Best overtime solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Best overtime solution

Check it out:  Flipping the coin to start the game gives one undeserving team an advantage over the other, just because of luck, no skill.  That toss can determine some games.

Likewise, the toss is an even greater and undeserved advantage in a 15-min. overtime.

If you chage OT to give each team a chance to score, the games lasts too long.  Injuries are risked.

If you end OT on the condition that the toss winnner scores a TD instead of a FG, the toss still creates an unfair advantage.

My proposal is that the team that lost the toss to start the game then assumes the position of a toss winner in OT.  They get to choose to kick or receive. 

This would completely change the way games end.  It would keep the game shorter, which is safer for the players.  It would counter-balance the undeserved advantage of the original coin toss to start the game.  You would see strategies change.  Seems pretty simple, it solves all problems and it creates an even shorter game for the players.

Oh yeah, and some blumbling ref is saved the embarrassment of screwing up the toss...at least the second toss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Re: Best overtime solution

In Response to Best overtime solution:
    [QUOTE]Check it out:  Flipping the coin to start the game gives one undeserving team an advantage over the other, just because of luck, no skill.  That toss can determine some games. Likewise, the toss is an even greater and undeserved advantage in a 15-min. overtime. If you chage OT to give each team a chance to score, the games lasts too long.  Injuries are risked. If you end OT on the condition that the toss winnner scores a TD instead of a FG, the toss still creates an unfair advantage. My proposal is that the team that lost the toss to start the game then assumes the position of a toss winner in OT.  They get to choose to kick or receive.  This would completely change the way games end.  It would keep the game shorter, which is safer for the players.  It would counter-balance the undeserved advantage of the original coin toss to start the game.  You would see strategies change.  Seems pretty simple, it solves all problems and it creates an even shorter game for the players. Oh yeah, and some blumbling ref is saved the embarrassment of screwing up the toss...at least the second toss.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I HATE NFL OVERTIME AS IS!

I like the college plan for overtime,  too bad about injury risks in overtime, how is that any different than during the game.  Dont want to risk injury in ovt? then win the game, and avoid ovt.
    Both teams gets a chance to have the ball and score. no clock except the play clock, take turns until someone stops the other team. Cant get any easier than that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

The college OT rules are horrible!!! Scores and stats get way overblown. It's definitely not perfect. I wouldn't be opposed to playing either a 15 minute period or a 10 minute period and if it ends in a tie, that's that. There would be more ties though...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

10 minute overtime quarter.

Long enough so that both teams will see the ball, barring a prolific, time-consuming drive by the team that wins the toss (and if a team can put together a 10-minute drive, they deserve it)

Short enough to not be too taxing.

Game still ends in a tie if tied at the end.  It would give teams more incentive to score touchdowns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Since many teams who win the initial toss defer, it means that it has almost no meaning, so to reverse it in over-time does not make anything more fair.

I still think the best solution is the toss winner getting the ball on their own 20 and/or requiring a 6 point victory. 

Or even better maybe---go back to the tie game.  I can hear the boos, but there's not really satisfactory solution.

Hey just thot of a new solution---- the toss winner gets the ball on the 20 and can win outright with a TD.  If they don't the game reverts to just the way it is now.  In other words the opponent could take possession, kick a field goal and win.   Hurrah, this IS the Answer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

That decides it. 10 minute period it is! Wasn't that easy. We just improved the OT rules in the NFL in a matter of minutes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Keep it the same with one exception. Both teams get the ball for at least one posession. So if one goes down and scores, then they kick off as they normally would to the other team. If they stop that team, game over.

If it's still tied after both teams get a posession, then keep going until somone scores.

