland Browns Keep Quinn:  They didn't have a choice really with this one. They botched their QB situation last year by not trading Anderson when he had value. Quinn will be going into the season as the clear #1 like he should have last year. Right now, his value is at the lowest of his career, but he'll likely do well with the Browns this season and he'll be worth a lot more this time next season. Of course, the Browns didn't really have a choice when it came to Quinn. 3.) Tennessee Titans Let Albert Haynesworth Leave: There again was not much choice to this one, too. He signed with the Redskins for far too much. They probably made a mistake by not putting themselves in a position to extend him earlier or franchising. It should never have gotten to the point where Haynesworth was able to leave the team. The Titans are in major trouble going into next season without their one dominating player. 4.) KC Chiefs Land Cassel:  This was a great move for the Chiefs, a potential franchise QB for a second round pick. I'm not surprised that he hasn't signed an extension yet. It's only May, plenty of time, but it was never clear whether it was Pioli's intention to sign Cassel. Wouldn't it be better to see how he does in KC before he signs an extension? If he performs well, he gets the huge contract that he wants. If he doesn't do well, KC has saved itself from a long term bad contract. 5.) Dallas Cowboys Dump TO:  6.) Buffalo Bills Sign TO:  The Cowboys definitely needed to drop TO. He was killing their team unity. How long will he last in Buffalo? When will he start becoming a problem there? Can Edwards get him and Evans the ball enough to make them satisfied? If the Bills want to win now, this is probably a good addition. Since they won't, it's likely a mistake. 7.) Chicago Bears Trade for Jay Cutler:  The Bears have the same problem as before, nobody to throw the ball to. On the other hand, it says something when a teams fans are happy to give up first round picks because they don't trust their management to add effective players with the picks. 8.) Atlanta Falcons Trade For Tony Gonzalez: Gonzalez, nice short term option for the Falcons. 9.) Kurt Warner Stays in Arizona: A wise move for both Warner, and the Cardinals. 10.) NY Giants Cut Plaxico Burress: Who has better players to throw to now? Eli or Jay?