Best RB in NFL History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Best RB in NFL History

Just curious where people's thoughts are on this. I know my choice and why, but I'm curious to see what other people have to say before I lay all my cards on the table.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Best RB in NFL History

I'm not old enough to have seen Jim Brown play, though I've seen clips of his runs endless times.  With that being said, Barry Sanders is the best running back I've seen play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Brown In 118 career games, averaged 104.3 yards per game and 5.2 yards per carry. None of the NFL’s career rushing leaders come close to these spectacular totals. For example, Walter Payton  averaged only 88 yards per game during his career with a 4.4 yards-per-carry average. Emmitt Smith averaged only 81.2 yards per game with a 4.2 yards-per-carry average. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I second Barry....

I think it all comes down to your age, as I never saw JB play either. 

Emmit was awesome too... but I agree with the same old line... "if Barry had Emmit's O-line... could you imagine??"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

What if Mr. Brown had Emmit's Oline?  JB averaged a 1 yard more per carry and 25 more per game as it was. He would have average 9 yards per carry and 150 a game.....maybe.

BTW where's the love for Lawrence MaroneyCool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

Why is Maroney not on that list?

I wonder whether Jim Brown can gain that kind of real estate running against today's bigger, stronger and faster defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I thought the same thing about Brown with respect to more modern defenses...and then I think back to highlights I've seen, and the Dirty Dozen...that dude is badass in any decade. But still, Barry gets my vote, that guy was pure magic on the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Adrian Peterson might have something to say when its all said & done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Yea I would say he was big enough. Also he was in absolute peak condition and could run all day from his lacrosse days at Syracuse.

Jim Brown during his tenure with the Browns.
    No. 32     
    Running back / Fullback
    Personal information
    Date of birth: February 17, 1936 (age 73)
    Place of birthSt. Simons Island, Georgia
    High SchoolManhasset High School
    Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)Weight: 232 lb (105 kg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Jim Brown was the best. However, if not cut short by injuries, Gale Sayers could have challenged Brown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

maroney has my vote...   ...  ...  ...  ok im awake now.I said what?

barry sanders hands down.if he had stayed in,but the lowly lions did him wrong.who knows where he would have been in the stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

At 44 years old I've never seen anyone better than Barry Sanders. I always considered Eric Dickerson the 2nd best I've seen although he really fell off after a contract dispute and an injury but he was fun to watch run. If we're going to throw in the old timers there are a lot good stories about Bronco Nagurski too. Unfortunately I can only judge by what I've seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

AP fumbles the ball way too much. In  the last few years Kevin Faulk seems to have gotten his case of fumbleitis under control. So AP still might do that. But I can't include someone in GOAT conversation when they put the ball on the ground as much as AP does.

I also never saw Jim Brown play. But Barry Sanders isn't a dirtbag that beats women. So I would go with Barry. I can't think of any other player in any other sport that I would watch a game just for that one player. He was fun to watch. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Three names come to mind when I hear this question. Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Walter Payton. All different runners with different styles. Obviously Brown and Sanders were complete opposites but Payton did it while using both power and elusiveness. Payton gets my vote.

Having said that. If I wanted to take any back from history and drop him on the Pats roster it is Marshall Faulk no doubt. Imagine the other Faulk in our backfield catching passes from Brady.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Barry Sander, Barry Sanders, Barry Sanders, Barry Sander.

He was the best, by a good measure.

And he retired a couple of years early, to boot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Best RB in NFL History:
    [QUOTE]Three names come to mind when I hear this question. Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Walter Payton. All different runners with different styles. Obviously Brown and Sanders were complete opposites but Payton did it while using both power and elusiveness. Payton gets my vote. Having said that. If I wanted to take any back from history and drop him on the Pats roster it is Marshall Faulk no doubt. Imagine the other Faulk in our backfield catching passes from Brady.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I don't think that picking one of several great backs, all of whom played under different circumstances at different times in history and who did different things is really meaningful.

Having said that, if someone held a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd go with Brown.

I saw Jim Brown play and he is undoubtedly one of the best. Was sanders or Payton better? They were certainly more elusive that Brown but Brown could bowl over people that they couldn't, so, which is more important?

I suggest a top 10 list, involving guys with different styles and taking into consideration the teams for which they played. Mine would include;

Jim Brown
    Gale Sayers
    Barry Sanders
    OJ
    Walter Payton
    Eric Dickerson
    Emmit Smith
    John Riggins
    Earl Campbell
    Marshall Faulk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Best RB in NFL History:
    [QUOTE]Jim Brown was the best. However, if not cut short by injuries, Gale Sayers could have challenged Brown.
    Posted by Yapple[/QUOTE]

I enjoy watching Gale Sayers run more than anyone else mentioned here. I don't know what art is, but I know it when I see it- and it's Gale Sayers running. Poetry in motion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Sanders just made moves that didn't seem humanly possible.

Especially when you consider how BAD the teams were on which Sanders played, you have to be amazed that ANYONE could somehow find a way to gain 15,000+ yards.

Sanders knew he was getting the ball.  Other teams knew Barry Sanders was getting the ball.  The fans all knew Sanders was getting the ball, and all of their mothers even knew he was getting the ball.

And he still juked 3, 4, 5 guys out of their pants.

Amazing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

I was fortunate enough to see Jim Brown play, and he was something very special. But, the Browns were a very good team then, with an excellent offensive line. Note than after Jim Brown retired, the Browns line made an all-star out of RB Leroy Kelly. 
    A playoff team for many years after Jim Brown left, the Browns had a very balanced offense - Paul Warfield in his prime, for example. 

Barry Sanders, though, had little/no help. So, Barry Sanders gets my vote.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

statistically hes not the best, but earl campbell has always been my favorite.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from condog24. Show condog24's posts

wheres the love for OJ? hes such a good leader on and off the field. I really hope he finds his wifes killer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

Barry Sanders hands down.

If his career wasn't cut short by injury Gale Sayers would be mentioned a lot more.
    His film is unbelievable and he averaged 5 yards a carry for a bad Bears team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Nice list. I take Marcus Allen and Roger Craig over Riggins. For about 5 years Earl Campbell was the RB you least wanted to tackle. Brown was the total package, I know that sounds trite, however, I have always felt that Brown would have dominated in any era. I take Sanders over Emmit (LINEPLAY, Fontes vs. Jimmy Johnson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slapointe1232. Show slapointe1232's posts

He's too young right now to officially crown him best ever, but Adrian Peterson has already surpassed 1,000 yards this season.  He hasn't had a season with less than 1,000.  He's damn good. Get him a few rings and we'll see...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

M Faulk gets points for being such a great receiver out of the backfield.

Who was the best receiver among the rest of this list?

Sections
Shortcuts