One team not getting a chance due to a coin toss is a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Check it out:  Flipping the coin to start the game gives one undeserving team an advantage over the other, just because of luck, no skill.  That toss can determine some games. Likewise, the toss is an even greater and undeserved advantage in a 15-min. overtime. If you chage OT to give each team a chance to score, the games lasts too long.  Injuries are risked. If you end OT on the condition that the toss winnner scores a TD instead of a FG, the toss still creates an unfair advantage. My proposal is that the team that lost the toss to start the game then assumes the position of a toss winner in OT.  They get to choose to kick or receive.  This would completely change the way games end.  It would keep the game shorter, which is safer for the players.  It would counter-balance the undeserved advantage of the original coin toss to start the game.  You would see strategies change.  Seems pretty simple, it solves all problems and it creates an even shorter game for the players. Oh yeah, and some blumbling ref is saved the embarrassment of screwing up the toss...at least the second toss.

NONSENSE!! The best OT solution is for teams not to get involved in an overtime game. If a team can't win in regulation, then sudden death is just fine. Too many injuries as it is in the NFL, without risking more with a silly college-like solution.

All this whining about it not being fair that one team gets the ball and the other doesn't is silly. If one team were that much better than the other, the OT would have been unnecessary.

The Patriots should have beaten the Broncos by at least 10 points on Sunday. But, they played lousy and got beat. End of story.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

If I had to change the OT rules, I would make a rule that it takes 6 points to win in OT.  Whether its a TD, 2 FG's or 3 Safetys, I don't care.  Make a team have to score 6 pts to win.  If a team goes down field after the coin toss and scores a TD, game over, but a fg would continue the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

I agree with the 10 minute overtime. The way it is now puts too much pressure on the defense 2 ways. You have to play soft to make sure that you don`t get beat on a big play, but then you give up too many mid level plays that lets the offense just move down the field.At least with the 10 minute OT you have a chance to redeem yourself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

This is the NFL not kindergarden. You want a chance to win stop the other team plain and simple

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rickster6662000. Show Rickster6662000's posts

I think that has the lead before the score is tied should get the ball to start with. This may compel teams that are kicking the extra point to tie the game to go for 2 and the win. They can maintain the current system with this small adjustment

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuckrules. Show tuckrules's posts

Funny how this works...

We're all fine with the OT rules until we lose in OT.  I have yet to here anyone complain about the OT rules when we win in OT.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from purushacat. Show purushacat's posts

How about no overtime. A whole point for a win and a half point for a tie.  That solves all differences...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tampabostonfan. Show tampabostonfan's posts

This isn't very tough and was mentioned earlier in this post and has been mentioned already.  Flip the coin, team winning can receive or kick off, just like to start the game.  First team gets the ball and either get's a FG, TD, or doesn't score.  They then kick off (or punt, or play D due to a turnover) and the other team now has the chance to match the first team (if a TD was scored) or beat them.  If, after each team has one possession the score is still tied, then it goes to sudden death and first team to score wins.  It wouldn't last any longer than currently possible and each team gets a shot.  Also, receiving the opening kickoff is that team's opportunity to score.  If they fumble and the kicking teams scores (either returning the fumble or converts on offense) the game is over. 

I honestly can't think of a single reason why this shouldn't be implemented. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Interesting how the tune changes when the shoe is on the other foot.  After the colts loss to SD in last year's playoffs no one here was saying Manning deserved a chance with the ball. 

I guess that "walk a mile in my shoes" cliche really does have merit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

The best solution is no overtime. A tie is a tie. Imagine how many implications there would be on running the clock... one team just needing to hold on to stay in the playoffs, one time needing a win (and not a tie) to make the playoffs... I think a "tie" can add a lot of interest.

Football players push hard for 60 minutes. Although they are well paid, we dont need more time for injury. Lets have 60, solid, interesting minutes of game time and leave it at that.

