Best overtime solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Best overtime solution

Not to sound smarmy, but the best way to deal with the overtime is to win the coin toss. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Best overtime solution:
    [QUOTE]How come nowhere in any of this very logical and civil discussion has it been mentioned that the two-point conversion is already in place to give coaches the option, in many cases, of playing to win or to tie in regulation? I like playing devil's advocate as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is mighty ), but I honestly believe that eliminating overtime altogether would make the end of games much more exciting. I would certainly be more interested in watching teams gamble on touchdowns versus field goals, as opposed to gambling on the outcome of a coin toss. And I agree with the guy who said that a few ties scattered throughout the standings would even f*ck up the playoff chase to an entertaining degree.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I'd agree but for the part of me that watches basketball and baseball extended playing time and finds it more exciting.

I know it's a pathetic, Spinal-Tap-esque "this one goes to 11" mentality, but I enjoy overtime, I just wish it could be close-to-guaranteed that both teams touch the ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

How about an overtime that consists of two five-minute halves (a ten-minute mini-game, with two five-minute halves)? The gives each team the chance to receive a kick-off at the beginning of a period, just like in regulation. 

If subsequent overtime periods are necessary to break the tie, shorten the overtime periods to two two-minute halves and keep playing these four-minute mini-games until someone wins. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LasVegasPatsFan. Show LasVegasPatsFan's posts

I never like the OT rules.  It is unfair way of ending a game.  I know that stats show that 52% of the OVT games are won by the team who won the coin toss but what if the most important game, aka SUPERBOWL, was won by the team who won the coin toss?  Trust me, that would change the over time ruling.  This is the second worst overtime rule in sports besides soccer's goalie kicks.  No other sports utilizes the coin toss.  Basketball, Baseball, hockey, college football, ect all have extended play time or innings.  This is a billion dollar industry and only 16 games a season.  These players all make more money in one year than most of us in a life time.  I dont want to hear about injuries because its part of the game.  Was it fair that the Colts lost the playoff game last year?  Did the better team really win?  How about our game last year with the Jets?  Everyone knew the winner would be decided on the coin toss.  It needs to be changed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

[QUOTE]If I had to change the OT rules, I would make a rule that it takes 6 points to win in OT.  Whether its a TD, 2 FG's or 3 Safetys, I don't care.  Make a team have to score 6 pts to win.  If a team goes down field after the coin toss and scores a TD, game over, but a fg would continue the game.
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]

i cant believe noone has thought of this before. what a great idea! it minimizes chance that the team that wins the toss wins the game on the first possesion(26% currently! thats pretty significant), and keeps the game shorter without exchanging endless possesions as in college. only thing i would say is to keep the 15 max quarters (or ten even), and kickoffs should occur as they do normally in the course of the game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]How about an overtime that consists of two five-minute halves (a ten-minute mini-game, with two five-minute halves)? The gives each team the chance to receive a kick-off at the beginning of a period, just like in regulation.  If subsequent overtime periods are necessary to break the tie, shorten the overtime periods to two two-minute halves and keep playing these four-minute mini-games until someone wins. 
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]

I love this right here.

They should eliminate the actual 60-minute game and just do this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best overtime solution : Again, I have considered that.  The team with the opening toss win is getting a very real advantage to start the game receiving the ball.  By the time the second team gets the ball to start the second half, they have had to overcome posssibly playing from behind.  That is a real disadvantage.  So having the other team get choice in the OT counterblances that advantage. In addtion, you still have two problems with your way, first that it would be rejected by all interested parties, amking your proposal moot.  Second, that you would still have to flip a coin to determine who get the ball first in OT. Which puts us back at square one.  Your proposal doesn't solve anything.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

This isn't even a good argument.

"By the time the second team gets the ball to start the second half, they have had to overcome possibly playing from behind."

There is just the very same chance that they scored first and have been playing ahead the whole first half. 

It isn't even accurate as teams are electing to kick after winning the toss. Why do you keep insisting there is an advantage to getting the ball first if teams are so willing to give up that advantage (stat - in the Pats 5 games, the winner has elected to kick 4 out of 5 times.) I would say that teams are seeing a greater advantage in receiving the ball during the second half. While I don't have any statistics, I will go on empirical evidence here.

Yet, I have never seen a team elect to kick when they won the coin toss in OT. Ever. The reason is because there is a far greater advantage in receiving the ball first in OT than there is at the beginning of the game. Stats show that since 1993 when they changed the LoS for the kickoff to the 30 that the winner of the toss (and receiving team) wins the game on the first drive 46% of the time and if they don't win it on the first drive, they still win 63% of the time. 

So, your solution actually penalizes the initial coin toss winner in the eventuality of an overtime. Give each team an equal shot at getting the ball first in OT and flip the coin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]How about an overtime that consists of two five-minute halves (a ten-minute mini-game, with two five-minute halves)? The gives each team the chance to receive a kick-off at the beginning of a period, just like in regulation.  If subsequent overtime periods are necessary to break the tie, shorten the overtime periods to two two-minute halves and keep playing these four-minute mini-games until someone wins. 
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]

Why don't they just play Madden for 10 minutes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]First, those stats don't tell the story. Those are two small slices, and one overly large slice. OT used to be 50/50 before they moved the kickoff back to the 30. Since then, i think the early 1990's, the team that wins the toss wins about 60% of the time. That is a huge 20% imbalance. The remedey is easy. College rules stink, because they remove kicking and punting from the equation, and for some teams that is a legit facet of their advantage. I think the "Cut and Choose" method is the best way. I think it was adapted from conflict resolution models. Really simple. The winner of the toss decides on whether they kick or recieve, and the losing team decides where the ball is kicked from. So a coach who chooses to recieve might be receiving the ball deep in their own territory. And vice versa. I think it puts the onus on coaching strategy, rather than blind luck.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Z,

OT used to be about 25% win on the first drive and 50% win overall if you won the toss. 

Since the LoS change in 1993, that changed to 43% win on the first drive and 63% win overall for winning the toss. Those stats came from a quote from Rich McKay when the Competition Committee was looking at the OT rules in 2007.

The key is in making field position a neutral issue on the first posession. One of the ideas the CC had was to move the kickoff back to the 35 for OT as ostensibly, the percentages would go back to the pre-1993 ones. At first I thought this was nuts, but the more I think of it, the more I see it as viable. 

EDIT: Actually, I remembered the article wrong. The chances did go up for winning the toss after 1993, but they also increased when they introduced the k-ball in 1998. It is due to both changes that the odds of winning has increased.

Note: Does anyone find it ironic that the NFL in expressing its desire to expand the season to 18 games has not mentioned player injury as being a factor yet when the CC talks about OT rules changes, they always mention that they won't go to a 10 or 15 minute OT because of the increased chance of injury?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive but anyway I've read all the great ideas and with careful study and evaluation I came to this conclusion;

MOVE THE FREAKING BALL BACK TO WHERE IT WAS 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive but anyway I've read all the great ideas and with careful study and evaluation I came to this conclusion; MOVE THE FREAKING BALL BACK TO WHERE IT WAS 
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Maybe for OT, but not for the regular game. Less touchbacks=more returns =greater fan excitement=more fans=more money

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best overtime solution : Maybe for OT, but not for the regular game. Less touchbacks=more returns =greater fan excitement=more fans=more money
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

$aGREED$