For playoffs, I think that sudden death is OK, but I would reward the ball to the team that was ahead at half-time. Again, add one more little piece of strategy to the time. Take a knee before halftime, or go all-out for a field goal to ensure possession at start of possible OT? Makes it interesting..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

In Response to Re: Best overtime solution:
    [QUOTE]Funny how this works... We're all fine with the OT rules until we lose in OT.  I have yet to here anyone complain about the OT rules when we win in OT.
    Posted by tuckrules[/QUOTE]....DING DING DING! And the winner of the most accurate post is TuckRules. Whine like stuck pigs when it doesnt go your way but say nothing when it goes for you

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

It's funny but I didn't see any posts about this last week? This never comes up if we win that game but since it has here's the stats. It's not as bad as you think. 
    *The stat from 04-to 08 is the team that wins the toss wins the game on a 62% average. Both teams touch the ball 72%.

*note: the 62% doesn't have a breakdown of whether they scored on the opening drive.

Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003)
    Both teams had at least one possession
    261 (72 %)
    Team won toss and won game
    189 (52 %)
    Team lost toss and won game
    160 (44 %)
    Team won toss and drove for winning score
    102 (28 %)
    Games ending in a tie
    15 (5 %)

Overtime games in 2002
    15 (58 %)
    16 (62 %)
    9 (35 %)
    10 (38 %)
    Games ending in a tie
    1 (3 %)

Overtime games in 2003
    16 (70 %)
    12 (52 %)
    11 (48 %)
    6 (26 %)
    Games ending in a tie
    0 (0 %)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

One more thing, don't just focus on the percent of the team that won the toss and the game. Per this discussion you should be focusing on the percent of team that wins the toss and wins the game ON THE OPENING DRIVE.

It's not that high a percentage guys.

I like the idea of staying away from OT all together and winning outright like we all know they should have. Poor execution and bad play calling cost them this L.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

How about each team gets a chance to score a touchdown starting on the opponent's 20 yard line. Play until 1 team scores. The other team gets to match. 

Or start at the 2 point conversion spot  and you get 6 plays. See how many touchdowns you get in 6 plays. Highest wins. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I would agree with the 6 point victory, 2 FG, 1 TD, or 3 Safeties... w.e
    The only problem with the current plan is the cheap FG wins.. You basically have to get about 60 yards and you can win. I dont like that fact. If you make it so the team either has to get 2 FG's or 1 TD, i think that makes it fine. Its very hard for D's to stop a FG but TD is possible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

the best ot solution is to play better and not make stupid mistakes, off sides and roughing penalties , sustain drives , convert third downs, score in the second half , and that will in turn keep you out of ot and you won't have to worry about it............sorry guy but after the Jets lost the divison was there for the taking........and we laid an egg.........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Best overtime solution:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Best overtime solution :      NONSENSE!! The best OT solution is for teams not to get involved in an overtime game. If a team can't win in regulation, then sudden death is just fine. Too many injuries as it is in the NFL, without risking more with a silly college-like solution.      All this whining about it not being fair that one team gets the ball and the other doesn't is silly. If one team were that much better than the other, the OT would have been unnecessary.      The Patriots should have beaten the Broncos by at least 10 points on Sunday. But, they played lousy and got beat. End of story.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

If this really is the answer, then just eliminate overtime altogether. If you can't win in regulation, then it's a f*cking tie and just deal with it.

I mean, if overtime is fine the way it is, then how about we just flip a coin at the beginning and whoever wins that, wins the game.

That should eliminate those pesky injuries.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I don't see that great of an advantage in winning the original toss. The best advantage I can see is choosing to get the ball in second half. If you are on the road, the crowd is still getting food and vacating food. At home, you give the ball to the opposing team at the beginning of the game when the crowd can neutralize some of the advantage.

The biggest issue with OT today is really the placement of the ball for the kick. Before the kickoff was moved to the 30 in 93, OT games were pretty well split down the middle overall with the receiving team winning on the first drive about 25% of the time. After moving it back, the team receiving the ball first started winning more - 43% won it on the first series and overall, 63% of the games were won by the team with the first possession even if the other team had possession once. This is directly attributed to field position. 

In order for OT to be "fair", they need to negate the advantage of field position for the coin toss winner.

Sections
Shortcuts